• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Kadayi

Banned
I was playing Outer Worlds, but I put it down for a couple of days and in truth, I'm really struggling to garner any enthusiasm to return to it. It's not terrible, it's just not that compelling. I'm only playing on normal., but I've barely died more than a handful of times in fights (and that was mainly when I was learning the ropes) and I've hardly ever had to use any of the healing items, so looting seems kind of pointless save as a means to generate more credits. I would like to see it through because I'd like to see what Obsidian could do with a sequel with a proper budget, but with Cyberpunk barely 2 weeks away, I'm not sure given my lack of enthusiasm I'm going to push through to completion as I'm only on the first world past the Groundbreaker unless I really pull my finger out.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
All on PC:

Destiny 2
Rocket League
No Man's Sky
Flight Simulator
World of Warcraft
THPS 1+2
Fortnite

just going back and forth between them as i feel like it. next game i buy will be Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:

Corrik

I was playing Outer Worlds, but I put it down for a couple of days and in truth, I'm really struggling to garner any enthusiasm to return to it. It's not terrible, it's just not that compelling. I'm only playing on normal., but I've barely died more than a handful of times in fights (and that was mainly when I was learning the ropes) and I've hardly ever had to use any of the healing items, so looting seems kind of pointless save as a means to generate more credits. I would like to see it through because I'd like to see what Obsidian could do with a sequel with a proper budget, but with Cyberpunk barely 2 weeks away, I'm not sure given my lack of enthusiasm I'm going to push through to completion as I'm only on the first world past the Groundbreaker unless I really pull my finger out.
Bump the difficulty up. I remember being able to die a lot in the game, but I also went places out of order I think and abused the hell out of the invincibility frames on characters. Towards the end moreso you fight the bigger monsters that can really do some damage on you, at least for awhile.

The game itself is kind of bland, but it's not bad. Nor has to be as easy as the setting you are playing on.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Playing through The Division again.
Next will be Ghost of Tsushima.
For my multi-player fix im on Destiny 2 and COD: Cold War.

Last edited by a moderator:

lunnuyu

Any thoughts? This has been sitting unplayed in my Steam library for a while now. Looks crazy - would love to hear what you think! :messenger_ghost:
Personally, I find the story quite intriguing and interesting and it keeps me playing since I'm not exactly a big fan of stealth hiding type of games (though, you can use some stuff to stun your pursuers)
It might benefit from a bit of more work on some technical aspects but overall I had an enjoyable experience

JimiNutz

Banned
Over 35 hours of Demon's Souls.
It's my first proper attempt at completing a Souls game and after all that time I've only defeated 5 bosses - I've thoroughly enjoyed my time though and will continue plugging away at it.

Been playing short bursts of GT Sport as well. I've been playing GT games since the original on PS1 but have missed the past few entries. The cars still handle incredibly well and it's a great looking game. It's getting me hyped for GT7

Just started my first playthrough of Mario Galaxy with the gf as well. We are only a couple hours in but it's been a lot of fun so far.

Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition on PS5. Never really got into the series, but I'm loving this game. The visuals on PS5 are fantastic.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Battling the 8 Benevodons in Trials of Mana. 4 to go. I think this is the final stretch. This game has been a lot of fun. I think I'm around 25 hours of game time and depending on post-game it might end up around 40. Not bad for a smaller title packing this much quality. Feels like Square is back to their good old days when not everything revolved around Final Fantasy.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Went back to Yakuza Ø now I'm done with Like a Dragon. Felt super off and weird even just wandering around but you get used to it soon enough. It's still great but they did upgrade the town areas a lot in Like a Dragon, it feels a bit less cramped, more open to explore beyond just the main streets.
yakuza0_2020_11_29_21wzkmc.png
yakuza0_2020_11_29_217mkdk.png
yakuza0_2020_11_30_02jxjqa.png

Last edited:

Neolombax

D2 Beyond Light. The expansion is better than it expected it to be? Only recently started to look seriously into armor mods and trying to create a specific build for the Stasis subclass. Its surprisingly satisfying. I wonder why I did not bother with mods in previous seasons.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got to say, this whole PC cheap ass gaming on GOG has me hooked.

Bought some oldies for like $4. Some I played and some I never did. I never knew GOG gives out free games too, so I've been grabbing them. It seems they give one out every month.

I started with Talisman Origins and sunk a lot of time into it. Didn't completely clear it (looks like it'll take forever), but I totally got my $8 worth out of it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ring of Pain. A simple dungeon crawler
X-Com Chimera Squad. More X-com with slightly different rules
Yakuza Like a Dragon
and loads of vr games

Laptop1991

I'm playing AC Valhalla, i have had a few bugs so far, which isn't rare if you check the Valhalla forum, some quests i've managed to get past some are stuck and can't be finished at the moment, but i haven't updated to 1.04 yet as the game plays well for me with only a few crashes in a 100 hours of game time, apparently the issues fixed in the patch notes are not actually fixed, the game needs more patching, but i've enjoyed most of it so far.

