• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2010)

IZZO

Neo Member
Just started Stephen King's The Dark Tower II: The Drawing Of Three.

The prologue is interesting. Getting hooked. :D

Xzior

irHtJ.jpg

IZZO said:
Just started Stephen King's The Dark Tower II: The Drawing Of Three.

The prologue is interesting. Getting hooked. :D

I'm only 100 or so pages into that and I already like it better than the gunslinger.

BlueTsunami said:
Just took this out

29fpmkx.jpg

:D Can't wait to dive in (after LOST, of course)
I read this and Neuromancer last summer and they're both excellent books. You can really tell where the Wachowski Bros got their ideas from after reading them.

Speaking of Gibson, I just finished Spook Country. It was ok, but this snippet from the wiki article about it applies:
The critical consensus was that while the plot was underwhelming and the characters unconvincing, the novel was a virtuoso exhibition of Gibson's formidable prose and captured the zeitgeist of post-9/11 American society.
The plot didn't get started until much later in the book, which even Gibson says:
He found the writing process unnerving, as the solution to the mystery of the container – the novel's MacGuffin – did not come to him until after he had written several hundred pages of manuscript
Up next is Pattern Recognition, which is actually the book that came before Spook Country, and SC is a direct sequel, something I didn't find out until reading the Wiki page. der.

After that is JPod, and after that a few more waiting in the wings.
Wizard's first rule / Goodkind, Terry. Your hold is #: 2
The hunger games / Collins, Suzanne. Your hold is #: 5
Neuromancer / Gibson, William, 1948- Your hold is #: 2
The dark place / Elkins, Aaron J. Your hold is #: 2
Stone of tears / Goodkind, Terry. Your hold is #: 3
Cryptonomicon / Stephenson, Neal. Your hold is #: 1
Grave peril / Butcher, Jim, 1971- Your hold is #: 6
How to read a book / Adler, Mortimer Jerome, 1902-2001. Your hold is #: 1
Scott Pilgrim / O'Malley, Bryan Lee. Your hold is #: 3 (all 6 volumes)
A few of these are from reading this thread. I always get so many books added to my list when I read this thread.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
allegate said:
I read this and Neuromancer last summer and they're both excellent books. You can really tell where the Wachowski Bros got their ideas from after reading them.

Speaking of Gibson, I just finished Spook Country. It was ok, but this snippet from the wiki article about it applies: The plot didn't get started until much later in the book, which even Gibson says:Up next is Pattern Recognition, which is actually the book that came before Spook Country, and SC is a direct sequel, something I didn't find out until reading the Wiki page. der.

After that is JPod, and after that a few more waiting in the wings. A few of these are from reading this thread. I always get so many books added to my list when I read this thread.
Don't worry, they're not really all that related. I read them in the same order you're going to and didn't feel like I really missed anything.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I read Pattern Recognition when it was originally published and was underwhelmed. Haven't tried Spook Country yet.

Re: Wolfe. I started the The Knight last summer and really couldn't get into it and abandoned it about 100 pages in. One rainy day I'll go back to it.

S. L.

after reading the i robot short story collection and really enjoying it, i thought i should give Asimovs big foundation story a try
364px-Prelude_to_Foundation_cover.jpg

OMG what a borefest. The whole thing felt so bloated, slow and repetitive.
the entire middle part seemed entirely redundant.
I don't think i'll continue reading the series. >:O

S. L. said:
after reading the i robot short story collection and really enjoying it, i thought i should give Asimovs big foundation story a try
364px-Prelude_to_Foundation_cover.jpg

OMG what a borefest. The whole thing felt so bloated, slow and repetitive.
the entire middle part seemed entirely redundant.
I don't think i'll continue reading the series. >:O

You started at the wrong place. Publication order, not chronological order, silly. In fact, you're better off reading the series without touching that book.

Salazar

Tim the Wiz said:
You started at the wrong place. Publication order, not chronological order, silly. In fact, you're better off reading the series without touching that book.

I read it, and I'm still alive, more or less content, literate.

Right now I'm reading The Intent to Live by Larry Moss, which is a book about improving oneself as an actor. If you're an actor, I'd recommend it, as I think that he writes about the subject in a very non-pretentious way (which is refreshing, if you've read other books on the subject).

Fanboydestroyer said:
Ok, so I'll be reading Dune (the first 3 books) Book of the New Sun, and then the Bas-Lag Novels. Followed by Night Dawn Trilogy, probaly.

Why in the world would you only read the first three? God Emperor is the best one.

ronito

Tim the Wiz said:
Yeah I read Prelude as well and was like "WTF?"

Funny thing about the Foundation books is that you can see Asimov getting better at writing as the series goes along.

Also

Peronthious said:
Why in the world would you only read the first three? God Emperor is the best one.

NEIN!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I started rereading Sphere for the first time since I was 10 and am finding it fairly bad. Characters are mostly scientists-in-name-only. Shit, half the characters just walk around pushing buttons and guessing-and-checking stuff. It's hard sci-fi for dummies. I reached a part where one of the scientists had to ask another to explicitly explain how space and time are related, and all I could do was close the book.

I'm not sure I want to continue reading it. Quitting isn't too appealing, but I'll surely enjoy the Alastair Reynolds short collections I have with me way more.

mjc

Just picked this up today:

the_desert_spear_cover.jpg

It bugs me to no end that they changed cover styles for the NA release. ARRRRGGHHHh

KingGondo

Banned
Dan said:
I started rereading Sphere for the first time since I was 10 and am finding it fairly bad. Characters are mostly scientists-in-name-only. Shit, half the characters just walk around pushing buttons and guessing-and-checking stuff. It's hard sci-fi for dummies. I reached a part where one of the scientists had to ask another to explicitly explain how space and time are related, and all I could do was close the book.

I'm not sure I want to continue reading it. Quitting isn't too appealing, but I'll surely enjoy the Alastair Reynolds short collections I have with me way more.
I loved Sphere when I was 10, but I do wonder if it still holds up. Probably not, I guess?

FnordChan

I finished Changes by Jim Butcher earlier this week and, yep, that's an accurate title alright. Shit goes down on page one and it doesn't stop until the very end, and in the process a lot of the status quo goes out the window. If you're not a fan of the series, this is not the place to start, but you might be intrigued to know that twelve books in the Dresden Files series still kicks ass and, if you have any interest at all in urban fantasy, you probably want to check it out. If you're a fan of the series, you'll absolutely want to read this, and are probably doing so as we speak. If you're a fan and are already done with Changes, you'll be glad to know that the short story collection Side Jobs, due out in November, will include a novella that takes place immediately after the ending of Changes.

Now it's back to Blood Magic by Eileen Wilks. I'm about halfway through and it's picking up, though I doubt I'll be tearing through it like I did Changes.

FnordChan

Dan said:

So what you're saying is it's a Crichton book.

Just breezed through The Art of Racing in the Rain yesterday. Very light but a nice, entertaining read

41fCMKw8UjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now back to Alas, Babylon!

Stealth

About ~500 pages into A Game of Thrones... this is every bit the book I wanted it to be. It's painful, actually. I keep wanting to go on wikipedia to find out more about the series, but I don't want to spoil the ending. Gah! Gonna go read some more. :D

FnordChan

Stealth said:
I keep wanting to go on wikipedia to find out more about the series, but I don't want to spoil the ending. Gah!

For your own sake, avoid Wikipedia at all costs. You'll get so much more out of the series if you don't know about the various plot twists Martin throws in along the way. Stay strong! You can do it!

FnordChan

FnordChan said:
I finished Changes by Jim Butcher earlier this week and, yep, that's an accurate title alright. Shit goes down on page one and it doesn't stop until the very end, and in the process a lot of the status quo goes out the window. If you're not a fan of the series, this is not the place to start, but you might be intrigued to know that twelve books in the Dresden Files series still kicks ass and, if you have any interest at all in urban fantasy, you probably want to check it out. If you're a fan of the series, you'll absolutely want to read this, and are probably doing so as we speak. If you're a fan and are already done with Changes, you'll be glad to know that the short story collection Side Jobs, due out in November, will include a novella that takes place immediately after the ending of Changes.

Now it's back to Blood Magic by Eileen Wilks. I'm about halfway through and it's picking up, though I doubt I'll be tearing through it like I did Changes.

FnordChan
That's good to know. I'm slowly working through the series, and am currently on book 3 (waiting for the library hold).

So, Gibson is coasting on the basis of Neuromancer isn't he? Or are there other books he's done that are better than the two I just read? Because while they aren't horrible, they aren't great either. The main character in Pattern Recognition is allergic to brands/trademarks, and makes a living picking out new branding/trademarks for companies. And makes sure to pick out name brand stuff to wear, as long as she takes the name brand off the item in question. That plus the constant reminders of what name brand she's wearing make it an odd read.

The story itself is so minor it seems inconsequential to whatever he's actually trying to do, and that goes for both books.

Slappy967

Neo Member
FnordChan said:

Yeah I just finished Changes last week and it was tremendous! The series has repeatedly gotten better & better as it has progressed and I am looking forward to the release of Side Jobs in the fall. Rumor has it the new novella is a Murphy side story that takes place 45 minutes after the end of Changes. Fnord have you heard what the title is for the next book in the series? I saw it posted on Jim Butcher's forums and am now really looking forward to next april.

Still reading Wicked. I was expecting something much more light-hearted having only really heard of the musical adaptation. What i got was a dark fantasy tale about good and evil, social positioning, beastiality and magic.

This. Book. Is. Awesome.

eznark

Banned
sparky2112 said:
Brains! Brains!!!!

But, no, really. Don't forget the new (Ins)Hannity, either, Teabag.

Small minded, frightened and sheltered men limit themselves to digesting only the information they agree with.

Salazar

eznark said:
Small minded, frightened and sheltered men limit themselves to digesting only the information they agree with.

A librarian could have helped you find something more lucid and interesting - still very right wing, but not as infantile.

eznark

Banned
It will take about four hours to read and looks humorous. It'll be a good interlude while reading a bunch of Eastern Front books by Glantz and Beevor. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's going to be my moms new favorite book.

stop judging me!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Peronthious said:
So what you're saying is it's a Crichton book.
I guess. I don't think I've read anything of his since uh, puberty so I really just remember plot stuff and not writing styles or narrative structures.

Suppose I can write him off now.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
mjc said:
Just picked this up today:

the_desert_spear_cover.jpg

It bugs me to no end that they changed cover styles for the NA release. ARRRRGGHHHh

yeah going to pick this up soon myself... can't wait

Alucard

Banned
0091932858.jpg

This is a truly fantastic autobiography, and it really gives depth to a lot of Hart's touchstone moments, and provides a healthy helping of road stories that illuminate how crazy the world of professional wrestling was and is. It has drugs, alcohol, cheating, redemption, arrogance, humility, and just a wealth of humanity. I am over midway through, and am looking forward to the rest of it. Fantastic stuff, especially for wrestling fans, or people looking to get a deeper look into the backstage politics and personal tendencies of the business.

way more

KingGondo said:
I loved Sphere when I was 10, but I do wonder if it still holds up. Probably not, I guess?

I think Sphere would hold up just as well as Jurassic Park and Andromeda Strain. Congo on the other hand, yeesh. I remember reading that when I was 10 and when I got to killer apes I thought it was pushing it.

For like the third time:

1248601808-41y0yywsp2l.jpg

For a bit I was thinking, "this sucks, he's way too young and immature during this period ..." but before long it sucked me right in again, like only Nietzsche can.

The "Wanderer and His Shadow" section is the straight dope.

Salazar

More reading for work, in between bits of Erikson's Reaper's Gale - which is excellent, though not exactly a breeze to follow. Looking forward to the ending, as Erikson tends to draw the strands of a book tight into a splintering battle or explosion. If not, on to the next one.

Anthony Grafton's Worlds Made by Words: Scholarship and Community in the Modern West.
Wonderful book, in what might—humanity can only hope—be a resurgent tradition of generalist scholarly history. Same old Grafton preoccupations with Erasmus and Scaliger. Same old dependable tendency to neatly summarise immensely complicated disciplinary movements in one or two elegant paragraphs.

Diebuster

disappeared said:
What did you think of Norwegian Wood?

Loved it. The story was simple, but it still kept me glued to the book. It was the relationships that made the novel for me. They all felt real. The writing did an excellent job of getting across the emotions that came along with the various relationships of Toru - especially isolation, which was a big theme of the book. My only complaint is how depressing it was to read
since you knew the ending was inevitable.

The book reminded me a lot of Catcher in the Rye, so I thought the allusion Murakami made was a nice touch.

Top Bottom