• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2010)

Coldsnap

Kilgore Trout said:
I read this and enjoyed it.
The interview with Adelstein on Fresh Air was pretty good as well. That's how I found out about it.

I'm going to have to seek it out. I saw Tokyo Vice in a previous what are you reading thread and decided to check it out, glad I did.

Eteric Rice said:
256e689.jpg

Been reading this, pretty interesting so far. I've already lost 5 pounds following it.

Good for you, as an athlete that book changed my life. Robb Wolfs book just came out, you should check that out after reading Primal Bluepring. That guy is a wizard.

X-Frame said:
What did you think of this? It got great reviews on Amazon and I already have it queued up on my books-to-read list but just wondering if I should bump it up to my next one.

Whoa, completely missed this post the first time around.

Regarding the book, I thought it was a decent opening to a trilogy. The magic system this time is different as to be expected, but still interesting. I am kind of irked by the young protagonist though, who suffers from "I'm young, weak, and annoying now but with time and training I'll be awesome later on" syndrome. Plus, his worldbuilding is a little weak, but I thought the same about his first series as well.

Regardless, I enjoyed the book quite a bit, and if you liked his earlier trilogy, you should tear into this one as well. Also, it's pretty hefty at 640 pages (hardcover).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
11imr74.jpg

Quarter of the way through this. Really liking it, as I've liked all of Gibson's novels.

Timber

just finished Hesse's Demian. having read three of his books now he is beginning to tire me a bit. perhaps this is a fault of the translations, but his prose can be so unadventurous; it doesn't complement the spiritual tone of his stories at all.

tomorrow i will start reading Norman Mailer's The Naked and the Dead

hamchan

I just finished:

51QWwGRXouL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-15,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I wasn't blown away by it. I felt like parts of the story dragged on a bit. Overall though it was good and definitely worth a read. I'll start reading the other two books in the trilogy eventually.

I just started:

wizard-and-glass.jpg

The last 3 books have been good but my main fear is that the series won't be satisfying in the end.

Also,

51LhmAOvbOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Halo Reach just came out yo.

thomaser

Yeeeaaah, finally finished Infinite Jest. What a ride. Now, to search the net for analyses so I can hopefully make sense of some of the things that didn't. Make sense.

Next up: The Lady from the Sea, by Henrik Ibsen. After that, "The Arabian Nights", half of the complete, original texts, translated by Hussain Haddawy.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just finished 'Isdalskvinnen - Operasjon Isotopsy' (The Isdalen Woman - Operation Isotopsy) by Tore Osland yesterday. It was OK, a novel based on a factual story about an unidentified woman that was found dead in Isdalen outside Bergen in 1970, rumoured to be a Soviet spy that was executed by intelligence services, possibly the KGB. It was OK, although rather poorly written. Interesting story nonetheless.

Also finished 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow' by Washington Irving yesterday. It was OK I guess, although the Depp/Burton movie adaption is way better than the original short story IMO.

Currently reading Leif G.W. Persson's 'En Annan Tid, Ett Annat Liv' ('Another Time, Another Life'). Good so far.

hamchan said:
I just started:

wizard-and-glass.jpg

The last 3 books have been good but my main fear is that the series won't be satisfying in the end.

Probably won't be satisfying, but it's always wise to keep expectations in check anyway and be open-minded. I really enjoyed the last 3 books, and loved the ending. Plenty hate what King did though, so enjoy the ride.

Dresden

So I recently tried reading Ken Scholes' Lamentation, and it just didn't click with me. Got about sixty pages in before I gave up. Nothing about it seemed bad, although the flurry of exotic names and the constant shifting of perspectives got tiring.

Ended up re-reading Lion's Blood, by Steven Barnes, along with its sequel, Zulu Heart. Really the best alternate history novels I've ever read, with such fantastic endings. One of my favorite novels of all time.

I'll be starting War Music over the weekend, when I have time. Hope it's good.

Dresden said:
So I recently tried reading Ken Scholes' Lamentation, and it just didn't click with me. Got about sixty pages in before I gave up. Nothing about it seemed bad, although the flurry of exotic names and the constant shifting of perspectives got tiring.

Agreed, except it got tiring after the first four pages of continuous shifting perspectives and gushing use of capitalization to portray how very important everything and everyone was.

FnordChan

thomaser said:
Yeeeaaah, finally finished Infinite Jest. What a ride. Now, to search the net for analyses so I can hopefully make sense of some of the things that didn't. Make sense.

Congrats on finishing up Infinite Jest! For analysis, I'd recommend this guy's musing and insights followed by the full on plot analysis someone worked out.

