• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So just got a paperwhite thanks to that Amazon deal. Reading the OP and looks like I should just set alerts on ereaderiq for books I want along with checking the kindle daily deals? Man I'm about to read a ton. My book reading has seriously lapsed since I was such an avid reader as a kid.

Gone Girl was pretty great. Far smarter than I gave it credit for,
mostly because it changes so drastically halfway through (tries to trick you into thinking it's one genre, then giving you another. Worked on me.). Bitter, sour ending, which was weird because at that point the book could have gotten as cartoony as it wanted to be and give us some satisfaction. But it didn't need to, I guess.
It definitely gripped me, and I'm glad I read it.

SolKane

Finished the Elie Wiesel collection, now I am on to this:

415412.jpg

I read Hiroshima a month ago, so I am looking forward to reading his fiction. I also have a copy of "The Wall" to read after.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Was in the mood for some page-turning cheesy YA and this filled the need sufficiently:

Really great world-building in the first half of the book. It's set in Prague, so a little different than the usual, and some sort of alternate dimension. The last half devolved into typical YA romance but I couldn't tear myself away from it.

Is it actually worth reading outside of the YA romance? I'd originally been really interested, but it became pretty clear early on what it was going to turn into, so I set it aside.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just started this, about 100 pages in:

GvLJIfC.jpg

It's a fun companion to watching Cosmos.

Bazza

Had a lot of free time this week read Elantris, Warbreaker, The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance.

Elantris - wasn't to bad, the story was a bit predictable and I had an idea of how things would turn out about halfway through the book and I was generally correct but I still enjoyed the read regardless.

Warbreaker - loved the magic system in this book quite unique compared to anything in any other books iv read, would love Sanderson to return to this world at some point especially when you consider what happened in the last few chapters of Words of Radiance

Way of Kings - was a little slow in places and a few of the chapters that didn't involve the main cast seemed a little out of place but overall I thought it was really good, as for the length I find books to short normally so this was perfect.

Words of Radiance - Few unexpected twists, really really wish I put off reading this series for about a year, the wait for the next book is going to be horrible,
now that the majority of the main characters have grouped together I was hoping the truth about Kaladin, Shallan etc would come out about half way through the book instead of the end, no idea what to make of the chapter between Wit and Jasnah at the end of the book, who/what is Wit and is Jasnah dead or alive. As for the sword given to Szeth cant wait to see how Nightbood from Warbreaker traveled the stars to arrive in the hands of a Herald

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Warbreaker - loved the magic system in this book quite unique compared to anything in any other books iv read, would love Sanderson to return to this world at some point especially when you consider what happened in the last few chapters of Words of Radiance

He has a planned sequel, called Nightblood, coming out in the next couple of years.

Words of Radiance - Few unexpected twists, really really wish I put off reading this series for about a year, the wait for the next book is going to be horrible,
now that the majority of the main characters have grouped together I was hoping the truth about Kaladin, Shallan etc would come out about half way through the book instead of the end, no idea what to make of the chapter between Wit and Jasnah at the end of the book, who/what is Wit and is Jasnah dead or alive. As for the sword given to Szeth cant wait to see how Nightbood from Warbreaker traveled the stars to arrive in the hands of a Herald

Re: Wit — Google "Hoid" and "Cosmere".

fakefaker

Finished up Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon by Mark Hodder today; thought it was alright, but not as fun as the first two.

Next is True Grit by Charles Portis since I loved the original movie so much.

10035073.jpg

lightus

Finished up Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson last night. You can see the difference in quality between Brandon's older stuff and where he's at now, I still enjoyed it though. I felt the back of the book spoiled some of the book but oh well. I'm excited to read the sequel!

Next up is The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. I haven't read a book in the First Law world in awhile, so happy to get back to it.

