• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does Phase 2 look like for PS5 and how many phases will there be?

Gents, I'm really, really interested in the new PS streaming handheld - getting a backbone/Kishi is a no-go for me since they're expensive and you're also dependent on your phone's battery (obviously), playing on a tablet is also a headache since even on Android 12, the Dualsense has the button mapping all wrong which still hasn't been fixed and while PS remote play works fine on an ipad (haptics and all)...well, not everyone wants to shell out for an apple product, plus, the DS's connectivity is obviously via Bluetooth which adds more lag.

Basically, a PS remote play dedicated device which is plug and play, at the right price would be a nice thing to have - then again this is Sony we're talking about so the damned thing will probably cost more.than 300 Eurodollars killing any momentum it would have.

TLDNR : I really hope they show the new streaming handheld sooner rather than later

SeraphJan

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Metal Gear Solid 3
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

One assumes phase 2 means focus on PS5 games with no more old gen. But as for how many gen? Enough to get to the PS6 launch. The idea since the PS3 was to make sure the console is supported all the way until its replacement is out. And have a good set of sendoff games in the end of its life as to set an example for the future.

Nintendo is probably doing something similar by making sure there was two Zelda mainline games in the Switch. Because Wii-U had BotW but no one really thinks of it.

Kokoloko85

Phase 2 = 2 shitty superhero games. Sounds about right. Can’t wait for the trend to crash and burn.
Well Video games have had Superheroes since forever. With Batman Trilogy, GOTG and Spiderman they are better than ever… ( well I loved the old beat em ups and Capcom vs games )
So its not a trend

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Marvel’s Wolverine
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake
Mortal Kombat 12
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Final Fantasy XVI
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Death Stranding 2

begging no money GIF

Rumours are here:

Feels like we haven't really got into Phase 1 really. Right now I have Hogwarts I'm playing, GT7 and I need to get back to Demon's Souls.

I feel like it's been a solid two years since launch. It may feel less so if you don't count games like Horizon, God of War and GT7 because they have PS4 versions. To me, that's dumb. If only the PS5 versions released for those games, just as they are now, no one would feel they were "last gen".

Two or three AAA exclusives is a pretty good year. In these first two we've had well more than that.

Last edited:
I think we need to be careful about how we phrase things, using words like "phases" can be misleading and draw comparisons to things like the MCU which is just not accurate given the diverse nature of the gaming industry.

We've always had terms like "waves", so the first wave of Playstation games, and then the second wave which is what we're heading into now.

As for what we can expect, well the second wave of games have always been known to take advantage of the hardware and software so we may see some spectacular things. I'm personally looking forward to the Ghost of Tsuhima sequel. The first game was dam right beautiful in every way, I can only imagine what they'll be able to pull of on next-gen hardware.

Woopah

Nintendo is about to start Phase 4 of the Switch and I'd imagine PS5 is going to have 4 passes as well.

Phase 2 of PS5 is where we start seeing more of the GAAS titles I bet.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If Sony show a new KOTOR remake trailer then I'll bust a hype nut.

Slightly off topic, but isn't odd how the PS5 is getting a KOTOR remake, but the originals aren't on the PS Store?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
MGS3: the game where a 135 pound woman beats up a 185 pound man repeatedly throughout the entire story and you’re supposed to take it seriously because its sad or something.

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders
She teached him so she knew how he fight. Of course she can beat him!
Mr Mackey Mmkay GIF by South Park

Honestly the last fight is amazing. You can destroy her and it feel so good... But MGS2 was better.

Mr.Phoenix

For MGS2 ? I got from Sonic 2 to GTA 3 and then to MGS2. It was like having a new gen twice. MGS2 is a masterpiece. Why be against it?
Well, we can start with the whole bait and switch, literally played as Snake for aof 2hrs. Then spent the rest of the game paying as that Emo Raiden.

But come on... MGS3? First, one to actually switch up the camera view, the whole camo thing and survival minigame, The end boss, the linear open-world nature of the game....etc.

I mean you could kill a boss from waiting for him to die from old age!!!!!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well, we can start with the whole bait and switch, literally played as Snake for aof 2hrs. Then spent the rest of the game paying as that Emo Raiden.

Big Boss is way more emo than Raiden. He spends the whole game all sad and mopy, whereas Raiden is just scared. Its a stark contrast MGS1 Solid Snake who was literally dropping one-liners & hitting on women. Meanwhile MGS3 Naked Snake can’t talk to Eva until she gets him drunk and only smiles when he is around Ocelot which tells you something about the snake eating that went on after the events of that game.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

But come on... MGS3? First, one to actually switch up the camera view, the whole camo thing and survival minigame, The end boss, the linear open-world nature of the game....etc.

I mean you could kill a boss from waiting for him to die from old age!!!!!
I never played completely MGS1 as I never got a PS1 and only got 1 or 2 hours on it, and it was years after MGS2. So no problem with the bait and switch. That is why I would love a MGS1 remake by the way.
MGS3 had a lot of things for it, yes. And I loved it too. But MGS2, at 10 years old. And just after GTA 3. A technical masterpiece. And so many things that were not standard even a generation after it. Like mirrors, character walking on stairs realistically... It was ahead of its time. And Emo Raiden got a katana in the end, and fight Metal gears by the dozen... The game was amazing. Maybe if I played MGS3 when it was out...

kyliethicc

Rumours are here:

Feels like we haven't really got into Phase 1 really. Right now I have Hogwarts I'm playing, GT7 and I need to get back to Demon's Souls.

its just idea of acts of the generation which ultimately lasts around 10 years

PS4
act 1 - 2013-2016
act 2 - 2017-2020
act 3 - 2021-2023

PS5
act 1 - 2020-2023
act 2 - 2024-2027
act 3 - 2028-2030

Mr.Phoenix

Big Boss is way more emo than Raiden. He spends the whole game all sad and mopy, whereas Raiden is just scared. Its a stark contrast MGS1 Solid Snake who was literally dropping one-liners & hitting on women. Meanwhile MGS3 Naked Snake can’t talk to Eva until she gets him drunk and only smiles when he is around Ocelot which tells you something about the snake eating that went on after the events of that game.
Well, you have a point...

Fbh

Phase 2:
Jim teams up Kaz Hirai, Jack Tretton and Shuhei Yoshida to gather the infinity Games as a Service and establish Ps5 as the most successful console ever

Phase 3:
The team splits up and Jim gets replaced by Jane Ryan, a 19 years female CEO with his same skills set except she is better at everything and has non of his flaws

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
These are games I care about the most from that list

Rise of the Ronin
Final Fantasy XVI
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

with Silent Hill 2 remake, as much as I LOVED original game I just don’t trust devs who are working on this remake, so for me is wait and see.

Stellar Blade looks interesting but I have no experience with Chinese or Korean games, I don’t know how the final game will turn out, also wait and see.

nial

Ps5 Astro Bot GIF by PlayStation

Team Asobi is the best PS studio, hope to see them there.
Aside from that, I'm most interested in Death Stranding 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Lost Soul Aside. Looking forward to see some surprises.

Top Bottom