• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2011)

Eric WK

Just finished A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace a couple hours ago. Here's my Goodreads revew (5/5):

6748.jpg

A couple months ago, I resolved to read the collected works (well except for the math and philosophy stuff) of David Foster Wallace prior to the release of The Pale King in April. And in reading and talking about Wallace, I kind of had this preconceived notion re the quality of his work from friends who had read him, from Goodreads, from y'know the internet or whatever - that it got better as one went along, that The Broom of the System is very good but very clearly a collegiate work, that Infinite Jest speaks for itself, that his short fiction gets better and better and that his non-fiction is across the board as good as the pieces I had read in passing. Later I would decide to go through his oeuvre chronologically, but I started with Consider The Lobster because it was on my Kindle and looked great and why not. And it's excellent, so excellent that going into A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, coupled with my preconception, I thought there was simply no way it would be as good as Consider The Lobster.

I was wrong. It's better.

It certainly helps that I remember summers in the mid-90s when my pre-teen ass would plop down in front of my family's living room television for two weeks straight to watch HBO's Wimbledon coverage. Or that I enjoy serious film. Or that I spent a huge amount of my childhood watching television only to rarely turn it on anymore in favor of reading postmodern literature. It's as if this collection was custom tailored to be read by me at this point in my life. But beyond that, these essays are almost pitch-perfect from cover to cover, teeming with humor and warmth and humility (stop me if you've heard this one before w/r/t Wallace, yeah, yeah) and an absolute joy to read.

Today in my local library I was reading the titular essay with a constant smile on my face, literally laughing at a clip surpassing once per page, when it kind of dawned on me that there aren't going to be any more of these essays, that there could have been thirty more years of them, if only, and fuck it I'll say it, I started to cry.

I really wish I had the time or drive to write these reviews more seriously, because this book really deserves it. It's easily the best collection of non-fiction I've ever read, but that's not really saying it all.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
nakedsushi said:
A lot of people recommend that book to me too, but still haven't started reading any of Mieville's stuff. The "ooh isn't that gross" for the sake of being gross part is what's turning me off of it. How do you like the prose other than that? I hear people either hate it or love it.

The prose is decent and the storytelling is quite good. It's unfortunate that he feels the need to differentiate his writing in such a ham fisted and juvenile manner.

Briaeron

Neo Member
Currently

51WC999OnyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Pacing is a bit slow, but its the first book of a new series and judging by how much I enjoy his pacing in WoT I think it's just intro pacing and I need to relax and enjoy (Hardcover is at least 950 pages!) I like the artwork within the book as it helps with all the new words (wildlife in particular) he introduces.

Been wanting to read Banks' Matter forever, but everytime I pick it up and read the back-intro I just can't seem to get excited. I really enjoyed The Algebraist for it's writing and so I'm asking GAF if I should read Matter as well as do I need to start at the beginning of The Culture series before I even delve into Matter?

nakedsushi said:
I finished reading

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

It was a satisfying ending and I'll write up my thoughts on it later, but I'm confused about one part:

Why did Vasili hate Leo so much? The book kept mentioning it was personal, but did we ever find out what exactly it was? Was it just plain jealousy? That character just seemed so muahahah evil villain.
Just finished the book. The ending was kind eh but everything that led up to it I enjoyed!

it wasn't so much out of hate as he wanted to be on top. I went and read about who vasili was. he was one of the top officers back then. he even denounced his own brother who was sentenced for 25 years. brother escaped and never was caught. that embarassed vasili and almost caused his life. so he sabotaged Leo to get him to lose his position and take over. So Vasili could just be power hungry or just want to be the hero that everyone liked. I guess also that Leo was younger than vasili too.

could be wrong ;o

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
0312252676.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pretty interesting look into the beginnings of gay lit from the '40s up through the '60s, along with selections from a bunch of the looong out-of-print pulp novels.

informer07

Neo Member
Eric WK said:
Just finished A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace a couple hours ago. Here's my Goodreads [review] (5/5)

"E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction" should be required reading.

