• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

imgLife%20of%20Pi4.jpg

Finally read this and loved it. Other than the fact that this is about a boy who finds himself on a lifeboat with a tiger I knew nothing about the book and was pretty curious how this premise would make for an interesting read. Well I'm still not sure about the how, but an interesting read it was. Still don't believe in God though, but at times the book got me wishing I could.

The_Diamond_Age.jpg

I remember starting this book waaaaaay back when I was like 13 or maybe 14. I didn't finish it because I simply did not understand most of it. So I figured I give it another try now that I'm all grown up and smart...
Well a lot of the science stuff still went over my head but I liked the whole idea of a world which is divided by cultural believe systems rather than nationalities.

Now starting:

perdido_street_station_us.jpg

Have heard a lot of good stuff about this author and this book so I'm really excited.

Oh and as an audiobook I'm currently listening to:

rothfuss_name1.jpg

So far I like it though it is kinda slow paced. But considering that I mostly listen to it before sleeping that is perfect.

Yen

Has anyone read Paul Auster's New York Trilogy? Saw a recent post that said it was Kojima's inspiration for the post modern, fourth wall breaking stuff in MGS2.

Mifune

Mehmber
Has anyone read Paul Auster's New York Trilogy? Saw a recent post that said it was Kojima's inspiration for the post modern, fourth wall breaking stuff in MGS2.

It's on my shelf but I haven't read it. I really liked his Book of Illusions though.

Yen

It's on my shelf but I haven't read it. I really liked his Book of Illusions though.

Well on Goodreads, most reviews are either 1 star or 5 star, people calling it a masterpiece or pretentious, so I'll try and get round to it!

raindoc

I just finished "Le Passager" by Jean-Christophe Grange (9/10) and "The Inquisitor" by Mark Allan Smith (6/10) - now starting with "When the Killing's done" by T.C. Boyle.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Started reading "A Nation of Wusses" last night.

Kindle Descriptions said:
Governor Ed Rendell explains why America's leaders rarely call for sacrifice for the greater good—to avoid making any sacrifices themselves!

Rendell has seen job security become the primary consideration of any person with power in America—their own job security! Most politicians and bureaucrats can see no further ahead than the next election, sometimes no further than the next press conference. Americans are rarely afraid of sacrifice and hard work when they mean building a better future, but when was the last time you heard of a leader of anything making a sacrifice for the greater good? The people can only win when they make it clear to the powers that be that making the right choices, even the hard ones, is the key to winning the next election.

Just got a few pages into it though.

Mumei

At the library today. I finished up Invincible Ultimate Collection Volume 7 and Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics. I thought both were excellent, particularly the latter. I recently started getting into football and for me the biggest barrier is just not being at all culturally immersed in it. I don't watch basketball or (American) football, but I can name a decent number of good players, coaches, and teams and have a vague sense of when they were good (moreso basketball than football, mostly thanks to my father being a basketball nut and watching television specials or history stuff with him when I was younger).

But football for me is like "uh.... that Pele guy was pretty good, right?" So, yes, contextualizing things is nice and I think it has given me a greater appreciation of the importance of the organization of a team and its tactics and I feel like when I watch a game now I am 'seeing' more than I was a few dozen games ago.

I am also reading The Brothers Karamazov, which I am about 54 pages behind on relative to schedule. It has been getting better as I have gotten further; right now it feels like there is a lot of setup and character introductions and (admittedly well-written) philosophical filibusters, but the plot feels like it is sort of onhold at the moment and I am hoping the plot gets a kick in the pants soon.

Jintor

imgLife%20of%20Pi4.jpg

Finally read this and loved it. Other than the fact that this is about a boy who finds himself on a lifeboat with a tiger I knew nothing about the book and was pretty curious how this premise would make for an interesting read. Well I'm still not sure about the how, but an interesting read it was. Still don't believe in God though, but at times the book got me wishing I could.

Yeah, that's kind of what I got out of it too

Grakl

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The last one is for a scholarship - I hate it, but I need the money, haha.

MjFrancis

200px-Nietzsche_and_Philosophy.JPG

I just started Nietzsche and Philosophy by Gilles Deleuze.

I've been wanting to read it for many years, but I didn't grab a copy until last week.

EVOL 100%

Life of Pi

I thought it was a rather scathing and cynical look on religion.

edit: On second thought, it wasn't actually scathing, but it had a depressingly cynical look on why we have religion. I really liked it.

Nezumi

I thought it was a rather scathing and cynical look on religion.

edit: On second thought, it wasn't actually scathing, but it had a depressingly cynical look on why we have religion. I really liked it.

Really? I don't know if saying that we have religion, because a good story is better (or at least nicer) to believe in than cold and rational facts is really cynical. Maybe if religion is understood only on a purely institutional level? But I think the book was more about believe than it was about institutional religions. And in this I did not found it to be cynical at all.

EVOL 100%

Really? I don't know if saying that we have religion, because a good story is better (or at least nicer) to believe in than cold and rational facts is really cynical. Maybe if religion is understood only on a purely institutional level? But I think the book was more about believe than it was about institutional religions. And in this I did not found it to be cynical at all.

We'll agree to disagree then. I think that the view that people believe because they don't want to deal reality is pretty cynical imo. It's basically saying that religion (even on a personal level) is escapism. Well, at least that's what I got out of it. I do think that you're view is reasonable though.

I can't wait for the film.

Nezumi

We'll agree to disagree then. I think that the view that people believe because they don't want to deal reality is pretty cynical imo. It's basically saying that religion (even on a personal level) is escapism. Well, at least that's what I got out of it. I do think that you're view is reasonable though.

I can't wait for the film.

Ah, I see your point now. Well, I allready had the opinion that religion=escapism before I read the book. The book did not change that opinion but got me wondering if a little bit of escapism now and then is such a bad thing.

Edit: Oh and I'm excited for the movie, too. But knowing me I will probably be disappointed because when it comes to book adaptations I normally am. I think I might be a little bit to strict when it comes to that.

Monocle

41fPuUdJdBL.jpg

Just finished this and awaiting the 2nd part from Amazon.

Awesome book. I can't believe I'd never heard of Gene Wolfe before (picked the book up at random at Barnes & Noble not knowing what to expect). Difficult to read at first due to the exotic vocabulary, but after a couple chapters I couldn't put it down. I love how the author presents a culture that's degenerated past the point of understanding its own technology (e.g. a mechanism powered by 'lightning' instead of electricity).
Need to pick up the third and fourth still. Finished the second one a while back but still haven't moved on.
On no account should you overlook The Urth of the New Sun once you've finished all four parts of The Book of the New Sun. It will hugely intensify your appreciation of the series by expounding many fascinating details and plot strands that were only hinted in the earlier volumes. The overarching narrative it reveals blew my mind, and the insights it offers about several major characters made me want to read the series all over again.

Urth of the New Sun is a satisfying conclusion to Severian's journeys and an exceptionally rich reward for all of the time you invested in the preceding books.

Donthizz#

Finished Mortal engines by Philip reeve, If your into Post-apocalyptic/steampunk settings go buy this book, highly recommend it...

gdt

Has anyone read the Keith Richards autobiography? Picked up it at Barnes and Noble today for like $6.

Keith_Richards_Life.jpg

Fintan

I'm a couple of chapters in to part 2 of Crime and Punishment. On the recommendation of people in this thread, I've got the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. For comparison I read a bit of the Constance Garnett and personally I thought the P & V translation flowed much better and was overall easier to read. It's interesting so far. I have no real idea of where it's going to go.

argon

On no account should you overlook The Urth of the New Sun once you've finished all four parts of The Book of the New Sun. It will hugely intensify your appreciation of the series by expounding many fascinating details and plot strands that were only hinted in the earlier volumes. The overarching narrative it reveals blew my mind, and the insights it offers about several major characters made me want to read the series all over again.

Urth of the New Sun is a satisfying conclusion to Severian's journeys and an exceptionally rich reward for all of the time you invested in the preceding books.

Yep, I picked that one up as well. =)

Also got The Fifth Head of Cerberus.

Recently finished:

9781444723458.jpg

Loved it. Reading The Dark Tower for the first time and very impressed with the first two books.

About 100 pages into:

9780316129084.jpg

Enjoying it so far - I'm a big fan of Abraham's work so I knew I probably would :)

Ledsen

So to people reading The Dark Tower... how is Stephen King, generally? I tried to read Tommyknockers and got about 250 pages in before I had to put that shit down. So much padding and repetition, not to mention the boring and flat characters. Didn't like his style of writing at all. Is it representative of his work or is it one of his worst?

Yay new Pete Hamilton book coming out soon! And its a sci-fi detective novel!

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton

So to people reading The Dark Tower... how is Stephen King, generally? I tried to read Tommyknockers and got about 250 pages in before I had to put that shit down. So much padding and repetition, not to mention the boring and flat characters. Didn't like his style of writing at all. Is it representative of his work or is it one of his worst?

The thing I like about King is the 'communities' he creates and the cast of characters involved and their interactions .. hence I liked Under the Dome, The Stand, 11/22/63, and It. I don't like when he mostly focuses on one or two characters .. Duma Key, Gunslinger, and (to a lesser extent) The Drawing of the Three. That's just how I look at his style. And I openly admit I probably didn't give The Dark Tower series enough of a chance.

FnordChan

Well, on the one hand, I don't believe The Tommyknockers is considered one of King's finest moments; a recent website ranking of King's work (for what that's worth) placed it just shy of the very bottom of their list. So, you didn't pick a winner to start reading the man with. On the other hand, while I haven't read the book myself, I doubt it's radically different from King's writing style in general, especially when it comes to his padding things out just a wee bit.

If you'd like to give the man another try - and I'm enough of a fan that I'd certainly recommend doing so - pick up a copy of Skeleton Crew, which contains a fair chunk of his short fiction from the early to mid 80s. In particular, it kicks off with the novella The Mist, which is top notch and clocks in at a tight 130 pages. That'll give you an idea if you like the man's writing enough when he's on form to check out some of his more celebrated novels.

FnordChan

Puckmarin

Banned

I found The Dark Tower to be a mixed bag. Some books I just couldn't put down and didn't want to end while others I though were horrible. Keep in mind that the Dark Tower series creates a metaverse for most of King's work so you'll be seeing people & concepts from previous novels in various Dark Tower books.

Collete

I'll have to read this for my English course:
YqSk6.jpg

I'm a little weary of this book, a lot of reviews say it's just confusing and boring.
Anyone read this book and thought otherwise?

x-Lundz-x

the-eye-of-the-world.jpg

Never read it. Was considering reading this or Game of Thrones, and I picked this.

Amazing choice. This has been my series for the past 20 years and it is so good. You will love it.

Currently, I am reading (listening on Audible) this in preparation for the final book:

9539.jpg

This will be my 4th read through most of the series.

ultron87

Where's a good place to start with Iain M. Banks? I think I actually have Consider Phlebas laying around.

Consider Phlebas is a perfectly fine start, though in my opinion it is one of the weaker Culture novels (though still pretty good). You can start with any of them really, as they are all self contained.

Tapiozona

Banned
I just finished the Wolves of Calla and then I moved on to this because of recommendations from last month's thread..

512rlp8vx5l-_ss500_.jpg

Absolutely loved this book. Whoever has been recommending it, thank you.
It's funny reading this after reading the Dark Tower Novels as well as recently having read ASOIAF. I didn't see the plot twists at all but the book had to of been inspired by both of those series.

Just started...
12891107.jpg

OK for me to just post in here without joining the GAF bookclub mentioned in the OP? I alternate my gaming backlog with my book backlog so neither of them are very consistent.

Just last night I started reading

ready-player-one-book-cover.png

I'm only 26 pages in but I already like it a lot! It's part Scott Pilgrim and part Willy Wonka, so far. I was born in '82 so some of the 80's stuff doesn't connect with me, I guess I was a little too young. Still, good stuff and can't wait to start reading again tonight.

ThankeeSai

passage.jpg

Post apocalyptic tale of a virus that turns people into vampire-esque creatures and pretty much wipes humanity out.

1st part of a trilogy (second part out this October).

About 1/3 of the way through and it's really enjoyable so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom