• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Corian33

Finally getting around to Deathloop. I really love the story, concept and style, but the gameplay hasn’t quite grabbed me the way I hoped it would. I am interested enough to keep exploring and putting together the pieces. Hopefully gets more fun as you accumulate more powers and stuff.

Started playing Stray with my young son watching. He really likes it and I’m intrigued about how it will play out. I went in totally blind other than “You play a cat.”

Roni

Gold Member
Playing Dishonored 2 now. I'm both sad I didn't play this sooner and glad I waited until I could experience this in all its glory on a good rig. Game is absolutely fantastic...

Just finished Hi Fi Rush, What a rush. This game just kept on upping the ante all the way to the end.

Next up is to go back and finish A Plague Tale Requiem, and then finish High on Life.
Atomic Heart After that, then wait for reviews and Neogaf talk about Hogwarts to see if I should actually purchase the game.
2023 is just starting and I'm swimming in games.

I am currently playing Minish Cap.
What a coincidence, I started a playthrough this week! I never finished this game before and have been thinking I should get around to do that. I finished the Deepwood Shrine and it was so much fun. Zelda dungeons are something else. And the pixel art is sso lovely.

GeekyDad

Spider-Man

b3AytCm.jpg
Wow @ the lighting.

I am currently playing Minish Cap.
:messenger_loudly_crying: Take me with you!

I'm at the start of Persona 3 Portable on Switch.

On PC I am thinking about starting Resident Evil games. I have never played any of them before but got the first 3 during the Steam sale. I have £24 in my Steam account but I can't decide if I should buy Dwarf Fortress OR keep it towards Hogwarts Legacy next week.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still going through Dragon Quest XI.

Saw the credits, but the game keeps going on. Not complaining since I'm loving the game, but man, is it ever going to end? :goog_relieved:

I never beat VII nor played VIII, but I can't imagine those having near as much content as XI. They really worked their butt off with this one.

Last edited:

marcincz

Today/tomorrow I'll start Beyond a Steel Sky.
Never played Beneath, but I hope it won't be a problem.

Last edited:
Yakuza like a dragon (ps5) now on chapter 8. I hate that they went turn base, but try to keep on playing for the story (but very close on quiting the game). Lost in random ps5

Caio

how far in are you?
Only 4 hours in, I really need to get used to the combat, I feel "inadequate", not a veteran of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, to say the least. I need to build my own attack and defense strategy, I'm playing with the knight-errant. I did my first sword upgrade, after dying 5 consecutive times, killed by a monster in the cave of "Latibosco"...shame on me :D
Later on, I killed everybody in the Ruins north of the cave, got a Shield talisman in a small cave, met Melina, and so on. I feel like I will be mentally owned by this Game, like digital crack. I love the exploration, it will take ages before I finish this Game.

Crayon

I've finally tried Sega Touring Car. The saturn version. I have never encountered the arcade machine.

:messenger_pensive:

This is so frustrating. I can feel the game underneath. It's really good. A true followup to sega rally. The performance is bad. I could deal with that. But the framerate is bad enough to make the controls feel muddy. Which is too bad because the main issue is the controls.

The control with the dpad renders the game unplayable. The 3d pad control is far better, and even that is dreadful.

The game is completely spoiled and it's just so sad. The handling under there would be so fun.

sedg87

Banned
Cyberpunk
I bought this in December after hearing that it plays pretty decently on PS5. I played for ten hours and haven't seen any bugs or crashes or anything of that nature. Anywho, the game itself is fantastic and I'm really enjoying it. Gone with a sword-type build with some points and perks in body. Just running around Night City swinging around a katana like a madman.

Final Fantasy IX
Started and finished within a couple of days - used the speed increase feature to pretty much sprint through it. Still one of my absolute favourite games. Love the world, the characters, the sidequests, and music.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've finally tried Sega Touring Car. The saturn version. I have never encountered the arcade machine.

:messenger_pensive:

This is so frustrating. I can feel the game underneath. It's really good. A true followup to sega rally. The performance is bad. I could deal with that. But the framerate is bad enough to make the controls feel muddy. Which is too bad because the main issue is the controls.