Cracklox

I picked up Plague Tale: Innocence and Darksiders Genesis a few days ago to tide me over to Cyberpunk.

About half way through Plague Tale. Had heard alot of good stuff about it, and its mostly true so far. Just a good ol fashion linear, well told tale that all looks very nice too. Especially taking into account its not considered 'AAA'.

I only played Darksiders for an hour or so to check it out quickly, but that was good stuff as well. I dig the franchise and really enjoyed 3, so I'm looking forward to getting into it properly. And isometric games are right up my alley too. I should finish Plague Tale in the next day or two, and then Darksiders should keep me busy for a week and half or so.

I also played through Bloodstained recently, and that was most excellent. Scratched that Symphony of the Night itch, that hadn't really been scratched for 20 odd years. Still a few things I want to tidy up with that too, before Cyberpunk takes up all my gaming time

Eastshade on Gamepass.
I knew nothing about it going in. Surprising game With great music snd scenery.
It feels like a Skyrim reskin.
No combat and simple mechanics.
Some quests confused me and needed a walkthrough hint as to where to hang the balloon painting.
I had to look up why I kept dying at night. No indication my character was freezing and needed a coat you get later in the game to walk around at night.
Im enjoying it despite these little issues.

Jeeves

Elite Dangerous on PC. Got it while it was free on EGS, and I dug out a flight stick I was given 10+ years ago and never used -- to my delight it works perfectly for this game. Having amazing times!

bender

What time is it?
  • Rocket League (PS4) - I'm almost done with all the Free/Premium challenges this season. I know I said I'm retiring prior to this season but I'm weak. I do think I'm going to hang it up after this season though. I really don't like the changes they made to earning XP and I'm starting to feel burnt out on hockey.
  • Miles Morales (PS5) - Really not feeling this game.
  • Super Mario Sunshine (Switch) - Almost done with this. I have around 90 shines (I'm not going to get them all). It's a little uneven of an experience but I'm enjoying more than I thought I would.
  • Demon Souls (PS5) - It's great to be playing this again.
  • Animal Crossing (Switch) - Every day. :)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished Devil May Cry V: Special Edition as Vergil. What an excellent game. This is my 3rd playthrough of the game. Vergil is so satisfying to play as. Each encounter teaches you a thing or two. He feels similar to how he played in 4:SE except he’s so much more defined with the new engine. It’s an excellent game. I want to play it again, but this time it’ll be the base game. I’m at 97% of getting all of Vergil’s skills. It took me so much less time finishing it with him. Mainly because you don’t exactly get your own story. You do however get to play all the levels that V, Dante, and Nero played. They don’t skip sections. Which makes Vergil’s inclusion even better.

I played some Bugsnax. It’s interesting and intriguing. It’s not something I’d spend actual money on though. I finished Demon’s Souls. I’ve put a couple hours into Godfall. I’m a level 15 at the moment. I played a bit of Cold War. I’ve been meaning to play more of it, but I haven’t been in the mood for a shooter lately.

I have also been playing Hades on Switch. It’s a lot of fun. I haven’t finished it yet. I’m getting use to it and I’m making each run better than the last.

Duchess

Currently playing Vampyr (on PS4).

It's a good game, not a great one. But, oh man, the constant crashes and freezing is beginning to drive me bananas. Three times in an hour last night. Seems dontnod have stuck a fork in the game and moved on, which is a shame.

borborygmus

I started Divinity: Original Sin II and it's pissing me off. It's ridiculously buggy and some of the scripting is unacceptably bad. There's an area at the start of the game where your long term objective is to escape, but there are plenty of side quests to do while working on that. I did some sneaking around and I managed to step outside the enclosed area without anyone seeing me. I literally just walked off into a grassy field for a bit. Then I returned and now everyone's aggro and all my quests were removed. Apparently the game considers me as having "officially" escaped just because I stepped out beyond a certain point even though nobody saw me.

It's weird because a lot of the side quests I picked up require you to go almost far enough to escape anyway. If you keep going just a bit further you have no chance to come back and turn those quests in. I wasted so much time on those side quests and it's really frustrating failing all of them just because I walked a bit too far.

Overall it's really sloppy despite coming out years ago. It's full of bugs and design flaws. For example, when the journal gets updated, it says "press L to view" but if you press L, it doesn't automatically show the latest entry. You have to dig for it. It's really hard to find the item that just got updated.

The log window doesn't log "banter" dialogue (the kind of text that is overheard as opposed to when you explicitly talk to characters) even though a lot of it is important.

The tutorial popups disappear in 3 seconds even if you don't press the "OK" button and you have to go digging in the logs to see what was in them.

