• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Still going through Hogwarts Legacy. There's a few puzzles I've yet to figure out, including one of the 3 Hogwarts secrets. I'm nearing the end of the main story, so dragging my feet by doing all the side quests I can find. Once I do finish, however, I'll restart and play through as Slytherin.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Playing Elden Ring. Wanted a fresh playthrough before Shadow of the Erd Tree. Doing a Golden Order build which I've never tried before. I'm also hoping From will include a casting tool or weapon that let's you cast both sorcery and incantations. They had it in previous games but not ER. So stupid.

And what a disgusting area Caelid is. Did From Software actually think this was supposed to be fun? Did they actually sit down and play it and be like "this is so much fun Miyazaki. What a great area you have thought up. But do you know what's missing? Some more SCARLET ROT AND CROWS!!!"

Wankers.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Playing Ghostrunner 2. I never finished Ghostrunner 1. I encountered a bug that cost me an entire level that was really annoying and I said fuck you and never went back. So far this game is a lot better but it could be sooo much better. They made these games too unforgiving. They aren’t insanely difficult but they’re annoying. The game has opened up a bit where I am and you get this motorcycle that’s so much fun to drive with. It’s honestly the best part of the game. And where I am right now the areas are a bit more open. And I’m like man if they made an entire game like this and were more forgiving in how easy it is you die, this would be a legit top tier game for me. As it stands it’s just a solid game that i find inconsistent. Really good in parts, really annoying in others.

Finished RE7 - really solid game I enjoyed it thoroughly. After the ship it kind of went downhill but was over quick so eh. Sad there isn't a new game plus like a lot of the newer RE games have.

Started RE8. Surprised how same yet different it is, it's like RE7 mixed with RE4 at least that's how I feel so far. Only a couple hours in but I don't really like how supernatural it is. It's a little overt it seems like but I'll give it time and see where it goes.

They have a weird obsession with cutting off Ethan's limbs or damaging that guy, getting impaled or stabbed 😆.

In 7 at least I kind of figured the reason he could reattach the limbs was because he was infected (though as far as I can tell he never took a cure so...) But how does that make any sense in 8? Guess I'll see as I proceed, but assume it's just never addressed. Lol

foamdino

I finished Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader (PC) this weekend. Great game, a couple of parts which were a slog (final two ship combats I dropped difficulty to easy just to get past them and back to the meat of the game). However the atmosphere, lore, writing etc were very good. The very last chapter I thought was going to be this short, rushed thing (from reading other reviews etc) it was shorter, it didn't feel rushed however. There were a good couple of twists and the final boss was good (although easier than expected). But the thing that took this from a solid 8.5/10 to 9.5/10 for me was the epilogue text. The "this is what happened to X" for each of your companions and the worlds etc. - perfect grimdark endings for everyone.

I also closed out Call of the Sea on PS5 - I love puzzle games and this was pretty good. Not too long and a nice change of pace from everything else I'm half way through right now..

Hogwarts Legacy (PS5): in the final stretch but now I'm closing off merlin trials, sidequests, collections etc
Octopath Traveller 2 (PS5): Not had a chance to get back to this since unlocking my 3rd character
Granblue fantasy relink (PS5): Just got my first new crewmate, still quite early on in the story
Last Epoch (PC): Had a rocky server launch, but the game itself is very good
Unicorn Overlord Demo (PS5): I'm astounded by how good this is - straight into my best games of 2024 list

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Got addicted to Elden Ring by now.

But seriously... We never got regular medium sized game again? The amount of content here is just INSANE. I mean, I'm around 30 hours in an feel like I barely even scred the surface. Like 80% of the main map is still unexplored and there are a whole of 3 sub-maps from what I can see. From, what the fuck are you doing? What's the upcoming "DLC" game lenght gonna be? 100 hours then too? Just imagine playing the main game + DLC then from scratch? If your a normal person with job you're gonna look at a game you'll play for a year to finish. Crazy stuff...

Sausy1987

Baldurs Gate 3 (Steam) Battlefield 2042, COD , Fifa Career mode & Evil West on Ps5. Pleasantly suprised by Evil West only tried it tie me over to FF rebirth but I think I will finish it now its hard enough!!

In RE7 there's no save data to upload from PS4, you can just open the PS5 versions and convert existing PS4 data on your HDD.. is this not true with Village?

I played PS4 vers while I waited for the PS5 to download and now it acts like my only option is to "upload" the data, ie psplus which I don't have. Did they seriously restrict save file transfer to ps plus in village? Lame as hell, not restarting the game to play on PS5. 😢

Edit: I think I was wrong. I don't think you need PsPlus though the verbage makes it sound like you do, but it wasn't connecting until I tested my internet connection then it magically worked. Not sure why it couldn't be super easy like all the other RE games but oh well, at least it's done.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playing some Fallout 3 Point Lookout, don't want to start a new game since I'm picking up Rebirth tomorrow.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Such a bittersweet moment in Elden Ring... Struggled to learn all the patterns from the Bell Bearing Hunter for quite some time and then look how I finally beat him...

