• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your de-stressing games of choice?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I rarely do this but when I do, it's Mad Max.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Final Fantasy XIV mostly. Just doing dailies or a bit of grinding. I usually just watch netflix if I'm stressed though.

Kind of obscure, but for me, it's probably Mario's Super Picross, the Japan-only Super Famicom game. For whatever reason, the specific movement mechanics, soundtrack options, and puzzles click for me to get into a relaxed state in a way that Picross DS and the 3DS Picrosses never quite have for me.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Sonic Mania
Bloodborne
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Kingdom Hearts
NieR Automata
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Final Fantasy XV

Final Fantasy XIV mostly. Just doing dailies or a bit of grinding. I usually just watch netflix if I'm stressed though.

I could see this being a thing for me if I was in a full static party. Otherwise, I feel like the people I'm grouped with for dailies would determine whether or not it de-stresses me haha.

Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Being able to tell the composer how much the game's music helped me after my brother's death was an incredible honor.

cj_iwakura

61085_front.jpg
Yep. (Katamari Damacy)

Creepy

Senran Kagura, DoAX3, various sexy compile heart games...

Going on a rampage in Hatred or GTAV.

Fishing in Final Fantasy XIV.

Lately, Steep.

Js6Y3h2.gif

Not in doing particular events (which sometimes are frustrating in their precision), but in just exploring, finding my own long, high speed routes, and in mountain story events. The game's instant-teleports and instant-restarts remove any friction from just doing whatever you want. I've really enjoyed my time with it.

And Abzu is just a pure mental massage. So damn tranquil, with a really nice flow to everything.

OPZioto.gif

Old '80s arcade games, like Galplus. Pinball, with Pinbot on PA being my go-to. Puzzle games, like any Tetris with piece-holding/swapping function. Minecraft is good, too. A long time ago, I used to just terraform in Sim City 2K.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
FFXIV was that game until I hit level cap as a healer (SCH). It got too real and I quit.

Cities: Skylines is beautiful & calming - I quite like it.

Animal Crossing of course - can’t WAIT for a new one.

Civ V is like a warm blanket.

EDIT: need to pick up Steep when that DLC hits!

balohna

Box Boy on the train was a great one for me after work. Still have the third one to play, looking forward to getting to it. I cycle through transit entertainment and haven't felt a specific Box Boy itch lately.

Overwatch quickplay is another good one.

FFXIV was that game until I hit level cap as a healer (SCH). It got too real and I quit.

This is literally me, too. SCH here as well, then I maxed out and started endgame stuff. I still play the endgame stuff (I really want a dog), but I definitely don't find it de-stressing in the slightest haha

Usually puzzle games. Puyo Puyo Tetris and any of the many versions of Panel de Pon (especially Pokemon Puzzle Challenge and Tetris Attack). Also the Umihara Kawase games. Really, anything with relaxing aesthetics, an engaging play aspect for me to lose myself in, and a quick sense of accomplishment and experimentation. Shmups are great for this as well due to how quickly I start to feel flow.

I guess in general I could say just gaming in general is de-stressing for me. That being said, I really like to turn to Minecraft or No Man's Sky when I get a large bump of depression or when anxiety is really kicking in. Those games are so relaxing and hold a special place in my heart. I've been playing the same Minecraft world nearly 4 years now on my PlayStation, so it helps even more whenever I go back to it.

sublimit

Banned
Dragon Quest games never fail to put a smile to my face.Especially DQV where i absolutely loved all the party chat dialogues (the kids lines were so funny and cute).

Lately, Steep.

Not in doing particular events (which sometimes are frustrating in their precision), but in just exploring, finding my own long, high speed routes, and in mountain story events. The game's instant-teleports and instant-restarts remove any friction from just doing whatever you want. I've really enjoyed my time with it.

Is Steep an all right game? It's dropped to the bargain bin ($25) here at my local wal-mart and I'd love even a halfway decent snowboarding game.

Is Steep an all right game? It's dropped to the bargain bin ($25) here at my local wal-mart and I'd love even a halfway decent snowboarding game.
Depends what you're looking for I'd guess. For me its just a ginormous fully open playground where you can snowboard, basejump, etc. with zero loading (after the initial load) and on that front its a fun and relaxing time to jump into every once in a while. Its got smooth controls, rock solid performance, a nice sense of speed and flow, and just a ton to explore - not so much to find anything in particular - though there are some special locations and hidden away spots and easter eggs, but just to take a different path that looks interesting and fun.

As a linear, do event-A and then event-B and eventually win all the golds, I'm not so sure how well it compares to other games.

I will say I've reached max level and still love to jump in from time to time, so its not XP or unlocks driving me - just simple play.

Shotpun

Generally all games I like relieve stress, but playing any game that lets me build things symmetrically is like sitting back and having a cold one while the game takes my OCD out for a walk.

Sailent

Banned
Definitely Warframe.

Easy to hop on and just run around killing shit feeling overpowered as fuck.

Destiny 2 will be a solid choice here once the PC version drops.

Warframe aswell, no destiny 2 for me.

Space ninjas all the way.

I purchased the game on the basis it would be a good game to chill with. What I actually got is a fun but incredibly difficult and frustrating game beyond the first two hours. It is the most stressful game I have played since Bloodborne.
Unless you're trying to nail gold in each and every event I don't see how its frustrating at all. What is it thats getting to you?

If it was I certainly wouldn't be playing it to chill, which I do, and have, the past few nights while listening to a hardcore history podcast. Just go your own way, without doing events, and its pure downhill goodness. Run the events when you want to test yourself. Some are easy, some are frustratingly difficult, depending. But even then the instant restarts and instant teleportation anywhere across the mountain helps a lot.

Basically, what I do is find an event that starts just about as high up as I can get for a particular side of the mountain. Then I just avoid going through the circle that starts the event and see if I can find my way down, at speed, until I reach some frozen lake far below, or else I reach the edge of the map. If I run into any problems - like blind cliffsides filled with jagged rocks (pretty much a setup for the basejumping and gliding events) I just hold down the triangle for 2 seconds and whoosh, I'm back up at the top where I might see whats to the left, or right, or behind, or whatever. You can find some nice, long runs and slip into a smooth zone.

Yeah that’s not crazy at all. I have done the same. Once you know the areas it’s just a process and it can be pretty relaxing going through the motions.

Right now for me it’s Picross and Destiny 2

I second this. I'm playing through Dark Souls 3 now and it's so relaxing after beating it so many times.

The Witness

But I'm at a point in the game where I can only play for like 30 min max before I start getting stressed out again.

lately I've been playing Destiny 2 crucible with music off and Ian Browns greatest hits on spotify.

For some reason I find it so much more relaxing than when I play with my Xbox friends and I seem to do better too.

Top Bottom