• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about From Software clones?

Can the clones reach the From quality?

• Yes

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 74 73.3%

• Total voters

Spyxos

There are now more than a few From Software clones. The quality seems to vary from very bad to quite good. I have not played them all. The few I did play, I put aside relatively quickly. Can clones achieve the From Software quality? Do you play through them or do you leave them mostly?

Some clones:

Lords of the Fallen 1
Dark Siders 3
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
The Surge 1-2
Code Vein
Soul Sacrifice
Nioh 1-2
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
Ashen
Mortal Shell

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They all look and perform better. Its only a matter of time before someone nails the gameplay.

Only a matter of time before Tomb Raider meets its Uncharted.

Spaceman292

Banned
They all look and perform better. Its only a matter of time before someone nails the gameplay.

Only a matter of time before Tomb Raider meets its Uncharted.
That's just not true at all. The Surge games ran badly and looked terrible. So did Wo Long. Ashen is a cell shaded indie game. Soul Sacrifice is a Vita game. The rest are all dull and generic.

Reactions: Fbh

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I thought Mortal Shell was decent for a small indie game. I liked it more than The Surge.
It’s hard for me to consider Jedi Fallen Order as a Souls style game. Combat felt weak as shit, and there’s no build variety.

AJUMP23

begun the clone war has GIF by Star Wars

Saber

Gold Member
A few rare cases propose some interesting concepts and ideas. But most of them just suck.

Fbh

I don't really consider most of the ones you mentioned to be clones. Sure they take inspiration from Dark Souls and use some of the same mechanics (like bonfires) but I think most of them are still do enough to be their own thing.
Is Uncharted considered to be a Gears of War clone?

Anyway, I find most "souls-like" to be pretty bad with some rare exceptions like Nioh 1 and specially 2 because they really nailed the combat.
Really enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order too but I wouldn't consider it to be a souls-like

That's just not true at all. The Surge games ran badly and looked terrible. So did Wo Long. Ashen is a cell shaded indie game. Soul Sacrifice is a Vita game. The rest are all dull and generic.

Yup.
Team Ninja games looks horrible too. Not that FROM games are lookers from a graphical perspective but team ninja still seems trapped in some Ps3-Ps4 cross gen era.

simpatico

There are now more than a few From Software clones. The quality seems to vary from very bad to quite good. I have not played them all. The few I did play, I put aside relatively quickly. Can clones achieve the From Software quality? Do you play through them or do you leave them mostly?

Some clones:

Lords of the Fallen 1
Dark Siders 3
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
The Surge 1-2
Soul Sacrifice
Nioh 1-2
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
Ashen
Mortal Shell
Aside from Fallen Order, I still have not played one to completion despite wanting to and buying a few. They're all pretty shit. Surge and Nioh had frustrating combat. Lords of Fallen and Mortal Coil were just bad. My hype for Fallen Order 2 is non existent because despite finishing Pt. 1, the only thing that kept me going was the pacing being good. I've had my fill of light saber games where the saber hits like a wiffle ball bat. Maybe save it for the end when you're supposed to be uber powerful and start with some type of melee club. Would help the immersion.

Team Ninja’s games are nowhere near “clones.” They’re completely different outside of a focus on difficulty + having their own versions of bonfires. You may have a case of Wo Long being a Sekiro clone but that’s about it.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
They haven't yet, but they definitely can.

Seems like the hands on impressions for Lies of P have been pretty glowing. We'll we see if that one breaks through.

Last edited:

Spyxos

I personally don’t care for “Souls-like” games, when FROM stops making games then I will look for alternatives but in until then I just stick with FROM games.

That game is much more of MH like rather than souls games.
I haven't played it, I remembered people calling it a Dark Souls clone. I guess I was wrong about that. And I got it mixed up I was thinking about Code Vein.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They think that soulslike is a genre and try to make similar games, and they end up doing mediocre action games(maybe except Nioh). I think soulslike isn'a genre, it's how From make games, it's their identity. You can copy some of it but it's perfect as a whole.

Aenima

Havent played many of the clones, but Nioh is pretty good and Lords of the Fallen really bad.

Why is Jedi Fallen Order in the list? The game played like a normal action adventure game to me.

Mossybrew

I've tried enough of these to know that they are very much not my thing. More power to people that enjoy this genre but I stay far away.

ungalo

Darksiders 3 and Star Wars should not be in that list or else you can put God of War, Assassin's Creed and basically everything that is influenced by From Software to some extent.

I don't think Nioh is a clone either, even though it seems to have heavy influences. Didn't play it.

The rest is not incredible. Those games lack budget. The Surge is pretty faithful to the Souls formula with an original universe. I barely played the first one but the second one is ok. I didn't like Code Vein. Ashen had interesting level design sometimes but the gameplay was shit, overall very mediocre. Barely played Lords of the Fallen it was terrible. And never played Mortal Shell but not going to lie it looks very bad.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

The Surge is a decent attempt. It has fun combat, interesting builds you can make, cool sci fi setting and a somewhat compelling story. Sequel was pretty lacklustre though, apart from a few select highlights.

Nioh was cool in the beginning, with a combat system that felt both challenging and fresh, but the dragged on for far too long and little to no variety in the end. It was just a drawn out slog. And the excessive loot 🤮

Lords of the Fallen is mediocre, although I appreciated it more when I gave it a recent playthrough. Optimistic about the sequel.

Code Vein might be the most interesting one, but I need to play more before I can say for sure. It did show a lot of promise.

Overall, I don't think any developer will ever succeed in beating From Software at their own game. These games will always be regarded as clones and nothing more, regardless of their perceived quality.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Havent played many of the clones, but Nioh is pretty good and Lords of the Fallen really bad.

Why is Jedi Fallen Order in the list? The game played like a normal action adventure game to me.
Because it's heavy on parry and you lose upgrade points (Souls) when you die and you have to go get it or it's lost forever.

I love FromSoftware games, but I get souls-fatigue like everyone else. I don't have the time or energy to spend playing something that isn't the genuine article.

That said, I actually enjoyed Fallen Order. That's mostly because it helped satisfy my craving for Sekiro-style combat - my favorite out of the FromSoftware titles.

Gandih42

I don't think any of them has reached the bar set by FromSoftware, but I love them all regardless. It's a style I really enjoy, and they all put their own twist on the formula, be it minor or major.

Harden for Mortal Shell, limbs, parrying, and the setting for Surge 1 & 2, massive move sets and a Diablo-esque loot game for Nioh/Strangers of Paradise.

If I had the time I'd probably play every single Souls-Like with effort put into it.

tusharngf

I liked the NIOH and SURGE series.. apart from them all were average. Fallen order was JANKY at best. Surge is my favorite series outside souls one. Combat is closer to bloodborne and has different weapons moveset as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom