• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite egg dishes to cook or eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

About 2.5 years ago, I posted a thread called "GAF, eggs totally gross me out. Help!"

I decided to finally get over it and just like eggs again, and started cooking eggs last week. I made an omelet with Cabot Cheddar and it came out silkily well, with sliced avocado on top at the end and buttered toast points. That was really tasty. I made one with broccoli as well that was pretty good but the broccoli wasn't as al dente or flavorful as I wanted. I'm wondering how it would be with roasted broccoli. At brunch on Saturday with my wife I had one of the Original Pancake House's ridiculously huge omelets (I could only eat like a third of it) with broccoli and cheese...it was alright, not great, it's more like a soufflé and reminds me of a better ham and egg soufflé-type omelet we had at a maple sugaring breakfast in Quebec last year or the year before (I think I actually tried the eggs in this case, probably one of the only times I did so in the last couple years, and I do remember the dish tasting pretty good despite my egg aversion, if I'm recalling correctly).

Last night I made some Thai pineapple fried rice with scrambled (wok'd, really) egg, which I was very happy with, and then tomorrow I want to make a Korean breakfast sandwich omelet called Gaeran Tost-u, a blog entry for which is on my old food blog from a few years back. I don't have bread handy so I'll probably make it just as an omelet, with carrot and cabbage cooked in, similar to how a Western Omelet is made, and then brown sugar sprinkled over the top with a festive drizzle of ketchup. I'd also like to make some other kinds of egg dishes soon. So, lots of egg goodness to come I'm hoping!

So, I'm looking for more recommendations of egg dishes to eat and make now that I'm back on the egg bandwagon. What are your favorite egg dishes?

Recipes are most welcome! Pictures are encouraged. Thanks all!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Huevos Rancheros,shakshuka, and just plain eggs and bacon.

Oh, and chilaquiles with eggs on top.
Hangover cure.
UbeZRPZ.jpg

My favorite way to eat eggs is fried and runny in something I like to call Eggs Americana.

It's hot Italian bulk sausage made into a sausage gravy, spooned over the fried (or basted) eggs, beneath the egg is a fried tomato slice and a piece of bacon all on top of a biscuit.

I make it every year for my family on the Winter Solstice (None of us are christian, so we chose that as our festive day.)

Layers for those who want to skip the above line:

Hot Italian Sausage Gravy

Fried or Basted Egg

Fried Tomato

Bacon

Biscuit

maxcriden

Huevos Rancheros,shakshuka, and just plain eggs and bacon.

Oh, and chilaquiles with eggs on top.
Hangover cure.

Thanks for these. I like huevos rancheros a whole lot, though only with scrambled eggs. Hm, but, I always get chilaquiles and migas confused. Are they essentially the same thing?

Speaking of Mexican egg dishes, I forgot we also made last week these amazing breakfast tacos we used to eat with honey and chili-rubbed bacon, eggs scrambled with pan-roasted red peppers, and fresh cilantro. They didn't turn out as amazingly this time but in general they've been great. We had a bit of a malfunction with tortillas and with the bacon itself.

A Fish Aficionado

Thanks for these. I like huevos rancheros a whole lot, though only with scrambled eggs. Hm, but, I always get chilaquiles and migas confused. Are they essentially the same thing?

Speaking of Mexican egg dishes, I forgot we also made last week these amazing breakfast tacos we used to eat with honey and chili-rubbed bacon, eggs scrambled with pan-roasted red peppers, and fresh cilantro. They didn't turn out as amazingly this time but in general they've been great. We had a bit of a malfunction with tortillas and with the bacon itself.
Migas are more if a mash dish. Think of a garbage plate. Traditionally, it's an Iberian peninsula dish of leftovers (old bread, garlic, chorizo, other meats), but I prefer the Mexican one.

Chilaquiles, which I guess came from the same philosophy are more tortilla and salsa based. Some Tex Mex varieties use tortilla chips, only of salt.

A sunny side up egg and chilaquiles with queso fresco is godlike.

DJ_Lae

I have simple pleasures when it comes to eggs (although I enjoy them in everything, including quiche and frittata).

Scrambled is probably my favourite preparation, followed by a nice runny sunny side up, and egg drop soup. Particularly the college student version with it just dropped into cheap ramen while cooking.

A Fish Aficionado

My favorite egg dish to eat is the sausage sandwich at Eggslut.
I make many Eggslut dishes at home due to waiting times and pricing.

They're not particularly hard, but poaching eggs and getting that vibe does require trial and error.

mrkgoo

I love eggs. wanted to make a thread about best way to eat eggs.

I loved boiled, soft and hard, fried eggs, poached eggs, omelettes, scrambled. It's ALL good!

Eggs are probably the best food ever invented.

dice half an avocado, cook it with scrambled eggs and a bit of salt. Top with a touch of salsa. It's perfection.

Second fav is an egg in a basket. Comes in many names. I actually grew up calling them wesson nests but I never knew why.

My favorite egg is hard-boiled, at least in current volume, as far as my egg consumption is concerned. I have two at least every other day. Such a simple, delish snack.

When I was a kid, soft-boiled. Moms made it best, it made me a yolk-dipper for life; sunny-side up and over easy are my 'when I'm out at a breakfast place' staples.

Spanish Tortilla is pretty fucking great.
fc43ja065-01_xlg.jpg

Eating boiled eggs with Grüne Soße? Fantastic
4068669.jpg

But my favorite is egg rétes (hungarian). It is a bitch to make though.
turos-retes-reteslapbol.JPG

maxcriden

Migas are more if a mash dish. Think of a garbage plate. Traditionally, it's an Iberian peninsula dish of leftovers (old bread, garlic, chorizo, other meats), but I prefer the Mexican one.

Chilaquiles, which I guess came from the same philosophy are more tortilla and salsa based. Some Tex Mex varieties use tortilla chips, only of salt.

A sunny side up egg and chilaquiles with queso fresco is godlike.

Oh, cool. I never knew that background for the dishes. Thanks for the info!

o.jpg

A katsudon rice bowl has egg in it. Either that or a combination omelette from this one Chinese restaurant like 35 mins away from my house. It's often worth the drive, tbh.

small breakfast plate at Ikea - $1 gets you delicious eggs, sausage, and potatoes and coffee is free. Toss on some hot sauce and I could eat it every day honestly. I cook eggs at home but I never quite get the same texture as the Ikea ones.

YA91h68.jpg

RetroMG

If I'm not cooking, I love a good omelette or eggs benedict. (I can't cook a good omelette. I don't know why, it's like the easiest dish, but I can never make one properly.)

If I am cooking, I like scrambled eggs or toad in a hole/egg in a basket/pharoh's eye/this thing:

34393.jpg

I only like basic eggs in varying ways, like hardboiled, softboiled, sunny side up and poached. Just salt and pepper on them, no cheese or anything weird.

jts

...hate me...
Boiled, fried, over easy, sunny side up, baked in avocado, eggs benedict, egg butter, scotch eggs, shakshouka, omelete, scrambled, japanese omelete, omurice, oyakodon, egg fried rice, egg fried noodles, huevos rancheros, ovos moles and more.

That's how I like my eggs.

Regiruler

Eggs benedict is supreme.

There's a variant that my dining hall does in the specialty breakfast rotation that substitutes the english muffin for a large hash brown and the ham for hash. It's really, really good.

jeemer

scrambled eggs. on the runny side with mature cheddar, smoked ham, black pepper and a little mustard through em.

I fry two eggs, grill three slices of cape seed bread (two slices with some cheddar melted), then build a double-decker sandwich with it, with peri-peri sauce, olives, jalapeños and blue cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom