• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What cancelled/unreleased game intrigues you the most?

Fancolors

The one cancelled game intrigues me the most is Kurayami, which was supposed to be a game with light and darkness mechanics loosely inspired by Franz Kafka and directed by Suda51.

kurayami-suda51-ps3-cancelled-04.jpg

kurayami-suda51-ps3-cancelled.jpg

Supposedly its remains turned into Shadows of the Damned.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

The World Ends With You sequel

In 2012, a Square Enix countdown went up on the official TWEWY website. It looked like it would be a sequel, then there were leaks that it was not. They turned out to be correct: it was a mobile port and special soundtrack release. There was a lot of disappointment there, but then after the credits in the secret ending on the mobile version, the above image was shown.

This character was a new one, and the was also the "new 7 days". After four years, nothing has materialized at all, and the sequel was rumored to be cancelled. At this point that is exactly what I think is the case.

This hurts so much.

Prey 2: The Thread

Open world Bladerunner bounty hunting game. Much like how people cursed Fox for dropping Firefly people will curse Bethesda for doing shady shit no matter how much they deny it and blame the "quality" of the tittle as justification.

This game would have been undoubtedly a masterpiece with amazing visuals for its time, great art design and gameplay...and it's something that everyone knew...including Bethesda.

I would love for Unseen64 to do a detailed piece on this but I doubt Bethesda will ever cough up anything about this fuck up.

3tskGS8h.jpg

I'm sorry, but how can you be so sure of this? The game never came out, and I doubt that there's enough footage out there to make this determination.

I came into this thread knowing that this would happen. People projecting their "dream game" on cancelled titles. Somehow a cancelled game was a guaranteed game of the forever.

They've all been said but:

- Silent HIlls
- MML3
- TWEWY sequel

Also the Daredevil game and the Rogue Squadron Unseen64 did videos on would have been tight.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stars of Blood, the open-world (well, "open-galaxy", I suppose) space pirate game Valve was once working on. I still hold hope that the project will be revisited when Source 2 is more mature and can handle sprawling, complex spaces, in no small part because such a game would fit the "games as a service" bill very nicely -- practically infinite possibilities for new content and ship liveries, weapon skins, etc. would make for inoffensive microtransactions.

iXfjw.jpg

fIpmu.jpg

FUMji.jpg

Of2FF.jpg

7xGfd.jpg

The mind salivates when imagining the above being backed by Valve's bottomless pit of money.

ranmafan

I'm probably one of the few people here that even remember this game was announced but by far the one unreleased/canceled game I'm sad we never heard almost nothing about and that I wanted to play so much was a game tentatively called "Kouma." It was to be a prequel to the sakura taisen series of games taking place during the kouma wars before the first game, and would feature many of the characters who would mentor the characters we knew and love in the sakura taisen series in series.

The game was announced at the sakura taisen world project in the summer of 2002, along with a ton of other games such as sakura taisen v and a bunch of spin offs. But by far Kouma sounded like the most interesting title of the bunch at the time. Sadly the very little bit of info that was released that day is all that we heard of that title and it just disappeared never to be heard from again. And sadly the sakura taisen franchise shortly thereafter began its fall from grace in the eyes of the Japanese public.

I really wish more information was available about the game. I would've loved to have played a sakura taisen title that takes place during that time. We did thankfully get a little look at that time period during one episode of the sakura taisen tv series, but other than that one episode that series is an embarrassment that should be forgotten and never seen again. Maybe one day someone will spill the beans about the game but I bet there's probably very little info on it at all.

DrD

Stars of Blood, the open-world (well, "open-galaxy", I suppose) space pirate game Valve was once working on. I still hold hope that the project will be revisited when Source 2 is more mature and can handle sprawling, complex spaces, in no small part because such a game would fit the "games as a service" bill very nicely -- practically infinite possibilities for new content and ship liveries, weapon skins, etc. would make for inoffensive microtransactions.

The mind salivates when imagining the above being backed by Valve's bottomless pit of money.
That looks really cool. We need more games with space pirates.

nOoblet16

I'm sorry, but how can you be so sure of this? The game never came out, and I doubt that there's enough footage out there to make this determination.

