• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2015)

Peru

Silas Marner is not the book to read if you feel the George Eliot box needs to be checked (and it should be!). One of those cases of educators choosing the wrong book from a great author for the school circuit. Probably made quite a few readers dislike her. I'm a huge fan of GE, but this story often feels pedestrian. Not that they'd appreciate seeing the longer Middlemarch on the shelves but it def would've made a few more diehard fans out of those sticking with it.

mu cephei

Pale Fire!

It's that good huh! (I know you've read some of the others.)

Silas Marner is not the book to read if you feel the George Eliot box needs to be checked (and it should be!). One of those cases of educators choosing the wrong book from a great author for the school circuit. Probably made quite a few readers dislike her. I'm a huge fan of GE, but this story often feels pedestrian. Not that they'd appreciate seeing the longer Middlemarch on the shelves but it def would've made a few more diehard fans out of those sticking with it.

Interesting. I've read Middlemarch (fab) and The Mill on the Floss (didn't like it as much) but yeah, Silas Marner is the one my English teacher told me to read back when I was thinking of studying English at University.

Ashes

Banned
Middlemarch is 900+ pages. Gonna read that next year. From your list I reckon Madame Bovary might be a good one to chalk off my own personal List.

---

Alright, I'm starting a fellow gaffer's Book: Aidan Moher - Tide of Shadows and Other Stories

Not many, actually. Just The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, and Madame Bovary.

Heart of Darkness might be a good one for you to read.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ok :) here are a few: Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment; Joseph Conrad - Nostromo, The Secret Agent, Lord Jim, Heart of Darkness; George Eliot - Silas Marner; Flaubert - Madame Bovary; Hermann Hesse - The Glass Bead Game, Steppenwolf; Vladimir Nabokov - Pale Fire; John Steinbeck - East of Eden, Tortilla Flat; Edith Wharton - The House of Mirth; Emile Zola - Truth

But I have more if none of those take your fancy.

Of these, I have and have not read Lord Jim, Steppenwolf and The Glass Bead Game.

I could try to pick up Pale Fire tomorrow if you're really keen on that one though. (Only have Lolita here)

Mumei

Heart of Darkness might be a good one for you to read.

I have actually been told that before. I even went so far as to get it out of the library, but I didn't find the motivation to start it and ended up returning it. I'll get to it eventually!

Peru

Interesting. I've read Middlemarch (fab) and The Mill on the Floss (didn't like it as much) but yeah, Silas Marner is the one my English teacher told me to read back when I was thinking of studying English at University.

It may be me.. but I find the story predictable and the moral too easy - it's easy to write a school report on (and therefore an understandable choice), but I think most of her signature qualities are lacking and replaced with sentimentality. That unparallelled insight into the personal struggles, the mind's workings, meeting society's mechanisms isn't really shown here.

The Mill on the Floss to me was painfully accurate in painting the conflicting emotions of family relationships. Maggie is a beautiful creation and her journey with her brother hit me hard.

Middlemarch is 900+ pages. Gonna read that next year. .

Middlemarch remains the favorite. When a book leaves you gobsmacked by the intelligence of an author, and yet more than anything an emotional wreck, you know you've got a special mix.

Ashes

Banned
I have actually been told that before. I even went so far as to get it out of the library, but I didn't find the motivation to start it and ended up returning it. I'll get to it eventually!

Do note that there is some racism in the book if seen from an African Perspective.* Even if it does show the hypocrisy of the European colonialism [according to some people].

edit:* of course through modern lenses too, but I meant that most people would take that for granted seeing when the book was published.

mu cephei

It may be me.. but I find the story predictable and the moral too easy - it's easy to write a school report on (and therefore an understandable choice), but I think most of her signature qualities are lacking and replaced with sentimentalism. That unparallelled insight into the personal struggles, the mind's workings, meeting society's mechanisms isn't really shown here.

The Mill on the Floss to me was painfully accurate in painting the conflicting emotions of family relationships. Maggie is a beautiful creation and her journey with her brother hit me hard.

Middlemarch remains the favorite. When a book leaves you gobsmacked by the intelligence of an author, and yet more than anything an emotional wreck, you know you've got a special mix.

I know I didn't give Mill on the Floss a fair chance when I was reading it, it seemed like one of those 'life is shit and then you die' stories, which can make me really impatient and ungenerous. I wish I would have time to re-read it, but probably I'll just have to chalk it up as a wasted opportunity.

Of these, I have and have not read Lord Jim, Steppenwolf and The Glass Bead Game.

