• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2012)

Jarlaxle

12327782.jpg

Just started this after finishing The Lies of Locke Lamora. I liked that book but I definitely think it has issues. I think the book could use some trimming. Could probably cut 100 pages or so.
I also think Locke really tended to luck into almost every solution. He kind of seemed especially inept for someone who was supposed to be a masterminded theif. The book really took off when he was betrayed by the Grey King. If the second book can keep pace with the latter section of the first book I'll be pretty happy.

xBigDanx

12327782.jpg

Just started this after finishing The Lies of Locke Lamora. I liked that book but I definitely think it has issues. I think the book could use some trimming. Could probably cut 100 pages or so.
I also think Locke really tended to luck into almost every solution. He kind of seemed especially inept for someone who was supposed to be a masterminded theif. The book really took off when he was betrayed by the Grey King. If the second book can keep pace with the latter section of the first book I'll be pretty happy.

I definitely liked The Lies of Locke Lamora better than Red Seas Under Red Skies. Both are great books but I felt the first was something different than the norm and the 2nd was just trying to repeat a lot of what the first one accomplished.

Arment

12327782.jpg

That book has one of the most sudden plot shifts ever. I still liked it though. Book 1 was definitely stronger, and I think that has a lot to do with said plot shift.

The scene where
they're rappelling across on ropes and that thief comes along and threatens to cut the ropes
was pretty great.

Apparently the writer has/had severe depression and wrote the book around that time. I wonder if that has anything to do with
Locke being down on his luck so much.

xBigDanx

Apparently the writer has/had severe depression and wrote the book around that time. I wonder if that has anything to do with
Locke being down on his luck so much.

I think I read somewhere that this is the reason why book 3 has not come out yet. He's been unable to finish due to his depression. (Though I might be completely wrong about that)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
How awesome is this awesome book?

SO AWESOME.

His novel Never Let Me Go is also incredible, I'm not sure which one I like more. The Unconsoled isn't all that great, I didn't bother finishing it. Nocturnes is on my "to read" list.

Quoting myself to say I also remembered that I read A Pale View of the Hills. It was decent but terribly forgettable.

peakish

I picked up The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoët by David Mitchell, about halfway through now. It's good, but really depressing right now, especially with
a drug induced brain washing going on.
My stomach handles stuff like that poorly -_- Looking forward to seeing what will happen next anyway.

How awesome is this awesome book?

SO AWESOME.

His novel Never Let Me Go is also incredible, I'm not sure which one I like more. The Unconsoled isn't all that great, I didn't bother finishing it. Nocturnes is on my "to read" list.
I liked Nocturnes a lot, at first mostly because the short stories are quite nice by themselves, but in the end they formed around their common theme really well. I'll definitely get The Remains of the Day later on.

thomaser

The Nobel Prize for literature was awarded today, to the Chinese author Mo Yan.

FS00049104.jpg

Can't say I have ever heard about him, but he's a big deal in China. His style is described as "blending traditions from Chinese literature with his own fantasy world", and "a successful mix of fairytales and contemporaneity, joining magical realism with impulses from Faulkner and G. G. Marquez". Some of his better known books are "Big Breasts and Wide Hips" and "Red Sorghum". Has anyone here read anything by him?

Koroviev

FS00049104.jpg

Can't say I have ever heard about him, but he's a big deal in China. His style is described as "blending traditions from Chinese literature with his own fantasy world", and "a successful mix of fairytales and contemporaneity, joining magical realism with impulses from Faulkner and G. G. Marquez". Some of his better known books are "Big Breasts and Wide Hips" and "Red Sorghum". Has anyone here read anything by him?

No, but "Big Breasts and Wide Hips" officially has top priority on my reading list.

175px-TheShadowOfTheWind.jpg

I think never read a book as slowly as this one before.

It was on my buying list for years, but I wasn't until last year that I finally got it when the sister of mine gifted the book to me as a Christmas present.

It was apparent to me from the atmosphere that's by just conveyed by just looking at the book, that Shadow of the Wind is not a read you want to rush through. I knew I'd need to store it for a special ocassion.

