• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you looking forward the most and why? Xenoblade X or FFXV?

Boss Man

I understand being concerned because they haven't showed a lot of the game world but I don't understand how those photos show it to be a linear game.
Roads and hallways? Do any of those buildings on the road look explorable? I guess I'm assuming, but it seems obvious. I do very genuinely hope that I'm wrong, but this looks exactly like Crisis Core to me. Which could have been a cool spin-off (Versus) I guess.

It's not really like CC though, Nomura specifically stated the traversable world map is like the 2D FF world maps only in 3D, in a later interview he specified the world map and area maps were going to share the same camera view and that the world map itself is 1:1 in scale with the characters, also that airships, chocobo's, cars, magitek armor and other means of travel are going to be usable on the world map.

Also the games world director and the graphic director for the map both worked on FF9 and some FF's prior to that.

The game is made up of area maps which sit inside the overarching world map, which is like the structure of FF1-9, only that the camera view for both the area maps and the world map will be the same, and the reason for this was to add consistently and make it feel seamless between area maps and the world map.

You can think something like DQ8's map.
Looking forward to being proven wrong, just not going to hold my breath.

X, and I really can not describe just how large the gap between them is. Maybe "5 times the size of Xenoblade".

Monolith just made my second favourite game of all time... probably my #1, but nostalgia keeps it from climbing higher if I'm to be honest. I never expected to love the game as much as I do, as for 12 years pre-Xenoblade my top 5 were untouchable heights to me.

Then we've got Square who's been completely out of touch with me for so so long now, and just spent an entire generation running their reputation straight into the ground. Hell, XIII was the very first game I played in my life that I did not enjoy. Sure I'm playing XIV and I do enjoy it, but even that can't hold a candle to their past. Admittedly that "#1" game of mine I mentioned earlier is a Square game... but that was about 2 decades ago, they aren't the same now.

X is more of what shattered my expectations but expanded with new ways and features I'm excited for. XIV just has very little appeal shown to me so far, from a company that shattered all of my goodwill.

Shiina

XV because I have no intention of buying a Wii U any time soon. If I had both consoles then probably Xenoblade X because I don't have much faith in Square-Enix anymore.

zroid

Banned
I don't currently trust Square Enix to make FFXV good so I am being pretty pessimistic about it overall. I haven't really liked what I've seen so far either. Not what I want in a mainline FF game. That said, I want them to change my mind and I'm very willing to do so if given the chance.

Xenoblade is Xenoblade so of course I'm hyped!

Sotha_Sil

I didn't like the gameplay I saw from X, and who knows when FFXV will ever show up. Neither are really on the radar for me.

DJIzana

Oh how funny you all are by saying "X because it'll actually come out unlike FFXV", really.

The original Xenoblade was announced 3 years after FFVersus XIII was announced, came out before it and Xenoblade Chronicles X was announced and will release before FFXV. During that time, we have also had 3 full days of the game being shown off at the show floor at E3 AND a release window. More than I can say for FFXV so why is that reason such a horrible reason to have?

Edit: I should also state I've been waiting since 2006 right along side Kagari since it was announced.

mrlion

FFXV followed by Persona 5

I never managed to get into Xenoblade no matter how many times I try to play the game I just can't get into it so I really have no feelings for Xenoblade X at all.

FFXV, while suffering from more delays, has more appeal to me than Xenoblade X.

sn00zer

FFXV is my most anticipated game ever.... been wanting an action RPG with a Final Fantasy budget and world since I first saw Kingdom Hearts

Roads and hallways? Do any of those buildings on the road look explorable? I guess I'm assuming, but it seems obvious. I do very genuinely hope that I'm wrong, but this looks exactly like Crisis Core to me. Which could have been a cool spin-off (Versus) I guess.

What buildings on the road? I mean, four of those images take place in the same large outdoor arena so that doesn't really tell us much, and another takes place during what seems to be a boss battle, so that's not a particularly good example either. There's that image of them in the wilderness, but we aren't watching them explore or looking at a map of the area. I just don't understand how people can get a feel for how linear the game is going to be (I'm assuming you're talking about world/level design instead of how you progress through the main story) from images and footage that focus heavily on the combat.

Philippo

The original Xenoblade was announced 3 years after FFVersus XIII was announced, came out before it and Xenoblade Chronicles X was announced and will release before FFXV. During that time, we have also had 3 full days of the game being shown off at the show floor at E3 AND a release window. More than I can say for FFXV so why is that reason such a horrible reason to have?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be part of the reason, just that we got it, nobody's happy about the situation of the game, but half of the posts here are just that :)

DJIzana

I'm not saying it shouldn't be part of the reason, just that we got it, nobody's happy about the situation of the game, but half of the posts here are just that :)

That's fair enough. In concept FFXV has a lot more appealing about it but the fact the game hasn't come out yet and almost every time we see it shown, it's greatly changed so... I dunno really what to think.

Foffy

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles X. So far, Final Fantasy XV has been nothing but miasmic hype with very little shown to even warrant the hype it's getting.

The other is actually a video game that has had significant details and footage released in a realistic timeframe.

mstevens

Honestly, I know Xenoblade X will be great no matter what.. But I think FFXV has the potential to be greater. It remains to be seen whether or not it lives up to that potential, but for now I'm more looking forward to finding that out.

coldone

I have lost all my trust on Square to make a decent game. After FF-13, 13-2, Lighting returns.. it is going to be a wifu simulator than being a decent RPG.

Xenoblade is a slam dunk choice.
- Nintendo as a publisher has always delivered on quality
- I trust the developer. They have stuck to the guns and not worry about being flashy

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Not really looking forward to Xenoblade X, actually at the moment it's not at all on my radar, same happened with the prequel before it. I just don't find them appealing enough to me. I'll go with FFXV of course.

From what I have read, FFXV isn't much more than PR talk and cinematic trailers at the moment. I have no clue if it will be good or not, but at this time this thread has really no reason to exist, simply because we have an hour of footage of one game and very little of anything of the other.
Why even comparing them? They are only roughly the same genre, even.

Philippo

That's fair enough. In concept FFXV has a lot more appealing about it but the fact the game hasn't come out yet and almost every time we see it shown, it's greatly changed so... I dunno really what to think.

Does it? To me it looks pretty much the same from the 2011, aside from the characters design (sadly) and the added flashiness (but that was in Nomura's head since the very beginning). Everything else looks to stick to their initial vision, if not even improved by the generational jump. But then again, nobody will be convinced until we see an actual airship rolling around the world :)

Tagg9

I saw the Xenoblade gameplay video from E3 Treehouse and was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm not looking forward to Xenoblade at all, whereas I'm still slightly hyped for FFXV.

DJIzana

Does it? To me it looks pretty much the same from the 2011, aside from the characters design (sadly) and the added flashiness (but that was in Nomura's head since the very beginning). Everything else looks to stick to their initial vision, if not even improved by the generational jump. But then again, nobody will be convinced until we see an actual airship rolling around the world :)

That's precisely it. People know it will deliver because we've seen it on the show floor already. FFXV (in any of its forms) has never been on a floor demo.

Xenoblade X, even though I HATE the anime faces. I might still get it.
Persona 5 and Final Fantasy are just franchises I can't get behind.

Kingdom Hearts on the other hand, I'm all aboard that train.

qgwlAN8.gif

Astral Dog

Really? both,its a little unfair, as one is from a far more recognizable franchise and has much better graphics, and is a "true Next Gen" game, but at least we know what developer is the most efficient, on the other hand, X has a mute protagonist and a different composer, and i am concerned about that.

for me it is:

1) Persona 5
2) Xenoblade CX
3) Tales of Zesteria
4. FFXV
5) Unannounced Tales of PS4 game.

1) Persona 5
2) Bloodborne
3) FFXV
4) XCX
5) Type 0 HD

My top 5. Top 3 are far above the other's in terms of hype.

The game has always been said to be an Action RPG, one said to have large areas to move around in and one where you can switch between party members, this has not changed, and we can see that backed up since the first propoer combat shown in the 2011 footage, the world map has been mentioned multiple times over the years too.

The paved road and gas station on the decaying terrain seen in 2010 was said to be part of the world map, and were said to be the world map section you see as soon as you leave Lucis, as the narrative itself was already confirmed in 2013 to be completely intact from what it was when it was Versus, the reason for that part of the world map having decaying terrain would be a narrative purpose, meaning they have not changed it.

The game was moved platform and a name change, but the game itself is still the same game, we already know things such as warping/teleporting and on the fly weapon switching were going to be in the game since 2006, where that concept reveal was made for us to imagine what a game where a character could do things depicted in that trailer would play like, we saw an early version of it in play in 2011, and a refined version in 2013.

The 2011 footage showed combat in certain areas of Lucis's area map, specifically inner city areas, shopping districts and crossings, and those grassy field shots were said to be part of the world map.

The 2013 trailer only showed area maps, and only certain parts of them at that, it showed only the area right in front of the main Lucis tower, this same tower which can be seen in all the trailers in some capacity, and in Accordo some places here and there, but not any of the world map.

In addition, it's still using the same character animations used in the 2010 and 2011 footage in the 2013 footage, just because it didn't show the same exact places on the area maps seen in the 2010 or 2011 footage doesn't mean those somehow aren't in the game anymore.

AdzGDt6.jpg

Yeah that logic baffles me. Just because they have not shown it in the new trailer somehow it means its no in the game lol.

It seems many people here weren't following Versus.

I have lost all my trust on Square to make a decent game. After FF-13, 13-2, Lighting returns.. it is going to be a wifu simulator than being a decent RPG.

Its made by a different team so.....

M-PG71C

Both are going to be pretty fucking amazing....but.

Xenoblade X first by far, it'll actually come out within the next year. I'm not confident about the other. When it was announced, I was in high school and since then I have been through college, married, moved, and is now considering going back to school for my DNP to become a NP. Son of a bitch, it might be done before I finish the degree. :/

olimpia84

Xenoblade X of course. Loved Xenoblade for the Wii (one of my favorite RPGs of all time easily) so I'm definitely looking forward to X.

As much as i want to get hyped about FF 15 (for me it´s Versus), i can´t. I fear they will kill the franchise with this game. In my opinion they shouldn´t even call it Final Fantasy. And i don´t understand why some people think the long development is a good sign and it could be a revolution for J-RPGs.

I am looking forward to Xenoblade X, cause i loved Xenoblade on Wii and also the other RPGs of Monolithsoft. Exploring this big world will be fun. That said i don´t know if Xenoblade X will be as good as Xenoblade was, we still have to see more trailers.

Voliko

Honestly maybe FFXV if only because it seems like it will be a fresh take on FF. Xenoblade X looks largely the same as Xenoblade. I get the impression that Monolith is playing it a little too safe and that XBX might stick to the formula of the original too closely. I mean, it's a decent formula, but I don't think it's exceptional. The battle system in particular gets really boring until you fight the super bosses at the end of the game and you really have to think about builds. Who knows just how different it will be until it comes out though.

Also, Shimomura finally scoring a mainline FF is enough for me to be more hyped for FFXV. I can't believe Sawano is the composer for XBX :/

wmlk

Also, Shimomura finally scoring a mainline FF is enough for me to be more hyped for FFXV. I can't believe Sawano is the composer for XBX :/

I agree. Sawano is a hack for the most part, IMO. Xenoblade's sound team with Shimomura, Mitsuda, ACE+, Kiyota was quintessential JRPG music.

Hazu

To be honest, FFXV is the reason I bought a PS3 in the first place, so I'm obviously more hyped about it than Xenoblade X. However, Xenoblade was my favorite game last generation, so I can't wait to play it either.

My only concern about Xenoblade X so far is the character modeling. I hope they work on that.

Riki

Xenoblade X will be the RPG of the generation.
Just like Xenoblade was RPG of last.

A huge, beautifully crafted world. Great characters and story. Music that blows your mind. Fun combat.

Really no contest.

udivision

My only concern about Xenoblade X so far is the character modeling. I hope they work on that.

I'm guessing for a chunk (maybe most?) of their character models, they just used their character creator. This means that they probably won't have the "cutscene" models in addition to the "normal models" that a game like Final Fantasy always does. All this to say... I don't think the ugly faces are gonna go away.

Final Fantasy XV. XenoX is looking great and all but I've been waiting for FFXV since the first trailer for VersusXIII. My hype has settled enough for me to remain calm over the years but whenever a new trailer drops I'm shaking.

But nothing holds my anticipation more than Kingdom Hearts III. The only thing that could attempt to touch that would have to be FFXII ReMake with the whole of the Ivalice Alliance games encompassed in one package and connected in chronological order.

Final Fantasy XV for sure. I have only been let down by one mainline FF game, and that was the original incarnation of XIV. My favorite game series gets the most attention.

But I would be lying if I said I wasn't dying to play Xenoblade X as well. Looks like it will be incredible. I guess I could pit them against eachother and call one shit, but I won't because I am excited as hell for both of them.

Mory Dunz

I'm guessing for a chunk (maybe most?) of their character models, they just used their character creator. This means that they probably won't have the "cutscene" models in addition to the "normal models" that a game like Final Fantasy always does. All this to say... I don't think the ugly faces are gonna go away.

At least you can make the main character look good by shrinking his/her eyes.

ymmv

Banned
Xenoblade X. No contest.

Xenoblade was the best RPG I played in the previous gen. I enjoyed my XIII playthrough, but Xenoblade beat it on the actual battle system, the exploration, the leveling, the story, the scale of the world. What made it even more surprising was that it was a Wii game.

I have absolute faith in Monolith to release Xenoblade X this year. They've been working on it for more than four years and they've got an actual game to demo. SE hasn't shown nothing but trailers and only bits of gameplay in the past eight years and no one knows if FFXV is a 2015 or 2016 title.

flux1

Xenoblade. Final Fantasy hasn't done anything for me in a long time, so I don't care much for the series. Where as the Xenoblade previews was one of the factors that pushed me to get a Wii U.

Bazztek

Banned

Smaller sections as part of a large area map doesn't somehow make the map linear, one of those shots is an interior of a building, which doesn't tell us anything other than it's a part of a building interior, it's not anymore linear than building interiors in previous FF games, and we can already see doors which would obviously imply other rooms, that road section is part of the inner city, we've already seen diverging paths extending from it and we can see how the main castle tower connects to it, the other section is part of the place in front of the main tower, which I don't get how you can say it's linear just from seeing that seeing they showed both vertical and horizontal movement on that part of the map, and that footage was confined to that main tower area to begin with, we've also already seen other sections of that building interior too which had multiple doorways and we can see multiple directions that the roads peer off into further into the city when Noctis teleported high up to give us a view of the area outside of the confines of the main tower area.

It's like trying to say FF1 is Crisis Core because there is a hallway inside a building or because there are sections where you just walk straight to move further across the map.

Here's an image that shows how each shot was on the specific tower area connects, and how we can see the 2011 city section is close by to the main tower.

laPZAQj.jpg

It seems many people here weren't following Versus.
Yeah I've been getting that impression after seeing the reactions since E3 last year.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hard to say. Obviously the OP is biased considering the avatar and everything else, but i have to say i'm really just hoping for the best from JRPG's in general. I'm hoping the astronomical hype from all 3 major AAA projects coming out will be worth it.

Because on consoles atleast, we don't exactly have a huge selection these days...

I have lost all my trust on Square to make a decent game. After FF-13, 13-2, Lighting returns.. it is going to be a wifu simulator than being a decent RPG.flashy

Just a question;

How exactly is the output of one team equal to every other team?

There is more than one development studio in SE's first production department(there are 5 in total), and while staff from certain teams may be called over to work over on things from another project, they are given orders by the team in charge of the project.

How is the team that worked on FFX13 trilogy in any way indicative of what any of the other development teams output will be? Are you saying so because that team is the only team we've seen AAA console games out of in the 7th gen?

Top Bottom