• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2012)

i'm almost done with the first book and will pick up the sequel. it's very interesting in that the english warlocks are completely unlikeable and pretty much about as rotten as the german characters in the sense that (will put it in spoilers, but I think what I'm spoilering is written in the book description/back cover)

there is a very high price for their magic, arguably worse than what the germans are up to

I'd say give it a go, i'm quite interested to see how it finishes up, should get it done tonight I think.

Thanks for the update! I think I'm going to start with it after finishing the book I'm currently reading. Didn't know that there was a sequel to "bitter seeds". I have to check that out too.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
What to read now? Hmm. Something short. Something very readable.

The post just below your has the answer:

And now I'm reading Prince of Thorns;

iOHJxCE3HXGJ.jpg

Short, very fast. Unlike anything else you've read. I recently wrote/gushed at length about it.

Ashes

Banned
Ever read the Vorkosigan books? :p

Ashes: Hey cyan... eh can you reccomend me something short, something very readable?
Cyan. sure thing buddy. *recommends 28 book series*

lol.

If I were to be marooned on a planet tommorow, and I could only take one book, which of those 28 books would I read? Should I read in internal chrono order or by publication? I don't know anything about the author or the series so your recommendation is basically doctors orders I guess.

The post just below your has the answer:

Short, very fast. Unlike anything else you've read. I recently wrote/gushed at length about it.

This is pretty much what I was thinking of. Interesting. Cheers.

If you liked Hunger Games maybe you would enjoy reading "The Magicians Guild" from Trudi Canavan. It's the first book from her "The Black Magician Series".

This sounds interesting. I shall add it to the list. If it's anything like the list I went through last week, I shall be done with the three books by the start of next thread.

I suppose I pretty much was asking for novels that are closer to a novella's length for this thread. :p

I think I'm Ashes1396 on goodreads too if someone wants to add me.

FnordChan

Ashes: Hey cyan... eh can you reccomend me something short, something very readable?
Cyan. sure thing buddy. *recommends 28 book series*

Oh, it's not that bad, we're only talking 17 books or so.

As a fellow Vorkosigan cheerleader, I can jump in and suggest four starting points:

First, your best bet is the omnibus Cordelia's Honor, collecting the novels Shards of Honor and Barrayar.

Second, there isn't a Kindle version of the Cordelia's Honor omnibus available, but you can certainly start with the Kindle version of Shards of Honor.

Third, I think it would be almost as good to start with the second omnibus in the series, Young Miles, as it would be to go with Cordelia' Honor. This omnibus contains The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game, with the novella "The Mountains of Mourning" thrown in for good measure.

Finally, if you'd like free ebook versions to start with, the publisher has The Warriors Apprentice and "The Mountains of Mourning" available gratis in a variety of formats.

To be honest, it's possible to get into the Vorkosigan books at damn near any point in the series - I started with The Vor Game myself - so any of the above suggestions should do the trick. You don't have to take my word for it, however; the Amazon pages for the omnibus editions linked above have a discussion of reading order and where to start from the author, Lois Bujold, herself. Also, for reference, this is one of the few times where I'd recommend reading a series in (more or less) internal chronological order rather than publication order.

There, that's my mandatory Vorkosigan shilling done for the month!

FnordChan

Ashes

Banned
I haven't read Holes in ages.

*adds Holes to list*

YA is the definition of readable. So shoot away.

For Brit gaf, there was a kids cartoon about some animals that live in park or forest or something... It just popped in my brain.

Edit: animals of farthing wood. Good week of sleep in my off week and my memory comes back to me. Score.
Shame it's my dead week this week. :/

Ashes

Banned
Oh, it's not that bad, we're only talking 17 books or so.

There, that's my mandatory Vorkosigan shilling done for the month!

FnordChan

One of my goals [side quests if you will] is to read a complete series.* But 17 books is too much perhaps. Maybe next year If I do this again, I'll read all 17. For now, I'll go with either that novella, or Cyan's recommendation.

Maybe --> Matched from Condie Ally. Dystopian book for YA - it has about 400 pages (so it's not really a novella) but it is easy to read and you will have finished it really quickly.

Yep. That's the thing with books that are easy to read, you digest them very quickly. Hunger Games finished very quickly. 400 pages though, so I'll have to see.

*in my defence, arguably I have already fulfilled this task, with the Hunger Games trilogy.