So, it wasn't until four ago that I started to carrying the book with me everywhere I went. When I finally started not to only carry but also read the book two to three months ago, I was captured from the very first page and it didn't take more than a few pages until I've fallen in love with Zafón's Barcelona.

I wanted to devour every single word of it, but at the same time I regretted every turned page knowing that the end comes irrevocably closer with every word I read.

Today, at about 4am, I finally reached the last page and the longer I read the more I felt that Julián's and Daniel's story is not only theirs, but also mine. I can truly say that I've not often enjoyed a book so thoroughly. The Shadow of the Wind might be my new favorite.

I loved this book as hell. It was genius IMO. But don't even try the "prequel" :( it's pretty bad.

Troll

Banned
Yukio Mishima's short story "Patriotism" is sufficiently grotesque. "The Road" is effectively one of the most well-written zombie apocalypse novels.

I really didn't care for The Road and I am looking for something more creepy than grotesque. I just finished Hellbound Heart and it wasn't bad. No thanks on the short story right not at least, I am looking for a novel to put my time into.

Karakand

FS00049104.jpg

He beat out Murakami? Cool.

Hand copied a speech of Mao's for its 70th anniversary? Even cooler.

jns

I really didn't care for The Road and I am looking for something more creepy than grotesque. I just finished Hellbound Heart and it wasn't bad. No thanks on the short story right not at least, I am looking for a novel to put my time into.

Without knowing your tastes I'm going to recommend The Grin of the Dark by Ramsey Campbell. Amazon link

When I first started the book, I found the perspective off-putting, but the further I got, the more involved I found myself. I don't want to say too much about the story because i think it's worth going in blind. It not a traditional horror, nor is it like anything else I've read by Campbell, but a day after I had finished it, it became my favorite story of his.

[edit] I should have said that I think it fits the definition of creepy down to a tee. Hopefully some other Gaffers have read the book and back me up!

He beat out Murakami? Cool.

Hand copied a speech of Mao's for its 70th anniversary? Even cooler.

I don't see Murakami becoming a Nobel laureate any time soon, however misguided the betting agencies may be.

Of the 'big' English-language literary authors about, Cormac McCarthy should be a dead certainty after The Road and given he's nearly 80 now. And Alice Munro is over 80, as is Chinua Achebe.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
while impatiently waiting for the new harry dresden novel, I'm reading 'side jobs' which is short stories set in the dresden universe.

I have a real softspot for the dresden files. love em all.

I see there are new books this month from

Joe Abercrombie
Scott Lynch

and the sequel to 'The passage' by justin cronin.

Looks like a busy reading month ahead for me!

New Scott Lynch is next year, probably late 2013. The old publication date is doing the rounds but he's still revising, yet to hand in a final draft. It's okay - I thought the Jay Electronica album was dropping this year too.

Red Country is definitely next week though. Early reviews say it's as well-written as The Heroes. It's nice to watch Abercrombie improve his craft with each novel.

Otherwise, I'm currently reading Chabon's Telegraph Avenue. His prose is always enjoyable, but I feel like skipping over to something less breezy for some reason. I have my eye on MJH's Nova Swing and Adichie's The Thing Around Your Neck to read next.

Ratrat

12327782.jpg

In spite enjoying the first book this one was just shit. Locke is a pretty lame character who was only interesting as a child. None of the schemes are smart or much different from the first book and the one interesting plot thread from the first book was completely ignored.

Jarnet87

I am reading the Harold Potter books. I didn't give them a chance when I was younger and stopped the reading the first one after chapter 3 or so lol. The books are great and can be read through very quickly.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I need a scary book suggestion. No king please.

While I personally didn't like it all that much House of Leaves seems pretty popular both here and to my friends in real life. Definitely falls on the creepy side and not the grotesque side.

CiSTM

Banned
I don't see Murakami becoming a Nobel laureate any time soon, however misguided the betting agencies may be.

Of the 'big' English-language literary authors about, Cormac McCarthy should be a dead certainty after The Road and given he's nearly 80 now. And Alice Munro is over 80, as is Chinua Achebe.
I don't see Murakami becoming nobel laureate ever. Cormac has a shot but there are even many american authors in front of him. Same goes for older northern european authors. In the end I guess it's useless trying to guess who is going to win since there hasn't been many good predictions on winners by any authority. I don't really see how Murakami has managed to become "the shoe in" for Nobel. Don't get me wrong, I like his books but they aren't your typical nobel material.

Edit. Not to mention not all great authors get the prize. Vladimir Nabokov never got one!

Jarlaxle

While I personally didn't like it all that much House of Leaves seems pretty popular both here and to my friends in real life. Definitely falls on the creepy side and not the grotesque side.

This is exactly the book I was going to post for the reccomendation. Seems to be exactly what he's looking for. I for my part, really enjoyed it even though I do recognize the Navidson Records sections as being vastly superior.

Any recommendations for some really great fantasy on Kindle? Preferrably similar to ASOIAF?

BONUS: Autumn setting

Have you read any Abercrombie? His stuff is the first that comes to mind in being similar to Martin for me. I haven't read a ton in the genre though.

Decided to pick up my Kindle for the first time this year in an attempt to get back into reading regularly. It's been a while since I've picked up something that I was able to stick with.

Went to the my unread list and chose the top book - The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.

Surprisingly enough, it's totally sticking. The characters are by far the strongest aspect of the book. Very interesting POV characters, all with flaws who can be real scumbags in certain situations. The only negative I can think of at the moment is that the world feels slightly...underdeveloped. Like I'm just not getting a strong sense of what this world is like, where certain things and places are, the history of how the society in the book came to be, etc.

Some people are going to roll their eyes at this, but I honestly think the feeling stems from reading A Song of Ice and Fire recently. Not that I'm at all suggesting that ASOIF is the first fantasy series to have a strong setting nor am I suggesting that it's the absolute best, but I just finished Dance With Dragons late last year so it's fresh on my mind. Reading those books, it just feels like Martin has everything single aspect of that universe covered. You learn an obscene amount about what feels like every person and ever place in that world. You also get an incredible amount of history and lore that happened before the books. Sometimes hundreds of years before the books. It really helps bring it all to life.

It's probably an unfair comparison because The Blade Itself seems to simply have a smaller scope than ASOIF, and that's totally fine. Not everything has to be ASOIF. But I guess I'm just really into that epic scale. With The Blade Itself, I feel like I'm missing something in regards to the setting.

Still a very good read so far, though. And to be fair, it's the first book of a trilogy, so I'm sure things will become more fleshed out as the series goes on.

I'm 20% in to The Blade Itself and I'm loving it. Really grabs the attention from the get go. I have that fantastic feeling of "I can't wait to pick up my Kindle and read some more" that I only get with the most riveting of novels.

Koroviev

I don't see Murakami becoming nobel laureate ever. Cormac has a shot but there are even many american authors in front of him. Same goes for older northern european authors. In the end I guess it's useless trying to guess who is going to win since there hasn't been many good predictions on winners by any authority. I don't really see how Murakami has managed to become "the shoe in" for Nobel. Don't get me wrong, I like his books but they aren't your typical nobel material.

Edit. Not to mention not all great authors get the prize. Vladimir Nabokov never got one!

That Nabokov never received one is mind-blowing. Wow.

thomaser

That Nabokov never received one is mind-blowing. Wow.

There are probably a hundred worthy nominees at any time, so it's not that strange that some shoe-ins don't get the prize.

I wonder if Pynchon will ever get it, by the way. Probably not, since he won't show up for the festivities and speeches. Murakami is my favourite author, but I doubt he'll get it... his works are fascinating, but perhaps not important.

AAequal

Banned
There are probably a hundred worthy nominees at any time, so it's not that strange that some shoe-ins don't get the prize.

I wonder if Pynchon will ever get it, by the way. Probably not, since he won't show up for the festivities and speeches. Murakami is my favourite author, but I doubt he'll get it... his works are fascinating, but perhaps not important.
For me Murakami belongs in the category of great story tellers. There isn't much beyond the surface but he is still great read.

Koroviev

Yeah, as much as I love Murakami, I don't see him ever receiving the Nobel. Too many pop culture references.

Ceebs

So I picked up a book for the first time based on the About The Author on the back of the book.