Revisiting:

41SGBG56B7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

n127533.jpg

Fresh:

41BiplJ7I%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

4193fr1CJgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Just some thoughts on the book club.
-Might get more attention and focus if it had its own thread.
-Might give the club a one two week/month delay so everyone has a chance to order.borrow the book from the library.
-Might pick two books fiction/non-fiction, novel/history book, etc.

probably been said already.

woodchuck

I want to start getting into Phillip Roth.

I was thinking about starting with American Pastoral. Or is there something else I should start with?

Salazar

woodchuck said:
I want to start getting into Phillip Roth.

I was thinking about starting with American Pastoral. Or is there something else I should start with?

Portnoy's Complaint is humorous but irritating after a bit.

The Plot Against America is wonderful. Exceptionally sinister. I would recommend it more than American Pastoral.

Karakand

brianjones said:
does she really suck that bad?
Her prose is clunky, dry and oftentimes awkward, but this is GAF where people read the Willenium Triology.

Her word counts bloat arithmetically, but this is GAF where people read Michael Jordan's Wheel of Fortune series (of table legs).

Her politics are unsophisticated, but this is GAF where people read the nuanced works of George "holy fucking shit, Stalinists!" Orwell and poopoo face asshole Aleksandr "Gulags are like, bad, man, really" Solzhenitsyn.

Anyways, 2 wrap it up she's not great or anything but posters go out of their way to tee off on her here because the political demographics allow them to and the fact people fucked up/are currently fucking up the world because they believe her philosophy--or somehow didn't get the memo that it's snake oil.

She loved setting ridiculously dramatic scenes, so if you like verfremdungseffekt reading her won't be the end of the world. (I'd go with We the Living since it's short, light on the repetitiveness if you immediately skip any discussion of Primus stoves and its strongest characters is a dyed-in-the-wool Communist. Just be warned it's a fucking college romance story seriously who gives a shit about college.) Or you could just watch The Fountainhead she wrote the screenplay for that and had to keep it ~2 hours.

Karakand

Salazar said:
She's not even tolerable.
Virtually all the shit in these threads is intolerable!!!!

I especially liked the book club book this month having a character named Leo Stepanovich Something I was like heeeeeeeeeey guy I read Anna K too.

Cyan said:
Thanks for the link. And I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not but I went and looked again today and I still can't find it on my own. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I'm even narrowing it down through the categories on the left and I can't find it. What am I missing?

EDIT: It's not even listed in George Macdonald Fraser's author page on Amazon. Unless I keep missing it somehow it seems you basically have to search Flashman and narrow it down by prime shipping, new condition, George Macdonald Fraser, etc

Karakand said:
Her prose is clunky, dry and oftentimes awkward, but this is GAF where people read the Willenium Triology.

Her word counts bloat arithmetically, but this is GAF where people read Michael Jordan's Wheel of Fortune series (of table legs).

Her politics are unsophisticated, but this is GAF where people read the nuanced works of George "holy fucking shit, Stalinists!" Orwell and poopoo face asshole Aleksandr "Gulags are like, bad, man, really" Solzhenitsyn.
:lol

oops force of habit

Cyan said:
No sarcasm; it took me more than ten minutes to find that link. I actually started to worry it might be out of print or something.

I finally stumbled on a link to the Kindle version, and from there was able to get to the paperback. Not sure what's up with Amazon on that one. You'd think a novel called "Flashman" would be rather early on in the search results for "Flashman." *shrug*
there's a kindle version? link ;o

survivor

Banned
Just finished reading Way of Kings. Gonna spoil my thoughts about the book since there are other members who are currently reading it.

When I first read the book I honestly thought that half of these characters will die. But I guess Brandon Sanderson isn't a fan of mass killing his main cast.

Most characters were very good. I would say the weakest is Szeth. He just seems way too overpowered. I really look forward to his fight against Dalinar in the next book. Kaladin is by far the most liked character. Plus he is a badass fighter taking down 2 Shardblade users down.

The only thing that is still confusing me is the whole Heralds/Radiants deal. That and those extra secondary characters that were introduced for no reason. Seemed kinda pointless to introduce in this book and just forget about them until the later ones.

bengraven

nerd_do_well_book_cover_01.jpg

I was in the middle of

Lud_in_the_mist.jpg

But it's actually TOO good. I feel like my mind is going a thousand directions like a supernova and I can't concentrate when every single line is so good I'm literally re-reading every one with jealousy.

Aurelius said:
Masters_of_doom-Book_cover.jpg

This would make a better movie than The Social Network!

f43chz.jpg

I saw this photo over on the gaming side and so it felt like there was a subliminal urge to read the book and I was not left disappointed. How could I be? I might not have been around for Wolfenstein 3D, but I certainly caught the tail-end of the DOOM and Quake phenomena. It turns out the story behind the success was just as crazy, a journey involving two very distinct and intriguing protagonists. You can't help but feel that without each other, the work of each since the post-Quake break up has suffered from a gaming standpoint. (Even if id Software's games can be accused of becoming soulless, Carmack's technical achievements remain unrelenting.)

Salazar

Yeah, my Mum read Masters of Doom. Primary school teacher, with a bunch of reasons to dislike or distrust games.

Loved it.

Gilby

bengraven said:
Lud_in_the_mist.jpg

But it's actually TOO good. I feel like my mind is going a thousand directions like a supernova and I can't concentrate when every single line is so good I'm literally re-reading every one with jealousy.

I LOVE books like that! I might just have to see if I can find this series.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
So I downloaded 2666 after reading how great it is. I haven't yet got to it since I'm still reading the books I already posted on here and have a ways to go since they're quite long.

The file I downloaded is a bit strange though, but definitely readable.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
UltimaKilo said:
So I downloaded 2666 after reading how great it is. I haven't yet got to it since I'm still reading the books I already posted on here and have a ways to go since they're quite long.

The file I downloaded is a bit strange though, but definitely readable.

Yo ho ho?

Salazar

Maklershed said:
Put my order in for Flashman. Got 2666 and Hyperion while I was at it.

Good work.

The first Flashy I read was "Flash For Freedom" - which is not the first in the series - in which Flashy is unwittingly pressed aboard a slaving ship. The language (which is much stronger in that book than in the others) came as a hilarious shock. I was actually surprised that the library had it on the shelves.

I chased down the rest pretty sharply. "Royal Flash" is unmatched. It is an exceptionally plotted adventure novel as well as doing all of the routine cursing and cowardly stuff. It is probably better read once you know the character, though, and you are able to appreciate the wobbling balance between massive egotistical confidence and his pathetic side.

threenote

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
So I stole 2666 after reading how great it is. I haven't yet got to it since I'm still reading the books I already posted on here and have a ways to go since they're quite long.

The file I stole is a bit strange though, but definitely readable.
Fixed.

i think it's also the last sentence when you said strange? what does that mean?
and that lending library site isn't out yet. must have access to early thing or something.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
DMPrince said:
i think it's also the last sentence when you said strange? what does that mean?

For some reason, some pages will have breaks with the title of the book and the authors name in it. Maybe it's because the file I have was meant to be universal so every eReader can use it?

The version is from my school's library. I'm going to try and get this version:

http://www.mdpls.org/

Jayge

UraMallas said:
Just finished "The Name of the Wind" and enjoyed it quite a bit. I like the way Rothfuss writes but I thought the ending kind of just puttered out.
Puttered out? With those last few pages?

I cannot wait another month and a half until The Wise Man's Fear.

UltimaKilo said:
For some reason, some pages will have breaks with the title of the book and the authors name in it. Maybe it's because the file I have was meant to be universal so every eReader can use it?

The version is from my school's library. I'm going to try and get this version:

http://www.mdpls.org/

Brings into question your whole response to the Yo ho ho, thing, eh?

Yep. Rarely great though.

Not that I care, but whatever.

Jayge said:
Puttered out? With those last few pages?

I cannot wait another month and a half until The Wise Man's Fear.

I agree that the ending was a bit underwhelming, but it is supposed to be a trilogy isn't it?

Anyway, only a month and a half huh? Awesome. Gonna go pre-order now in the event that my non-existent ebook library doesn't have any copies left.

Top Bottom