• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you consider Nintendo's most illogical or baffling decision?

Exquisik

Pretty sure someone already said this but the limited production of the NES Classic, and now the non-production of the NES Classic. Why Nintendo? Why?!

No you weren't. Regardless of whether streetpass was on/off, the battery drained faster in sleep mode like a mofo.

Wait, you're saying that by the very virtue of existing, Streetpass drains the 3DS battery in sleep mode, even when both it and wifi are off? Do you have any source supporting that assertion or is this just a conspiracy theory?

Mr.Fox

Wait, you're saying that by the very virtue of existing, Streetpass drains the 3DS battery in sleep mode, even when both it and wifi are off? Do you have any source supporting that assertion or is this just a conspiracy theory?

I have an Old 3DS, and tested it myself, it's true, sleep mode practically saves no energy at all, you are better off just turning off the power altogether. It's beyond lame, I loved the PSP sleep mode, I could pause any game at any time, let it sleep for days, then come back to it instantly and the battery would still be at practically the same charge.

Nizz

Pretty sure someone already said this but the limited production of the NES Classic, and now the non-production of the NES Classic. Why Nintendo? Why?!
Yep, can't think of a more WTF decision right now than this. I was excited to get my hands on one and revisit the fun I had back in the day. It's unbelievable that they decided to just stop production. I'm pretty pissed off honestly.

MikeyB

This has pissed me off enough that I will not consider buying another Nintendo product. That will probabpy fade over a dozen years or so, but I struggle to think of another non-luxury consumer goods manufacturer that would end production of an overwhelmingly popular product in this way.

Hilarion

The NES Classic decision is insane. The only explanation I can think of is that they're going to launch an NES Classic 2 with a different set of 30 games or something...and that'd be a bad decision as well because you'd be hard-pressed to find 30 NES games worth owning without looking at the 30 in the current NES Classic.

I'd argue that the most damaging decisions were failing to distinguish their Gen 8 products, the 3DS and the Wii U, enough from their Gen 7 predecessors. It took forever for it to be generally accepted that the 3DS was significantly stronger than the DS or really different in any way other than the 3D screen, and the Wii U was perceived as a controller add-on for the Wii for the longest time. I liked both of those systems, partially for their backwards compatibility (the 3DS' library is magnificent when you consider it has classic games from 2004-present that will all run natively), but their images were too closely tied to their predecessors.

-taking a decade after their peers to implement an account system not tied to consoles

-initially not bringing over the non-XL model of the N3DS and using consumer choice as an excuse (???)

-offering what are essentially demos of VC games as incentive for subscribing to Switch's online service

-what happened to the paper mario series

Drain You

-initially not bringing over the non-XL model of the N3DS and using consumer choice as an excuse (???)

And even when they did wasn't it only the Animal Crossing and Pokemon Limited Editions at first? I bought the Pokemon one just cause I couldn't resist, but they def should have brought the regular one over sooner.

EulaCapra

Wii U name.

At least the Wii name circa 2006 shut naysayers like me, and the 3DS name confusion at least made sense with the 3D implementation. But to have such piss poor marketing up until Mario Kart 8 here in the States with a non-focus-tested name like "Wii U," it was such a new low.

Thankfully NoA has been pouring way more money in with the Switch media campaign.

Alienfan

Pretty much every descion they've made with the switch.

No back up saves, no Internet browser,smart phone app for voice chat, making one inferior joycon, storage capacity, friend codes. Things that Microsoft or Sony would be hung for, but Nintendo get away with it because "Nintendo". I love my Switch, but God damn they made some terrible choices

Jubenhimer

Pretty much every descion they've made with the switch.

No back up saves, no Internet browser,smart phone app for voice chat, making one inferior joycon, storage capacity, friend codes. Things that Microsoft or Sony would be hung for, but Nintendo get away with it because "Nintendo". I love my Switch, but God damn they made some terrible choices
It's too early to write some of these things off.
* Back up saves could always come later in a system update, as can an internet browser.

* Let's wait and see what this Smartphone app does before we jump to conclusions.

* The Joy-Con has been fixed.

* While the Switch could've used more than 32 GB as a starter, you can use a micro SD card

* The Friend Code system is not the same as it was back in the Wii and DS era. You and the other person don't need to enter the code at the same time, you just type in the code, and send them a friend request. Plus, you have other options for making friends so it's not like you're forced to use it.

This is pretty obvious tbf- they're historically a very conservative company and very very careful with how they spend their money. They wanted to release a gift item for christmas, but they didn't want unsold stock taking up warehouse and retail space, especially when the Switch was imminent, so they calculated how much they were likely to sell, and that's how many NES Minis they manufactured.

Unfortunately for them, the NES Mini was an unexpected success, and lots of people were left disappointed. But they'd almost certainly planned when they were going to discontinue the NES Mini before they'd even announced it. I doubt they have that much interest in manufacturing more at the moment, when their only focus should be building the Switch brand on the back of a successful launch.

Nintendo have done some really stupid things, but I don't really think the NES Mini thing is one of them.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but going with carts for the N64 when the market was moving to CD. They had their business reasons for it but it can be argued that they were short sided and quite illogical. Imagine the N64 as a CD based machine. Might not have mattered as a strong introduction by Sony meant devs and publishers no longer had to abide by Nintendo and their iron fist policies but you can only imagine the full capabilities of that system being realized had the storage medium not been so constricted if even for just 1st party games.

Selling RARE to Microsoft. That was so crazy to me. Then they turned/were shit so I guess they knew exactly what they were doing. Selling Microsoft a shell of a company.

I'm not sure that anything can top the way they handled the Wii-U in my eyes. The naming confusion, poor software support, confusing SKU choices (basic vs. deluxe) and a number of other factors were just about as terrible as you can get. The Wii-U wasn't all bad, but it certainly got more wrong than it did right.

Can we speculate on what's gonna be the next baffling decision?

Because I stand my ground on the next pokemon & / or Animal Crossing being 3DS exclusive.

foltzie1

Can we speculate on what's gonna be the next baffling decision?

Because I stand my ground on the next pokemon & / or Animal Crossing being 3DS exclusive.

The next Pokemon may well launch first on the 3DS systems, no reason not to ship that title for the most systems. But there is too much smoke on the fire regarding the higher quality assets that they aren't heading to the Switch at some point.

Sponge

Banned
Selling RARE to Microsoft. That was so crazy to me. Then they turned/were shit so I guess they knew exactly what they were doing. Selling Microsoft a shell of a company.

Rare had quite a few good games on Xbox like Ghoulies, Kameo and Viva Pinata. Problem is the audience for these games are not on Xbox. The Stamper Brothers made a huge mistake selling to Microsoft.

foltzie1

This isn't baffling. Nintendo only owned a 49% stake in Rare. When Microsoft offered the 51% stakeholders of Rare hundreds of millions of dollars Nintendo would have had to beat the offer, co-own Rare with Microsoft, or agree to sell their shares as well.

The took the third option and bought Retro Studios for $1M.

Now why Nintendo didn't purchase Rare outright years earlier. . . No idea.

The period of time when they tried to compete more directly with PS and MS. They did much better after they got through that rough patch.

BojLy8o.jpg

daTRUballin

Yeah because we definitely know for sure how bad Rare's future with Nintendo would be. It surely would've been as bad as with Microsoft, amirite?

Also, Rare was clearly a shell of its former self before MS got their hands on them, right? Duh.

This isn't baffling. Nintendo only owned a 49% stake in Rare. When Microsoft offered the 51% stakeholders of Rare hundreds of millions of dollars Nintendo would have had to beat the offer, co-own Rare with Microsoft, or agree to sell their shares as well.

The took the third option and bought Retro Studios for $1M.

Now why Nintendo didn't purchase Rare outright years earlier. . . No idea.

That's actually false. Retro was bought a few months before Rare was sold. I don't know why people keep believing the opposite. In fact, most gamers tend to be misinformed when it comes to anything Rare at all. Like that post I was replying to above.

The day Nintendo decided not to CARE about the gamers that made them what they are and simply starting to do anything to simply make a sale. Gimping their machine to be so dirt cheap and not caring if their games look 2 gens behind cause ya $$$. They dont care about the gamer they put making $ first and gamers last. The passion in making a great console is gone at Nintendo.

All they care about is money, trying to go for the Wii phenomenon again simply shows that Nintendo doesnt care if the console is great their IP's make people buy games. They make good games hell yes but their systems are simply outdated. It's all for the money with them and gamers come last.

The switch is great if you consider it just a handheld and i love it. But it's not a console in my eyes even if i can dock it to show on tv.

Long story short, many bad decisions but they seem to be getting out of that hole now. They just learned it the hard way with the Wii U.

None of this is fact you fanboys it is simply an opinion.

/Ready the flameshield and anal protector up.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The day Nintendo decided not to CARE about the gamers that made them what they are and simply starting to do anything to simply make a sale. Gimping their machine to be so dirt cheap and not caring if their games look 2 gens behind cause ya $$$. They dont care about the gamer they put making $ first and gamers last. The passion in making a great console is gone at Nintendo.

All they care about is money, trying to go for the Wii phenomenon again simply shows that Nintendo doesnt care if the console is great their IP's make people buy games. They make good games hell yes but their systems are simply outdated. It's all for the money with them and gamers come last.

The switch is great if you consider it just a handheld and i love it. But it's not a console in my eyes even if i can dock it to show on tv.

Long story short, many bad decisions but they seem to be getting out of that hole now. They just learned it the hard way with the Wii U.

The conventional Nintendo console is dead, and it's the best thing they've ever done.

If you want a powerful console buy one with power as its selling point, not one with a completely different selling point.

And if this evil company doesn't care about gamers and is all about the money, then stop giving them yours.

the wii hardware being a repackaged GC with motion controls. i know it worked out for them, it baffling in the sense that they didn't wanna compete as a traditional console, basically giving up on most third-party support because of the hardware choice.

Jubenhimer

Understandable if you don't like Nintendo's current direction. But claiming they're evil and only care about money simply because they decided not to use the most powerful hardware is one of the most laughable conspiracy theories ever created. Neither Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo care about you. They care about consumers, but not you specifically. They're a business, the whole point is to make money.

Top Bottom