• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What characterized the 80s?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
FrighteningFalseAuklet-size_restricted.gif
whitegirldance.gif
I saw this same dance in a fucking chinese gacha boat game
unironically based

NikuNashi

Enough Hairspray to destroy the Ozone layer.
Neon.
Michael Jackson.
Smokey arcades with older kids.
Robocop.
Video game 'stores' that were unique, hard to find, ran by people with a passion, full of unknown treasures waiting to be excavated.

Edit: I miss my childhood :(

Last edited:

GV82

I was born in 82, so some the best stuff in the 80’s I didn’t know existed until I was older, Movies like The Thing, Evil Dead etc I wasn’t even aware of because my parents never bothered with those in particular The Thing was critically slammed & Evil Dead was a Video nasty here in the UK so it was hard to get ahold of.

All the Hard Rock/Metal Albums releases for example, Number of The Beast, Back in Black, Holy Diver, Ace of Spades, Peace Sells, Master of Puppets etc, I also wasn’t aware of, although I had seen album covers by some of these & other rock n Metal bands because my dad had some on tape.

But I was aware & had seen parts of the following Horror movies

Aliens, Nightmare on Elm Street 2, & I knew who Jason was, back then my aunt used to let my cousin watch them & not give a shit & I would see parts of these movies until they freaked me out & I left the room, also my dad collected Movie Novels & my parents rented out a lot of vhs horror so I became familiar with a lot of the characters through second hand exposure in the magazines rental stores used to give out for free.

Music wise it was whatever was on Top of the Pops or MTV or the radio it was usually chart stuff but occasionally some rock songs would chart like Jump by Van Halen or Run DMC/Aerosmith would be on mtv & you’d be aware of them, otherwise it was songs like big in Japan, or Gary Numan or whatever pop my mum liked like kylie minogue, bananarama etc.

we had early Sky TV in the UK, lucky enough to have it installed around 87 or 88 so I saw a lot of shit my friends never saw like we’d watch Robocop the Cartoon series (in German no less) MTV so we saw music videos others never new existed until years later etc but then all the 80’s cartoons on regular TV we’d watch as well, everything from Bravestarr to Gummy Bears, Inspector Gadget to Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends & everything else in between me and my sister watched them all.

I need to stop here because I remember too much of the 80’s and I was only 7 in 1989, yet I could write a ton more. That’s the thing Without The Internet we consumed so much more pop culture things & I remember so much more that happened, we’d wake up at 6 or 7am to watch TV all morning until our friends called round at 10am usually then play outside until tea time 4pm during the weekends & summer holidays but even schooldays we’d come home at 3:30pm & watch cartoons & TV Until bed Unless we went outside.

Well, it was the time of my all-time favorite musicians, Michale Jackson, and Maddona. Besides, it was a fashion revolution when people started wearing clothes of bright colors, add various accessories, and clutch to their outfits. Girls' make up got way brighter than before.
I also framed some of the pictures from those times. I have a picture of my mom wearing those fancy bright clothes and her brother in his high-school jersey jacket.

The threat of nuclear war
Great Arnie movies
Awesome rap music
Ghostbusters
Transformers cartoon
Terrible fashion
Cool fashion if you could afford it
Racism (in the UK)
Margaret Thatcher
My school years

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The early 80's were a time of great optimism and a throwing off of the shackles of the grim and dysfunctional 70's. Unfortunately as the decade wore on the downsides of this great capitalistic explosion became apparent.

People who talk about how bad the 80's were need to look hard at the previous decade to understand the actual reality of how people felt at the time.

Nah. I still enjoy silent films. You don't really need any context. Who the fuck wants to watch shows from these days stuffed with political shit, current events and memes? It'll all be unwatchable and dated as fuck. Even stuff from like a year or two ago is already dated.

You are all about dem Memes, Brap.

Regarding 80s chicks being into Jocks. Most of those chicks and jocks these days are uglier, fatter and are poorer than those geeks who either got shredded, make loads of money from their high positioning jobs or havr a healthy stable life from learning from past experiences that the pretty ones end up taking the wrong path.

Bet those chicks wished they had a geek now.

Last edited:

drganon

Has anyone made the " it's the eighties, do a lot of coke and vote for Ronald Reagan " joke yet? If not, here ya go.

The early 80's were a time of great optimism and a throwing off of the shackles of the grim and dysfunctional 70's. Unfortunately as the decade wore on the downsides of this great capitalistic explosion became apparent.

People who talk about how bad the 80's were need to look hard at the previous decade to understand the actual reality of how people felt at the time.

Give me the early 90s back. I've mentioned several times that I would trade modern technology for the affordability of living in the 90s in a heartbeat.

Raven117

What the breakfast club captures correctly about the 80s is that it was a time of power and conformity. There was a set way to be in the "in group." If you were not like that, you were a nerd and an outcast. Not like a nerd today, like actually an outcast. You had actual subcultures develop like punk, gaming nerds, D&D nerds, metal, all that stuff. And it was all very underground.
Totally this. (And i was a jock because I recognized the social benefit, but I was a secret nerd....) In a way, its better that more groups have gained acceptance, but with that acceptance the feeling of counter culture is lost making what was forged in spite of social pressure, special.

cryptoadam

Banned
Give me the early 90s back. I've mentioned several times that I would trade modern technology for the affordability of living in the 90s in a heartbeat.

90's>80's all day every day.

90's ruled. It was kinda weired where it was overly optimistic, but pessimistic at the same time. Times were good, DotCom boom, fall of the Berlin wall, peace in the mid east. Yet we had all kinds of grungy music and thug rap.

Maybe people knew back then that it would be the last great decade and that the future was going to bleak. The optimisim was for the great time we were having back then, but we knew that it couldn't last and the new millenium wasn't going to be the same.

mekes

Some Of my favourite horror movies are from the 80s. Fright Night, The Thing, The Fly to name a few.

I don’t think the 80s did much for fashion, but everything else seemed pretty great.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sacked out on the futon in my parachute pants and mesh t-shirt, drinking wine coolers while watching MTV. Feet propped up on a stack of Byte magazines, thinking about giving Aztec another go on the Apple IIe. Then again it is Sunday so I can go over to the Twin Cinema and catch one of the Friday the 13th movies for $2. Living the dream.

You can keep your shiny consoles with 150GB games, if I had a time machine I'd go back to the 80's, back to an era where I could spend more time with Mattel Football II and a Rubik's Cube than I did with the last console I bought.

Last edited:

Liljagare

If you lived in the Ohio/Michigan area, Put-in-Bay. That place and all those wierd, little out of the way vacation spots advertised by road sign that you always wanted to see as a kid but never got to go such as "Deer Park" or "See the world's largest ball of mud!".

Also:
Dj Cat
Romantic goth fashion
Long, leather coats
Fear of nuclear explosions (especially after Chernobyl)
banana clips
synth drums
saxophone solos

Last edited:
Top Bottom