The elements don't work reliably. Sometimes using poison on water works, and makes the entire body of water poisonous. Other times it does not. I have a staff equipped that fires a poison projectile and it doesn't poison the water, but a melee staff does.

Initiative in combat depends on the character that triggered the combat, which is bizarre. Whichever character in your party is seen by enemies first gets earlier/more turns.

When you load a save, some things load up different than when you made the save.

I don't get the overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam. It's a giant mess and I wonder if anyone even playtested this thing at all.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Finished Trials of Mana. I enjoyed it very much. Fun and fast gameplay, exploring towns and dungeons, leveling up, just classic stuff all around. The game felt like a throwback to the good old Jrpg-days of the 90s. Haven't played the original so can't compare it.

I would appreciate it if Square Enix produced more of these AA-experiences going forward. It would be a nice addition to their AAA output.

Topher

Gold Member
Trying to platinum Gravity Rush on PS4 before Cyberpunk 2077 arrives. Played GR on Vita, but so much better on PS4 Pro.

I started Divinity: Original Sin II and it's pissing me off. It's ridiculously buggy and some of the scripting is unacceptably bad. There's an area at the start of the game where your long term objective is to escape, but there are plenty of side quests to do while working on that. I did some sneaking around and I managed to step outside the enclosed area without anyone seeing me. I literally just walked off into a grassy field for a bit. Then I returned and now everyone's aggro and all my quests were removed. Apparently the game considers me as having "officially" escaped just because I stepped out beyond a certain point even though nobody saw me.

It's weird because a lot of the side quests I picked up require you to go almost far enough to escape anyway. If you keep going just a bit further you have no chance to come back and turn those quests in. I wasted so much time on those side quests and it's really frustrating failing all of them just because I walked a bit too far.

Overall it's really sloppy despite coming out years ago. It's full of bugs and design flaws. For example, when the journal gets updated, it says "press L to view" but if you press L, it doesn't automatically show the latest entry. You have to dig for it. It's really hard to find the item that just got updated.

The log window doesn't log "banter" dialogue (the kind of text that is overheard as opposed to when you explicitly talk to characters) even though a lot of it is important.

The tutorial popups disappear in 3 seconds even if you don't press the "OK" button and you have to go digging in the logs to see what was in them.

The elements don't work reliably. Sometimes using poison on water works, and makes the entire body of water poisonous. Other times it does not. I have a staff equipped that fires a poison projectile and it doesn't poison the water, but a melee staff does.

Initiative in combat depends on the character that triggered the combat, which is bizarre. Whichever character in your party is seen by enemies first gets earlier/more turns.

When you load a save, some things load up different than when you made the save.

I don't get the overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam. It's a giant mess and I wonder if anyone even playtested this thing at all.
It's still buggy? That sucks I thought it was fixed. And yeah the game gets incredible good reviews, maybe it' s your pc?

borborygmus

It's still buggy? That sucks I thought it was fixed. And yeah the game gets incredible good reviews, maybe it' s your pc?

I don't see how it could be my PC. All of my complaints are about bad design choices and glitches in the scripting layer rather than low level engine glitches. Like who's to say exiting a building from one side is the criterion for the game considering that you "escaped." Several of the side quests were just a few minutes away from that exit. So the game expected me to get that far, complete the side quests, go back and turn them in, then come back and escape? This is a game that encourages free roaming which makes it really baffling that there's an invisible cutoff point that instantly ends all your side quests without warning.

In terms of specs I can easily run the game at 1440p 60fps with all graphical settings maxed out, not that it should affect the issues I mentioned.

Fox Mulder

Finally got around to Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair and it’s pretty great. It’s everything the other game failed to reach, even the music is amazing.

GeekyDad

Finished NG+ of SMTIV [3DS] this morning in Chaos route. That makes playthrough #8, I believe, since I got the game back on release day. Did two straight playthroughs this time around. Need a break, though. Will probably try for Neutral again at a later date.

Gonna move back for another playthrough of Devil Survivor Overclocked later today. It's been a while.

Moogle11

Banned
Bouncing around several lately.

PS5

Miles Morales-really enjoying it so far. Looks and plays great.

Astrobot’s Playroom-great showcase for the Dualsense and a fun platformer. Hit the credits but still have a lot of collectibles to get and other things to do like the time trials.

Demon’s Souls-finished up 1-1 and liking it a lot so far. Looks amazing. Don’t know that I’ll have the patience to finish it, but bought it knowing that as after getting the platinum in Bloodborne and beating all the bosses through the first DLC in DS3 I’ve struggled to get into Souls/Souls-like games. Glad I gave it a go as I’m having fun, love the graphics and I’ll get a lot of hours out of it even if I don’t beat it.

Borderlands 3-mostly played on PS4 Pro, but love the boost to the PS5 version. Looks and feels great at 60FPS. Had a lot of fun doing Arms Raxe with a buddy, but think we got all the gear we wanted for our builds from that mode so not sure how much more we’ll play of it.

Switch

Trials of Mana-slowly chipping away at it and mostly enjoying it. Fun, light hard action RPG.

Xbox Series X

Mine arrives today despite originally having a 12/23 estimate from Microsoft. Probably won’t get a ton of usage for a bit since I’m sucked into the PS5 stuff and Cyberpunk hits soon. Though I do need to look into which console runs that better.

Grabbed it mostly for Gamepass as I opted not to upgrade my PC given cost and that I just didn’t use it nearly as much as I thought I would as I just prefer the streamlined nature of console gaming. For now I’ll likely just play Forza Horizon 4 on the side, maybe Outer Wilds too if that’s still on Gamepass, and check out Gears Tactics once I finish some other games.

PS4

Shadow of War-was playing this while waiting on my PS5 to come (got it Saturday). Had adecsnr time with it, may get back to it in PS5 at some point.

Ghost of Tsushima Legends-loved the single player and has an ok time with what I played of this. Just finished the initial round of story missions so need to find time tocheck out the survival modes etc.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Mate huge props on the magnificent write up!

I also had trouble getting into the game.. my reasons aren't as thorough as your but yeah, great food for thought!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You know that phase when nothing interests you? Damn
Happens to everyone mate. In those cases I just take a rest from gaming for a week or two and do other things with my freetime. After that I find it much easier to come back to games and have fun.

GeekyDad

I'm finally doing it...again! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

411bkIhoU%2BL._AC_.jpg
ulus-10539-ss6

Played it years ago on DS when it came out (and loved it). Never did finish it because it just became really bogged down for me later. But I recently discovered some awesome Youtube tutorials that walk you through ALL of the mechanics without ruining any of the chapters and story. Just glad to be playing it now on PSP because even though the stylus control was great, doing it on the bottom screen while all the actual visual stuff is on the top screen was not all that enjoyable for me. Such a beautiful game too, especially on PSP.

ReCore.
250px-Recore_cover.jpg

It is a mix of 3D platforming and 3rd person shooter with RPG elements set in a postapocalyptic desert.

I am only 3 hours in but so far I've enjoyed the platforming and some Metroid Prime reminiscent elements like of course being a lonely woman exploring a hostile environment, but also the use of different shooting colours and the enemy lock system.
For now I don't have any advice about story and plot, but from what I saw it isn't the point.

Go for it:
  • if you like some platforming challenge (there are some rewards based on how fast you complete the levels or how many items you collect, and a special reward if you manage to achieve all at once).
  • if you are interested in some "TPS character action" beat 'em up with a combo system (although I'm not very far in the game, so I have not yet managed to master it and I can't say how deep it goes into complexity).
I don't recommend it:
  • if you are not patient enough or interested in starting levels over and over in order to 100% them.
  • if you are too easily bothered by repetitive RPG elements like upgrading your gear with mere numbers.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
ReCore.
250px-Recore_cover.jpg

It is a mix of 3D platforming and 3rd person shooter with RPG elements set in a postapocalyptic desert.

I am only 3 hours in but so far I've enjoyed the platforming and some Metroid Prime reminiscent elements like of course being a lonely woman exploring a hostile environment, but also the use of different shooting colours and the enemy lock system.
For now I don't have any advice about story and plot, but from what I saw it isn't the point.

Go for it:
  • if you like some platforming challenge (there are some rewards based on how fast you complete the levels or how many items you collect, and a special reward if you manage to achieve all at once).
  • if you are interested in some "TPS character action" beat 'em up with a combo system (although I'm not very far in the game, so I have not yet managed to master it and I can't say how deep it goes into complexity).
I don't recommend it:
  • if you are not patient enough or interested in starting levels over and over in order to 100% them.
  • if you are too easily bothered by repetitive RPG elements like upgrading your gear with mere numbers.
Enjoy it while it lasts. The finale of this game is.... horrible. Prepare for mindless grinding. Just as a heads up.

Watched the final hour or so on YT. I hate when games do this... Having fun so far? Good, now go back and grind for hours to beat the final section of the game.

Superkewl

Gold Member
Picked up Star Wars: Squadrons after they optimized it for Series X. I am just playing the story right now, and was planning on just playing vs the AI as I do not like playing multiplayer games, but i dont think I can unlock anything by playing against AI, making it possibly a bad purchase. Oh well, live and learn

Last edited:

GinSama

Xbox One Doom Eternal ( The game is really good, frenetic action, love it)
Halo 2 ( Doing a rerun of the games, finished Halo1 and almost finishing Halo2 )

Ps4 Skyrim
Assasins Creed 2

Switch Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Titan Quest

Decide these games until i finishing them, until i buy a new console next year, will try to finish a lot of games.

Top Bottom