• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Norse Mythology made me want to pick up American Gods again.

There's some good stuff involving the Norse gods in Gaiman's Sandman run as well if you have never read that. They are graphic novels, but the writing is as good or better than most of his novels.

Mumei

"As the rhetoric of the American presidential campaign of 2016 made clear, we also may soon confront a world in which the United States itself chooses not to act effectively on the world stage. In a return to its inward-looking posture of the pre-World War II era, the United States could choose to walk away from the principles and practices that have kept it safe ever since that war. If the United States does make a fateful choice to abandon the alliances it helped create and to try to build walls against the international economy, those who make that choice and those who support it will carry the blame, first and foremost, for what we believe will be violent disordering that will almost certainly follow.

At least a portion of that blame, though, will fall on those who have forgotten that the essential purpose of statecraft is to avoid war, not to promote it. As it will to those who have complained to our European allies about their failure to spend enough on their own defense while at the same time failing to explain clearly to the American public about the stake we have in the democratic character of Europe. As it will to those who neglected the lessons that the political character of our allies and friends matters, instead tying us to thugs and dictators and making it harder to convince the American public of the purpose of the alliance structure. As it will to economic planners who forgot in the pursuit of growth that economic strategy should first and foremost reinforce democracy—in this country above all. And as it will to those who forgot that American power inherently inspires both awe and fear, making the binding of U.S. power to a rules-based architecture a crucial reassurance to a world that can be frightened by American power. In short, a share of responsibility will fall on those of us who focus on the strategic and tactical aspects of foreign policy and international economics, while failing to prevent the erosion of understanding in the United States about the merits of the current international system or the need to adapt it more profoundly to contemporary circumstances."​

Well put.

Got $3 from Google to use on a book. Decided now that I'm 2/3 of the way through Abercrombie's Half a World and really enjoying it to go ahead and pick up Half a War, the final book in the trilogy.

Given I need to take another business trip in a week and a half, I'll be knocking out #2 and starting on #3.

And writing about 1000 words on the plane there and back again.

I have not, just the Stormlight Archives books (which I also highly recommend) and the Mistborn series. I'll probably check them out at some point because I've enjoyed everything else by him.
Ok thanks. I eyed up Stormlight but I have like 800 books in my backlog so those will have to be a bit further down the line -_-;

MilkBeard

Almost finished with Resurrection by Tolstoy. It's a great book, and the way he describes the condition of the people and the government system in Russia in that time is moving.

For when I finish, I picked up Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot for some short reading as a palate cleanser for the next long book.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
23307179.jpg

This book is so good it makes me want to learn chess even though i would probably suck at it.

One of my all time favorites. Doesn't get enough love in my opinion
I think I'll check this one out. Used to play chess like crazy with my younger brother and cousin when I was little.

A third of the way through The New York Trilogy.
I kind of liked it overall, there was a sensation of bizarre nature to it that I really enjoyed overall. Liked the little perspective shift at the end as well. Finished The city of Glass.

It's a little last-second, but I noticed that one of my favourite novels of all time, Brave New World, is on sale on Kindle for ~$3. It, along with 1984 and Fahrenheit 451, really got me into dystopias and made it my favourite sub-genre.

The Gunslinger

I'm half way through. It's really cute, so far.

Are we talking about the Dark Tower novel? If so, I really enjoyed it too. It's a good intro to the series, although King really comes into his own in the following two novels. You can see him grow as a writer, and The Drawing of the Three is my favourite in the series so far. I stopped reading halfway through Wolves of the Calla though. I really need to get back to it. So much to read!

fakefaker

Gladly finished off Hunger Makes the Wolf by Alex Wells as it wasn't very good and unfortunately, pretty soulless. The next book i'm going to go with is The Mirror’s Truth by Michael R. Fletcher, which won a Stabby award for best indy/self published book for 2016, so hopefully it's pretty good.

33138404.jpg

The JT

Neo Member
Finally finish the Count of Monte Cristo. Wow,
Poor Villefort, didn't deserve the punishment he receive, after all Edmond Dantes was unknowingly a Bonapartist agent.

Ultryx

The Lost World, by Michael Crichton. Just finished up Jurassic Park about a week prior. I've been enjoying both of these books very much.

Finished Lincoln In The Bardo. I LOVE Saunders, but I struggled with this one, short as it is.

Didn't want to read anything heavy, so I'm digging into this:

51Pnu68TSHL.jpg

There's A LOT of weird stuff in this world, for sure...

Hm. That's probably not the word I would use to describe the events in that book but OK lol

I agree, that's why I searched Amazon quickly to see if there was another "The Gunslinger" that was being talked about.

I mean, I think the Dark Tower series is a unique blend of fantasy, sci-fi and western, so maybe it's "cute" in that way? I dunno. XD

Any recommendations for a book with characters I could really connect to, or stuff that coulf help me motivate myself to pick up the broken shards of my life I have innecessantly shattered?

I just want something to truly stay with me. Preference for sci-fi and contemporary urban settings.

Thanks.

Edit: Maybe I just need another dose of Murakami...

geestack

currently reading six four
29875918.jpg

it's very procedural and detail-heavy with several japanese names and locations, but i'm really addicted. 650 pages!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Any recommendations for a book with characters I could really connect to, or stuff that coulf help me motivate myself to pick up the broken shards of my life I have innecessantly shattered?

I just want something to truly stay with me. Preference for sci-fi and contemporary urban settings.

Thanks.
I think Miles Vorkosigan is a good series for that if you're looking for a series. If you're looking for a one-off, try Stories of your Life and Others by Ted Chiang.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is also good for tackling that pre-midlife crisis feeling.

Thanks.

Edit: Maybe I just need another dose of Murakami...

I really enjoy Murakami, but I don't think he'd necessarily be the right choice in this situation.

Personally, I really enjoyed Tuesdays With Morrie. It's a little sad, but very emotional and inspirational at the same time. I think Albom gets preachy in his other novels, but TWM is great.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I think Miles Vorkosigan is a good series for that if you're looking for a series. If you're looking for a one-off, try Stories of your Life and Others by Ted Chiang.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is also good for tackling that pre-midlife crisis feeling.

Seconding the Vorkosigan books.

JonnyKong

I finished this after taking a break from it to binge Zelda.

l7MpCrX.jpg

I absolutely loved it, I'd seriously consider putting it in my top 5 all time favourite books.

Number45

Finished Only the Truth. It was OK, a decent story with a predictable twist. Nothing really felt finished about any of the key characters, so it didn't particularly draw me into the suspense.

On to The Halo Effect, which I also know nothing about. Thanks, Kindle First!

Ultryx

It saddens me to admit I only found out there were books of these fairly recently -_-;

I'm a big fan of Jurassic Park and The Lost World (movies) and I can say that the books are different enough from the films to keep my interest. I was concerned they might just be repeats and I'd get bored. I'm really enjoying them though. Since you found out about them you should read them! They can be had at used book stores for a very good price!

lawnchair

Banned
220px-Yskov.jpg

just finished this, it's in my all time top 25. recommended.

now starting this .... haven't read these since i was a teenager.

DarkForce_Rising.jpg

Mumei

I've just finished reading War by Other Means: Geoeconomics and Statecraft. It is incredibly depressing reading, especially now that I've finished the policy recommendations chapter. "The president must speak to geoeconomic policy"? "Funds should be shifted from the Pentagon to be used to promote U.S. national interests through geoeconomic instruments"? "Pass TPP Round 1"? "Conclude the TTIP agreement with America's European allies"? "Construct a geoeconomic policy to deal with China over the long term"? "Make geoeconomic investments in India's emergence as a Pacific power"? "Construct a geoeconomic policy to deal with Russia over the long term"? "Meet the test of climate change"? "Blunt the threat of state-sponsored geoeconomic cyberattacks"? "If America is going to be effective at exploiting its geoeconomic potential, it needs the right signals and bureaucratic structures in place, many of which can only come from the White House"?

And that's not even half of them. I'm sure the authors are thrilled about our current direction.

Seconding the Vorkosigan books.

You, mister, haven't even gotten to the best stuff!

Going to start Reza Aslan's Jeebus

Interested in your thoughts. I found it a little disengaging.

<3

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Here's a longwinded but good essay about the "New Weird", which was a movement/genre/gimmick that popped up in the 00s. It talks about Mieville, VandarMeer, Reynolds and M. John Harrison, and is especially interesting for recounting a longwinded thread back in '04 where many then-contemporary sci-fi/fantasy authors talk about what the New Weird is.

Later on it segues into a discussion about the shift in genre culture (that is, the subset of readers/viewers who no longer view sci-fi and fantasy as separate things) and the erosion of genre boundaries.

Nymerio

Haven't posted in a while and I haven't been getting a lot of reading done recently. I finished the latest Vorkosigan Book Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen. I guess it was OK-ish? Probably the weakest of the Vorkosigan Books, just couldn't really get into it. Not that it was bad, just not what I was expecting. I've now started Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. I'm about 20% in and this one I actually really enjoy.

11286.jpg

Cade

Here's a longwinded but good essay about the "New Weird", which was a movement/genre/gimmick that popped up in the 00s. It talks about Mieville, VandarMeer, Reynolds and M. John Harrison, and is especially interesting for recounting a longwinded thread back in '04 where many then-contemporary sci-fi/fantasy authors talk about what the New Weird is.

Later on it segues into a discussion about the shift in genre culture (that is, the subset of readers/viewers who no longer view sci-fi and fantasy as separate things) and the erosion of genre boundaries.

This was incredible, thanks for posting. I'm reading my first Miéville (Embassytown) at the moment, and it's interesting to see authors I recognize just being passive aggressive and shit-talk the industry and genre conventions from 13 years ago.

I'm a big fan of Jurassic Park and The Lost World (movies) and I can say that the books are different enough from the films to keep my interest. I was concerned they might just be repeats and I'd get bored. I'm really enjoying them though. Since you found out about them you should read them! They can be had at used book stores for a very good price!
Noted! I will keep an eye on them. I primarily use my kindle for reading nowdays but I shall add them on my wish list for sure thanks.

Sillverrr

Jurassic Park is a lot more consistent than the film. For example, it actually remembers there were other people on the island other than the main characters. The film conveniently has the staff ''disappear'', lol. Great book; read it after the film too.

I'm trying to read Malice, the first part of John Gwynne's Faithful and the Fallen series. It's... alright. Fairly generic fantasy so far. My main disappointment at the 60% mark is that the characterisation is poor. Not a lot of depth to any of the main cast. However, I am intrigued by some of the mysteries and it's easy to read at least. I'm resolved to finish this book, as I've not been having a lot of luck lately with my choices.

Finally settled on the second Takeshi Kovacs novel by Richard Morgan - Broken Angels.

I forgot how... explicit the sex scenes were haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom