• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2012)

JLG-

Finished reading Hugh Howey's Wool. Man this was great. Loved it.

jTLkX.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
While I'm thinking about it, I thought I'd ask for recommendations on something I've been craving.

Can anybody recommend me any genuinely good, well-written mystery novels (preferably murder-mystery) with good twists/surprises? Not just fun pulp mystery, but something that actually stands up to critical reading?

Mudita

Neo Member
I recently started
LE6z6.jpg

But gave up after a few chapters due to intense boredom and some confusion over characters, too many too fast. Trying to decide if I will give it another go later.

I have never really gotten into the epic fantasy genre before, but this came highly recommended by a friend who has a lot of similar reading interests as me. I just finished it and loved it.
hYJr0.jpg

Just started the sequel
The Wise Man's Fear

_Isaac

I just finished Bone 4 The Dragonslayer by Jeff Smith
ch2PY.jpg

I'm at the beginning of The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas.
4qjMJ.jpg

It's been pretty good so far, but I've taken a break from it to read....

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
SK6Pq.jpg

I recently started
LE6z6.jpg

But gave up after a few chapters due to intense boredom and some confusion over characters, too many too fast. Trying to decide if I will give it another go later.

Keep going. The beginning is really hard to keep up with because he drops you in media res and uses terminology he completely made up just for these books, but once you kind of get a sense of what's going on, it gets exciting. I think the payoff at the end is worth it.

I'm at the beginning of The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas.
4qjMJ.jpg

That's a great general programming book. I like that it's not about a specific language, or even teaches you hard programming skills. More like best practices and how to organize and think about your code. We make every new developer we hire read it.

It's a technique where a book drops you into the middle of events, rather than starting at the beginning.

Very, very common literary technique- you'll see it all over the place if you're looking. Especially opening chapters where the main character is reminiscing about long past events, then the narrative jumps back and starts again.

Anyways. Just finished
13_norwegianwood800.jpg

Good read, really hit home for me as I just finished up a relationship with a suicidally depressed woman- Murakami nails the affect and makes a terribly beautiful novel. A Murakami without surrealism is actually a bit strange itself, but this is a worthwhile novel. I'd like to one day read the Birnbaum translation, but it seems quite rare. Watched about 30 minutes of the film on Netflix, not sure how well it's going to translate, but willing to see it through to the end. At least we got his rad poster out of the affair.

dbums.gif

Interesting little Kerouac novel. Read it for a class on the Beats, certainly a good novel to try and dive further into the period and the group. The Buddhism is shallow but there's a good story and good moments, and a sense of melancholia and learning within the rocket-speed prose.

Trying to knock out some of DFW's essays and short stories currently, probably head on to more Murakami after this. His dreamy surrealism seems a great fit for summer.

Kaladin

200px-American_gods.jpg

Halfway through this book and I'm enjoying it immensely. It was a bit slow to start but once it picked up I can't really put it down. Love Neil Gaiman's work!

I came here to post exactly this. I'm even halfway through the book....well, 45% according to my kindle.

After this, I'm moving on to Connie Willis's Doomsday Book:

hSSE3.jpg

Oh....almost forgot, I just finished The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco for a history class I'm taking. It's a decent murder mystery if you don't mind 14th century monks and around 200 of the 500+ pages of the book being a history lesson while the rest is plot.

Book01.jpg

Protome

I finished Prince of Thorns this morning, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not great, but it was a really easy read and had some interesting twists I look forward to reading the sequel.

Not sure what I'm going to read next. I have the Wind-up girl sitting half finished, so I'll probably attempt to slog through that.

its f'ing hilarious,
i sit in bed in the evening giggling away ^^

gotta love Terry Pratchett :)

One of his finest books, if you haven't already you should read Reaper man and Thief of Time after it.

Izick

Does anyone here read books on a tablet? I'm going to be picking up a Nexus 7 later on this month, and was just curious to know what I was getting myself into. I'm used to reading off a screen, so I don't think eye-strain will be a problem, but you never know I guess.

Help me, I am ashamed. I haven't read anything since forever. I want to get into reading. So, I bought a Kindle, can you guys recommend me something to read.

I'll be on holiday for 11 days so something I can read while lazing by the pool.

Out of two genres; I was thinking (maybe because I'm playing Alan Wake and really into to it atm) a Horror or maybe a fantasy/sci fi...

I just want something "fun" to read :)

If you want a book that will pull at your emotions, try 'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett I don't know anyone who I've gotten to read that book who doesn't love it.

Does anyone here read books on a tablet? I'm going to be picking up a Nexus 7 later on this month, and was just curious to know what I was getting myself into. I'm used to reading off a screen, so I don't think eye-strain will be a problem, but you never know I guess.

I have a kindle, and a 'new' iPad, and I've recently began reading on my iPad more than my kindle. I would get eye strain in college all the time from reading off a computer for hours, but reading off my iPad has been pretty easy. No problems at all. My poor kindle :(

FnordChan

Can anybody recommend me any genuinely good, well-written mystery novels (preferably murder-mystery) with good twists/surprises? Not just fun pulp mystery, but something that actually stands up to critical reading?

Can the twists and surprises be about how twisted the morals of the main character are and how you're surprised that he can function with that much booze in him? Because, let me tell you, Don't Point That Thing At Me by Kyril Bonfiglioli is tremendously entertaining and definitely more than just a pulp novel, though it does have fun in spades.

Alternately, for something more serious (but certainly not conventional), Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time is a bona fide classic about a detective laid up in the hospital who finds himself researching Richard III. If you like that and want more from Tey, follow it up with The Singing Sands.

I've been curious to read at least some of this ever since I became a fan of Neal Stephenson's The Big U.

FnordChan

While I'm thinking about it, I thought I'd ask for recommendations on something I've been craving.

The Alienist by Caleb Carr is one of my all time favorites.

alienist-197x300.jpg
It takes place in New York City in 1896, and includes appearances by many famous figures of New York society in that era, including Theodore Roosevelt and J. P. Morgan. The story follows Roosevelt, then New York City police commissioner, and Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, as their investigative team attempts to solve gruesome murders through new methods including fingerprinting and psychology. The first murder victim investigated is a 13-year-old immigrant who has had his eyes removed, and the investigators deal with various interest groups that wish to maintain the status quo regarding the poor immigrant population in New York City.

I finished this on Tuesday:

200px-A-holes_Finish_First_cover.jpg

And yesterday my mom went to the library and brought this home for me:

9780446697965_388X586.jpg

Really cool of her, considering she's pretty religious.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
And yesterday my mom went to the library and brought this home for me:

9780446697965_388X586.jpg

Really cool of her, considering she's pretty religious.
Weirdly enough, God is Not Great is the book that made me no longer identify as an atheist.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Thanks for those mystery recommendations above, I've added them to my reading list on Goodreads. Still open to more from others though!

Let me know what you think of that. I read That Old Cape Magic by Russo and even though its depressing as hell I loved it. I could certainly go for another Russo book at this point.

Being about a hundred pages in now I'd definitely recommend it. Haven't read any other Russo but likely will in the future now. I've heard from a few sources that this book is hilarious or some other similar word, but I've not laughed out loud. It's very droll really. I'm also really enjoying Russo's writing. This book specifically has a lot of instances that one might point to as examples of poor writing or characterization, but to me it's all obviously due to the central character being a sociopath and his views coloring the world we're seeing through him.

I want to read this, but his writing is so schizophrenic.

Is this a Fry "I see what you did there" moment?

Or legitimately bad structure and/or editing complaint?

Regarding Daniel Abraham, I read and really enjoyed his first series, the Long Price Quartet. I thought the Dragon's Path was pretty mediocre, and just started the King's Blood. Hopefully I will like this one better.

Weirdly enough, God is Not Great is the book that made me no longer identify as an atheist.

Because it was too hateful? Not judging you, just wondering. Do you identify as an agnostic now, for the reasons Neil deGrasse Tyson gave?

the mom clearly has a secret plan.

Heheheh. Now that's some chess-like strategy.

Your judgement?

The first 1/3rd of the book had me bursting into fits of laughter numerous times. Then it started to get super repetitive — he goes out with friends, gets shitfaced, acts like an asshole, and does something stupid/crazy/funny — but it still had me laughing occasionally. I had never heard of Tucker Max before getting this book, but apparently that's what he's famous for. It did its job as an easy read, but after the first half of the book you'll never need to read another one of his stories again.

TLDR: Easy read, good for the bathroom. Hilarious at times, but gets very repetitive. Try to see if your library has it, or borrow from a friend, because there's no need to buy it.

Halfway through The Sun Also Rises.

I can't believe he wrote that novel in his mid-twenties. It makes me want to get off my ass and finally compile all the shit I've been working on over the last fifteen years.

Just read Empire State. I thought it was alright.
The book had so many double crosses that by the end I didn't know who I should actually be rooting for.

Sliver

I'm on a gigantic sci-fi binge and have been loving it.

First I read The Forever War, which really lended it's sparse and detail-less writing style to it's surroundings. Loved the hell out of it, but it was only the beginning.

Currently about 60% into Starship Troopers but I've put it down for my next book. It's similar, but not as cut and dry as Forever War, which I liked more so far.

And right now I'm knee deep in Snow Crash and really digging it. After hearing that Hiro is in talks to be played by Keanu Reeves thats the only way I can picture him now, and I don't really mind. I'm like 1/4 into it right now and I'm sure the plot will pick up, but reading about the Metaverse and all that good stuff has been cool so far.

My kindle has made it waaay too easy to buy things, for instance right now I have the following on the back burner: Red Mars, The Longships, Homocide: Life on the Streets, Skagboys, Cloud Atlas, and The Last Wish.

Troll

Banned
51d0g7VufEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just started this, hoping it's good. So far, it's alright.

As for American Gods... I really didn't like a single thing about Lakeside. The whole middle of the book to me was just flat out boring. I love me some Gaiman, but this was definitely not up to his standards.

HKnightz

Just finished a book called City of Thieves and I have to say...it's one of the best books I've read. Kinda late, so can't elaborate but just know that you're in for a treat if you haven't read it yet.

[american gods]
The Lakeside part had a great ending imo.

Although Shadow coming between the two sides and explaining Wednesday's plan to them didn't feel like the climax I was expecting.

Yeah, that book is just weird. There were parts I absolutely enjoyed reading, and most of it was the slice-of-life type stuff, and then there were the sections where I wish I had a masters degree in mythology to even understand what the hell was going on and who was who.

Top Bottom