Yep. That's the thing with books that are easy to read, you digest them very quickly. Hunger game finished very quickly. 400 pages though, so I'll have to see.
I think I've finished this one in about 3 days.
I hope you have found some good new books for your list. The idea is great, but I couldn't finish those 50 movies - with the books I wouldn't have problems.

I haven't read Holes in ages.

*adds Holes to list*

YA is the definition of readable. So shoot away.

For Brit gaf, there was a kids cartoon about some animals that live in park or forest or something... It just popped in my brain.

Edit: animals of farthing wood. Good week of sleep in my off week and my memory comes back to me. Score.
Shame it's my dead week this week. :/

You might like this if you dug Hunger Games.

9917938.jpg

Ashes

Banned
I think I've finished this one in about 3 days.
I hope you have found some good new books for your list. The idea is great, but I couldn't finish those 50 movies - with the books I wouldn't have problems.

We don't have rules really. Some people count seasons, others count documentaries, I count both. [And I will count a short film when I get to that]. Max Armstrong has watched 75 films, and 0 books. I'm sure if you start now, you could do a half-marathon 25 books, and 25 movies, simply by watching the friday night movie or something.

"Mountains of Mourning" is damn good. Probably a decent introduction to Miles, as well.

Ok, a few quick YA recommendations:
Terry Pratchett - Nation (terrific quick story in fine Pratchett style, without the over-the-top zaniness of his Discworld books)
Shannon Hale - The Goose Girl (fairytale retelling, but really well done. Hale is a beautiful writer)
Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book (top-notch, possibly more middle-grade than YA)
Gail Carson Levine - Ella Enchanted (yes, for reals. loved this story)
Sherwood Smith - Crown Duel (two distinct halves since it's really two shorter books glued together. fun and swashbuckling)
Kristin Cashore - Graceling (at the older end of YA, kind of harsh, but a good read)
Megan Whalen Turner - The Thief (fun with unreliable narrators. more middle-grade)
Diana Wynne Jones - Howl's Moving Castle (a classic. well worth reading even if you've seen the movie, which isn't really the same at all. more middle-grade)

And a few shorter adult novels that just came to mind:
Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - Roadside Picnic (classic Russian scifi, on which the Stalker movie and games are loosely based)
Charles Stross - The Atrocity Archive (The Office meets James Bond meets Lovecraft. shorter than it looks; a novella is tagged on at the back)

*Head explodes*
speaks from the grave: cheers cyan
You might like this if you dug Hunger Games.

9917938.jpg

Hmm. This looks very interesting. On Hunger Games, I was thinking of reading Battle Royale later on in the year. But I think I will get to both of these books sooner rather than later.

And I think that's enough for now. I have a billion recommendations already. Thank you very much Reading Gaf, you have been awesome. If anybody makes a thread about the most readable books ever, I'm sure to come to that. Shame we really couldn't carry on the book of the month thing.

mike23

Finished book 5. It was good. I saw all the "twists" coming from a mile a way though. Not that it really hurt my opinion though.

iEDblWC6XxkNF.png

These books are going to put me behind on my Goodreads challenge.

Anyone know of any fantasy, maybe sci-fi, books that focus on craftmanship? L.E. Modesitt Jr. focuses on it in some of his books a bit. In The Magic of Recluce, the main character is a woodworker/mage and the combination of the two was probably my favorite parts of the book. In Imager, the protagonist is a painter and that was interesting too.

Maybe dwarfs crafting legendary weapons or something like that. Or apprentice dwarf blacksmith to master.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Anyone know of any fantasy, maybe sci-fi, books that focus on craftmanship? L.E. Modesitt Jr. focuses on it in some of his books a bit. In The Magic of Recluce, the main character is a woodworker/mage and the combination of the two was probably my favorite parts of the book. In Imager, the protagonist is a painter and that was interesting too.

You could try the Engineer Trilogy by K.J. Parker. The first volume is Devices and Desires.

Devices and Desires by K.J. Parker

Finished Contact by Carl Sagan. Enjoyed the book thoroughly, and took me by shock how emotional I felt for Ellie.

Now reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Maybe dwarfs crafting legendary weapons or something like that. Or apprentice dwarf blacksmith to master.

