• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you consider Nintendo's most illogical or baffling decision?

Fisty

"LOL yeah right, go ahead and make your own console Sony heh heh"

"Squaresoft wants to make the next Final Fantasy on the Playstation? Well fuck em then"

They literally created their biggest competitor because of greed and their ego

Releasing Xenoblade as a GAMESTOP EXCLUSIVE, like two years after its Japanese release. It was their best Wii game and they didn't care. Of course, now they're acting like they've cared about the IP all along.

They also gave Pandora's Tower and The Last Story, two excellent and underrated games, to third party distributors because they didn't want to localize them themselves.

NOA used to be straight up garbage. I'd say right up until the Bayonetta 2 era.

Jury's still out for me on the bolded.

yomer

Neo Member
The lack of analogue triggers on the Switch. Not the worst, but I'm still dumbfounded by this decision.

I really wanted VR to happen this gen for Nintendo. Sony is doing it, MS will do it with the Scorpio. The ultimate experience would be a VR Metroid Prime-esque game.

malfcn

The constant bungling of JP/EU/JP differences
Supply vs demand and accessory peddling
Technology choices

But they make damn fine games.

killatopak

The Wii U? Virtual Boy? Removing Streetpass? Friend Codes? Etc.

It's hard to pick one but of I had to choose then Friend Codes.

Lol did OP just get a tag for this or was the tag redirected to this thread?

On topic - n64 + cartridges was a pretty hot topic for arguments

My tag's several years old. I got it, I recall, while arguing against publishers whining over used games. But the link on it's never worked correctly. It used to go to the list of Neogaf site users, or just to the main site page. If it goes to this thread now, so be it.

Selling Rare (the ips, anyway. I get why they sold off the scraps that remained of the talent) and not making an effort to hold onto the shooter and racing markets they built on the N64

"Squaresoft wants to make the next Final Fantasy on the Playstation? Well fuck em then"

Actually yeah this is the real answer.

Neff

Calling the Wii U the Wii U, after the precedent of releasing endless games and peripherals for Wii with the 'Wii' prefix, and revealing it by showing a white tablet which looked exactly like every peripheral for Wii ever... it's hard to top. I have no idea how they thought it wouldn't cause immense confusion.

It's easy to think this, but all they really lost was market share in the console space. They still made an absolute ton of money, more than Sony during this era in fact.

HeeHo

Voice chat through a smartphone app. Fucking friend codes.

I am not usually as bothered by Nintendo as others are sometimes, but this will be one that really gets me if it truly ends up this way. I don't have or currently want a smartphone, so I'll be SOL if this really is a thing.

True Fire

Jury's still out for me on the bolded.

We're actually getting obscure Japanese games now, so at least they're trying.

I'd say that the turning point for NOA was when Iwata took over in 2013ish. Reggie is stubborn as a mule and none of his business decisions make a lick of sense. His obsession over limiting DS colours in particular was pathetic.

Makonero

Going all out for the NES classic with the. NEw console just 3 months away that's going to replace their 2nd biggest failure would be the most baffling Nintendo thing ever

the fanbase that is interested in the NES classic isn't the exact same as the one they're trying to get with the switch

plus, $300 vs $60 or whatever the NES classic was. Different markets, different audience.

spekkeh

Banned
Boy it's a long list, going cartridge, making their consoles intentionally difficult to develop for third parties, mini DVDs, creating a purple lunchbox after the competition painted them into a kiddie corner, consolidating in Japan when it was slumping, but most of these things were sort of explainable from their point of view.

The only thing that was momentously stupid and unexplainable, was whatever the fuck they were doing 2008-2011. They had two global mainstream phenomena, the fastest selling consoles, a shitton of money and the first time ever gaming was seen positively by the world at large, and they did fuck all with it. Didn't commit to fitness, didn't commit to expanding the motion gaming, apparently weren't preparing for HD development. Just sat there with their dicks in their hands watching support fall off a cliff. Miyamoto probably got cocky and shot everything down to make Wii Music happen. How you go from that to Wii U certainly is something.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
1) By far and away would be Nintendo's utterly bizarre decision to go through a FIFTEEN YEAR period before they decided to make another 2D Mario platformer despite them being among the best selling games in video games history.

2) Second most baffling thing: seeing that the Gamecube was in deep shit, in dire need for some major world beating game, and instead of working on the next Mario platformer, they go with...Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat.

3) Third, though also could be tied with no. 2 is Nintendo's flabbergasting decision to sit on their ass for SEVEN YEARS for the sequel to their best selling game on the GC, SSBM. I mean, the subject of a sequel didn't even pop up until at least FOUR YEARS later. No preliminary work, no nothing. The higher ups were just sitting around and scratching their balls all this time.

Nintendo's handling of sequels in general in many cases is just incredibly confusing. I mean, I understand not bothering to do something on F-Zero since while it may be a great series, it sells like crap. But they tend to fuck around even with wildly, ridiculously successful games for almost no discernible reason.

I'd say N64 going with cartridges. That was a huge turn off to third-parties and gave Sony a huge advantage with the PS1. Still loved the system, but man...

Nintendo's decision to stick with cartridges absolutely made sense...at the time. Sure, in hindsight everyone probably wonders what they were thinking, but remember, Nintendo was making a killing charging third parties for cartridge production. It sucked for them, but it was great for Nintendo. Furthermore, Nintendo had no idea that they would have so many people jump ship, especially to a fledgeling newcomer.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I actually kinda like being pushed to use different weapons otherwise I'd probably just stick with the master sword or whatever all the time, but I do think it could've been done better.

Yeah, I don't consider it game-breaking and it encourages you to use everything/preserve others things but I wouldn't have been so aggressive with the way it's implemented. As it stands it is a bit of an annoyance and the game would be more enjoyable with some adjustments.