Here are a few more novels I read recently, but was too lazy to post about in the reading threads at the time:

51Y8D60vJEL.jpg

As part of my weakness for cheesy men's adventure fiction, I picked up the first volume of the Executioner series, War Against The Mafia. This is the book that introduced Mack Bolan, the Vietnam sniper turned vigilante who takes revenge against the mob for killing his family. That's not a spoiler so much as it's the opening chapter and the lead-off for 376 books and counting. I don't think I'll be reading all of them, mind you, but I certainly enjoyed the first book in the series. Mack Bolan is kinda like a fun loving version of the Punisher, who enjoys shacking up with Mafia women and cracking wise here and there as a change of pace between killing mob members left and right. It was a hoot and an incredibly fast read. I'm hoping to pick up a few more volumes today.

51K6Y266IcL.jpg

Next up was Friday by Robert Heinlein, a book I've been meaning to read ever since I first oggled the cover of a friend's copy in middle school. I somehow missed it when I read a lot of dirty-old-man Heinlein in high school so, inspired by someone's avatar around here, I snagged a used copy recently and tore through it in short order. It's about an artifical human named Friday who works as a courier for a mysterious Boss in the not too distant future. When she's cut off from her home base she undergoes a series of adventures in a sort of coming of age story. In true Heinlein fashion, a lot of this involves sex of one sort or another, with Friday's opinions on the subject being, shall we say, extremely relaxed. As far as late period Heinlein goes, this is a pretty great read; the man could make the phone book a page turner, so when he's dealing with a superhuman navigating various emergencies across the planet, it makes for a good time. It's also put me in the mood to read some more later Heinlein novels I've missed, and I'm hoping to score a copy of Job: A Comedy of Justice or The Door Into Summer today as well.

51TjFfmhJKL.jpg

The last book I finished was Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, a novel about a Ministry for State Security officer in the Stalinist era Soviet Union who tracks down a serial killer. The catch here is that the State officially has no crime and anyone who would suggest such a thing is probably an enemy of the state. Cue paranoia, exile, and all the totalitarian oppression you can stand. I went into this expecting something more along the lines of Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko novels, but where Renko has a black sense of humor about life in the late Soviet era, things in Child 44 are mostly non-stop grim, grim, grim. Then you throw in serial child murder and, yeah, it's not what you would call a happy read. Also, the way dialogue is written in the book is odd. Here's a sample:

- Why am I talking in italics and with a dash before my dialogue instead of quotations?
- Beats the hell out of me.

You get used to this pretty quickly but, like I said, odd. Overall I enjoyed the book but I didn't completely love it. I might read the follow-up novel The Secret Speech at some point, but probably not anytime soon.

FnordChan

ngower

Some essays from Wendell Berry, Karl Marx, Martin Heidegger, and soon to be reading Civilization And Its Discontents by Freud. Read Peace is Every Step by Thich Naht Hanh and just about finished with Pema Chodron's Practicing Peace In Times of War. All school reading...

Should start some MLK essays and the book by Marshall Frady on him soon.

I was looking for some dumb fun so I picked up "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Wow, he really thinks his readers are idiots. "Hey, let's remind everyone what happened 2 chapters ago, even though it's only been 5 pages!" Oh man. And the characters are horribly written - the gruff/anxious CIA person who, thus far, is probably being written that way just to surprise everyone when it turns out she actually isn't in on the plot.

eznark

Banned
allegate said:
I was looking for some dumb fun so I picked up "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Wow, he really thinks his readers are idiots. "Hey, let's remind everyone what happened 2 chapters ago, even though it's only been 5 pages!" Oh man. And the characters are horribly written - the gruff/anxious CIA person who, thus far, is probably being written that way just to surprise everyone when it turns out she actually isn't in on the plot.

Know who else does that? GAF's favorite author.

Dresden

Tim the Wiz said:
Agreed, except it got tiring after the first four pages of continuous shifting perspectives and gushing use of capitalization to portray how very important everything and everyone was.
I thought he just wanted to get everyone introduced, hence all the POVs in the first chapter.

Then he just kept piling them on and on and on~

Finished reading on the way in to work:

Enjoyed it and the aftermath was interesting but not really related to the book. Maybe it's a set up for the next book? There was a lot of political drama, which I suppose is what makes it a Space Opera? I think this is the first Space Opera book I've read.

Next, I'm going to read:

I don't know much about it other than it's a collection of short stories and it has AN AWESOME COVER.

Funny, I expected Shards of Honor to have some sort of cliffhanger that would make me immediately want to pick up Barrayar, but it didn't. I was pretty satisfied with how it ended. Will probably read Barrayar after Chiang's book though.

Nymerio

Finished

51aLMdFaW1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

and

41VfGd1TaOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm either continuing on to "The Long Ships" or the new Sanderson, "The Way of Kings". Haven't decided yet...

Man, now I wish I hadn't searched for posts related to Mockingjay. I'll be starting it soon as I really enjoyed the first two books (read the second one in one day) but now I'm apprehensive about this one.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just finished this:

7334201.jpg

Wow. I read and liked Shteyngart's earlier Absurdistan but was in no way prepared for this.

It's a terrifying, devastating look at a future brought on by our current smartphone-saturated, prestige-obsessed culture. In Shteyngart's future, books are smelly ugly things that are to be avoided, and man is defined (literally) by his credit rating. The United States has fallen prey to China which has come collecting its debts. Shteyngart is a funny writer, but most of this just hurts.

Nothing about his vision is subtle. It's an impassioned, deeply angry work. And the titular love story? Heartbreaking.

Read it.

Dresden

Mifune said:
Just finished this:

7334201.jpg

Wow. I read and liked Shteyngart's earlier Absurdistan but was in no way prepared for this.

It's a terrifying, devastating look at a future brought on by our current smartphone-saturated, prestige-obsessed culture. In Shteyngart's future, books are smelly ugly things that are to be avoided, and man is defined (literally) by his credit rating. The United States has fallen prey to China which has come collecting its debts. Shteyngart is a funny writer, but most of this just hurts.

Nothing about his vision is subtle. It's an impassioned, deeply angry work. And the titular love story? Heartbreaking.

Read it.
Whoa, I didn't know this existed. :lol I really loved Absurdistan, I'm going to have to check this out.

Salazar

Jingo by Terry Pratchett.
Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian.
Zugzwang by Ronan Bennett.
An English Education: A Perspective of Eton by Richard Ollard.

The Ollard book is magnificent. Frightening in places, as when he describes the kicking to death of the son of one of the Lords Shaftesbury, in the early 19th century. It was a fight between two schoolboys that lasted two hours. A massive audience gathered and nobody intervened. The father of the killed child did not press any charges - and was widely applauded for not doing so.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
41mK8ynIqbL._SL500_.jpg

Just finished reading this last night. Not quite as great as its predecessor, We All Fall Down, but it was still a fantastic read.

I think I'm going to start reading Lord of the Flies tonight, or maybe Oedipus.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Mifune said:
Just finished this:

7334201.jpg

Read it.
That sounds like something I'd like. Wishlisted.

Can anyone give me any recommendations here? I'm looking for a good, sort of introductory book to stuff like theoretical physics, astrophysics, etc, preferably not too old, and not too textbooky. I was considering A Briefer History of Time, but I was wondering if there's anything better. A more focused subject than just "astrophysics" would be fine....black holes, parallel universes, crazy theories about the origin/nature of the universe, any kind of nutty shit like that.

FnordChan

BenjaminBirdie said:
I hope those were the actual copies you read.

They were, indeed! I picked up a few more volumes of The Executioner today (including #2 - Death Squad) and they all have tremendous covers. I also picked up the latest issue of Illustration Magazine which I hope you either read or at least flip through.

nakedsushi said:
Funny, I expected Shards of Honor to have some sort of cliffhanger that would make me immediately want to pick up Barrayar, but it didn't. I was pretty satisfied with how it ended.

Shards of Honor was Bujold's first published work and was written entirely as a stand alone novel. While Barrayar comes next in continuity, it wasn't written until five years later. By the way, I second Cyan: you should absolutely read Barrayar next, but it's hard to argue with Ted Chiang's latest.

FnordChan

Salazar

Dresden said:
I'll be starting War Music over the weekend, when I have time. Hope it's good.

Ye of minuscule faith. It is better than good.

I thought Simon Armitage's reworking of the Odyssey (a radio play, printed and readable as a kind of verse dialogue) was a remarkable thing - and it is that - but Logue did something deeply admirable in his series. I was so enthusiastic that I lent my copies, and I have yet to get them back.

Sometimes, I love Baen, especially when I become aware of another crazy/cool facet of their online business model. They actually have the ARC copy of CryoBurn (Vorkosigan #19) by Bujold up for purchase as an ebook. Now, what's a few typos between friends?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Picked up a nice, new looking used hardcopy of The Fabric of the Cosmos by Greene earlier tonight. Looking forward to starting it tomorrow.

OPeyE.jpg

demon said:
Can anyone give me any recommendations here? I'm looking for a good, sort of introductory book to stuff like theoretical physics, astrophysics, etc, preferably not too old, and not too textbooky. I was considering A Briefer History of Time, but I was wondering if there's anything better. A more focused subject than just "astrophysics" would be fine....black holes, parallel universes, crazy theories about the origin/nature of the universe, any kind of nutty shit like that.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0385477058/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1400033721/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tim the Wiz said:
Sometimes, I love Baen, especially when I become aware of another crazy/cool facet of their online business model. They actually have the ARC copy of CryoBurn (Vorkosigan #19) by Bujold up for purchase as an ebook. Now, what's a few typos between friends?

Not much, apparently. I didn't know how much I had missed Miles - the same old "hyperactive lunatic" whose danger readily belies his height - but it certainly shouldn't be a surprise that Bujold's mystery-come-science-fiction formula of late for the Vorkosigan saga continues to work. But, damn, the ending: it's a violent kick to the shins right at the last and promises to shake things up in a major way - the outcomes of which should prove very interesting in the next volume. Easy addiction and intelligence. It's a tough sell, but she pulls it off. Same old Bujold.

Finished
0670032557_01__AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It was a lot more enjoyable than the first one, and mostly because Roland needs a strong cast of characters around him. However, there were a lot of stupid things that King loved to throw in that would completely deflate a scene. Such as when you find out that Balazar
is a pedophile
at the end of Eddie's section. It was a completely pointless addition.

Started

dresdenfiles-bookone.jpg

Started reading this a few days ago, and I've got to admit, while Harry can occasionally be as dumb as a bag of hammers, he's a fun character. I'm also surprised by just how well written this is. Usually, the first book in a series is pretty rough, so I can't wait to see how Butcher improves. Unless the ending is absolutely horrible, I will probably pick up the rest of this series.

51jSG5phMpL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-14,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A Dirty Job

I like it. The only other Christopher Moore book I've read was Bloodsucking Fiends which I found pretty mediocre. A Dirty Job hits the ground running with a really funny first chapter full of giggles.

crowphoenix said:
dresdenfiles-bookone.jpg

Started reading this a few days ago, and I've got to admit, while Harry can occasionally be as dumb as a bag of hammers, he's a fun character. I'm also surprised by just how well written this is. Usually, the first book in a series is pretty rough, so I can't wait to see how Butcher improves. Unless the ending is absolutely horrible, I will probably pick up the rest of this series.

If you're impressed already, you'll be happy to know that the series markedly improves as it goes along.

FnordChan

Tim the Wiz said:
Same old Bujold.

By which you mean "completely awesome", of course. Look, man, I've pre-ordered the hardcover of Cryoburn and I'm determined to hold out until it arrives instead of reading the digital ARC, but you're not making it easy for me.

crowphoenix, if you liked the first Dresden book then you've got a lot of terrific reading ahead of you, as the series improves steadily from there, with things really kicking into gear after he's got most of the factions laid out around the fifth book or so.

FnordChan

Tim the Wiz said:
If you're impressed already, you'll be happy to know that the series markedly improves as it goes along.
I'm not sure if my being impressed come from my low expectations or not, but that is good to know. There is just too much to read, and that is a great thing.

FnordChan said:
crowphoenix, if you liked the first Dresden book then you've got a lot of terrific reading ahead of you, as the series improves steadily from there, with things really kicking into gear after he's got most of the factions laid out around the fifth book or so.
I like having these two recommendations. I'm excited now.

crowphoenix said:
I'm not sure if my being impressed come from my low expectations or not, but that is good to know. There is just too much to read, and that is a great thing.

I like having these two recommendations. I'm excited now.
There's a SciFi television show that only lasted one season if you're interested. It basically takes entire books and reduces them to one hour shows. Not always a good thing, but it worked for the show (especially since I didn't know they were books until after). It's an interesting diversion to the stories, to look at how they had to change certain characters for the show to work.

eznark

Banned
aaaaaand I just deleted Franzen's Freedom from my nook.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/10/smaller-than-life/8212/2/

One keeps waiting for something that will make these flat characters develop in some way, and finally the Nice Man is struck by a great blow of fate. But rather than write his way through it, Franzen suspends things just before the moment of impact, then resumes Walter’s story six years later—updating us with the glib aside that the event in question “had effectively ended his life.” A writer’s got to know his limitations, but this stratagem is clumsy enough to make one want to laugh for the first time in the book. It certainly beats the part where a wedding ring is retrieved from a bowl of feces.

One of the more scathing reviews I've read of a book by such a critical darling. Of course, now that it's made Oprah's Book Club it's sure to get excoriated by the elites.

m3k

im reading tales of the unexpected by roald dahl and the odyessy... slow going cause im just reading on the train if im not too tired from work

edit: oh yeah but the tales of the unexpected is awesome, i picked it up cause an old high school teacher read one of the stories to us ages ago and i saw it in the penguin collection

clever twisted adult stories... not clever twisted childrens books lol and well the odyessy is a must read for anyone half interested or committed

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mifune said:
Just finished this:

7334201.jpg

Read it.

I'm going to read this on kindle.

Top Bottom