• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you looking forward the most and why? Xenoblade X or FFXV?

SPAW

Yet FFXV is getting more heat due to people not actually believing it will ever be released.

That's probably to some degree also true. At the same time, if you just go back 1-2 pages in this thread and you will see a surprisingly large number of posters that say that FFXIII have soured them against FFXV.

rbenchley

FF XV.

I enjoyed Xenoblade, but not so much that I'm willing to purchase a WiiU for a single game and the library of other exclusives for that system isn't particularly to my taste.

I've always enjoyed the FF games, love Japanese action RPGs (Dark Souls, Tales Games, tri-Ace Games) and I like that I'll most likely have a choice between playing the game on the PS4 or PC.

Not everyone will like everything about everything. FFXIII did a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong, but every FF is judged by its own merits.

Personally? FFXV looks boring as hell. The battle system looks awesome, but every character seems like a cookie cutter zero personality angsty teen, and I already got my fix of that with anime.

Also, how long has this game been in development? I think its the third longest developed videogame in history, right behind Too Human and Duke Nukem Forever.
We barely know anything about the cast to come up with such assumptions.

Personally, I'm not interested in Xenoblade Chronicles X because I never played the first game. That, and I know nearly nothing about the game besides there being a big world and mechs.

From what I've seen of FFXV(especially recently), everything's been hitting the right notes for me.

Ishida

Banned
We barely know anything about the cast to come up with such assumptions.

Personally, I'm not interested in Xenoblade Chronicles X because I never played the first game. That, and I know nearly nothing about the game besides there being a big world and mechs.

From what I've seen of FFXV(especially recently), everything's been hitting the right notes for me.

In fact, everything we know about them points at the exact opposite to "angsty".

garath

I'd say Xenoblade X but I'm not going to buy a Wii U for it. It'd be the only game I'd want on the system.

So FFXV it is.

In fact, everything we know about them points at the exact opposite to "angsty".
What "angtsy" teen would be having a BBQ in the open with his best friends? The most outgoing one seems to be Prompto. To me, he's like the "bubbly, cheerful, outgoing" girl of the group, but male. Like, he's the male version of characters like Yuffie, Selphie, Rikku, Vanille, that one cheerful girl from FFXII.

Ishida

Banned
What "angtsy" teen would be having a BBQ in the open with his best friends? The most outgoing one seems to be Prompto. To me, he's like the "bubbly, cheerful, outgoing" girl of the group, but male. Like, he's the male version of characters like Yuffie, Selphie, Rikku, Vanille, that one cheerful girl from FFXII.

And Noctis seems to be very easy going and cheerful like Tidus, in a way.

And Noctis seems to be very easy going and cheerful like Tidus, in a way.
Yeah, he looks pretty chill so far. Just snoozing in the car, perhaps trying to get his mind off the war that's going on. Gladiolus and Ignis seem like the big brother types. I think the only reasons people think Noctis is "emo" or "angtsy" are because of the first trailers showing him fighting enemey soldiers, and his all black clothing and hairstyle.

Ishida

Banned
Yeah, he looks pretty chill so far. Just snoozing in the car, perhaps trying to get his mind off the war that's going on. Gladiolus and Ignis seem like the big brother types. I think the only reasons people think Noctis is "emo" or "angtsy" are because of the first trailers showing him fighting enemey soldiers, and his all black clothing and hairstyle.

Yeah, pretty much. All the dumb statements about them looking "angsty" and "emo" can be tracked to them dressing in black, or the hairstyle. Just ridiculous, but haters gonna hate.

Yeah, pretty much. All the dumb statements about them looking "angsty" and "emo" can be tracked to them dressing in black, or the hairstyle. Just ridiculous, but haters gonna hate.
I can't wait until we get more back story and info on summons and events. I wonder if they can add events via patches, like MMOs...they'll most likely come as DLC :(

. From what I gather about the story of FF15, it's about a spoiled-as-fuck prince whose kingdom gets overthrown and he gets his first taste of the world as he works to fight back. That may not be exactly how it is, but consider this: The last two times I saw footage of the game, one was of the boy's father telling him to eat his dinner or else the servant will be punished. The next time I saw it, he and his friends were riding off in a Porsche, engaging in the Final Fantasy equivalent of cow-tipping.

1.Noctis a spoiled kid ?? Nah dont think so....A spoiled Kid would not go on a Adventure to save his Kingdom.

This is a spoiled Kid !
game-of-thrones-season-2-joffrey.jpg

Dat little Boy Noctis just didnt want to eat his soup. Did you always eat everything that was on the table without grumping

2.That isnt a Porshe...Its a royal car. He is the prince of an the most advanced Nation in the Game. What do you expect? To ride on a camel?

Xenoblade X. Because I haven't played a FF game that I liked since FF9, and Xeno on Wii was one of the best RPG experiences I've had since Lost Odyssey.

Zero²;137214847 said:
Wut?? My guess you never played any of Takahashi's games then.
Really if anything, the only thing that xeno has above the FFs in general, is the plot and story.

He didn't write Xenoblade 1 then?
Let's forget legacy for a moment. Chronicles has done less than nothing to get me hyped for it's story[instead I've seen a lot of tropes I hate in the previews], while FFXV has grabbed me in that regard[by giving me the setting I've wanted in a jrpg since the ps2 days]. Simple as that.

Ishida

Banned
Now that the (fantastic) new trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X is out, I wonder what the guy who complained about FFXV's "lack of cohesiveness" thinks about XCX now, with the whole "suburban neighboor" and the city looking so modern-day (Except the cars) in a world with aliens, giant robots and futuristic armor.

loMAMrd.jpg

goTjYub.png

KoopaTheCasual

Now that the (fantastic) new trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X is out, I wonder what the guy who complained about FFXV's "lack of cohesiveness" thinks about XCX now, with the whole "suburban neighboor" and the city looking so modern-day (Except the cars) in a world with aliens, giant robots and futuristic armor.

loMAMrd.jpg

goTjYub.png
Can we please not do this?

Both games look great. Both games are a clusterfuck of aesthetics and that's a good thing. I love games, especially JRPGs that can mix vistas in a single connected world.

Vyrance

I'm sure both will be good. Right now I only have a PC, but plan on getting a PS4 eventually most likely. So looking forward to FFXV

Ishida

Banned
Can we please not do this?

Both games look great. Both games are a clusterfuck of aesthetics and that's a good thing. I love games, especially JRPGs that can mix vistas in a single connected world.

I am not criticizing the game. In fact I loved everything I saw about it. I'm not complaining about the contrast in the aeshetics, I'm just mentioning this because there was some guy who ranted about how contrasting the world of FFXV was, with "medieval knights" and "Cadillacs".

And now Xenoblade Chronicles X shows this, a modern-day suburban neighborhood and also futuristic technology, which should trigger the same complain.

Skilletor

I am not criticizing the game. In fact I loved everything I saw about it. I'm not complaining about the contrast in the aeshetics, I'm just mentioning this because there was some guy who ranted about how contrasting the world of FFXV was, with "medieval knights" and "Cadillacs".

And now Xenoblade Chronicles X shows this, a modern-day suburban neighborhood and also futuristic technology, which should trigger the same complain.

I was honestly wondering the same thing. I don't care enough to go back and check, though.

Halabane

I am happy both games are coming out and I will play both. This is more about how I am perceiving what they have so far told us.

One looks like a sci fi world I want to explore. Looks massive and has some huge monsters to fight. Seemed to have a co-op mode and looked like ARPG combat. It also seems to have city and an alien population that is going to allow me to walk around in.

The other looks like a buddy road trip. Great tech and visuals. Combat looked like ffxiii and some batman combo?

Based on that...I am very much looking forward to using my wii-u and that control pad finally for what God made it for....RPGs. ;)

Right now it's easily Xenoblade X. FFXV is looking good and a bit weird at the same time. I'm still very guarded overall because Square is on a bad track record on new final fantasy launches. While every time i have seen Xenoblade it seems like an even bigger rpg adventure.

loMAMrd.jpg

goTjYub.png
That second pic looks straight out of GTA V.

KoopaTheCasual

Ok, but there's no reason to try to summon that jerk back.

He was clearly a troll, who kept on changing his tune on what to gripe about, no matter how inconsistent his complaints were.

Ishida

Banned
That second pic looks straight out of GTA V.

Yep, except with worse graphics.

Ok, but there's no reason to try to summon that jerk back.

He was clearly a troll, who kept on changing his tune on what to gripe about, no matter how inconsistent his complaints were.

You are right, but I can't deny that I instantly thought of his comments when I was watching the XCX trailer. "Huh..funny how things turn out..."

loMAMrd.jpg

goTjYub.png

This is New LA, the city the survivors of earth build on the alien planet. If course it looks different from the rest of the planet.

Skilletor

This is New LA, the city the survivors of earth build on the alien planet. If course it looks different from the rest of the planet.

Sure, it makes perfect sense that a city on an entirely different planet from Earth would look exactly like a city on earth. swimming pool, trees, folliage and everything else.

I mean, I don't care either way, but it is kind of silly that this is so far in the future and yet the cars and construction look current day. nevermind that they're not even on Earth. If the car in FF15 looks out of place, then the city and everything in those two screens of xenoblade should as well. If we're following the same logic.

Ishida

Banned

Dude, I know that. I'm not complaining, I actually LIKE IT. The reason I mentioned the contrast, was because one guy complained about the contrast in the FFXV world, while praising the "cohesiveness" in the XCX world's aesthetics.

Was New LA actually built on that planet after they landed? For some reason, I was under the impression that the city was on that ship that crashed in the earlier trailer. On the outside of the city, it looks like it crash landed there (all the blue crystal things shooting out from it on the sides of the circle). I assumed the city was that blue thing that dropped from the big ships. Not sure though.

-Horizon-

I thought the city was already inside the circular ship thing that fell to the planet. Kind of like a biodome thing. Carved out of the earth before they left the planet to preserve a sense of what they're leaving behind.

Didn't know it was built after the fact.

loMAMrd.jpg

goTjYub.png

i was thinking the exact same thing during that Video.

But like FFXV i think these diversities are giving the games that special thing

So as a side note not comparing these games directly, is it just me or is the way info is being distributed really mediocre for both titles? You get large gaps of nothing and have to wait for info that is really seemingly random in what is given. It doesn't feel like they have a marketing or delivery system in place and I personally find it a bit cruddy.

For 15 we are getting all these poor off screen videos (dunno if no video was suppose to be taken at that event or not though) and the game is demoed with constant things removed. I know they wanna show the world's expansiveness but I do sort of find it boring to watch a character run across a big field and see barely any enemies or events in it. In Xenoblade pretty much the only competent thing they've shown is the E3 treehouse footage. All the rest is just random snippets everywhere without any real good explanations of anything else going on.

I know there are several different an effective ways to show games off but I feel like the content delivery for these two huge RPGs is underwhelming. Agree or disagree?

Edit: Apparently there is direct feed for the newest 15 stuff. So I apologize for the ignorance on my part in that regard.

daftstar

FFXV. I'm a sucker for aesthetics and Square has a track for delivering that (at least in terms of presentation). I'm sure the gameplay will be solid too based on what we've already seen/heard.

Not a fan of XCX's character design and MMO-esque combat system.

Skilletor

I have no issue with the way footage is distributed for either game recently. There is direct feed footage of the recent FF15 stuff as well.

sublimit

Banned
So as a side note not comparing these games directly, is it just me or is the way info is being distributed really mediocre for both titles? You get large gaps of nothing and have to wait for info that is really seemingly random in what is given. It doesn't feel like they have a marketing or delivery system in place and I personally find it a bit cruddy.

For 15 we are getting all these poor off screen videos (dunno if no video was suppose to be taken at that event or not though) and the game is demoed with constant things removed. I know they wanna show the world's expansiveness but I do sort of find it boring to watch a character run across a big field and see barely any enemies or events in it. In Xenoblade pretty much the only competent thing they've shown is the E3 treehouse footage. All the rest is just random snippets everywhere without any real good explanations of anything else going on.

I know there are several different an effective ways to show games off but I feel like the content delivery for these two huge RPGs is underwhelming. Agree or disagree?

Well for XCX we've been getting a steady flow of trailers and information for a while now with the peak being the Treehouse events.Sure it could have been better (the game is coming out in Spring and Nintendo hasn't even made an official site yet) but usually information and PR peaks around the game's release.

On the other hand SE's way of treating FFVersusXIII/FFXV fans has been abysmal for many years with only recently trying to wake up from their slumber.I'm actually surprised at how more open they have become lately regarding FFXV.They probably wanted to take the opportunity of the switch between directors and present Tabata as a more "open" person than Nomura although we all know that Nomura's forced secrecy was a result of his higher ups.I kinda feel bad for him to be honest.

Hopefully we will start getting more information about both games as we're getting closer to their releases.FFXV will have a playable demo in March so that i think is the best way to present information.

There are direct-feed video for everything FFXV, they are just not as good quality as the TGS trailer, since it was a quick-made video to show people what to expect from the game, and not a full blown trailer. They are actually revealing things in a great pace.

XCX could have used a longer trailer in this last direct, but their overall strategy is pretty solid. The world is huge yet we saw basically nothing of it. City is very different from normal JRPG standards and they only show quick clips of it. Underexposure so that when you buy the game everything is fresh.