Like the rain as well, apart from where it's triggered deliberately they shouldn't be trying to replicate the UK's weather so much.

120v

definitely cartridges n64... single pinpoint in history where nintendo forfeited the crown. when gaming wasn't "playing nintendo" anymore

who knows how things would've played out with a "nintendo playstation" but things would be waaaay different today either way

nynt9

Their refusal to make sequels to games by reusing the same formula that works... except for all the times they do.

They always hide behind Miyamoto's ideology of "we already made that game, we don't need to make an iterative sequel, we must change the formula up" but then we get Mario Galaxy 2, 3D World, Mario party and kart series overall, and more.

AzerPhire

Anything to do with online infrastructure; friends code, no voice chat, parties, etc.

How in 2017 they still do not hav things that the original Xbox got right is baffling.

Fisty

It's easy to think this, but all they really lost was market share in the console space. They still made an absolute ton of money, more than Sony during this era in fact.

I guess its a good thing Nintendo doesnt make consoles then? I mean, i dont get why its "only" market share. Sony's lowest selling console of all time was pretty damn close to the Wii at the end of the day, and Sony has absolutely demolished them in console sales in every other gen. Even the PSP was pretty close to the DS. Vita I'll grant you was a flop but it's turned into a Dreamcast scenario where the fanbase is diehard and the library is amazing.

Also there is absolutely no goddamn way Nintendo made more money than Sony in gen 5.

Chris R

I'm just going to put out the Virtual Console as a whole.

Terrible that the Wii just didn't have every NES/SNES/N64 game available on it within 2 years of launching.

Makonero

I guess its a good thing Nintendo doesnt make consoles then? I mean, i dont get why its "only" market share. Sony's lowest selling console of all time was pretty damn close to the Wii at the end of the day, and Sony has absolutely demolished them in console sales in every other gen. Even the PSP was pretty close to the DS. Vita I'll grant you was a flop but it's turned into a Dreamcast scenario where the fanbase is diehard and the library is amazing.

Also there is absolutely no goddamn way Nintendo made more money than Sony in gen 5.

profit vs selling at a loss

ps3 wiped out all of the ps2 profits

jts

...hate me...
Making a shit deal with Sony.
Making a useless deal with Philips.
Charging only $60 for the NES mini.
Announcing a "Virtual Console" at all. Created the unrealistic expectation in people that they could get any past game on any console going forward. Should just sell old games piecemeal as "classics" like the competition. Which is what they do anyway, but the term "Virtual Console" should've never been coined. Seems to be fixing that with the Switch (NeoGeo games don't fall under any "Virtual Console" branding umbrella IIRC).
Making a Splatoon sequel for the Switch instead of a port... should've just been a straight up port, and later the sequel.

Nintendo's decision to stick with cartridges absolutely made sense...at the time. Sure, in hindsight everyone probably wonders what they were thinking, but remember, Nintendo was making a killing charging third parties for cartridge production. It sucked for them, but it was great for Nintendo. Furthermore, Nintendo had no idea that they would have so many people jump ship, especially to a fledgeling newcomer.

I said as much in the OP, but I guess no one reads the OP. That may have been a bad decision, but it wasn't baffling. It was very clear why they did it. First, they were exploring CD tech, but their partnerships fell through. Second, as you said, they made money on the carts. And third, their development teams (ie. Miyamoto) were saying they wanted the speed of cartridges over the size of discs.

The Wii U reveal. To this day I have no idea wtf they were thinking. When even hardcore gamers on neogaf were confused as to what the Wii U even was you knew they had a massive messaging problem on their hands.

This one is pretty high on the list of inexplicable idiocy.

NOA eatablished a box art style like this:

Super-Mario-64-3.jpg

Half a year later, NOE decided that the style doesn't quite work for their market. So they must create a new design system for Europe:

Supermario64boxPAL.png

Scandinavian markets (and probably others) protested all the way through to launch, but the idiots at NOE wouldn't budge.

Nintendo did the "box on a box" art BS in the N64 era? Wow, I never knew. Dorks.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Canceling the deal with Sony has to top any list.

What world would we be living in, had Nintendo gone through with it?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
For me, it's casually dropping megatons in side streams few people watch after main E3 events are over. Games like:

The Wonderful 101
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Why would you not show these at your main event?

Selling Rare (the ips, anyway. I get why they sold off the scraps that remained of the talent) and not making an effort to hold onto the shooter and racing markets they built on the N64

I suspect Nintendo EAD didn't hold any of Rare's IPs to high regard so even if they did retain those IPs I imagine they'd be buried further in the dirt than FZero and Star Tropics.

Glix

Incredibly slow trickle feed of VC releases on Wii/U/3ds

I understand you dont wanna drop the whole catalog at once, but the way they did it was just asanine

KrakaJak

Neo Member
Focusing so much on NSMB Wii U during the Wii U's launch. Looked exactly like the popular Wii game and it offered barely there, tacked on Gamepad functionality. I think this early marketing focus was the indicative of all the reasons the Wii U failed so hard.

If I were Nintendo, I would have focused on Zombi U. It actually made a strong use case for the GamePad. Better then most games since. Or at least Nintendo land.

Makonero

Canceling the deal with Sony has to top any list.

What world would we be living in, had Nintendo gone through with it?

It's not baffling. Sony tried to claim licensing fees on games used in the CD add on. Nintendo doesn't want to share those (since they're the most lucrative part of console making) and so left the deal.

RowdyReverb

The marketing and presentation of the Wii U. Maybe not necessarily illogical since the Wii did very well, but baffling in that each of their previous consoles had such a strong sense of individual identity and the Wii U just felt like a follow-up that they didn't really want to make

Top Bottom