Michael Scott Rohan's "The Winter of the World" series is set in pre-historic times and deals with the magic of forging metals. The first book is "The Anvil of Ice".

285746.jpg

WJD

14995.jpg

Finished this last night. Oddly (no pun intended) appropriate considering recent events and overall, I thought it was a decent read; a few stupid parts but I let them slide.

ultron87

Most of the way through Player of Games. I'm enjoying it but I wish the book would actually explain the crazy complex game that is being played some more. Admittedly going through a bunch of rules wouldn't make for the most interesting reading, but I love shit like that.

I think I'm going to re-read Hyperion after this.

mike23

Michael Scott Rohan's "The Winter of the World" series is set in pre-historic times and deals with the magic of forging metals. The first book is "The Anvil of Ice".

Thanks. Added both to the top of my to-read list. Maybe I'll read one between WoT books.

Blatz

Currently this....
51Ys51PMPYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm about 100 pages in and it's pretty freaking great.

Finished this earlier in the month. Good, but not great. 300 pages too long also.
61JWropvoHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Just picked up this on my Kindle.
51BK6ycdBBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

£0.77 for All the novels and the short stories (Which are free on kindle anyway), a bargain.
There were a couple of different compilations, not sure if there's any difference...

I bought the entire collection for 1 dollar, worth every cent.

Davedough

I'm late to the party, but I'm still reading A Game of Thrones. I'd not seen, and still have not seen the HBO show and decided to read the books. I love it, but man it sure takes me a long time to get through it. I'm close to done with the first book, but its been over a month that I've been reading it.

314761_L.jpg

'Kokoro' by Natsume Soseki.
It's actually the sixth book I've started since 8 days ago, I've started and finished 5 books throughout that period of time, and currently I'm reading this one, I'll finish it within a few hours, I'm sure.

It's very easy to read, and very pleasant, despite the melancholy feeling.
I'm not particularly knowledgeable about literature, but I'm vaguely aware the book was (is) very popular, and I can see why.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Needing: A Sci-fi book about living on a space ship

Needs to be: Kindle compatable
Would like it to be, but it's not necessary: Scary or with thick atmosphere and more Star Trek sci-fi than Mass Effect. Something more believable, I guess.

dekline

W8Azz.jpg

I'm blazing through the last 100 pages right now. Great book. I would recommend it to anybody in the mood for a little adventure.

Next i'm going to read either Over the Edge of the World (about Magellan's circumnavigation of the globe) or The Inferno by Dante. Haven't decided which i'll read first yet.

Would like it to be, but it's not necessary: Scary or with thick atmosphere and more Star Trek sci-fi than Mass Effect. Something more believable, I guess.

Try Tau Zero by Poul Anderson, it's on kindle; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XVYLEY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 - the story deals with a lengthy interstellar space journey using an experimental form of propulsion, and focuses mostly on the strain that the realities of the journey puts on the crew and how they deal with the increasingly monumental speeds they are travelling at. It might sometimes come across as a bit dry, as the author strove for accuracy when it came to technical and scientific detail, but it is well written for the most part, has a great premise seen through well to the end and some excellent characters.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished

A Confederacy of Dunces By John Kennedy Toole

Actually finished this a few days ago. Thought it was absolutely wonderful and hilarious. The kind of novel I see myself re-reading a few months from now or something. Speaking of re-reading..

Now Reading

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith

Re-reading my favorite book of all-time!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the update! I think I'm going to start with it after finishing the book I'm currently reading. Didn't know that there was a sequel to "bitter seeds". I have to check that out too.

it's very new 'the coldest war' I picked it up right after finishing bitter seeds. books are not overly long as well, unsure on pages as I got em on kindle.

Did end up enjoying the first one quite a bit. it was obviously written with a sequel in mind, and I didn't think long about purchasing the second. Does suffer badly from the english main guy being quite unlikeable though, my only criticism would be that the german characters are just WAAAAY more interesting generally, book talks about their perspectives and motivations a lot more than the warlocks, who are sort of secondary characters a lot of the time.

It's not as good as 'wool' which is the best book I've read in ages, but very enjoyable read, been getting through it on the bus ride to and from work.

taoofjord

This month I've read:

- The Sword of the Lictor by Gene Wolfe (Book 3 of The Book of the New Sun). Still don't really like the series but I am compelled to continue due to it being really intriguing. I know the main enjoyment from the series is piecing everything together but the journey itself isn't all that engaging. Severian's obsession with women is pretty obnoxious and there are some relatively goofy action scenes that don't quite fit the tone the rest of book sets of a serious, introspective, symbolism-rich journey. Also, no one feels like a real person and the dialogue is stilted. It sure is interesting though. :)

- A Clash of Kings. Finally got around to reading this. I read Game of Thrones back in 2006. This was quite entertaining but not as good as the first. Nevertheless, I'm completely attached to the world and characters so for now it's hard to not enjoy reading about them.

Which brings me up to 14 books so far this year (My record). :) My goal is to hit 30 before the year ends.

Currently Reading:

- A Storm of Swords
- All the Pretty Horses

FnordChan

Earlier in this thread I discussed my own personal Robert Heinlein Festival, where I've been going back and reading a lot of the Grandmaster's earlier novels. Two of his novels I read recently, Time For The Stars and Citizen of the Galaxy deal with life on a starship, the later in a lengthy section and the former for almost the entire book. Now, these novels are each over fifty years old and are aimed at a younger audience, so they're not on the scary end of the spectrum and you may not be into the style of writing. However, they're fast paced, full of interesting ideas about life on a starship, and I thought they were entertaining as all hell.

I wish there was a Kindle version of John Barnes' Orbital Resonance, which is about a group of teenagers who have grown up on a space station, with a lot of time spent looking at their day to day lives. Alas, I don't believe a digital version is currently available, but I liked the book so much I thought I'd mention it.

Now, there is a Kindle version of Lois Bujold's Nebula award winning Falling Free, which is about a space station manned by quaddies, genetically engineered humans with another set of arms instead of legs who were designed to live in zero-G habitats. It is one hell of a fantastic novel. Also, it's set in the same universe as Bujold's Vorkosigan saga, allowing me to pimp it yet again in this thread.

Finally, for something that does have some scares in it, how about Vernor Vinge's Hugo award winning A Deepness in the Sky? It's the companion book to his earlier, celebrated novel A Fire Upon The Deep, but the connection is loose enough that I'd say A Deepness in the Sky would stand alone just fine by itself. I don't want to go into too much detail about the plot, so suffice to say that it's about two different sorts of human starships that arrive at an alien world, at which point things get very political. Aside from the alien world plot (which unfolds in subtle, fascinating ways), the action largely takes place on two long range starships and deals with the different cultures in each one. I think it might be just the book you're looking for.

FnordChan

Mumei

- The Sword of the Lictor by Gene Wolfe (Book 3 of The Book of the New Sun). Still don't really like the series but I am compelled to continue due to it being really intriguing. I know the main enjoyment from the series is piecing everything together but the journey itself isn't all that engaging. Severian's obsession with women is pretty obnoxious and there are some relatively goofy action scenes that don't quite fit the tone the rest of book sets of a serious, introspective, symbolism-rich journey. Also, no one feels like a real person and the dialogue is stilted. It sure is interesting though. :)

I read a really interesting analysis of it (that was written before The Urth of the New Sun was released) which talked about this in particular. I don't want to spoil anything by saying what the argument was, as you aren't finished and it might also spoil the fun of coming to your own conclusions first, but I would recommend reading the section on The Book of the New Sun after you finish. I thought it was an interesting take on it, and it gave some suggestions for some little niggling things that had been bothering me when I finished.

I do know what you mean about the sort of stilted dialogue and no one feeling quite real. That seems to be a feature in all of Gene Wolfe's books; they feel more like puzzle pieces than characters. It was one thing I liked about that book was that she considered Severian as a character, and that's something I had a lot of trouble doing.

I do need to reread, though.

taoofjord

I can't really speak for his other books, I've only read the short story (not the novella) The Fifth Head of Cerberus and had no problem with it there.

While reading Book of the new Sun the stilted dialogue perhaps doesn't work in its favor but it doesn't detract too much either since the book has such a mythic feeling. Being "translated" into our language as well as it being an account of Severian's journey and his conversations by the man himself all work together to make the unnatural dialogue fit in. Nevertheless, I'd still have preferred richer characters.

I'll surely finish the fourth book but for now I'm taking a break just as I did after finishing the second. I'm excited to read what other people make of the series once I finish. It's certainly a book that spawns many a fun conversation.

Mumei

I finished William Blake's Songs of Innocence and of Experience. Two particular favorites:

A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I watered it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears:
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night.
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning glad I see;
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

On Another's Sorrow

Can I see another's woe,
And not be in sorrow too?
Can I see another's grief,
And not seek for kind relief?

Can I see a falling tear,
And not feel my sorrow's share?
Can a father see his child
Weep, nor be with sorrow filled?

Can a mother sit and hear
An infant groan, an infant fear?
No, no! never can it be!
Never, never can it be!

And can He who smiles on all
Hear the wren with sorrows small,
Hear the small bird's grief and care,
Hear the woes that infants bear --

And not sit beside the next,
Pouring pity in their breast,
And not sit the cradle near,
Weeping tear on infant's tear?

And not sit both night and day,
Wiping all our tears away?
Oh no! never can it be!
Never, never can it be!

He doth give his joy to all:
He becomes an infant small,
He becomes a man of woe,
He doth feel the sorrow too.

Think not thou canst sigh a sigh,
And thy Maker is not by:
Think not thou canst weep a tear,
And thy Maker is not year.

Oh He gives to us his joy,
That our grief He may destroy:
Till our grief is fled and gone
He doth sit by us and moan.​

Not the only two I enjoyed, but two that stuck out for me in particular.

I can't really speak for his other books, I've only read the short story (not the novella) The Fifth Head of Cerberus and had no problem with it there.

Yeah, I actually was bothered by it there, as well. I mean, his books have a lot of other things going for them, and his characters are really interesting as abstractions; they just seem to lack this something - some central humanity? - that allows me to inhabit them. I was also bothered by it in Peace, too.

And you only read The Fifth Head of Cerberus? Well, the short story is the novella version; the only difference is that the novella contains two other stories, "A Story," by John V. Marsch and V.R.T, and these three stories intertwine with each other in interesting ways. It sort of reminds me of Pale Fire (with its Foreword / Poem / Commentary / Index structure), in that respect and how there is a lot going on beneath the surface.

If you liked the first story much at all, I would seek out the rest of the novella; I really only marginally enjoyed the first story and it wasn't until after finishing the other two stories (and really several months later as it was one of those stories that stuck in my head) that I decided I really enjoyed it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Loving the second Wool novel, it's mostly a world building piece with the author giving more info regardin the inner workings of the silo complex. loved the scene
with the contrast of the celebration and how worked over the people got over the cleaning, with that of the mayor and deputy solemn attitude over who was just sent to die to get the cleaning done.

the writing is still just as good.

Havent read a proper book all the way through since like high school but I recently as 2 weeks ago started and finished Thousand Splendid Suns. It was great.

Trin

Got a copy of Sense and Sensibility for an upcoming plane trip and just started reading Staying OK, which is the first self-help book I've ever picked up.

NekoFever

I finished Wizard and Glass, which I ended up loving. I'm fully back on board with that series and will start on Wolves of the Calla in the next month or so. No more six-year gaps between them.

Now I'm going to start The Forever War, which I keep seeing recommended and is a friend's favourite book ever. High expectations, even if my copy has an ugly-ass cover:

O75mF.jpg

I also found a copy of Greg Bear's The Forge of God in a charity shop for £1, so I grabbed that because I enjoyed Halo: Cryptum. I have no clue whatsoever about the content or what it's like, so I'll be going into that blind once I finish The Forever War.

taoofjord

I finished Wizard and Glass, which I ended up loving. I'm fully back on board with that series and will start on Wolves of the Calla in the next month or so. No more six-year gaps between them.

Now I'm going to start The Forever War, which I keep seeing recommended and is a friend's favourite book ever. High expectations, even if my copy has an ugly-ass cover:

O75mF.jpg

I also found a copy of Greg Bear's The Forge of God in a charity shop for £1, so I grabbed that because I enjoyed Halo: Cryptum. I have no clue whatsoever about the content or what it's like, so I'll be going into that blind once I finish The Forever War.

That cover isn't all that bad in my opinion. It has a nice cheesy sci-fi art vibe to it I enjoy (even though it doesn't fit the book at all). That said, SF Masterwork covers are often embarrassing, especially their logo. Glad they're doing what they're doing though.

FACE

Banned
Finishing Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan and like everything else I've read written by the man I'm loving it.

Top Bottom