• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What cancelled/unreleased game intrigues you the most?

ScOULaris

As someone who grew up in a time when we were drip-fed gaming news in the form of magazines that would hit newsstands or our mailboxes on a monthly basis, I've long held a fascination with vaporware/unreleased games. As a kid I'd see a preview for an upcoming game in EGM or GamePro that caught my interest, and then the months and years would roll on without that game ever seeing release. Whenever I'd come across a situation like this I always enjoyed going back to old issues of magazines to look at the only screenshots/info that remained of those unreleased games.

Nowadays we have sites like Unseen64 to act as preservation hubs for any and all information that we can drudge up about cancelled, unreleased, or beta versions of games. This is fantastic, IMO, and I really appreciate all the work that the Unseen64 collective has done over the years to preserve these ephemeral games that never came to fruition. They put out some really great video content these days as well, and they recently published a thick tome that physically preserves a metric ton of info on some of the most interesting lost games over the course of gaming history.

So I've always had certain cancelled games that always interested me the most, and I thought I'd pose the question to GAF as well to see what others think and maybe even stumble upon some interesting vaporware that I hadn't heard of before.

When I was young, without a doubt the game cancellation that was the most deeply felt by me at the time was Thrill Kill.

I was a child of the arcades during the early 90's, and I had a particular fondness for the Mortal Kombat series and all of the other violent fighting games that followed in the wake of MK's success. Blood and gore was a novel thing to be in gaming at the time, so I was naturally drawn to violent games. When the PS1 came onto the scene, it differentiated itself from its competitors by building a distinctly darker and edgier library right out the gate with titles like Twisted Metal appealing to an older audience. Being the blood-lover that I was, the very first game that I got with my PS1 in 1996 was Loaded.

tkillrestro.jpg
tkillcage2.jpg

Some of the earliest screenshots of Thrill Kill that were circulated to magazines at the time.

I think the first time that I saw mention of Thrill Kill was in an Ultra Game Players magazine, and the screenshots immediately caught my eye with their dark aesthetic and gobs of blood flying off of the characters. The preview was brief, but it mentioned that the characters would have dozens of fatalities, many of which were more detailed and gruesome than anything seen before. I was hyped.

tkillrestro2.jpg
tkillsewer.jpg

More early screenshots of Thrill Kill.

As the months rolled on, I'd read a few more previews with even more screenshots and fatality descriptions in magazines like PSM. After a while, the previews dried up and I stopped seeing any sign of the game in any publications. Eventually I came across a news piece in EGM where it was revealed that after Thrill Kill had been acquired by Electronic Arts they had decided to cancel the game as it was too violent to fit within their portfolio.

I was pissed, and even a year or so later when the game's engine would be used to create Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style it did little to quell my annoyance with EA for having cancelled such a promising looking game.

1117984-wutang4.png
1117995-wutang15.png

EA would later use the Thrill Kill engine to power their four-player fighting game Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style.

Thanks to the miracle of emulation, the beta version of Thrill Kill has been playable for some time now. Having played it myself in its unfinished form, I can't say that it would've changed the world had it actually released. My interest in the game was more for thematic/aesthetic reasons than anything else, but it will always remain the game cancellation that had the greatest impact on me because of how upset I was when I read that it had been cancelled.

Further Reading

Jingo

Star wars 1313, just based on that little teaser, it had the right setting to go for , rogue one style!

Famassu

Starcraft Ghost from now to eternity. I'm not quite sure what it was about the game, but I always really loved the trailer(s) and it was really high on my list of anticipated games. Still sad it never saw release. Even if it wouldn't have been the BESTESTEST game ever, I'd still would've loved to play it.

How Rare planned to build a game off the Donkey Kong Racing trailer they showed all those years ago will always intrigue me, the trailer shows something different to your usual racer in regards to character and vehicle (err....animal) sizes especially.

The brief snippets of what I think was to be its spiritual successor in Sabreman Stampede for the Xbox raises further questions, it definitely wasn't going to be as straightforward as Diddy Kong Racing 2 with wasps instead of planes.

Noctis-and-Stella-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-19853344-320-179.gif

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will always be this game for me.

Especially as the latest leak that gave us plot details on it sounded incredible (rumoured leak but whatever...it's probably true)

ScOULaris

Starcraft Ghost from now to eternity. I'm not quite sure what it was about the game, but I always really loved the trailer(s) and it was really high on my list of anticipated games. Still sad it never saw release. Even if it wouldn't have been the BESTESTEST game ever, I'd still would've loved to play it.
Oh, damn. That one might even give Thrill Kill a run for its money for me. I was so mad when Ghost faded to the point of official vaporware status.

stn

There was a Star Wars action game based around Darth Maul. I would have been all over it. Also, I remember looking forward to Frame City Killer for X360 back in the day.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Silent Hills by far.

I'd like to play Thrill Kill too, even though that leaked version of the game apparently is quite shite.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
1) Triad Wars/Smash and Grab from the Sleeping Dogs developers.

2) Frame City Killer by Namco

3) Lily Bergamo by Suda 51

4) That first person MegaMan Metroid-Prime-style looking game from ex retro developers.

The Agency (not Rockstar's The Agent) always seemed like a neat idea. It was a Sony Online Entertainment (now Daybreak) MMO where you joined a spy agency and competed against another. I remember in a gameplay video that one of the agency headquarters was in a flower shop and you pressed a button to reveal the secret entrance.

Kenaras

I used to attend monthly LAN parties for the original Quake. Some of the attendees were industry insiders, and for several months there was a Playstation setup in one of the rooms running a pre-release version of Thrill Kill. It was very popular and seemed almost complete; I was pretty shocked when it was canceled.

Zukkoyaki

I know it's recent but that Suicide Squad game from Warner Bros Montreal that was supposedly like a lot like Borderlands in terms of gameplay where you create your own anti-hero. Sounds amazing on paper.

8bit

Knows the Score
Agent (because Alpha Protocol showed how much fun a spy game could be.)

1313 (Not sure if want, but curious.)

The Megatree.

Ahasverus

Silent Hillls was one of my wet dreams.

- My second favorite series, Silent Hill? Check.
- Gaming greatest visionaire, Hideo kojima? Check.
- One of the world's most interesting film diectors, Guilelrmo Del toro? Check.
- The greatest demo of all time? Fucking check.

But then FucKonami happened. Damn, Konami killed my two favorite franchise. Please, Rockstar, never get bad.

Gren

Capcom Fighting All-Stars.

Good or bad, it was looked like a better effort at an all-Capcom crossover game than CFE was.

Stevey

I had a copy of Thrill Kill for my Playstation, used to take it to school and we'd play it in the common room at dinner.
Dr Faustus was my main.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Silent Hillls was one of my wet dreams.

- My second favorite series, Silent Hill? Check.
- Gaming greatest visionaire, Hideo kojima? Check.
- One of the world's most interesting film diectors, Guilelrmo Del toro? Check.
- The greatest demo of all time? Fucking check.

But then FucKonami happened. Damn, Konami killed my two favorite franchise. Please, Rockstar, never get bad.

This, I'm so not into horror but P.T. intrigued me so much I was hyped for SH.

Recall

I still have my PS1 gold disc of Thrill Kill.

The planned AKI WCW game before they were sold to WWE and AKI went the Def Jam route.

I'm not sure why since we know so little about it, but the Marvel 2099: One Nation Under Doom game that EGM covered a couple times in the 90's is ALWAYS the first thing that comes to mind for me when this question is asked.

nOoblet16

Prey 2: The Thread

Open world Bladerunner bounty hunting game. Much like how people cursed Fox for dropping Firefly people will curse Bethesda for doing shady shit no matter how much they deny it and blame the "quality" of the tittle as justification.

This game would have been undoubtedly a masterpiece with amazing visuals for its time, great art design and gameplay...and it's something that everyone knew...including Bethesda.

I would love for Unseen64 to do a detailed piece on this but I doubt Bethesda will ever cough up anything about this fuck up.

3tskGS8h.jpg

SuomiDude

Secret of Mana for Super Nintendo CD system, which was scrapped and we got the slightly smaller SNES version instead. Still the best console RPG ever, but I've always wanted to see the "full" game with more areas and probably enemies and, well everything.

Sesha

Silent Hills
City of Metronome
Kurayami
Silent Hill: Cold Heart (turned into Silent Hill: Shuttered Mammaries)
inSANE

In that order.

Agartha for the Dreamcast was one that I always thought looked really cool. Was hoping it would be repurposed for the GC/PS2 when the DC died but nothing. Also those early Retro games (RavenBlade, Thunder Rally) before Nintendo reorganized the company around Metroid Prime, and Too Human back when it was a cool looking cyberpunk cross between Metal Gear Solid and Blade Runner. Not sure if they would have been any good but I would have liked to have seen how they'd end up turning out.

Syril

Marble Madness was one of my favorite games of my early childhood so I was devastated to find out that there's an unreleased Marble Madness II that I'll probably never play.

Top Bottom