Gregory David Roberts was born in Melbourne, Australia. A gifted writer and student, he became addicted to heroin when his marriage collapsed and he lost the custody of his daughter. When he committed a series of robberies with an imitation pistol, he was described as the Gentleman Bandit. Sentenced to nineteen years in prison, he escaped and journeyed to New Zealand, Asia, Africa, and Europe. For ten of those fugitive years he lived in Bombay-where he established a free medical clinic for slum-dwellers, and worked as a counterfeiter, smuggler, gunrunner, and street soldier for a branch of the Bombay mafia. Recaptured in Germany, he served out his sentence there and in Australian prisons. Upon his release, he established a successful multimedia company, and since the international publication of Shantaram, he is a full-time writer, at home in several countries.

tumblr_l6v1chi8mR1qai68b.jpg

Koroviev

So I picked up a book for the first time based on the About The Author on the back of the book.

tumblr_l6v1chi8mR1qai68b.jpg

Oh, wow. I heard of this book years ago, but knew nothing of its author. This is next on my reading list, right after "Big Breasts and Wide Hips."

ultron87

Put a pause on The Blinding Knife.

Starting up The Hydrogen Sonata.

y94pf.jpg

Not very far into it so far, but the subject matter, a civilization about to Sublime, seems really interesting.

Fjordson

I'm 20% in to The Blade Itself and I'm loving it. Really grabs the attention from the get go. I have that fantastic feeling of "I can't wait to pick up my Kindle and read some more" that I only get with the most riveting of novels.
Very nice. Yeah, I'm up to about 60% now and am really loving it.

I think the pace of the novel is great. Like his chapter lengths aren't too short, but they aren't too long either. Just the right amount where I'm constantly saying "okay, fine, one more chapter" at the end of the night when reading in bed. Definitely a page turner.

Realyn

First book of The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind and so far I hate it. His way of writing is so ... old and full of stereotypes it's not even funny.

Halfway through and I'm done. Seriously one of the worst books I've read in quite a while.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

FS00049104.jpg

Has anyone here read anything by him?

I was looking at the list of winners yesterday. I had to go back to 1993 to find any author I had read. (Toni morrison)

Ooohhhh one of my favorite PA fiction authors, Octavia Butler, has a book as a Kindle Daily Deal today

Dawn (Book 1 of the Xenogenesis Trilogy) = $1.99

Dawn by Octavia E. Butler

Oh and even if you're not interested in this but you like post apocalypse stuff, I highly encourage you to read the Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents books

Very nice. Yeah, I'm up to about 60% now and am really loving it.

I think the pace of the novel is great. Like his chapter lengths aren't too short, but they aren't too long either. Just the right amount where I'm constantly saying "okay, fine, one more chapter" at the end of the night when reading in bed. Definitely a page turner.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that thinks this way. I hate ending my reading session in the middle of text. I always try to make it to the end of a chapter.

Ooohhhh one of my favorite PA fiction authors, Octavia Butler, has a book as a Kindle Daily Deal today.

Thanks for sharing. I bought it and it sounds interesting.

I'm hovering between books. I finished Bell Jar, two thumbs way up. I've been trying the Humble eBook Bundle books. The graphic novel was excellent. Pump Six is pretty good (Wind-Up Girl by the same author is also catching my eye - already own it, apparently). Cory Doctorow is an alright writer, but even when I agree with him I still feel like I'm being beat over the head with a brick over and over again.

So until I find what sticks I'm back into Clash of Swords, which is still pretty damn good, but I want to take my time through the SOIAF series so I'm not pining for new books like the rest of you Martin fan fools.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm trying to get through The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest but it's slow going. I like the characters, I like the overall story, but the writing is so atrocious. It's also gotten painfully slow. I'm sure a lot was lost in translation, but it's written so poorly there are times I have to laugh out loud. She walked down the street and saw a cafe. She went into the cafe and ordered a coke. She drank the coke and watched the people on the street. She got up and left and walked down the street. She came to her house and went inside. She ate some pizza and slept for 10 hours. It's like a 12 year wrote the fucking thing. At this point I would have quit reading long ago if I wasn't invested in finding out how it ends.

I have had hyperion loaded up and reading to go on the kindle for a year now as well. I'm on vacation for the next week so maybe ill start it soon.

Also bought Shantaram, I'm excited for that.

Top Bottom