Feels like I cheesed the fight. I almost had him legit a few times before that. Feels like he's laughing at me...

034.jpg

Miyazaaaaakkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Last edited:

Dazraell

I've finished PoP: The Sands of Time. It was rather short, but quite fun game to reexperience after so many years. I was surprised how much I forgot from last levels, but after replaying them I realize why - they were the weakest part of the game

I'm currently playing Deadfall Adventures. I never had a chance play it earlier despite having it downloaded on my Steam Deck for a while and decided to try it. I completed about 3 levels and I like it so far. This definitely gives an outlook how Indiana Jones from MachineGames could feel like, but in this case it feels more like The Mummy-styled adventure. The story and VO are mediocre, but action segments, level design and overall gameplay is solid. I especially like how balanced this game feels - it's not a pure shooter, but it spends a lot of time on solving puzzles and exploration

Dancer_BV

Such a bittersweet moment in Elden Ring... Struggled to learn all the patterns from the Bell Bearing Hunter for quite some time and then look how I finally beat him...

Feels like I cheesed the fight. I almost had him legit a few times before that. Feels like he's laughing at me...

034.jpg

Miyazaaaaakkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I can understand why you'd feel this way, but I think you actually did a great job fighting him. Only within the last few seconds did he get stuck; 95% of the fight, you beat him fair and square.

It might have made for an anticlimactic ending for you, but if you swap the final segment of the fight with a segment in the middle, it still only earned you a few hits.

Excellent work. ♡

SteadyEvo

Tecmo Bowl on NES via Switch online. Having way more fun with this vs Madden. There are only 4 plays to choose from. Passing game is surprisingly fun, having to read the D to find the open man. And there's inly 2 buttons used. A modern take on this formula would be great.

MastAndo

Last Epoch - I've only put about 5 hours in so far, but I'm enjoying it. I'm always game for an ARPG that can be played with a controller for comfy couch gaming, and beyond that, this is checking a lot of boxes for me. Yeah, controller support isn't perfect yet, but there are some quality of life things happening from the start that really help make it an enjoyable experience for a casual like me.

NahaNago

I had the same idea. I've tried to play through FF7 Remake three times now. I just can't do it. I tried again all day yesterday and part of today. It's just so tedious and boring. It makes me want to re-play the original again.

Oh well, saves me the $100 for Rebirth.
Finally finished the game and the last few missions weren't that bad but the game honestly looks pretty cheap in the environment. Like you would have these amazing views but at the same time realize you aren't going anywhere near there and it is just a fake background most likely. I did enjoy the characters and grinding but that was pretty much it. I'm going to stop it at that cause I'll just keep complaining about the game.

Yerd

I finished Midnight Suns a couple days ago. Not going to go into ng+. Uninstall time. Not sure what to play while I wait for DD2 release. Many games I have left unfinished.

Decided to FINALLY go back to Batman Arkham City. Just picked up where I left off and definitely will restart.

But almost made it a full decade between achievements.

jqRy2QL.jpg
That was one tough riddle.

Tecmo Bowl on NES via Switch online. Having way more fun with this vs Madden. There are only 4 plays to choose from. Passing game is surprisingly fun, having to read the D to find the open man. And there's inly 2 buttons used. A modern take on this formula would be great.

Have you used Jerry Rice yet? I remember him being the star player. I'm assuming you aren't old enough to have played the original back in the day.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I finished Midnight Suns a couple days ago. Not going to go into ng+. Uninstall time. Not sure what to play while I wait for DD2 release. Many games I have left unfinished.

That was one tough riddle.

Have you used Jerry Rice yet? I remember him being the star player. I'm assuming you aren't old enough to have played the original back in the day.
Lol, it most certainly was.

I actually just finished it last night. Great overall game. Overall pacing for the story was good and I did enough side content to be content.
Since this was the GOTY edition, the Catwoman DLC was sprinkled in throughout the game. The idea to put her final mission immediately after after the credits dampened Batman's ending for me. Maybe because it was very late at night and I was ready to sleep, but fighting Two-Face with what appeared to be infinitely spawning guards pissed me off.

Recently finished my last (for now) playthrough of Trials of Mana; Kevin was able to one-shot Anise's second form with his 4th class strike, so I see this game as a huge success lol

Not sure what I'm going to play next though... I bought Atelier Ryza during the Steam Winter sales so probably that? How complex is it to get into, are there any missables?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Still Elden Ring. Trying to find my way in Raya Lucaria. It's actually the first time my enthusiam goes down with this game now, 40 hours in. Don't like that level. The layout is quite confusing, even more so that Stormveil Castle. Finding all the items is going to be a pain...

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just blasted through FF7R Intermission to get Yuffie's story beats. Probably could've watched a few YouTube videos on this one.

Now to get back to Rebirth (replaying the same area as the demo because why not).

FFVII Remake, half on PS5, half on Steam Deck through remote play. I tried to play it before and it didn’t stick, but really enjoying it this time. So much so that I bought Rebirth already…

95mellow

Playing a few things currently.

Balatro - this rules.

STALKER: Clear Sky - enjoying this, but definitely see why it's the black sheep of the series.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - never touched this series, only about an hour in.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Finished (Return to Grace) on Gamepass. Wonderful experience. Highly recommend.

Currently playing A Hat in Time on Switch.

Rebirth is soooo good, and I'm still just questing around the Grasslands. This is exactly what I was hoping FFXVI would be. That setting and story, with Rebirth style gameplay - that would certainly have been a GOTY contender last year. Sad we got MMO DMC.

Currently having a second attempt at FFVII Remake but on Steam Deck this time. On Chapter 6 and really enjoying it so far. I know to expect a lot of filler which I didn't anticipate first time.

I think it'll take me up to Dragons Dogma 2 release to finish it and then I'll be walking straight into that.

Dazraell

I've finished Deadfall Adventures. While I found the story rather boring and cast of characters as uninspired, I actually enjoyed its gameplay loop. The balance between combat and solving various puzzles provided quite fresh experience. I was also continuosly impressed with the level design. Devs really nailed the style and aesthetics of each location. Some really quality stuff there

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. Just reached the side quests segment in Grasslands region. So far I have a lot of fun, the only gripe I had were some wonky animations, especially crouching during stealth segments. But overall the game takes the gameplay from Remake and takes it to another level. Feels exactly the same as from coming from Midgar to world map in the original version

Last edited:

T-Cake

Rediscovered Train Valley 2 (which I last played 5 years ago according to Steam achievements) and it's got many more levels for me to complete now.

Started up my first playthrough of Final Fantasy XII. Been sitting in my backlog for over 6 years and finally getting around to it.

Only about 4-5 hours in so far and I'm enjoying it. None of the characters are annoying and the story is easy to follow. Being able to speed up time when you have to backtrack is such a nice QOL feature that I understand wasn't in the original release. Looking forward to diving into the sidequests which I hear are excellent and some of the best in the franchise.

M.W.

Playing a fuck ton right now. FF7RB, Rocket League, Banishers, Last Epoch, GranBlue, Helldivers 2, Deep Rock G Survivor, PGA Tour, Mudrunner Expeditions, BF2042, SSKTJL and Balatro.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Starting my journey in Caelid in Elden Ring. I’m afraid I won’t make it to the end within end of next week when my holidays end. Man, this game is so huge, unbelievable considering the amount of unique content. Truly a game for the ages.

Crayon

Well I won't be starting rebirth for a bit. :<

Not gonna jump the gun on it. T8 is doing it's thing to me, my wife is still all over the PS5 for bg3. Plus we have a co op game going that she still wants to finish.

I was ready to wait a week or three for the right time but it might turn into more. It's my most anticipated game and it'll be better to wait for a really good time to start.

RAIDEN1

I didn't "play it" but recently I completed watching the walkthrough of "Pacific Drive" (I don't have a PS5 or a cutting edge PC for it...) and it was an enjoyable watch, especially the banter between the folks that are trying to help "the driver" get through the anomaly of an area you are trying to navigate through., but whilst watching it I don't miss the level of micro-management that would be involved just to keep your car in one-piece...

I saw this song yesterday on TV, a classic and I think if the developers had got the rights to it, it would have worked PERFECTLY with the game:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A friend of mine has this weird proclivity with games. He's the mentally laziest person on the planet, so when he starts new games, he'll play them for like 5 minutes, then turn it off and go back to his previous game because he doesn't want to learn the new gameplay mechanics, systems, control scheme, etc and all that stuff. So for most of his gaming life he's spent like 75% of it playing just a handful of games that he plays over and over and over again. He'll stick with games he knows even if he's played them to death because he'd rather just play a game he doesn't have to learn and knows inside and out than learn something new. Even if he's bored of the games, he'd rather be bored than spend the mental energy to learn a new game. Some games he'll play for years and nothing else. And these aren't multiplayer games btw either. He played the game Freedom Fighters on PS2 all the time. And he tried getting into Xbox 360/PS3 when they came out, but as usual, he'd give the game a few minutes, sometimes a few days, not have the mental capacity to learn the new game and then go back to Freedom Fighters. He played Freedom Fighters regularly, I'm not joking, until well into the 2010s. He said he doesn't even really like it that much, he just knows the game well.

