• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Erdrick

Mostly been playing Metal Max Xeno on the PS4. Never played much of these games before, especially since we only ever got one other game on the PS2 here, but it's been around since 1991 back on the NES. Just stuck in Japan mostly. The game itself feels like a high res Dreamcast in terms of level design and mechanics. Which isn't a horrible thing. Barebones anime trope story but the gameplay is addictive and the monster designs are pretty neat. It gets repetitive but it's become my game to grind as I listen to podcasts or whatnot. It also has a pretty hefty difficulty spike right near the end, but I still managed to sneak a win over the final boss and am now doing New Game+ and enjoying all these new items and such as a result on a harder difficulty. It's fun tinkering with tanks and trying them out. There is absolutely tons of customizable options for your tanks and vehicles, so that's part of the appeal.

It's honestly not that amazing of a game, but it still has had me hooked for nearly 70 hours now. Not bad for the $21 I paid for it last month on sale on PSN. It reminds me of old school JRPG's and is very, very addictive.

Please bring Metal Max Xeno Reborn here, whomever is reading this. Hell, localize the NES, SNES, DS, 3DS and throw the PS2 version up there with trophies or something. I'll buy em. I'm a fan of this series now.

JimiNutz

Banned
Still slowly slogging through Bloodborne with the gf.

We beat Father Gascoigne tonight - it's maybe taking us a bit longer than it should as we usually drink when playing the game (have to have a drink every time you die).

It's been a lot of fun so far though.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Vampyr - Didn't like it at first but I'm getting used to it now after picking up back up again after beating Dragon Quest VIII. It's giving me them basic 2004 WRPG vibes in a 2018 skin.

Hey Pikmin! - Hated it at first, it was £10 on Ebay new and sealed so thought fuck it, time to fill in the gaps of the 3DS library. Forced myself to get through the early stages and it's decent at best being generous, not as bad as that 3DS Yoshi game but not as good as a Pikmin game can be. Release Pikmin 4 Nintendo you cucks.

Apex Legends - HORIZON BAYBEE.

I did want to play my Saturn but it fucking died on me only two years after getting it so no Dynamite Deka and Nights into Dreams for me. Probably gonna do Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG next on Wii-U.

Ghostrunner. What a great game. To me it's like a mix of hotline miami and ruiner.

C0B2Oo3.jpg

Fbh

Still Yakuza 5.

It's now a mix of an Idol Simulator with a regular Yakuza style beat em up. Still not a fan of the idol part but now I have the stupid ass song stuck in my head lol.

This game reminds me it's a bit of a shame Akiyama didn't take over as main character after Kiryu. Dude is great.

JLB

Banned
Playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, 12hs-ish so far. I had low expectations (58 metacritic) but the game is actually quite enjoyable. Story is serviceable, and mechanics are well thought. Great graphics also, hopefully a 69fps patch is in the works for Series SlX.

Last edited:

Corrik

I replayed halo reach, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Currently playing halo 3 odst. Beating them all on legendary and doing all par times and scores. Almost done! Then halo 5 is next!

Mr Hyde

Thought that both Rise and Shadow had much, much worse pacing than the Reboot, which is the main reason I thought they were worse despite having clearly better Tombs. The big open world sections were a huge mistake IMO.

I agree about the pacing, especially in Shadows, but I think both sequels were overall much more intriguing and well made, in terms of story, exploration and scope. But the original is nothing to scoff at, I like it very much too. Very well made and a great start for a big blockbuster reboot.

I wish CD would abandon Avengers and get back to Tomb Raider. They have made the best games in the series, and I would like them to direct the new entry and pave the way for next gen TR.

Duchess

Got the platinum for A Plague Tale (excellent game, more people should get it).

Then tried out Observation, but found the puzzles more frustrating than anything else.

Now playing Hollow Knight. Apparently, I'm some sort of masochist.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Silent Hill 2 - Slowly chipping away at it.
Hotline Miami Collection - Not sure I'm really enjoying it as much on a gamepad so far.
V-Rally 4 and WRC 8.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Resident Evil 4 (It was in the eShop sale).

Haven't played it since PS2. Still pretty fun, if clunky.
Yep, it didn't aged perfectly and some QTEs are just bad. One hell of a great game tho, can't wait to see that remake.

OneBigPuss

RDR2.I played chapter 1 on ps4 and got bored not long after release.Now im playing on pc and im hooked.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Just finished Dead Space for the first time. I'm very impressed. There were more than a couple of monster closet situations, where an exploding zombie would magically appear right behind me. Over the entire game though, I really enjoyed the combat encounters.

The story was interesting and kept fresh by the frequent radio communications with the main characters.

There was one peculiar situation that I wish I could have done differently. There was an engineer in a suit like Isaac's who was trapped in a hallway because a gravity repulsion was pushing him into the ceiling. I tried everything I could to put him out of his misery, but the game wouldn't let me so I had to just listen to his moaning as I left him behind.

Overall, a great game that I fully understand getting the praise it did. Glad I finally caught up to it.

TriSuit666

Banned
Just finished Dead Space for the first time. I'm very impressed. There were more than a couple of monster closet situations, where an exploding zombie would magically appear right behind me. Over the entire game though, I really enjoyed the combat encounters.

The story was interesting and kept fresh by the frequent radio communications with the main characters.

There was one peculiar situation that I wish I could have done differently. There was an engineer in a suit like Isaac's who was trapped in a hallway because a gravity repulsion was pushing him into the ceiling. I tried everything I could to put him out of his misery, but the game wouldn't let me so I had to just listen to his moaning as I left him behind.

Overall, a great game that I fully understand getting the praise it did. Glad I finally caught up to it.

Ooh, if you thought DS 1 was good, you're in for a massive treat with Dead Space 2 if you decide to carry on. Dead Space 3 is where it went a bit wrong for me, but Dead Space 2 is superb.

Anyway, I'm about 7 hours in to Death Stranding on the PC. Enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

Currently playing:

- Burnout Revenge (Xbox One back compat FTW) for some casual arcade racing fun after work.​

giphy.gif

And when I have more than five minutes to myself...

- Dragon Age (Xbox One X): to get my classic BioWare RPG fix. I'm a huge KotOR fan and I'm playing this for the first time and it's soo good.​

- Final Fantasy III (Nintendo DS): I'm only 20 hours in but it's quickly becoming one of my favourite JRPGs. It's challenging too, which came as a bit of a system shock (in a positive way).​

partime

tumblr_o10i3wbk8e1rqbtm2o1_500.gifv

Alien Isolation on Steam. Scary but it stalls a lot. Running AMD crossfire so maybe that's why.

Really enjoying it regardless, can't believe I waited this long, the lighting, effects, and glitches are insanely creative.

GeekyDad

- Final Fantasy III (Nintendo DS): I'm only 20 hours in but it's quickly becoming one of my favourite JRPGs. It's challenging too, which came as a bit of a system shock (in a positive way).​

Very glad to see someone still enjoying that game. It was one of my favorite DS games at the time. Still have very fond memories of it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Demon's Souls still, it's pretty good. Should I kill these guys or is it a trap that will make things worse (cos just earlier had to kill a similar dude to put a boss down for good so maybe now it's the opposite deal)?
rpcs3_2020_11_10_12_11_17_576.png

Edit: so yeah, had to kill them to progress, figured it out after finding the second set with nothing else to do in the area. Makes sense.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Arkham knight. Wanted to get in to that super hero mode while waiting for my ps5 and spiderman. 19th here in uk 😭.

Bought the game at launch on pc but obviously it ran like crap.
Playing now maxed out at 4k 60 and it's glorious. Such a good game with plenty off action and puzzle solving.

But yeah it looks so good at 4k 60! Can't believe it's a UE3 game.

down 2 orth

1) Just got my LG CX recently. My first game for it is Rise of the Tomb Raider (on PS Pro), and I can say that I'm now a believer in 4K .

2) I also managed to get Yakuza 0 going on 4k/60+ FPS with my laptop connected to the TV. Life is good, indeed!

Compsiox

Banned
Watch Dogs Legion
soon Cold War

I was playing Warzone Zombie Battle Royale but they decided to be retarded and remove the mode.

Also I've been taking a break from Siege for the last few weeks and won't return until the next season starts.

BigBooper

Tried playing Stories Untold. This is worse than the text adventure games I used to play on the commodore 64 30 years ago. Trash

What Remains of Edith Finch. For the first ten minutes, my proverbial eyes were rolling, since I don't really enjoy walking simulators. Once you figure out what the game's actually about, you're probably already interested enough in the story to see it through. Ended up finishing it in one sitting and really liked it. It's short, only taking me a little over 2 hours, but also I probably wouldn't have liked it as much if it took longer. 3 Stars

Gun. I bought this on GOG years ago because I'd gotten a version from a naughty site a while back, and I've ended buying those games that I enjoyed playing to make up for it. I don't know if I'll stick with it. It was really good to me 15 years ago, but it doesn't have the same lasting appeal of something like Quake, Doom, or Half Life. I kinda doubt I'll play more than the hour and a half I have. 2 Stars maybe

Gangland: Trouble in Paradise. Another oldie, but pretty goodie. I'm enjoying this pretty good, but it's extremely simple so far. I'm going through the campaign. I hope the gang and safehouse management end up being deeper than it looks to be.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Finished! Good game, I didn't mind the levels/hub, it gave a decent sense of exploration early on with the choice of which area to tackle, but each was also linear and limited, especially toward its end with boss after boss, most of which were easy and simple, like the ending. 7/10, Dark is better!
rpcs3_2020_11_12_14_53_46_086.png

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Retrowave, stupidly simple indie title, only cost me €2 (steam). Pick a car, drive dangerously through oncoming traffic on never-ending tracks, earn points to buy better cars, that's it. You crash and its game over. The real clincher here are the aesthetics though, the 80's influence is clear as day, looks nice and the synthwave soundtrack is great. You'll actually feel a mullet grow as you play! Great little game to have on your desktop for a ten minute blast.

20201115125211-1.jpg

20201115201721-1.jpg

20201115212702-1.jpg

Mr Hyde

Trials of Mana

So far, so good. I love the sense of adventure the Mana-games bring. Fun lighthearted combat and great music. Just the kinda game I'm in the mood for. The only downside so far, is the annoying and cheesy dialogue. Expected it comes with the genre, but the writing and VA here is not even sub par, it's downright awful.

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey on the Series X - first AC game I’ve ever played. Absolutely loving it. Reminds me of Witcher 3 - not quite on that level, but close enough to keep me playing.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps next.

Convicsik

New Super Mario Brothers Deluxe for Nintendo Switch.

I love platformers and have never been disappointed by a Mario Game ... until now. Something just seems off about it. It feels very scaled back and basic. It feels closer to Mario 3 than Super Mario World, which for me is disappointing. If you’re a diehard Mario fan that likes a pretty challenging Mario game, go for it, but there are better 2D platformers out there.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Halo 4 via Game Pass yesterday.

In mission 3 right now. I did play this game back on the 360 but it's been long enough that I hardly remember anything about it. The story completely eludes me, only the levels seem kinda familiar. Anyway, in mission 3 right now and liking it so far. Coming for ODST a few weks ago what immedialy can be noticed just how much the weapon sounds have been improved. Seriously loving it. As for everything else... we'll see.

CalmYe

Neo Member
d35Ef20_350x200_1x-0.jpg

What a great game. Wish Rockstar made more games like these, not necessarily at same scale like GTA or RDR. A unique game and must play.

R6Rider

Gold Member
PS5
Demon's Souls Remake - About half way on first character, also started another run with friend.
Astro's Playroom - Just got the platinum tonight. Really fun game that is more than just a tech demo for the controller.
Bugsnax - Only a few hours in, but so far it's not too bad for getting on PS+.

PS4
Yakuza 0 - Just started up a few nights ago.

PS3
Resistance 3 - Finally got around to beating this. Only 3 more PS3 games left before I put it into storage.

PSP
LocoRoco - Played a bit this past weekend while visiting family. Should finish up the game this weekend.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

DMC5: Special Edition on the Series X. It feels so nice to play this game again. Loving Vergil and the improved graphics :messenger_tongue:. Next I'm gonna be jumping into Yakuza Like a Dragon and Call of Duty Cold War. Good Times.

EDIT: Oh yeah almost forgot, I'm also playing Phantasy Star Online 2 on the side now that it's finally working in EU. My hunter is like level 40 or something. Game doesn't quite have the charm of OG PSO, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless!

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

In Dwarf Village now in Trials of Mana. It got an old school charm to it, it feels reminiscent of older classic Square-games such as Brave Fencer Musashi and, of course, the previous Mana-titles.

The cast of characters are great, the music is solid, graphics are good, and overall it's just a fun adventure that doesn't take itself too seriously. Very pleased with the quality so far.

This game really takes you back on memory lane, the glorious days of the 90s when Jrpgs was on the top of the world.

Top Bottom