X-Frame

So I'm about 10 chapters into A Feast for Crows and not really enjoying it so far,
I feel like all the momentum is lost and absolutely nothing is happening. And what is with all these random chapters with weird names, breaking the flow and pattern of the first 3 books? No Dany or Tyrion so far, and I only am enjoying the Jon and Arya chapters -- the rest are boring.

Does it get better? I'm of course going to finish it and ADOD to be caught up, but I went through the first 3 books quickly and loved them and this one I feel I need to take my time and possibly read something else at the same time.

sgossard

Finished Serpent of Venice last night. I would say it is a bit weaker than Fool which I dug out and reread today (and is still marvelous). I did enjoy how this flipped the Merchant of Venice around a bit making Antonio one of the chief villains in league with a totally mustache twirling Iago. You probably know if Christopher Moore's humor is for you, and if so it's well worth a read.

The only book I've read by him ios Sacré bleu and I loved it. Do I need to read Fool before the Serpent or is it a standalone story?

Just finished
51a0jeqEqAL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Shogun by James Clavell. It was great, much better than I expected. Kind of subverts the "mighty whitey" trope in a lot of places. Despite its length I feel like the book ended a little early and would have liked to read more.

Think I'll start the Vorkosigan saga next, heard good things.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Currently reading:

city-of-stairs-by-robert-jackson-bennett-194x300.jpg

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett

Interesting so far. Fun characters, interesting whodunnit plot mixed with post-colonial politics and fantasy elements (gods, magic, etc.) It's like China Mieville without the ego.

More info about the book.

Piecake

I'm getting towards the end of Part 2 (I think) in Words of Radiance. And goddammit. Shallan was doing just fine, and
her Dendarii Free Mercenaries bit
was clever and fun, and then we jump right back into her juvenile half-assed wordplay that somehow every other character thinks is amazing and hilarious. Sanderson clearly thinks he's written this really clever funny character, and... she just isn't. Some people can do funny, and some people can't. You need to know your strengths and weaknesses as a writer. :/

Its a fantasy. Just pretend that the people there never fully developed their funny gene so they find the stuff that spews from Shallan and Wit's mouth humorous, witty, and intelligent. You'll feel better that way.

Chorazin

So I'm about 10 chapters into A Feast for Crows and not really enjoying it so far,
I feel like all the momentum is lost and absolutely nothing is happening. And what is with all these random chapters with weird names, breaking the flow and pattern of the first 3 books? No Dany or Tyrion so far, and I only am enjoying the Jon and Arya chapters -- the rest are boring.

Does it get better? I'm of course going to finish it and ADOD to be caught up, but I went through the first 3 books quickly and loved them and this one I feel I need to take my time and possibly read something else at the same time.

That's the book that killed my enjoyment of the series. I got half way through, my eyes glazed over, and I said "fuck this" and ended my involvement with the series. :(

Bazza

I'm getting towards the end of Part 2 (I think) in Words of Radiance. And goddammit. Shallan was doing just fine, and
was clever and fun, and then we jump right back into her juvenile half-assed wordplay that somehow every other character thinks is amazing and hilarious. Sanderson clearly thinks he's written this really clever funny character, and... she just isn't. Some people can do funny, and some people can't. You need to know your strengths and weaknesses as a writer. :/

I wouldnt say he cant do funny, Legion had me in stitches. But your right about Shallan, that side of her character needs work or toning down.

Mumei

I sometimes feel as if I am the only person who Shallan fails to irritate. Gotchaye was saying the same thing to me last week!

A Dance with Dragons is better for sure. As for Feast... I like it more in retrospect than I did while I was reading it. But it's undoubtedly the slowest of the series.

Gonna try to finish up Half a King today. It's really good, but definitely a bit different from Abercrombie's usual.

I also feel like I would be enjoying it even more if I hadn't read the excellent Blood Song recently which is a somewhat similar coming of age fantasy tale.

The Strain, about half way through and something's bothering me.