I could try to pick up Pale Fire tomorrow if you're really keen on that one though. (Only have Lolita here)

Which would you prefer? I really want to read all of them, so I don't mind. The advantage of reading Pale Fire would be that it's (I think) probably the most difficult of them, so having a co-reader would be the most beneficial. But maybe you don't want to read a really difficult book on your holiday!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
fTHltCc.jpg

Read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn last week. Holy shit. I've never been so tense reading as I was during the first half of that novel.

Now thinking of starting Bujold's Vorkosigan series, starting with The Warrior's Apprentice(?).

Alright, I'm starting a fellow gaffer's Book: Aidan Moher - Tide of Shadows and Other Stories.

Eeep!

Cfh123

I read H is for Hawk recently and it is excellent.

I'm now reading this novel about anthropologists, which so far is very good:

j1wztwa.jpg

I read The People in the Trees recently, another books about anthropologists. It seems anthropology makes for a good subject for fiction.

braves01

Banned
Anyone ever read one of those big Otto Penzler Vintage/Black Lizard anthologies? I've some Amazon credit to burn and these intrigue me but I'm not aure which to get. I'm leaning towards of the horror ones atm.

Ted Sunday

Neo Member
d566cbcf8df5d359da4f9e505fc1f34d.jpg

currently 60 pages into this and am really digging it. I hope the other half is just as strong.

After this i'll move onto the epic

books15f-1-web.jpg

Mumei

Now thinking of starting Bujold's Vorkosigan series, starting with The Warrior's Apprentice(?).

Is this a reread or a first time thing? For some reason I assume you've read every science fiction-y thing over five years old.

After this i'll move onto the epic

books15f-1-web.jpg

woo

I read The People in the Trees recently, another books about anthropologists. It seems anthropology makes for a good subject for fiction.

How did you like that?

TTG

You can read the Heart of Darkness in one sitting, unlike the painfully dull and slow Nostromo. That was so bad I quit about a third way through. Now that I think about it, I did the same with The Secret Agent back in HS days.

I just finished The Woman in the Dunes and thought it was fucking brilliant. Now I'm reading Spring Snow and greatly enjoying it. I've only read a short story by Mishima and seen the Paul Schrader film (which is one of my favorites), so I'm glad to see that the man's writing lives up to the intrigue surrounding him as a person. Devastatingly beautiful writer.

Ok :) here are a few: Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment; Joseph Conrad - Nostromo, The Secret Agent, Lord Jim, Heart of Darkness; George Eliot - Silas Marner; Flaubert - Madame Bovary; Hermann Hesse - The Glass Bead Game, Steppenwolf; Vladimir Nabokov - Pale Fire; John Steinbeck - East of Eden, Tortilla Flat; Edith Wharton - The House of Mirth; Emile Zola - Truth

But I have more if none of those take your fancy.

I have read a handful of these and of what ive read I would suggest pale fire.

TTG

No copies of A Little Life available via the CPL.

I'd probably hate it, anyway.

All I know is that I hate that cover. I don't ever think of slapping/punching people based on facial expressions, but that dude is bringing me around. Since it's customary for people to post images of the books they read I've seen some clunkers(looking at you Dresden Files), but this is an active repellant.

All I know is that I hate that cover. I don't ever think of slapping/punching people based on facial expressions, but that dude is bringing me around. Since it's customary for people to post images of the books they read I've seen some clunkers(looking at you Dresden Files), but this is an active repellant.
Poor Jude.

Dresden

I'm a bit into A Little Life and I've spent half my time just highlighting passages. What a wonderful book. I'm in love with the characters, and I haven't even gotten to Jude's history, which I've seen only as glimpses intimated by the way his friends care for him, the careful distancing maintained by their regard for his privacy. This is turning out to be something quite special.

I also bought Grace of Kings by Ken Liu, but I don't think I'll be able to get to it anytime soon.

---

Also read some other stuff this week:

Noggin / Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley - very good, although Noggin has this totally TEEN MOVIE moment that really took me out of it. It's YA, and it's good YA! I guess all those Printz and National Book Award (finalist) tags weren't just for show after all. Coming off Ember in Whatever (I got only a little into it - I bailed out when the solemn narration informed me that a tribe of seafaring people were called the Mariners, evoking the dystopianYA twitter account except that it was horrifyingly real, and published, and successful) it was nice to be reminded that sturgeon's law applies here too, albeit with some caveats like removing a zero off the 10% mark.

I guess what I like so much about these books is that they're young adult novels targeted at young adults that's not afraid to acknowledge loss. Like not just your dying lover boyfriend/girlfriend croaking near the end to give you the feeeelz, but loss of a more ordinary sort, where just living is enough to send you careening into places you are not ready for, because living is to always be in that state of unreadiness, of being caught by surprise, and the surprises are rarely perfectly happy. It's loss as a grind, whether it's the rigors of living in a town that has locked down your career choices via zip code alone, or the dislocation of losing five years and seeing the people you love move forward and leave you behind, and the revelations that you stumble across once you catch up. It feels real, I guess; the YA industry as a whole seems set on selling fantasies not to teens but to adults who cannot move past nostalgia, so it's good to see something that does. I dunno, I feel like I could express this with the kind of eloquence I could never muster if I had access to more gifs.

---

City of Stairs - Didn't get far into it but I liked what I read of it, and Shara is turning out to be quite likable as a protag. Thought the title was dumb, but it fit well once you were introduced to the city of, well, stairs itself. Bulikov is an interesting place and I like it as this physical manifestation of a state in transition, where the very environment is frozen in flux between the past and the new.

---

Also read a bit more of My Struggle. Sardines on toast, how horrifying.

JaseMath

In the middle of a Dark Tower re-read. Currently in the throws of Wind Through the Keyhole (which I've not yet read). It's certainly not bad, but it doesn't really read or feel like a Dark Tower novel. Maybe my thoughts will change by the end; currently around pg.200.

Alucard

Banned
Just finished The Sword of Shannara.

15575._UY115_.jpg

Review here:
Solid epic fantasy only mired by too much meandering from time to time. Thankfully, just as one string of scenes starts feeling slow or slightly boring, something usually happens to pick up the reader's interest, usually in the form of a new character being introduced. The final 50 pages or so are great and keep things moving forward, but even the satisfying climax and surprising denouement don't outright take this book to that next level because of so much of the journey feeling like a slog from one location to the next, especially before the introduction of a certain mustachioed character.

It's also impossible to talk about this book without talking about its similarities to Lord of the Rings. A reluctant Halfling hero, a mysterious dark lord, spirit wraiths, a sympathetic character obsessed with a material object, and a wise old sage guiding the way for everyone involved. Brooks himself has said that he was largely influenced by Tolkien's opus, but there are thankfully enough differences to not write this off as a mere hack job. It's certainly easier to read than Tolkien's overly-descriptive narrative, and it's just as satisfying in many ways. However, because of how much time is spent traveling in the first half of the book, it might lose some readers before things get interesting, and there are some things left dangling by the end as well.

All in all, this will do the trick if you're looking to satisfy an epic fantasy craving, but don't expect anything life changing. 3/5

Moved on to this, and I'm already much more interested:

189783._UY126_.jpg

Have finished "the long utopia" by terry pratchet and Stephen Baxter yesterday. Really good read!

Am just starting on Proxima.

Alucard

Banned
Elfstones is a much superior novel to Sword. Curious to see what you think of it.

40 pages in and it's much more interesting and better-paced so far. I'm glad I read Sword to get familiar with the characters, but this already feels like it's going to be a much more focused, streamlined, and enjoyable ride.

Alucard

Banned
I'm reading Brave New World. So far it shits on 1984 and other books like it.

So weird for me to read this. It's been a while since I read BNW, but I recall thinking that 1984 was a far more substantial and enjoyable read. I remember BNW being bogged down in science-speak. Maybe I need to go back. I read it in my mid-twenties. 34 now.

mu cephei

I have read a handful of these and of what ive read I would suggest pale fire.

So that's Pale Fire = 2, Everything Else = 0. Hm.

The author had to fight to have that cover, as an accurate representation of the content of the book, to give people a bit of advance warning. Before I read it, that cover made me wince whenever I looked at it. After, it's just... totally right.

Crumbtiny

Reading a few different things, depending on the mood.

I picked this up today. I like Snyder's work on Batman, excited to see what he does here.

8eVoTOP.jpg

I started reading 11/22/63 again. I don't know if anyone else does this, but it's so good I almost don't want to read it right now. You ever just know a book is going to be good so you want to save it for some opportune reading situation? Or you just don't want to start it because then you know at some point it will be over?

EE2jkn2.jpg

I'm actually pretty impressed with how good the Injustice books have been. Kinda fun to see superheroes toss their principles out the window and do as they please.

Xad3dd8.jpg

Also reading the new Wright brother's bio by David McCullough. A fascinating family to be sure.

Scrum

I just started reading again after a couple of years (10 or so) of keeping myself away from books.

18210706.jpg

Im reading through River of London by Ben Aaronovitch. The picture being book number four.

Really good urban fantasy and police procedural.

Heres what the publisher has to say about the first book in the series which is called Midnight Riot in US and Rivers of London in EU.

Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London's Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he'll face is a paper cut. But Peter's prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter's ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic

TTG

The author had to fight to have that cover, as an accurate representation of the content of the book, to give people a bit of advance warning. Before I read it, that cover made me wince whenever I looked at it. After, it's just... totally right.

You mean a douche that was acting out a toddler's expression moments before breaking into sobs, she had to fight for that? I wonder why.

So that's Pale Fire = 2, Everything Else = 0. Hm.

Personally, I go with Dostoevsky. Do you know how Pale Fire is constructed? I don't read poetry, so I haven't bothered, but Lolita is about as aesthetically beautiful as writing gets in the English language. It's somehow effortlessly exquisite. Humbert Humbert makes Hannibal Lecter seem like a troglodyte.

Ashes

Banned
Personally, I go with Dostoevsky. Do you know how Pale Fire is constructed? I don't read poetry, so I haven't bothered, but Lolita is about as aesthetically beautiful as writing gets in the English language. It's somehow effortlessly exquisite. Humbert Humbert makes Hannibal Lecter seem like a troglodyte.

I'd go for Flaubert. If you're reading dead classics wasting away on shelves, that seems like the greater loss amongst the casualties of modern apathy.

Even Anna Karenina seems to have had a modern uptick.*

edit: & just googling now, seems like there's a new film out this very year!

Mumei

I think I've asked you this before, but honestly I cannot remember. How essential is reading that poem before digging into the book proper? I've tried reading the book before but I never got very far.

I read it straight through (e.g. table of contents -> foreword -> poem -> comments -> index), but it's possible to read it in many different ways, and you'll get a different experience of the novel depending on how you choose to read it. I read an analysis of the novel where the author of that book read it in a way where he would jump back and forth from poem to commentary / index as necessary, and just follow the rabbit hole, which I could see just from his descriptions of what you find out by doing that was a completely different experience from mine.

So, it's up to you; you can always read it a different way next time. But I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking that the poem is not part of the book proper. It's all of a piece, actually.

You mean a douche that was acting out a toddler's expression moments before breaking into sobs, she had to fight for that? I wonder why.

No, she had to fight for it because it's a picture of a man in the middle of orgasm. "It's obvious he's cumming!", is what her editor argued, as she recounts it.

Of course, the ambiguity of the photo - that it's easy to misread without context of knowing that it is a famous Peter Hujar photo of a man in orgasm - is sort of the point. It's something that can only make sense in retrospect as appropriate for the book, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, she had to fight for it because it's a picture of a man in the middle of orgasm. "It's obvious he's cumming!", is what her editor argued, as she recounts it.

Of course, the ambiguity of the photo - that it's easy to misread without context of knowing that it is a famous Peter Hujar photo of a man in orgasm - is sort of the point. It's something that can only make sense in retrospect as appropriate for the book, though.

Oh man you ruined it for me.

For the longest time I thought it was some guy going through the heaviest shit as he leans on his hand that's holding onto a shot glass (I don't know why my mind edited in the shot glass).

But now it's porn, and ruined.

And I am also ruined.

Mumei

Oh man you ruined it for me.

For the longest time I thought it was some guy going through the heaviest shit as he leans on his hand that's holding onto a shot glass (I don't know why my mind edited in the shot glass).

But now it's porn, and ruined.

And I am also ruined.

Yes, yes. I'm terrible for ruining the mystique. Or it would have been ruined when you looked at the photo credit on the book jacket. ;)

Where are you on ze log?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How to Win Friends and Be a Manipulative Bastard

Ashes

Banned
His Dark Materials

I recall my librarian recommending it to me.

An uniquely powerful anti-religious modern take on Science Fiction fairytales.

A real good book.

Even if one of my more lively atheist friends bought it for their child to read even before the child could learn to read.

Ron Mexico

Totally agree. I abandoned this well before the point you're at. Nonsense, and unbearably try-hard with it. A desperate grab at being LITERARY, showing off how much he understands the concept of Metafiction, but the book fundamentally doesn't work. And it's just irritating to read.

Just wanted to pile on here about Book of Numbers. About 30% through and just...painstaking to trudge through. Trying to reason with myself to just let it go and move on.

I think it's even worse for I just finished Catch-22 prior.

Alucard

Banned
I recall my librarian recommending it to me.

An uniquely powerful anti-religious modern take on Science Fiction fairytales.

A real good book.

Even if one of my more lively atheist friends bought it for their child to read even before the child could learn to read.

Liked the first, loved the second, hated the full-on pedantry of the third book that was a philosophical treatise and atheist circle jerk more than a story. Pullman can fuck off with that one. And I say that as an atheist.

Top Bottom