I came into this thread knowing that this would happen. People projecting their "dream game" on cancelled titles. Somehow a cancelled game was a guaranteed game of the forever.
No because in this case there is more than enough evidence to prove.

1) The cyberpunk art design is a dream come true for any Bladerunner fan and rare in games even today...much less in a game with open ended hub based world.

2) The gameplay video showed shooting that had solid and punchy audio visual feedback. This is the first point in making a game feel good to play.

4) It till date remains the only FPS game I've seen that empowered players with that many abilities ranging from Mirror's Edge like parkour to cover shooting (which could be done even while hanging like Uncharted), taking hostage etc all the while having gadgets and level design (verticality) that complemented those abilities. This coupled up with the aforementioned punchy weapon feedback and demonstration that you could use these mechanics whenever and wherever you wanted it's easy to see how well it could have worked. It was really something unseen and special because FPS games don't even let you get off the ground.

5) In terms of graphics and art design there is enough evidence to prove it as well, the developers were doing things on PS360 that people wouldn't have seen until the current gen started, there are documents that prove this. For example they were using SSR on PS360. The developers have also gone to claim that they were confident that their title would have ended up as the most technically accomplished PS360 game ever made.

6) There's also the fact that the entire reason Bethesda tried to acquire Human Head studios was because they knew they struck gold with this game and wanted to lock down Human Head studios so that they could keep making sequels to this.

Borman

RE1.5 was restored by fans years ago. It's awesome.

Its still being restored.

The thing about Prey 2 is while Ive had team members say how open things were, I havent actually seen it myself. I believe them, but its important to remember how staged e3 demos actually are.

sarcoa

Virtua Fighter 3 for SEGA Saturn.
A not small number of people believe this exists twice as a product of two different (and apparently completed) attempts to port it to Saturn. I don't think any evidence extends beyond "some journalists at the time saw something in a room I don't know" but it's fun to think about.

One game I would love to play one day is Crash Landed

I'm happy Crash is back and we are getting the remakes next year (plus a solid cameo in Skylanders this fall) but it would be great to see the full version of Radical Entertainments take on Crash after the Titans games.
This is a good one!

It was a very interesting re-imagining for the Crash franchise that looked to have a lot of potential. Certainly more appropriate than the tatted-up Titan games Crash from a half decade back.

No because in this case there is more than enough evidence to prove.

1) The cyberpunk art design is a dream come true for any Bladerunner fan and rare in games even today...much less in a game with open ended hub based world.

2) The gameplay video showed shooting that had solid and punchy audio visual feedback. This is the first point in making a game feel good to play.

4) It till date remains the only FPS game I've seen that empowered players with that many abilities ranging from Mirror's Edge like parkour to cover shooting (which could be done even while hanging like Uncharted), taking hostage etc all the while having gadgets and level design (verticality) that complemented those abilities. This coupled up with the aforementioned punchy weapon feedback and demonstration that you could use these mechanics whenever and wherever you wanted it's easy to see how well it could have worked. It was really something unseen and special because FPS games don't even let you get off the ground.

5) In terms of graphics and art design there is enough evidence to prove it as well, the developers were doing things on PS360 that people wouldn't have seen until the current gen started, there are documents that prove this. For example they were using SSR on PS360. The developers have also gone to claim that they were confident that their title would have ended up as the most technically accomplished PS360 game ever made.

6) There's also the fact that the entire reason Bethesda tried to acquire Human Head studios was because they knew they struck gold with this game and wanted to lock down Human Head studios so that they could keep making sequels to this.

So no evidence, gut feeling, and projections..... All based on controlled marketing material, and no access to the game.

Most definitely the greatest game ever made.

DocSeuss

The guys behind Marathon: Infinity, the last installment in Bungie's first shooter series, were working on something called Duality, which is the best-looking 90s-era shooter I have ever seen.

I can't even find the old Gamespot screenshots anymore, which is infuriating.

There's quite a bit of footage, and it's fantastic.

The Alternate Reality sequels, you'd find these portals to the other games when playing The City, but only The Dungeon ever got released.