There is just too much time focused on victims. I get what it's trying to do but I can only hear someone die or get infected so many times before it gets boring. I can see how this could end up being ok with the show to extend the series, but with the book it gets pretty repetitive. It feels almost too farced at trying to show the different ways the strain can be horrible. I'm sure it would be fine if it was more spread out, but to go from one person to the other so often just seems too forced. I get it, people are dying in pretty screwed up ways. Let's move on.

Krowley

It was the weakest book for me by a lot. By the end you will probably like some of these newer characters a lot more than you do now, but it is much slower paced than the other books.

I felt like Dance with Dragons was a total return to form, so it's worth staying the course.

lightus

I sometimes feel as if I am the only person who Shallan fails to irritate. Gotchaye was saying the same thing to me last week!

I like her. Sure she's not hilarious but I feel Wit and Shallan do a decent job of adding some more light hearted dialogue. Kaladin and Dalinar tend to brood so much it's nice to have some variance.

Piecake

I like her. Sure she's not hilarious but I feel Wit and Shallan do a decent job of adding some more light hearted dialogue. Kaladin and Dalinar tend to brood so much it's nice to have some variance.

I think Mrs. Awesome and Pattern do a much better of lightening up the story because I actually do find them to be humorous characters. So I think Sanderson can write funny characters. His problem is that he cannot write witty dialogue at all. I actually do like Shallan and her quips don't really annoy me. They mostly put a smile on my face at how unfunny they are, yet everyone around her finds it so intelligent. I find that amusing.

Bazza

Cant remember which part of the book spoiler so dont click unless you finished
it depends who she is interacting with for me, pretty much hated everything between her and Kaladin up to the point they are waiting out the highstorm, but it didn't help Kaladin was being quite the emo douch at that point (though even I felt sad when it appeared he killed Syl) others a bit hit and miss.

Bazza

I think Mrs. Awesome and Pattern do a much better of lightening up the story because I actually do find them to be humorous characters. So I think Sanderson can write funny characters. His problem is that he cannot write witty dialogue at all. I actually do like Shallan and her quips don't really annoy me. They mostly put a smile on my face at how unfunny they are, yet everyone around her finds it so intelligent. I find that amusing.

I hope so much that Lift becomes a main character in the later books her interlude chapter was full of awesomeness.

Pattern and Syl are great, said before sentient non humans (radically different aliens, Ai's like Minds in the culture books etc) tend to be my favourite characters in books, I like seeing how authors write for something so different from your standard human and the 2 who have been focused on so far are different enough that they are not just reskinned humans. Cant wait for the
Szeth chapters in the next book, I was so gutted he was revived till he was thrown Nightblood, made things all better.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Currently reading Infinite Jest by DFW and What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Carver. Honey and Wine, good people.

Infinite Jest is easy to relate to when you play lots of video games

Dresden

reading Inherent Vice/Pynchon right now, figured it was time to clear out the backlog a little.

Also a bit into The Making of the Atomic Bomb for the gaf book club. This is going to take a while, what a tome.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Making of the Atomic Bomb is more accurately described by a whale moving through the ocean rather than any sort of bird analogy.

krrrt

I have recently rediscovered my kindle after reading over a hundred books last year and only reading a handful so far in 2014.

I'm now reading the HUGE Hitler biography by Ian Kershaw and it is enticing to say the least. Such a wicked subject and such an uncomfortably deep expedition into his mind. Also a lot more well written than most of the soviet leader's biographies I read last year.

And uhm yeah when I'm too tired to read anything else I'm about halfway through the first book of the hunger games. It's no Dostoevsky and not what I normally read, but entertaining enough.

Fusebox

Banned
Loved it, and currently reading the sequel Crux which I'm loving even more.

AR_Crux.jpg

Good! That's excellent to hear, I've got Crux on my Kindle ready and waiting for when I finish Nexus. Pretty awesome considering each book only cost me $1.99 on the kindle store.

Gonna try to finish up Half a King today. It's really good, but definitely a bit different from Abercrombie's usual.

I also feel like I would be enjoying it even more if I hadn't read the excellent Blood Song recently which is a somewhat similar coming of age fantasy tale.
I'm about 2/3 through HaK. Enjoying it myself. Still Abercrombie at the core. I will say his previous stuff is like a head butt and HaK feels more like a boxing match.

I'll put a review on my site when I finish it.

Roflobear

Gonna start A Game of Thrones tonight. So happy about that Kindle deal. Hoping it'll force me to start reading more regularly

It was the weakest book for me by a lot. By the end you will probably like some of these newer characters a lot more than you do now, but it is much slower paced than the other books.

I felt like Dance with Dragons was a total return to form, so it's worth staying the course.
Feast is far and away the worst of the series. Dragons starts to get the mojo back but it has its annoyances
Dany becoming a Twilight level teenage girl being the main one

fakefaker

Finished up True Grit by Charles Portis tonight. Frickin' amazing book and understand why it's considered a classic.

Now gonna read some 40k with Brothers of the Snake by Dan Abnett.

2444302.jpg

deadbluesky

Neo Member
Started Sara Grans 'Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway' today. -- I really liked the first novel 'City of the Dead'. Though I had to reread some chapters, because of its somewhat fever-trippy structure.

Finished a book that a friend recently wrote:

Part the Hawser, Limn the Sea by Dan Lopez

My Goodreads review:

nakedsushi said:
TLDR; Them feels, man!

Long version:

These short stories are tied to each other by two ships: relationships and regular ships. I liked that there was some technical knowledge about ships in each story without boring the non-ship enthusiast about them. For those who are not interested in ships, the relationships between the characters are the star of the stories. I liked how the emotions of the characters seemed to mirror the feeling one gets on ships: from the claustrophobic trapped feeling to the exhilarating sense of freedom when standing on deck and looking at the endless horizon.

After I read the last story in the book, I thought about how difficult it must be to write short stories. You don't have the flexibility in length that you would have in a novel-length book, yet you want the reader to feel invested in the characters and provide an arch.

I got the same feeling I usually get when I finish a good short story, which is I wish it were longer and I didn't have to say goodbye to the characters so soon. I was especially sad not knowing what happened to the architect.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Will read after Making of the Atomic Bomb, if I finished that before I die.

Piecake

Best book I have read this year. It is simply fantastic. The amazon review sums up my feelings quite well.

Amazon Best Book of the Month, August 2013: Scott Anderson’s Lawrence in Arabia is a marvel of a history book. The research is impeccable. The story is fascinating and unforgettable. And the characters are so compelling that they seem to have been plucked from a novel. During World War I, the course of the modern day Middle East was set by a handful of young, low-ranking actors who exerted oversized influence on the region. Anderson focuses our attention on four men: a minor German diplomat and spy, an American oilman descended from the Yale family, a Romanian-born agronomist, and T.E. Lawrence himself. As we witness the western nations attempting to carve up a region that they were never able to master, these adventurous and often duplicitous men come to full life--none more so than Lawrence. The amount of research it must have taken to write this book is astounding. But there is no filler here: this is the kind of detail that causes the narrative to pop, that makes it live and breathe, and it will keep you reading long into the night. --Chris Schluep

There are other characters involved as well, most notably Mark Sykes and Jamel Pasha (governor of Syria). It also gives you a fantastic sense of the stupidity and bureacratic incompetence of the governments at the time. Most notably choosing the Galipoli campaign over attacking Alexandretta due to the French not wanting 'their' future territories being attacked (it was quite absurd) and basically giving free reign to Mark Sykes to politically carve up the middle east to absolutely disastrous results. It is really quite fascinating.

I have been working on Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance and finding it very bland and sterile.

Also started a reread of A Song of Ice and Fire and man, the two fantasy series just don't compare...I'll have to slog through WoR before reading any more ASoIaF if I have any hope of finishing it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just finished Ready Player One. Not the strongest plot, but fun for nerds like me.

Now reading Warbreaker by Sanderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom