• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you consider Nintendo's most illogical or baffling decision?

In light of Nintendo's recent announcement that they are discontinuing the NES Classic Mini, despite unfulfilled demand, and given Nintendo's long history of making baffling decisions, this thread is to ask: what is Nintendo's craziest decision? Which one can't be explained by the logic the rest of the world uses?

Let's not get hung up on the NES Classic. Nintendo hasn't, and presumably won't, say what their reasoning was, but at least there are some reasonable guesses. Read all about them in the thread about the announcement.

Another popular choice would probably be their decision to use cartridges in the Nintendo 64. But again, we can see a trail of causality there: they burned bridges with Sony and Phillips, who would have been the manufacturer of the CD drive at the time. It wasn't an inexplicable decision, even if it was a costly one for them.

Here's my favorite: Nintendo's bizarre reluctance to support component cables.

So Nintendo makes the Gamecube support 480p video via component, and every Gamecube game they make during its life, minus one, supports that standard (many 3rd party games did not support 480p). But they only sell the component cable online, and in limited quantities.

A couple years later, they remove the connection port for the cable from newly manufactured Gamecubes, citing that "less that 5% of owners are using component cables".

A self-fulfilling prophecy!

An interesting postscript to that story: Nintendo originally announced that Wii component cables would only be sold online. Read all about the confusion and GAF members' attempts to secure one, when Nintendo first put them up for sale, in this thread.

I was one of those Gaffers, and I got one. So did my friend, who I alerted to the situation. He paid for faster shipping. I didn't. And, indeed, you can see my posts in the thread wondering why his showed up as shipped before mine did. I didn't know at the time that he chose faster shipping.

But, as it turns out, they arrived the same day; his had actually been sent the day after mine. So he called Nintendo, wondering why he paid more money. Their answer is priceless. They told him - I kid you not - "We send out the slower ones first, because they take longer to get there. We send the overnight ones the next day. They don't take as long to get there, so everyone will get their orders sooner."

That's right, folks: Nintendo seems to think people pay for faster shipping because they want a faster transit time, not an earlier arrival.

SimonM7

I mean... Naming the 3DS the 3DS and naming the Wii U the Wii U was asking for the most bafflingly obvious confusion possible.

Everything about Federation Force still baffles me. It's been years since the last metroid game that fans have been clamoring for and that was the best thing you could come up with?

MrBadger

The way they're super restrictive with the modern Mario RPG's, insisting on every character being a Toad or some generic Mario baddie. I don't know what they have to gain from deliberately making their games blander.

Region lock on consoles from the Gameube and onwards (it was also unfortunately on the 3DS). The N64 and SNES were region locked but at least it was way easier to circumvent. The component cable situation is right under it in my opinion.

Game wise, the Paper Mario franchise and Smash take the cake. I would love another TTYD esque game and with the Smash games after Melee I feel like the games took 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Your component cable story is pretty funny, what a dumb thing to do.

They make a lot of bone headed decisions, though I'm sure you could make a similar thread for Microsoft (RROD, Xbone reveal) and Sony ($599, PSTV).

To contribute, the GameCube minidiscs were a really dumb idea. Didn't do much to stop piracy, made multiplats more of a pain then necessary. They are cute though!

Pinky

Banned
I'd say N64 going with cartridges. That was a huge turn off to third-parties and gave Sony a huge advantage with the PS1. Still loved the system, but man...

jobrro

Maybe going from region free on all handhelds (GameBoy, GBC, GBA, DS) to region locked on DSi enhanced titles and 3DS. Thankfully Switch is back to region free.

Waiting so long to bring Xenoblade worldwide is up there. It's always a tad confusing when companies localise their games into English and then ignore major English speaking countries. Atlus used to do that a lot in Europe until Deep Silver saved us.

I guess that ties in with region locking.

Makonero

Constantly doubling down on Japan despite it being a dying marketplace and all the real money being in the west.

what an enlightened and not at all western-centric viewpoint

nintendo's most baffling decision has to be not capitalizing on the mania for NES classic and really going all out to service that particular audience

my girlfriend who doesn't play games and got bored with snipperclips has asked me repeatedly about getting the NES classic because to her, those are the real video games.

wii sports club was a pretty baffling way to do a third wii sports game. wii sports 1 remastered, released 1 game at a time over many months.

or making nintendoland the wiiU's flagship party game at launch. let's keep all those expanded audience customers whose defining trait is not being typical nintendo fans by.... releasing cute nintendo minigames? i love nintendoland and this still baffles me

Waiting so long to bring Xenoblade worldwide is up there. It's always a tad confusing when companies localise their games into English and then ignore major English speaking countries. Atlus do used to do that a lot in Europe until Deep Silver saved us.
That's another good one, especially considering how important of a development house Monolithsoft seems to be for them. Why leave your expensive first-party RPG in Japan?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
PAL games on the Virtual Console. Like a lot of games were shit, even shittier than they were on original hardware. Take Super Mario Bros on Europe VC, on the Wii at least, it ran way too fast.