Close, but Soon~

http://www.crpgdev.com/

This topic is a hell of a forlorn nostalgia hit, but the general sentiment can be multiplied....thoroughly...if you take stock of failures to base fund and otherwise "real" projects on Kickstarter and IndieGoGo since games started to get traction on there.

I can't even begin to organize on that front, but it would probably amount to quite a list across the spectrum if enough people did a deep browsing dive back into the terribly organized heap...

One for the GC I think from back in the day: Raven Blade could've went places, if only.

I THINK there was going to be something else for One Must Fall , but the disastrous wake of Battlegrounds proved too damning...

Oneself

SH
Timesplitters 4
Rayman 4
Maximo 3 (the 2 first games are so perfect IMO)

And about Thrill Kill, I was pretty excited too. I had a modded PS1 at that time and could play copied games, betas etc. In the year following the cancellation, I had a copy of Thrill Kill (seemed final) and played quite a bit. My expectations were too high and it left me quite disappointed.

I also had a buggy beta of Soul Reaver with slightly different areas and many unfinished spots.

Strimei

I vaguely recall hearing that the Jedi Knight's story in SWTOR was salvaged from it. Not sure how true that is though, but it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they repurposed part of it, at least.

Enders Project/Zone of the Enders 3

7ffnSel.jpg

I was super excited for not only a continuation of ZOE, but Enders Project looked like it was gonna dive into the actual mythology of the series in which instead of piloting a mech, you were in an exo-suit type version of Jehuty. HyperBitHero made a great video about it.

Unfortunately, because of the botched HD remaster(Fuck you, High Voltage), Konami cancelled Enders Project, and effectively, the series. I'm still hoping KojiPro makes a spiritual successor after Death Stranding.

Yeah this is it for me. As happy as I am that Kojima's free to do what he wants (and as much as I do enjoy MGS, he is finally free of that damn franchise too), I still curse how long he took on it, and that botching the HD remaster and the resulting cancelling.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This one hurts pretty bad. The Jak and Daxter game ND scrapped before they started working on TLOU.

Maybe remembering that it was going to follow in the footsteps of Uncharted/The Last of Us and be more realistic than whimsical will help soothe the pain. For better or worse, it seems Naughty Dog is trapped in the wheelhouse it built for itself following the success of Drake's Fortune. We never did get Unkarted. :(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Xenosaga Episode 4. I really with this would have been made and not cancelled.
The original six episode vision for Xenosaga is something I'll occasionally think about before I fall asleep for a very long time. Especially because Xenogears was going to be Episode V.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Donkey Kong racing game teased for the GCN, all the Kirby titles that fizzled out between 64 and RTDL (especially the 3D one), and the 3DS Bomberman and Chocobo Racing sequels teased in the early 3DS demo reel that never materialized. The former seemed to die due to Konami buying out Hudson, but I don't know what happened to Chocobo Racing---such a shame, I loved the original PS1 Version.

jryeje29

Prey 2, PT Silent Hills, and Agent even though we never got to see it I just imagine what another huge Rockstar franchise would be like.

LycanXIII

I swear we have this thread at least two or three times every year ha ha but it's not a problem, it's an interesting topic. Anyway:

b142eaa86fdc491bb737cf82ffe9a1b2.png

Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned, it was basically Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag in the universe created by Disney, with some things inspired by Fable if I remember correctly. What a damn shame...

A guy that used to work for Disney Interactive was on Brandon Jones' final Toybox Tuesday and mentioned how several of the devs for that game went on to work for Ubisoft and those AC games.

opoth

Banned
It's weird, but I was obsessed with the Kemco Seika NES trilogy of Shadowgate/Deja Vu/Uninvited when I was a kid, I spent years hoping for a prototype of the Deja Vu 2 ROM to surface but I dont think it came close to being finished. The original PC version was a thing of course, and later it came to GBC but it wasn't the same...

Mario 128

Yea I know some interviews said it was a tech demo, others it was a n64dd game. Just would love to see what was made of mario 64-2 thats never been seen.

Top Bottom