• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

AndrewRyan

Finished Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Easily the best Ratchet game. And the most creative too. PS5 opens up new ways for Insomniac to push the franchise to new heights. It looks, runs and plays great. Very polished. The Dualsense used to the fullest, and with almost every weapon feeling unique. I think Control and Returnal are the only one I've tried that can match Ratchet in terms of inventive ways to show off different weapons and the adaptive triggers. Feels so good to play. Rift Apart is a great showcase for PS5. Insomniac knocked it out of the park with this one.
Didn't realize Control had haptic-trigger support so it was painful reading I missed out. I loved Rift Apart and it's amazing how much Insomniac improved the gameplay of an already terrific R&C.

Ghostrunner is finally clicking after many failed attempts to like it. My dumb ass somehow missed that you can deflect bullets with your sword so they were just picking me off like a sitting duck when on the ground. Luckily the butter-smooth graphics and great 1st platforming/parkour was enough to keep at it.

Not really into fighting games but been playing a little Killer Instinct on the steam deck mostly just to hear the announcer shout ULLLTRRAAA COMMMMMBBBBOOOOO! Never learned to play KI so its combo system is different and interesting.

Also in the the 'never clicked' category is The Last of Us (ps4 remaster on ps5) I'm finally playing after watching the TV series. For whatever reason I always lose interest even though I'm a big fan of ND and stealth. Just arrived at Bill's town so hoping to catch up with the show. Kind of neat experiencing them together.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just beat DQ XI.

Man, that ending was worth all the hassle of Act 3. The final boss was a bit too easy, but I liked the final revelation of the game being a prequel of the first 3 games.

Now I'm even more hyped about that DQ III remake, and really want to play I since as far as I know it's important to understand the plot/ending of III.

But that will be another time, I had my JRPG fill so next up is Hi-Fi Rush and maybe Blasphemous too.

Labolas

Been playing a bunch of demos for up and coming indie games that Steam showcase as an event. These were the ones I had the most fun playing.

Enenra - a game that is a character action game that is clearly inspired by MGR. The combat is good but not perfect. You will get hit by enemies offscreen and right now they do not have any sound ques to let you know that they're about to attack. Unlike MGR, the parry is mapped to a button and you have to parry early. Right now you have only have button to attack and combos can vary if you pause or lock on to an enemy. Also there are finishers as well. There's another weapon in the demo that's supposed be a ranged weapon but it isn't really a ranged weapon, it just has a slightly different moveset. Also the jump is pretty bad. So hopefully they'll keep the platforming to a minimal. Overall, I did like it and enjoyed my time with it.
5bd60944-b53e-4bcc-b95a-ba3ef50fb820.gif
6bdb5de4-5aa4-44c2-9066-b6e7d626d6e8.gif

Slave Zero X - Probably the most unique looking one out of the ones I've played thus far and has most potential to have a lot of mechanics and nuances in its game. I first saw this game being showcase at a fighting game tournament (EVO) last year. I immediately thought the character looked like Hakumen from Blazblue (a fighting game) and was pretty impressed by it. The game has a lot of mechanics that I'm not really even sure what they all do. I think every button on a controller does something. There's a parry that works like Street Fighter 3 Third Strike. A dash lets you cancel out of attacks. There's a run button. You can throw bombs that you can cut and explode early. You have light and heavy slash attacks which you can follow up and do EX attacks. There are aerial raves. There's a burst attack (from Guilty Gear and Blazblue). The only reason issue is that the game doesn't explain these mechanics to you at all. And man, this has a 90's anime and PS1 vibes to it. It reminds of Guyver quite a bit. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for this one.

Detained: Too Good for School - this wasn't showcase but I thought I talked about it anyways. It's basically a beatemup that's in the vein of River City Girls. Ironically enough, I ended up liking this more than River City Girls 2. It has a lot in common with RCG. The game is set on one big map. There's a level up/RPG system in the game. The two girls are awfully similar to Misako and Kyoko. But devil is in the details. The game has sort like dungeons that named Raids. And once you clear a raid, enemies do not respawn unlike the River City games but only reset if you rest for the day. But right now, there are only two raids in the game. From the demo, side quests stuff is regulated to school and are fun unlike RCG2. You can craft weapons or items to level your character up. The only real negatives I have for the demo are that before the update and the dev polish the game, the game had a lot of the combo potential and now that complexity has been reduced and presentation isn't the best rn. Overall, a fun beatemup that is inspired by RCG but does its own thing.
0fd9d060511a8b52e34ff05f876db3a6_original.gif

Last edited:

RPS37

I was making my way through Ragnarok but wanted to play something on XSX on the side.
I had a huge backlog, made a thread, people told me to get back in to Elden Ring or Witcher 3.
i was not digging how Witcher was going.
Then Dead Space and Hi Fi Rush came.
I was getting into them and very impressed. fuck a backlog…

Then Hogwarts dropped.

End of story.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Got pulled back into Elden Ring. 5th playthrough. Due to the massive amount of content I've had difficulties deciding what to play as. There are so many choices that my brain just goes berserk and I just get an unfocused build trying to be everything. So I decided to cosplay as some of the npcs in the game, which I greatly enjoyed doing in DS3 and Demon's Souls.

For this playthrough I went with Master Lusat. One of the more intriguing npcs in the game. A sorcerer who went nuts in his obsession with his research of the stars and glintstones that he actually replaced his brain with said glintstones. Hos outfit looks awesome (and super weird) and he wields the best spells in the game. Can be an interesting and fun run.

sedg87

Banned
Obscure
Really enjoying this so far. Vibes like a 90s horror movie. Combat is decent. Really annoyed I had this sat in my Steam library for years without touching it.

Elden Ring
Just been going around killing some of the mini-bosses in the caves and stuff. The reduvia weapon is making things too easy, so I may switch out to something different.

Last edited:

stn

Same as last weekend: Dead Space (XSX), and Stranger of Paradise: FF Origin (PS4). Both are amazing. I'm getting closer and closer to 100% of the trophies (DLC included) in FF, so once I do that I will add Bloodborne to my list. That's my next platinum challenge.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
WipEout 2048 is BY FAR the best game in The Omega Collection and people who say otherwise shouldn't be trusted with important decisions.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Multiplayer:
Battlefield 2042
Rainbow Six Siege

Single Player:
Dead Space Remake
Gran Turismo 7
Hitman: World of Assassination

PSVR2 is around the corner so I also plan to finish up some PSVR titles soon.

Duchess

Finished The Outer Worlds. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. I was quite indifferent to it in the end.

Now playing Unravel 2. Hmm, another okay game. It's better than the first game, but I still hate the parts where you have to escape from being chased, etc. The game shines with its puzzles, and these sections drag it down.

GOW:R just arrived in the post today, so I'll play that next :)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm doing DLC battles in Fire Emblem Engage and like how each map has it own gimmick. Camilla was especially tough because there was lots of obstacles that gets in your way and there are lots, LOTS of griffin knight in map. Whats worse is some of them carry magical weapons so even my all powerful Louis can taken out by them if I'm not careful.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Really enjoying my time with Hi-Fi Rush.

Managed to do some cool combos on rhythm against the boss of Track 2, which felt very good.

I also like the humor and how everything is animated like a cartoon. Cool stuff.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve completed everything I care to in Monster Hunter Rise. I got to HR110. Got my endgame build and will set it aside until Sunbreak.

I have now made God of War: Ragnarok my priority. I’m also play Marvel Midnight Suns.

My kid is playing Hogwarts Legacy.

Fbh

Still Horizon Forbidden West.
I'm having fun with it, I'm not sure why people were so down on it.

Like yeah Aloy is a very bland character, its mostly a waypoint based open world and there's a few other annoyances (the weapon upgrade system is way too tedious). But I still think the world is really nice and interesting, it has some solid sidequest and the combat is better than the majority of other open world games, also even after 40 hours the visuals still blow me away (aside from some spots during cutscenes when it get REALLY low res )

Exploring Hogwarts and hoping I will get to have some more Garlick time.
Besides that I’m trying to get the Platin trophy in chained echoes but that will probably take some time.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

Ever since I finished GoW Ragnarok I have replayed the originals including GoW1-3 and Ghost of Sparta and just wrapped up GoW3 last night. I still love replaying this series. Having dug out my ps3 to play Persona 3 FES (I’m still big mad they chose to remaster just P3P), I’ll give GoW Ascension another play since I have it there.

I’ve also been playing Tokyo Xanadu which was the impetus for wanting to play P3FES. I’m not sure I’ll stick with it tho. It feels like Ys action game with a Persona school/links system and it’s not really doing it for me.

TLZ

Banned
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

On Switch.

I'm blown away. Never played these before so feels like I'm playing new Mario games. I actually only played the original SMB3 on Famicom. This remake is awesome. Also tried the remake for the SNES but the GBA version feels more responsive for some reason.

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

On Switch.

I'm blown away. Never played these before so feels like I'm playing new Mario games. I actually only played the original SMB3 on Famicom. This remake is awesome. Also tried the remake for the SNES but the GBA version feels more responsive for some reason.
GBA is the holy grail. Snes but even better.

Reactions: TLZ

TintoConCasera

He carries most of weapons you encountered through out the game, which makes him the ultimate test, which what I love about this fight.
Yeah. The fight is an absolute difficulty spike, which can be frustrating at first but man... once the fight "clicks" it really becomes the peak of the game. Great way to end an amazing game for sure.

Fuck this thread, now I want to replay it. ^^u

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah. The fight is an absolute difficulty spike, which can be frustrating at first but man... once the fight "clicks" it really becomes the peak of the game. Great way to end an amazing game for sure.

Fuck this thread, now I want to replay it. ^^u
In my opinion best final boss in FROM game, I enjoyed Elden Ring but Elden Beast was really anticlimactic, Radagon was more epic and give me much more trouble compare to last boss.

TintoConCasera

In my opinion best final boss in FROM game, I enjoyed Elden Ring but Elden Beast was really anticlimactic, Radagon was more epic and give me much more trouble compare to last boss.
Yeah, Radagon should have been the final boss, maybe having two phases instead of just one. The space whale felt out of place imo.

I agree. It really does feel like it. Before playing this the Famicom version was my favourite 2D Mario game, but this GBA remake has definitely taken its place.

Is the responsiveness part true though or is it just me?
On that specific game? I couldn't say really. I trust your opinion but I'd have to compare and do some research

Reactions: TLZ

fart town usa

Gold Member
Panzer Dragoon Zwei. So refreshing after playing through 1 the past few nights. The first one is so brutal at times, I beat it on hard but had to use infinite continues, every time you die you start from the beginning so it's whatever, you still have to actually learn the game. I'd probably develop carpal tunnel trying to master that game. Also, you don't even get a full life bar after each level, just fills it up a bit, lol.

Zwei though, so many quality of life changes and the difficulty itself it totally fair.

Great games though, haven't played them in years but Zwei is head and shoulders above the first game.

Pelao

I'm currently replaying PSVR1 games to retrain my VR legs in preparation for PSVR2. I used to be able to endure about five hours, but now I can barely do two. In addition to some casual experiences like Beat Saber, Tetris Effect and Super Stardust VR, I'm replaying Doom VFR and then I want to replay Resident Evil 7 before I get to play RE8 once PSVR2 arrives.

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned
Elden Ring
Beat Rennala and now I'm on the hunt for some armor to replace the starting samurai armor.

Shiver
Really short point-and-click horror game, but it's a good one. Great atmosphere, solid gameplay, and it's free. I have so many games of this type on Steam and GOG - I need to get around to playing and finishing some.

I'm having a lot of fun replaying Code Veronica. I love how overpowered the knife is in this game, it's nice that it's actually super viable and you can save a lot of ammo just by using it early.

It's actually worth having and not a waste of an inventory slot like some of the other games.

Top Bottom