• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Atari 2600 games could make good current gen IPs?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
River raid
RiverRaid.jpg

Greatest 2600 game ever.

Full on Space Shuttle simulator for the Atari 2600:

b_SpaceShuttle_front.jpg

You literally had to use the switches and buttons on the 2600 itself to make up for the one button on the 2600 joy stick.

But then again the Space Shuttle program was discontinued... so this would seem a little out dates.

Muffdraul

Still a cool name, too.

outlawimg.gif

Knock 'em on their butts!

Wow, I never realized that... one of the first examples of an arcade game being censored for the home market. In the arcade version, when you shot your opponent he DIED- laid out flat, and then turned into a little grave, a dirt mound complete with crucifix.

GrayFoxPL

Berserk could work. Try to escape some secret facility filled with hostile robots, while being chased by an invisible smiley face nemesis.

Woo, game with dark history. People died playing it and shit or so the myth says.

Could be a blockbuster.

"Will you die next?"

cacildo

Put some cg intro and some tutorials and you´ll be "playing" for 4 hours before getting the key

Also i want a QTE to fight the dragon and some microtransactions. "Infinite bridges: $29,99"

fred

Even though Atari already tried reviving Star Raiders a couple of years ago, I'd like to see them take another crack at it, but adhering more closely to the gameplay style of the original. (Yes, I know Star Raiders didn't originate on the 2600, but there was a 2600 version, which is why I'm mentioning it.)

While we're at it, I could also go for an updated version of Solaris.

Wow, didn't realise they tried reviving Star Raiders years ago. That game was awesome on the VCS 2600.

River Raid would be great, as would The Empire Strikes Back but the latter should remain a 2D side scroller. The only problem with that though is that if that was released again you should get at least one controller free with it, that game was responsible for killing at least three Atari joysticks due to overuse. Hate to think how many hours my family put into that game, it was very addictive.

Of course LucasArts won't allow that to happen because for some reason known only to themselves they only seem to allow shite Star Wars games to be released these days. :eek:(

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wanted to throw Keystone Kapers in there. It was always fun navigating those dept store floors, chasing after a crook.

Talamius

Warlords reboot would make for a kick-ass $14.99 steam/PSN/Live game with online play. That game is still fun today.

Berserk could work. Survival horror FPS with Rift support.

Nothing. I'm not saying there's not good Atari 2600 games, but they were so simple that any new remakes would basically have no connection, gameplay-wise or aesthetically or anything. It'd be just the name.

stuminus3

Nothing. I'm not saying there's not good Atari 2600 games, but they were so simple that any new remakes would basically have no connection, gameplay-wise or aesthetically or anything. It'd be just the name.
This is true. Best connection you could hope for these days in a 'modern' version of an Atari 2600 IP is for something that kinda looks like the box art of these games. If you're looking for the gameplay, just play something by Jeff Minter or the Bit.Trip guys or something.

Communist Mutants from Space

Glad I'm not the only one to remember that title.

Personally I would love to see an update of Defender:

b_Defender_Color_Blue_front.jpg

Which lead me to think, Atari 2600 games were simplistic, but their box art was amazing. Take Super Breakout.

s_SuperBreakout_3.png

Single player pong, nothing interesting. Now look at the box art:
superbreakout_crop.jpg

Bam! Now we have a game idea we can take into the modern era.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Haunted House
There was actually a recent remake/sequel to Haunted House. I think it came out last year.

How about Tomrac the Barbarian? It would be a platformer and still allow you to switch between the barbarian and the caged girl.

gLSufZf.png

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Put an "Ad" on the beginning of that and I'd agree.

Adventure could be cool - a top down adventure game where there is no great fighting mechanic, but there would be puzzles to solve and items to get. I'd keep the one item inventory, but have it where you'd unlock a heap of short cuts or portals as you go so you don't have to backtrack the whole way just to swap items.
i2uFtpN.jpg

Top Bottom