How in the fuck did that get the OK?

I like the novelty of the GameCube mini-discs but at the end of the day it's such a monkey's paw scenario. Prevented the GCN from working as a DVD or CD player too.

Waiting so long to bring Xenoblade worldwide is up there. It's always a tad confusing when companies localise their games into English and then ignore major English speaking countries. Atlus used to do that a lot in Europe until Deep Silver saved us.

The Wii was also losing steam badly by 2011 so it was also kind of anti-productive to just twiddle their thumbs regarding localizations that were already done.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sticking with carts
Mini-discs
Treating 3rd parties like garbage
NES Classic supply

I mean that last one was just printing money for them.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I mean... Naming the 3DS the 3DS and naming the Wii U the Wii U was asking for the most bafflingly obvious confusion possible.

The Wii U name will never be topped. It was so stupid, I think someone purposefully wanted to sabotage it.

I'm also still annoyed Mortal Kombat had sweat.

Going for 3D and different sized screens with the 3DS. 3D has brought little to nothing gameplay wise and the different sized screens prevented developers from using the touch screen as the main one which was a strong point of several DS titles. And they could have gone for a better IQ if they hadn't implemented 3D.

Zedark

Lol did OP just get a tag for this or was the tag redirected to this thread?

On topic - n64 + cartridges was a pretty hot topic for arguments
I think it was redirected - unless he got the rag 3 seconds after making the thread (which is when I quote him). Pretty fun regardless!

Taking 20 years to realize that Zelda games should be open-world games when the rest of the industry had turned open-world games into the new hotness, akin to the status FPSs had last generation.

After specifically railing against open-world games as not being what people really wanted.

even though Zelda was a pioneer in open-world games

Seik

Banned

This.

EDIT: and PAL games on VC too, that was fucked up. :lol

They told him - I kid you not - "We send out the slower ones first, because they take longer to get there. We send the overnight ones the next day. They don't take as long to get there, so everyone will get their orders sooner."

That's right, folks: Nintendo seems to think people pay for faster shipping because they want a faster transit time, not an earlier arrival.

Wot

Quick tag btw

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The move from resistive touch screens to capactive touch screens on the Nintendo Switch.

I'm gonna miss the accuracy of a stylus. I can't imagine playing stuff like Kirby's Canvas Curse/Rainbow Curse, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, and Art Academy with my big stubby fingers instead of an elegant input device.

Not putting GBA games on 3DS Virtual Console and GameCube games on Wii U Virtual Console despite both systems supporting them natively.

The standard 3DS hardware doesn't have the horsepower to emulate the GBA.

Makonero

another baffling choice: they kneecapped themselves on wiiware with both memory restrictions and other stupid regulations that were hostile to indies

even today people still have this idea of nintendo as backward with indies when they're one of the most indie-friendly platforms around

all because of initial missteps that could have easily been avoided

Teppic

PAL games on the Virtual Console. Like a lot of games were shit, even shittier than they were on original hardware. Take Super Mario Bros on Europe VC, on the Wii at least, it ran way too fast.

Mario ran that fast on original hardware. Not that I think they should have gone with PAL games.

for me its a tie between the N64 going with carts, and the GC's lack of DVD playback. At the time these decisions confounded Nintendo apologists and analysts a like, as well as hurt Nintendo's relevance in to such a degree that it's still being felt to this day.

Tripping in Smash Bros. Brawl and Nintendo/Sakurai's stubborn insistence that it would be a party game no matter what most fans wanted

And then doing a 180 when it came to competitive Smash when 4 came out

Taker666

Lack of remasters across the board.

They could make a bunch of money giving some of their classic 2D games some new HD art...or giving a bunch of their GC/Wii/3DS games a resolution boost if nothing else.

Yep and I can't remember if this was Virtual Console or PSX classics but I remember a company redid one of their games in 50hz to be authentic to PAL audiences (I'll come back to you when I remember which game it was). Both Sony and Nintendo were guilty of 50hz rereleases for way too long.

Not putting GBA games on 3DS Virtual Console and GameCube games on Wii U Virtual Console despite both systems supporting them natively.

I mean they supported them natively but that was just because of the architecture. Nintendo probably would have wanted them to be emulated in order to not lock down the system and prevent users from accessing Miiverse, the internet browser, controller/screen settings, etc. GameCube on the Wii U probably would have been pretty bad anyways, as there really isn't a good alternative to using analog triggers. I'm not even gonna go into about the power the systems lacked to emulate lol

Top Bottom