The control with the dpad renders the game unplayable. The 3d pad control is far better, and even that is dreadful.

The game is completely spoiled and it's just so sad. The handling under there would be so fun.
That one is particularly frustrating because the Saturn port just doesn't hold up when compared to the arcade version, in my opinion anyway. The poor performance just makes it feel so bad.

Crayon

That one is particularly frustrating because the Saturn port just doesn't hold up when compared to the arcade version, in my opinion anyway. The poor performance just makes it feel so bad.

On a happier note, the other game I've been playing (just these two for a week or so here) is the virtua racing while a saturn is hooked up. I have had touring car sitting waiting to try for a year. Never played it.

Now, virtua racing is more interesting. We were talking in a recent saturn thread and I thought up virtua racing, which I had briefly owned a long time ago. I always regretted getting rid of it. Now this was a long time ago and I remembered no specifics except that it had a few types of car and a vague judgement of it being good. So I jumped to ebay and bought a copy.

Returning to the thread, I commented about how I like it and just bought it, along with my vague muddled memories. I got a few replies saying it was bad, and even that my recollection of the performance being good was wrong. Well, then it started coming back. I was remembering a nice smooth 32x version mixed up with the saturn version. I looked up a screenshot of it on native saturn and more memories. My roomate coming home... he is hanging up a coat and says very deadpan "wow that looks like shit".

Anyway I'm prepared for disappointment and sure it should look better. But right off the bat, the feel was there. The game plays good. Virtua Racing gets overlooked because the driving in daytona was so much more dramatic. virtua racing was really low key in comparison. But it's driving was great. It's like the missing link between outrun and daytona. Saturn vr plays right, has a lot of extra tracks which most of these games sorely lacked, has more cars so you can mix up the parameters of the handling.

Shame it's not a superlative port like sega rally, but I've been getting hours out of it.

I booted up Dark Souls 1 last night to see how slow it is compared to Elden Ring and now… you know how it goes.

I’m also getting into Dream Quest on my phone.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Only 4 hours in, I really need to get used to the combat, I feel "inadequate", not a veteran of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, to say the least. I need to build my own attack and defense strategy, I'm playing with the knight-errant. I did my first sword upgrade, after dying 5 consecutive times, killed by a monster in the cave of "Latibosco"...shame on me :D
Later on, I killed everybody in the Ruins north of the cave, got a Shield talisman in a small cave, met Melina, and so on. I feel like I will be mentally owned by this Game, like digital crack. I love the exploration, it will take ages before I finish this Game.
Stop by the OT if you ever want to chat.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I booted up Dark Souls 1 last night to see how slow it is compared to Elden Ring and now… you know how it goes.

I’m also getting into Dream Quest on my phone.
I miss that slowness. :lollipop_crying: Made the movement and combat felt like it had more weight.

TintoConCasera

Demon's Souls is still my favorite. Just slow, careful exploration.
I think my favorite will always be Dark Souls, probably since it's the first one I played. But yeah Demon's is great too, some really great atmosphere at some places.

Also, is it me or was the music better in the earlier games? Elden Ring's OST was good but it wasn't the same, imo.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think my favorite will always be Dark Souls, probably since it's the first one I played. But yeah Demon's is great too, some really great atmosphere at some places.

Also, is it me or was the music better in the earlier games? Elden Ring's OST was good but it wasn't the same, imo.
I'm an outlier but I personally think the OST in Demon's Souls is the only good one. I'm not a big fan of Sakuraba who did most of the Dark Souls OSTs if I'm not mistaken.

The original Demon's Souls OST has so many creepy and unique songs. Flamelurker sounds like something from Conan the Barbarian. It's by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the best OST. Skim the original sometime, not the remake OST. That theme in the safe zone area is great. I had that on repeat for months.

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned
Stranger of Paradise: FF Origin (PS4) - spent the weekend completing the DLC, only have 40% of the second DLC left. After all the DLC and updates to the game, it is now really amazing whereas before it was just good.

I really enjoyed my time with that game. I may have to go back and buy the DLC.

Elden Ring
Just when I thought I was getting my backlog under control, Elden Ring started calling to me. Played 150 hours at launch and haven't played since. Wonder if anything has changed in that time? I was a big tanky warrior type fella the last time out, so this time I think I'll mix it up and try a dex build or something.

I haven't posted in 10,000 years (finally, I'm free!) so I'm just gonna dump anything I played in the last few months and hopefully I won't repeat myself

High on Life – I played like two hours of this and I've gotta say, the guy can write funny jokes but it's like there's no filter... There are jokes that you filter out on a conscious or a subconscious level, and here there's a distressing number of "jokes" that you wouldn't even have to think about before chucking if you were writing a comedy videogame. For eg. there's a knife character who constantly talks about stabbing... that's sub-Borderlands level humour. The gameplay seemed bad too. Zach of OneyPlays/Smiling Friends fame does a few voices and apparently there's a RedLetterMedia cameo too, but there's no incentive great enough to make me sit through this stinker.

Gal Gun Returns – re-release of the original Gal Gun game that wasn't originally released in the west. Also the best Gal Gun game. You're some dweebish high school kid who gets shot with too many Cupid's arrows so now you have to shoot girls to protect yourself from their advances... Basically it's a rail shooter, a playthrough takes an hour roughly and there are four routes that you pick from right at the start.

The level design, as it were, has a good pace – girls will pop up all over the place and it keeps you on your toes. They have weakspots, one of four zones, that will instantly incapacitate them. If you shoot any girl outside of their weakspot then your combo is over. Each route has several unique minigames and they're all fun shooting challenges.

Anyway, this is a really solid rail shooter! It's simple fun (and very easy with mouse aiming) but that's all you want, sometimes.

Gal Gun Double Peace – what if they made a sequel to Gal Gun that was worse in every way? The characters are less fun, the script is dry, the levels poorly paced & dull, and you play the same crap minigame over and over. The sisters from this game are starring in a spin-off 2D platformer game called Grim Guardians which is coming out later this month and will likely pwn because Inti Creates very rarely makes bad platformers (besides Luminous Avenger iX 2)

Gal Gun 2 – the fourth game in the Gal Gun series. In this one an angel from heaven gives you a VR headset and a suction gun; you've been picked as the one who's going to have to go into the girls' showers and suck up any demons that happen to be possessing said girls. It's tough work, but somebody's got to do it.

In all seriousness, there's definitely a progression here... the first game was mostly just cute, okay? I feel like I have to defend its honour.

The obvious gimmick here is that the game is designed for VR headsets (though it's locked behind DLC!!!!! YES!!!!!!! I LOVE MICROTRANSACTIONS FOR FUNDAMENTAL GAME ELEMENTS!), although mouse & keyboard will work fine. Now you have full 360 degree rotation and the girls are much more aggressive – they'll line up and shout projectiles at you, or possessed girls will run up at all angles and knock you to the floor as you frantically shoot at them. You'll have demons to hoover up but at the same time you're being assailed from all over... it's frenetic. I haven't finished this one yet but it's good fun.

Dead Space Remake – it's Dead Space. The game is slightly less scary than Gal Gun 2, and the lore is less appealing, but we can all agree that Dead Space is a good game yeah? Isaac has to run around a space station looking for his fairly haggard 57 year old wife... man, this game really is the anti Gal Gun ain't it? There's a bunch of badly written texts about how a cult runs the space station and they all worship a magic marker. It's the sort of thing that feels like it's going through the motions, regurgitating stale cliches, which is why I stopped reading or listening to any words the game presented me with after the first half hour. Fun game though. 7.9/10

Resident Evil 4 VR – I bought a VR headset for Gal Gun 2. Let that sink in for a second. Anyway, RE4VR is a surprisingly complete conversion of RE4 for the Meta Quest 2, with immersive features like pulling guns and ammo from your body. My main peeve with this is that entering the inventory is slow and takes you out of things... you can only equip one small and one large weapon at a time, plus a grenade and healing item, so it's necessary to open it quite often. Aiming is easier than with a controller, but everything else is more difficult, so it ends up feeling reasonably well balanced for VR. All in all, this is great fun – RE4 is an all time classic, after all.

Neptunia Sisters Vs Sisters – why do they keep making these games and why do I keep buying them? Why have I completed more than ten different Idea Factory games? (Not even counting outsourced Neptunia spin-offs.) The script here feels about on the level of VII, except the funny characters aren't present so actual jokes are too sparse and there's an overreliance on simply referencing things that actually exist in lieu of wit. The battle system is bad but at least it's breezy, fights don't take too long. Why do I keep buying these?

Stay Out of the House – as far as this kind of game goes, this was pretty good! You get abducted after stepping into the eponymous house and, after breaking out of your cage, you skulk around with the aim of somehow escaping. There's a killer, and there's also an old lady in a wheelchair who scoots around at speed and will alert the killer on discovering you. When you're spotted, the killer is extremely aggressive and accompanied by a bright red glow – it's a simple thing but it really conveys the murderous rage of the killer.

The house itself is a fairly compact setting, so you're never that far from danger. There's a pervasive feeling of claustrophobia and you have to stay aware of your surroundings, at least to the extent of considering escape routes; the killer can also leave bear traps and will even set up cameras, so you really do have to be cautious at all times. Since the game does such a good job of rooting the environment via the gameplay, the atmosphere is enhanced and exploration feels meaningful... in that sense it's reminiscent of something like the Resident Evil 2 remake, but obviously the gameplay isn't nearly as developed as in that game. Progression is mostly made by finding the correct location to use the correct item, and you will undoubtedly miss something at some point and waste a lot of time searching... I wouldn't feel too bad if you have to use a guide on this game.

Anyway, I'd give a strong recommendation to anyone who wants to play a solid indie horror game. There's a little more to the gameplay than I described, but I wouldn't want to spoil it.

oji-san

Banned
Hitman World of Assassination, i don't like stealth games so it's not a good fit but i need something to play that it's not too long before Atomic Heart released, played the training missions and 2 of Hitman 1 missions and it's kinda fun but clearly i'm not doing it right as some of the targets i shot and run since i'm lousy in stealth, lets see how far can i go that way.
The game looks and runs fantastic on XSX.

Hitman World of Assassination, i don't like stealth games so it's not a good fit but i need something to play that it's not too long before Atomic Heart released, played the training missions and 2 of Hitman 1 missions and it's kinda fun but clearly i'm not doing it right as some of the targets i shot and run since i'm lousy in stealth, lets see how far can i go that way.
Hitman games are always best when you're roleplaying as a clumsy assassin imo, walking around looking for the proscribed best method/s of killing the target is less fun than just whacking them off and ending up having to get out of a bad situation

Hitman 3 looks worse than 1 and 2 because the bums at Io Interactive never fixed its broken HDR. Pisses me off so much and you can't use auto hdr to fix it. (If anyone knows a way to force auto hdr on xbox please let me know!)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got the platinum in GOWR, now trying to play Deathloop while I wait for Hogwarts. DL isn't clicking with me so far... I feel like I don't understand how it's supposed to be played.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Series X
Battlefield 2042
Halo Infinite multiplayer
Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer
Age of Empires
Cyberpunk

PS5
Hogwarts
Death Stranding
GT7

Shifty1897

That’s neat. Makes me want to pull out Parasite Eve’s EX Mode. What RPG are you going to dive into next? I finished TO:R, but my party didn’t tackle the optional stuff yet.
Great question! Currently not starting anything until today's Nintendo Direct. If rumors are true and Advance Wars 1+2 inexplicably releases this Friday, I'll buy and start that. Otherwise, I have Chained Echoes downloaded onto the Switch, I'll probably start playing that.

sedg87

Banned
Elden Ring
Defeated Margit and Godrick. Using the Reduvia weapon and it's making everything pretty easy.

Think I might start Resident Evil remake or a horror game from my backlog, too. Looking at Obscure, Home Sweet Home, Penumbra: Overture, Dark Fall, and Phasmaphobie. Leaning toward Obscure, I think.

one more game I missed off the last post

Halo Reach

I truly don't understand this one. It's not fun. There are a few decent moments – the final level was cool, as was the ending sequence – but ultimately it's a mediocre game at best. Enemies feel like bullet sponges, and playing through feels like a chore.

Hi-Fi RUSH

It's hard to dislike this game, and I like the battle system, but the vast majority of the game so far is platforming! The rhythm gameplay doesn't really work with platforming, either, so it undermines the entire premise. There's no reason to platform with the rhythm. But it's such a charming game... the visual direction is so good, and anyone can run the game well. Even low-to-mid-end graphics cards can play this comfortably at 4K120FPS with DLSS.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just finished the main campaign & free roam objectives for Art of Rally. Easy 9/10 for me. I'll be following the devs to whatever game they release next.
I played exclusively on the Steam Deck and my play time total is sitting at 20 hours, which includes probably 1-2 hours of idle time in there.

Absolutely wonderful game to play. I really enjoyed that there is no emphasis on getting first every race or series. In fact, the only 'penalty' is for doing the race restarts. This sets the player up to just learn to accept the mistakes. It teaches you to focus on honing your skills in an attempt to become a better driver all around. I really feel like the devs understand the ethos of racing. Kudos to them. This is not an arcade racer, so if the visuals and gameplay interest you, know that going in. It's not exactly simulation tier, but they lean much more heavily in that direction.

I can really only nitpick some of the conditions, like rain on dirt tracks plays more like being on a sheet of ice than in the rain. Once you get that, everything is fine and I actually tended to perform better on those tracks in terms of placing. The s-class races are bit chaotic, as well. A-class and below hit all the right spots for me.

I like that there are daily and weekly challenges, as I will probably keep those until they get stale.

I wound up with 38/43 achievements at the end. Dunno if I will go for the achievement of 1,000 rallies completed as I'm currently at 244. I'll probably pop on and try to get the others. One is just for reaching a high speed and the others relate to damaging your car.
qIZ6gYK.png

Here's a quick cap of what the visuals (pls ignore the bad driving, I was just testing out capturing footage on my Deck :messenger_loudly_crying: Thaedolus Thaedolus no bully :messenger_loudly_crying:)

Cheers to Rex_DX Rex_DX once again for the recommendation! :messenger_heart:

TintoConCasera

Almos finished with DQ XI, only have a few sidemissions left and then it's time for the final battle.

While I love the game I'm not quite happy with how they handled Act 3:
Going back in time, while cool on paper, is really kinda dumb since you are throwing all the character development of Act 2 into the trash, and replacing it by a much less developed and kinda rushed alternative.
I get that it's supposed to be some kind of post-game in order to unlock the true ending, but still.

Aside from that, I really liked this Dragon Quest game. My favorite parts where the tournament in Octagonia (reminded me a lot of the tournaments in Dragon Ball) and basically everything in Act 2, and that scene where the hero exits Heliodor, gets on his horse and this starts playing:

The music in this game is fantastic. It cheats a little bit by having a lot of themes from previous games but whatever.

Now looking forward to the remake of III. Here's hoping we get some more info on that sooner rather than later.

Mr Hyde

Finished HiFi Rush. The final stretch was pretty brutal in terms of difficulty but overall this game was a blast to play. I'm normally not into rhythm games or combo based action games like DmC but Tango manages to fuse both genres and do it extremely well.

Production values are top notch, beautiful artstyle, charming characters and a funny story. I'm surprised I ended up digging this one as much as I did. I think it will become a cult classic in the future.

I don't think it will be my personal GOTY, way too many heavy hitters this year for me, but I'm not surprised if the game do end up on people's lists by the end of the year. But I do think John Johanas should get a nomination for best director at the Game Awards, because the direction in this game is nothing short of sublime. It reminds me of Edgar Wright and his style of direction in movies like Scott Pilgrim and Baby Driver.

Top Bottom