This is what happened with Xenoblade originally, everything was new and we only saw bits and pieces of it. It turned out great because the entire game was new.

The problem with XCX strategy is that there may not be enough advertising for the game. And it may end up selling about as much as the original (or less considering the Wii userbase at the time vs the Wii U userbase now), which is not very good.

I have no issue with the way footage is distributed for either game recently. There is direct feed footage of the recent FF15 stuff as well.

That's good to know then. Clearly I'm a lil behind the info too. But yeah I dunno, I guess I just like streamlined predictable content distribution. I'm impatient haha

I've yet to play Xenoblade Chronicles, so it's FFXV. Even if I had played it, I would probably still mostly look forward to FF just since it would be a new story and without Lightning.

JoJoSono

Banned
I thought the city was already inside the circular ship thing that fell to the planet. Kind of like a biodome thing. Carved out of the earth before they left the planet to preserve a sense of what they're leaving behind.

Didn't know it was built after the fact.

So it's like Macross? Though there was an exact reason that they had the city inside.

Still looks pretty dumb that would waste thier time making luxurious American homes on a new planet where they are fighting to survive. Guess we'll have to find out though.

That's good to know then. Clearly I'm a lil behind the info too. But yeah I dunno, I guess I just like streamlined predictable content distribution. I'm impatient haha

In terms of FFXV there will be every month a Square Enix Presents Show.(Tabatas Show or how they call it)

The first Show was in September shortly after the TGS Conference and focussed on the Gameplay to clear up the Misunderstandings

The second show was last week and focused on the Open World of the Game

Next Show is in December during the Jump Festa

in March there will be Demo called Episode Duscae

In June we have the E3

So we will get overflowed with new Infos during the next months

ugoo18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKKiODpn6Fg#t=233

Except you know the entire city of Neo LA was literally lifted from earth inside of an Arc ship.

I don't know what you're trying to imply but i hold XCX and Xenoblade to the same form of scrutiny in terms of consistency.

Case in point my most recent playthough of Xenoblade

30+ hours into my Dolphin replay and i remember this lol.

How does the transition from Makna Forest to the Eryth sea even work?

It's something that hasn't made sense to me since my first playthrough of Xenoblade and still doesn't make sense in this one.

In the opening video you dive into Eryth Sea and end up in Makna Forest, you also head up from Makna Forest to the Eryth Sea after you first meet Melia. Unless i'm mistaken that would mean that the Eryth sea is above Makna forest meaning Makna forest should be underwater then yet it's significantly higher than the river that flows through it. A river that is fed by a waterfall from somewhere that is not the Eryth sea considering that the Eryth sea is hemmed in by sheer rock walls/cliffs on every side.

I sure hope XCX's transitions aren't as dubious although the Makna Forest to Eryth sea one is the only one that i remember for now from Xenoblade.

A sea suspended in the air......

Well anything is possible i guess in a game with its world built on two beings lol. Although the next question i guess is how the gravity of the Bionis overrides the gravity of whatever holds the endless sea in order to suspend the Eryth sea.

Feel free to keep thinking i'm out for FFXV blood or trying to put it down against XCX, not like there's proof otherwise but whatever also if you're going to criticize me for something actually do it for what i said. I never once mentioned having a problem with the Cadillac so you and whoever else that seems to think i did probably should actually see who did before throwing around statements like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKKiODpn6Fg#t=233

Except you know the entire city of Neo LA was literally lifted from earth inside of an Arc ship.

I don't know what you're trying to imply but i hold XCX and Xenoblade to the same form of scrutiny in terms of consistency.

Case in point my most recent playthough of Xenoblade

Feel free to keep thinking i'm out for FFXV blood or trying to put it down against XCX, not like there's proof otherwise but whatever also if you're going to criticize me for something actually do it for what i said. I never once mentioned having a problem with the Cadillac so you and whoever else that seems to think i did probably should actually see who did before throwing around statements like that.

He is trying to say that the same criticism of juxtaposition of art styles that was applied to FFXV but one dude (was it you?) can be applied to X. Which I feel is beyond doubt. This has nothing to do with whatever story justification they come up with, it is about aesthetic cohesion. I personally don't mind the case in either. I really like the FFXV aesthetic and feel the grounded in reality style is pretty good, particularly considering the environments actually look and feel realistic relative to basically any other RPG I have seen. I like the crazy X environments as well, and don't mind the modern day juxtaposition, Xenogears had some of that as well.

Top Bottom