• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Atari 2600 games could make good current gen IPs?

Teggy

Consider that Wolfenstein began as an extremely simple Apple II game and is now an FPS. There should be some interesting nostalgic IPs that could be mined for games off the first popular console.

The obvious would be Pitfall. You could make a great 3D action adventure game with the Pitfall brand (although Pitfall Harry would probably wind up mowing down natives with his AK and grenade launcher).

How about Indy 500 as a fun arcade racer with ice tracks, tag games and everything?

River raid
RiverRaid.jpg

Combat

Combat32_in_1AtariPAL.png

arena style f2p game.

npa189

A modern River Raid as a PSN or Live title would be pretty rad.Or a dark gritty reboot? I just want more River Raid in my life.

Consider that Wolfenstein began as an extremely simple Apple II game and is now an FPS. There should be some interesting nostalgic IPs that could be mined for games off the first popular console.

The obvious would be Pitfall. You could make a great 3D action adventure game with the Pitfall brand (although Pitfall Harry would probably wind up mowing down natives with his AK and grenade launcher).

How about Indy 500 as a fun arcade racer with ice tracks, tag games and everything?

They tried that.

Noogy

A modern River Raid as a PSN or Live title would be pretty rad.Or a dark gritty reboot? I just want more River Raid in my life.

I could get behind this. Relatively deep mechanics. Was easily the highlight of my collection at the time. And it sounded awesome coming out of my TV's speakers.

Vylsith

Banned
It predates the 2600 by a little bit, but I'd love to see a current gen version of M.U.L.E. That game was awesome. Of course, that could be nostalgia talking.

Agent X

Gold Member
Even though Atari already tried reviving Star Raiders a couple of years ago, I'd like to see them take another crack at it, but adhering more closely to the gameplay style of the original. (Yes, I know Star Raiders didn't originate on the 2600, but there was a 2600 version, which is why I'm mentioning it.)

While we're at it, I could also go for an updated version of Solaris.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They did a reboot of Yar's Revenge on XBLA, but they made it a rail shooter, like Panzer Dragoon.

Instead of doing that, they should do it like Shadow of the Colossus.... in space.

DogMeat77

Q*bert could go a few ways... The most successful would probably be an arcade/psn puzzle game of some sort. It could also be a platformer but I'd imagine some sort of casual puzzle game would sell more.

120v

They did a reboot of Yar's Revenge on XBLA, but they made it a rail shooter, like Panzer Dragoon.

Instead of doing that, they should do it like Shadow of the Colossus.... in space.

i came in to say Yar's Revenge

though i'd prefer it to be a "retro revival", a la Galaga Legions or Pacman CE

It's odd none of them have stayed relevant with consistent new games.

The problem I find is they take them out of the abstraction and instead of making an Atari game today they make a game today based on an Atari game. They lose all the oddness and excitement of that early promise for games.

Yes to Yars Revenge & River Raid.

Agent X

Gold Member
It's odd none of them have stayed relevant with consistent new games.

The problem I find is they take them out of the abstraction and instead of making an Atari game today they make a game today based on an Atari game. They lose all the oddness and excitement of that early promise for games.

Yes to Yars Revenge & River Raid.

Those are good points. Many of the recent "updates" of old Atari games bear little resemblance to the originals. Instead of sticking to the tried and true gameplay, they turn them into overcomplicated messes.

Here's another idea I had a while back: a version of Missile Command utilizing a Wii Remote or PlayStation Move controller to aim at the screen (light gun style) to launch missiles.

IrishNinja

surprised to not see Berserk, that'd work easily in my mind...back in the day i'dve said one of those terrible games i got stuck with like Miner 2049'er but today not so much

dejay

Banned

Put an "Ad" on the beginning of that and I'd agree.

Adventure could be cool - a top down adventure game where there is no great fighting mechanic, but there would be puzzles to solve and items to get. I'd keep the one item inventory, but have it where you'd unlock a heap of short cuts or portals as you go so you don't have to backtrack the whole way just to swap items.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Berserk could work. Try to escape some secret facility filled with hostile robots, while being chased by an invisible smiley face nemesis.

EDIT: INVINCIBLE, not invisible. Derp.

mclem

I've often thought that the *ideas* behind Crystal Castles would make an intriguing game world for an action adventure game. I'd be curious what Swordquest would be like if done *right*, too.

Bulk_Rate

This could work as a touch game in an addictive Super Hexagon/Super Meat Boy way if it offered quick restarts. I remember blowing up my engine 1000 times due to the insanely quick reflexes required to post good times on this one.

s_Dragster_3.png

bjork

surprised to not see Berserk, that'd work easily in my mind...back in the day i'dve said one of those terrible games i got stuck with like Miner 2049'er but today not so much

Berserk could work. Try to escape some secret facility filled with hostile robots, while being chased by an invisible smiley face nemesis.

I've been wishing for a Berzerk anything for over 20 years. The last good chance was that it might've shown up in Game Room, but it didn't. I'll even take a straight port of the 2600 one. Most overlooked game of that era.

Top Bottom