I've been trying to get him into newer consoles over the last 5 years because I know there's some games he'd flat out love if he would just sack up and put forth the effort to learn them and get into them. And to my surprise it was actually working. I gave him my old PS4 a handful of years back and he bought some games for it. God of War, Resident Evil 2 Remake, a few others. He beat all them eventually, and loved them. He freaking loved RE2 Remake. He loved God of War, but God of War took him like a year to complete, and he never would've went back to it if I didn't implore him to do so. But he finally did only because his old PS2 gave out and he couldn't go back to Freedom Fighters. And this other game he got on PS4, some RTS game he played that wasn't very difficult to learn he kept going back to that. I forget the name of it.

Over the past year or so he started to get into newer games more so I recommended a bunch of games and he bought some of them. The latest were God of War Ragnarok and Red Dead 2. He did the same he usually does. He started each for under an hour and went back to that RTS game on PS4. But eventually he got to God of War Ragnarok and finished it. He loved it. Then after that instead of jumping into Red Dead 2, he went back to the RTS game. I'd ask him every few weeks if he started getting into RDR2 and he kept saying "Not yet" and make up some nonsensical reason like "It's too cold out to play Red Dead 2, that's more of a summer game for me" when I knew the real reason was it's a complex game that takes a lot to learn and he was too lazy to learn it. But whatever, he can do what he wants, so I stopped asking.

Then fate intervened again. The save data on his RTS got corrupted or something happened to it and he lost all his data. And he got fed up so he finally buckled down and started Red Dead 2. And he'd text me about it and how amazing and realistic it was and how much he liked it. And he'd text me questions about it off and on and offer advice. This was over the span over a few weeks. Then one day I stopped getting texts about the game and I'd ask him if he's still playing it and he'd just say he's taking a little gaming break to focus on catching up on some movies and shows he missed.

So the other day I went over his place to hang out a bit and I'm walking through his TV room and I notice he has a PS2 hooked up to his TV. And I'm I thought your PS2 broke and you got rid of it. He's like no I bought a refurbished one recently. And then I stopped for a second and I was like wait a minute.... don't tell me. And I went over to it and hit the eject button and inside his PS2 is Freedom Fighters. And he starts laughing. And then I pieced it all together. He never took a break from gaming to catch up on movies or shows. He stopped Red Dead 2 because it was too much to learn and went back to Freedom Fighters again. In 2024. And my days of trying to get him into new things have ended. It felt like it was working there for a while, but this is the final defeat, I'm taking my L on this one.

Just wanted to share this random story.

foamdino

I've just finished Hogwarts Legacy (PS5) this weekend. Overall a very solid game (8.5/10 for me).

I really hope the studio reuse the amazing art assets and world they built and just do a new story and add some systems - it would be criminal to spend all that time and effort crafting a great game world and then only use it for a single game - but you know AAA gaming, I bet the sequel is set in Africa or something.

Back to Octopath Traveller 2 and Gran Blue Fantasy Relink now, Last Epoch is a very cool ARPG that I'm happily churning through.

Mitsurux

Continuing on my JRPG's I some how missed journey

Scarlet Nexus (XSX) - About 3 hours into this one. Really enjoy the combat, being able to grab various items in the surroundings and smash them into enemies is great fun. Level design on the other had.. is kinda bland, generic run down warehouses, generic run down construction sites, dark boring subway lines. The actual city areas are quite visually interesting etc. Lot of characters and the abilities to use their skills yourself adds a lot to the combat. The Story really hasn't ramped up yet. I will be continuing to play this for now, but I'm 90% sure I'm going to drop it once Unicorn Overlord comes out.

Pocket Card Jockey: Ride on (Switch) Loved this game on the 3DS, and am loving it on the Switch just a great pick up and play a few races type of game. The few adjustment they made have been really good (Though the ability to not share your horses with friends kinds stinks)

Last edited:
Today, I inserted an Ocarina of Time cartridge into an N64 for the first time since 1999. I changed my avatar to celebrate.

I never did finish this game. I got to the shadow temple on the N64 back then, and maybe halfway there on the 3DS ten years ago. Let's see if I can complete it now.

Nevadatan

So after 15 years im starting Fallout, again. this time im not picking up bloody mess tyvm.
basically because a mate started 2 a week ago and i said why the hell no.
aside of the janky frame pacing, the game plays surprisingly good. even on this part, vault 15, where on the Community Edition crashes like crazy

lkyHyWeq_o.png

Dr.Morris79

Currently going between a few games..

cLl8sSv.jpg

QnWpNCi.png

X0pMdDp.jpg

And Helldivers 2.

They've all be brilliant so far. The eternal cylinder reminds me of why I love gaming and the Screen 7 games remind me of some old forgotten indie Amiga games, dark subjects, weird puzzles, I love this stuff.

Helldivers 2. That's just balls out fun. The gun sounds are spot on. I'd love an Aliens game in the vein of this.

Top Bottom