• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your de-stressing games of choice?

Cragor

Neo Member
Everybodys golf, any of them really but the latest one on ps4 even more so thanks to the open courses, fishing or just fooling around jumping over rooftops and playing catch witht he cart with other players.

Ace Attorney. Doesn't matter which game. That series is so good for my anxiety for some reason.

I've played it a little bit everyday for the last 8 years or so

a.wd

My end of day routine after I put the girls to bed, go work for a couple hours then get Forza horizon 3 started and put on a podcast, easily the best way to relax after a hard day.

Carlisle

Rocket League for me. It's sometimes stressful, but it's a great game for short bursts of play and no progression to really worry about. Just mindless reflexes and that endorphin blast that comes with every goal.
GORN

ClearcutIllfatedAmericanquarterhorse-size_restricted.gif

Physics-improvement-spear-lift-gorn-vr.gif

You can just FUCK people up in that game, and physically pound them until they're nothing but mush.
I saw this game at PAX. It was a VR station set up in a little enclosed octagon. The spot I was standing in allowed me to see the gameplay on the mounted TVs, but the person playing was obscured from my point of view by a wall. It was the first time I'd seen the game and it legit shocked me how over the top gory it was. This dude was ripping arms off of people and beating them into pudding. The screen was a blood volcano.

I continued walking and when the octagon came into full view I saw a kid, no older than 8, VR set on his head, arms flailing around, and the biggest grin on his face. It was both the most amazing and most disturbing thing I saw at PAX.

NYCrooner

Fallout 4

I turn on Diamond City radio on my Pipboy and just wanderer the wasteland looking for shit to do. I play the game is small doses and rarely touch the main quest so I've got sooo much game left.

dealer-

Neo Geo Turf Masters.

29ebff03419c406fefda5945dcb66d2d.gif

The gameplay loop is sublime and it's really easy just to put on half and hour before bed to relax.

Currently it's Black Ops 3 multiplayer. I usually have a multiplayer FPS to fall back on when I just want to zone out and let off some steam.

Flagship

Shenmue and Yakuza, there's something really soothing about roaming around the openworld in these games. The former has some of the best music I've ever heard that really gives character to the environment, the latter has those spontaneous substories that are really fun and either leave you with something thought-provoking/setimental or with a good feeling.

It's been a while since I've played the former (shenmue) properly for years and years, IF a remaster comes out I look forward to going through all of that again.

I suppose retro co-op/fighting games are chillaxing with multiple people, but alone I often struggle to play anything for long periods. For shenmue and Yakuza I can easily spend friday night and the weekend doing nothing but roaming around and I'd feel content and rested, so I'd say that.

Some of the classic point and click games are pretty good for this as well.

HylianTom

Banned
For 2017, Breath of the Wild has helped me de-stress.

I've only played through it once, and I've 100%ed the game, so there's nothing left to accomplish.. but sometimes I'll start it up and just wander around the countryside aimlessly, playing with the physics engine, taking pictographs of landscapes, etc. I can climb to the peak of a mountain and watch a dragon from afar. Or I'll visit the villages with my favorite music and chill, especially at nighttime. The game has an odd, calming effect on me.

Vaeghar

Neo Member
Oddly enough, for myself of late, it's been League of Legends, Co-op vs AI, with a chill playlist going in the background.

Otherwise, Journey or Flower on PS4 never fail to relax me.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Proteus always helps when I'm feeling down.

Bladelaw

Rocket League and Diablo 3 for me. There's no pressure in Rocket League to be great like in a bunch of other competitive games an driving around batting at a ball is always good fun.

Diablo 3 lets me smash a bunch of monsters and get fun explosions of loot. Both are great to chill out with.

Peltz

Generally, I avoid any violent or super challenging games when I want to chill out. I stick to platformers and, lately, RPGs.

retroman

A couple of rounds of a classic fighting game like Street Fighter II, The King Of Fighters or Mark of the Wolves is my remedy of choice when I'm feeling stressed.

A quick playthrough of the arcade version of Golden Axe is also rather pleasant.

psyfi

Banned
Metroidvanias are a big one for me. The gameplay is so crisp and simple, yet engaging and fun. And the music is frequently dope. Metroid Zero Mission, Guacamelee, and SOTN are my faves. Oh and Rogue Legacy, though that's a Rogue lite.

Dufoos

Banned
Stellaris is really nice to calm down to. Just explore planets, meet aliens, and quickly build up your robot empire.

Castlevania SOTN

I can just start a new game and basically just let my reflexes take over. I know the game like the back of my hand.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If I ever needed to de-stress, I'd probably put on Stardew Valley. A very calm game, that.

Symphony of the Night is a classic too, and something I can pick up and start playing. (edit: I see I'm not the only one)

Dark Souls has had so many hours in that it's mostly empowering to start a new character and fuck shit up by getting OP early. I can load it up and pick any random gimmick for my character and run with it. An old favourite was double claws. Good fun, might do it again.

Right now, Breath of the Wild. Like, I don't even care much about advancing the story-line, I get a kick out of just traversing the world.

Nheco

XCOM Enemy Within

I simply love this game to the bones and I own it on every piece of hardware I own that has a version of it.

XCOM 2 is good, but Enemy Within is perfection.

Nheco

Lately it's been Civilization 5. Just sit back and build my empire.

Civ 4 was my chill game for a loooong time. I played a lot of civ 5, but the lack of "stacks of doom" made it not so fun as its predecessor (even that I think it's totally understandable that they remove it, it's was nuts).

Top Bottom