• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2015)

Finished Brain Maker yesterday. A good book that goes talks about the relationship between the microbiome in the gut and brain health. As someone who suffered a lot of brain problems before clearing up my diet, i found myself agreeing with it.

Piecake

The only downside is that one book would dominate most of the conversation. Though I personally like people talking about the books; I prefer the way the thread naturally ebbs and flows.

Seems like a drastic change rather than a more natural one. And I even, being an author on a GAF, would personally, dislike, if a GAF author was chosen, to launch their book, not that it would happen this month or next, but say next year or the year after, or something.

Maybe if we do a weekly book or something, we could tie it further with other threads [fifty books/fifty films], but more importantly not let a single book dominate things overwhelmingly...

I think you are vastly overestimating participation. I would bet the farm that most people will continue reading what they want to read.

Mumei

I think you are vastly overestimating participation. I would bet the farm that most people will continue reading what they want to read.

Me, too. I think it's a great idea to try, and I'd suggest making the first month we try this be August, so people will know what the book(s) will be.

Ashes

Banned
Me, too. I think it's a great idea to try, and I'd suggest making the first month we try this be August, so people will know what the book(s) will be.
No, you're correct. That's part of the reason I stopped doing them over time. It was a lot of work and not much participation. If I'd felt like a lot of people were participating and getting enjoyment out of it, I probably would've pushed to keep it going. Mostly what happened was maybe ten or so people would express interest when the thread went up, and then only a couple would follow through and read/discuss.

Seems like the Jury is sold on the idea Jim.

From my experience, this is an unlikely outcome. :p

I warned you the cyanship would fail. Though I didn't realise it'd fail via apathy.

When I was reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky earlier this year, I went through that thread. Just didn't want to bump the thread. So there are people who read it years down the line.

51TrpzPLP5L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mumeiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Necrovex

Finished Adrift this morning and loved it as expected.

Wondering what to read next.. really looking at Count of Monte Cristo. So daunting though.

Mumei is right, Monte Cristo is a very easy read. Hell I read it during high school, and I was a dumb kid during that period!

Seems like the Jury is sold on the idea Jim.

I warned you the cyanship would fail. Though I didn't realise it'd fail via apathy.

When I was reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky earlier this year, I went through that thread. Just didn't want to bump the thread. So there are people who read it years down the line.

Oh man, I wish I read Brothers Karamazov during that period. I would've enjoyed having structures and discussing my experience with Dostoyevsky's groovy book.

TTG

Alright, how should we begin the selection process? Maybe come up with a short list and go from there.

Cade

Alright, how should we begin the selection process? Maybe come up with a short list and go from there.

haly sent me a list of suggestions:

1. ready player one
  2. ready player one
  3. ready player one

looks like some solid variety tbh

kswiston

I think that the people running past book clubs tended to pick intellectual stuff, while (if you go by most of the posts in this thread) a lot of book GAF just wants to read pulp fantasy and sci fi. That might explain the lack of participation.

Ashes

Banned
My nomination is:
Three Men in a Boat. by Jerome K. Jerome

Do you like to laugh? If yes, read this book. Supposed to be the funniest of them all.*

I was recommended this book because I apparently I don't have a sense of humour. I am perfectly serious all the time. And only read dead authors.

I suppose I am cheating because I am going to be reading this in July. And wouldn't mind the company.

*this isn't hyperbole on my part. I don't know much about literature, but even I have heard about its reputation. I just don't really read comedies. Well. The time is now.

Yes. It's short. I HAVE A CHALLENGE TO GET THROUGH!! don't look at me like that.

survivor

Banned
It's like watching a trashy LN anime
Zack Lightman has spent his life dreaming. Dreaming that the real world could be a little more like the countless science-fiction books, movies, and videogames he’s spent his life consuming. Dreaming that one day, some fantastic, world-altering event will shatter the monotony of his humdrum existence and whisk him off on some grand space-faring adventure.

But hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little escapism, right? After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality. He knows that here in the real world, aimless teenage gamers with anger issues don’t get chosen to save the universe.

And then he sees the flying saucer.

Even stranger, the alien ship he’s staring at is straight out of the videogame he plays every night, a hugely popular online flight simulator called Armada—in which gamers just happen to be protecting the earth from alien invaders.

redlegs87

Think-and-Grow-Rich.jpg

I go to therapy and I have a case manager that helps me set up goals and plans. He suggested I read this book. I am like 4 Chapters in and it's mostly been just mumbo jump bullcrap. There's been a few things of real great advice but most of it is just nonsense.

Ashes

Banned
I go to therapy and I have a case manager that helps me set up goals and plans. He suggested I read this book. I am like 4 Chapters in and it's mostly been just mumbo jump bullcrap. There's been a few things of real great advice but most of it is just nonsense.

I've read the original. It's just as bad.

TTG

Go Set a Watchman comes out July 14th. Something to keep in mind. It will be brand new and obviously the biggest name of the year.

I nominate Go Set a Watchman!

Just finished Brideshead Revisited, which was wonderful. Now about to start Kafka on the Shore; liked Blind Willow Sleeping Woman by Murakami, so I've high hopes for this one. Still reading The Stand, enjoying it but slowly losing interest.

It's like watching a trashy LN anime

Ugh. I'm not surprised after reading that synopsis, but in Ernest Cline's clumsy hands this is going to be another 400 page description of a dimwitted 13 year old's Mary Sue wet dream. He must have to shave his palms after every chapter he clunks out.

Necrovex

I'm nominating A Little Life, since every Gaffer should have the opportunity to have an emotional breakdown due to a book.

Picked up Galveston last week based on a thread recommendation and finished it last night. I don't know what I disliked about it, maybe the fact it felt like the story was burning along and then just ended so antidramatically. It really burns me too because it was a good read up to a point and then it was like the hard-ass character you've been reading about turns into mush. The flip-flopping of time from back then to now as neat, I suppose that's what is similar to True Detective?

I really need to watch that, speaking of.

ngower

Is Armada any good? I enjoyed Ready Player One, but did find at times it felt a little...I dunno, stupid? And not in a good way. Just really really pandered to a specific crowd that, at times, felt forced. But, overall, it was fun.

Just about wrapping up Belzhar (all but neglected it for a week) and it's alright. My criticism of the protagonist being where she is after a 30-day relationship remains: it's stupid no one is this heartbroken after 30 days. But it's fluffy and fun and a good break before diving into some history.

It's really very funny.
“It has been remarked (by a lady infinitely cleverer than the present author) how kindly disposed the world in general feels to young people who either die or marry. Imagine then the interest that surrounded Miss Wintertowne! No young lady ever had such advantages before: for she died upon the Tuesday, was raised to life in the early hours of Wednesday morning, and was married upon the Thursday; which some people thought too much excitement for one week.”​
And by the way, glad to hear you enjoyed A Little Life. It's an experience.

Some of the footnotes so far have me howling.

"Beneath the Virgin's feet were a lion and a dragon who curled around each other in a most puzzling manner and bit each other's necks. These creatures had been carved by someone who had never seen a lion or a dragon, but who had seen a great many dogs and sheep and something of the character of a dog and a sheep had got into his carving. Whenever some poor fellow was brought before the Virgin and Child to be examined the lion and the dragon would cease biting each other and look up like the Virgin's strange watchdogs and the lion would bark and the dragon would bleat angrily."​

And yes, A Little Life is really something special. I hope I'll have the fortitude to re-read it one day.

I'm nominating A Little Life, since every Gaffer should have the opportunity to have an emotional breakdown due to a book.

It still hurts!

Those final few chapters are some serious emotional hurdles. But so worth it.

Nuke Soda

Read Frostbite by Richelle Mead, it was kind of stupid, but I thought it was okay. At least things happened in the end.

Started reading The Honorable Schoolboy by John le Carre, my second attempt at the book. It gets kinds of boring towards the middle.

Necrovex

Finally completed The Brothers Karamazov. Fantastic novel. Very long-winded and the writing style was all over the place. But that's part of its charms. I'll read Crime and Punishment one day but not anytime soon. I need a break from classic literature.

I planned on reading something dry next, but my library told me my copy of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is now available. Time to experience Valetine's writing all over again! I'm sure my Kindle dictionary will be getting a workout.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be down for reading stuff together too, I tried to ask around about co-reading unread classics that shame your shelves earlier, with little response :p

As long as it's not sci-fi/fantasy I'll probably join in!

Top Bottom