• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Lanrutcon

Since they fixed the CPU usage bug with MHW: Iceborne I have been having a blast.

LBG Sticky 3 all day, every day. If the monster isn't horizontal then I'm doing something wrong.

Rodolink

Just finished kingdom hearts 3 yesterday. 40hr. Last battle was kinda hard and the only one that had to try several times until getting the right pattern.
I started this with somehow low spectations i don't know why i got the impression it was not very well received. But i don't know it seemed a great entry to the series, extremely high production levels. Enjoyed it mostly although some worlds were a little boring.
Best ones imo were Caribbean and Corona.

Now deciding which to start, if Pikmin 3, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata or getting Sekiro.

On the portable side I started Chrono Trigger DS but still don't know why i can never get hooked with this one. Already started it like dozens of times but anyways stop somewhere after the out of time place. I have to push though! 😤💪

Last edited:

Terenty

Interstate 76.

What a game, full package- great gameplay mechanics, beautiful graphics, great soundtrack, movie like voice acting, challenging and stylish as fuck. This is what great games are all about

Last edited:

Paltheos

Trails in the Sky. I think allot of hardcore Falcom fans will hate me for this but in allot of ways this game is showing its age compared to the newer Cold Steel games.

I just had a villain escape me for the 3rd time and and twice via the use of a damn smoke bomb. The latter case is far worse though because in order to escape they would have needed to run around me, and naturally none of my team's aces could like listen for their footsteps as they run on the stone pathways of their hideout to figure out which way they went either. One of the baddies was even obviously confused that an escape was even going on because he was suffering from spontaneous amnesia. Come on.

I'll take teleportation over this in a heartbeat. Way simpler.

Moogle11

Banned
I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn. Don't see what's so special about it.

For me I loved the story/lore/setting, the gameplay with using all the different gadgets to set up traps and so on to help take down big robo dinosaurs and that it looked amazing. It's second behind God of War as my game of the generation.

It may not be your cup of tea, though I'd say if you haven't unlocked/tried all the gadgets like the ropecaster, trip lines etc. it may be worth playing a bit more as it really clicked with me once I got and started using more weapon types.

But games are inherently subjective and Sony's style of cinematic, narrative-drive third person action-adventure games are my absolute favorite games the past couple of generations so I'm going to like them more than someone with different genre/style preferences of course.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I just finished up Shadow of the Colossus and Code Vein and very close to finishing Bioshock 2. Still playing Siege a lot and MHW off and on.

Also slowly making my way through Judgment and Breath of the Wild.

Thurible

How is the expansion? I really enjoyed the campaign in Splatoon 2, is it on the same level?
Its quite interesting and a bit harder than the normal campaign. You start out as an octoling with amnesia after a battle with agent 3. Somehow you and captain cuttlefish are trapped underground near this subway system. You have to collect these four "thangs" (special items) to get to "paradise" (outside I would assume). The way you go from level to level is rather open ended as you travel from train line to train line, however you have to follow the lines straight through and can't go wherever you want. Its not like how in the campaign you can choose whatever hole in the world to jump into, but you can find and choose different routes to "worlds".

As you collect thangs you get these "mem cakes" which are cute little eraser looking representations of people, enemies, and things in splatoon with a weird, sometimes strangely poetic description of them. I believe they represent lost memories and thoughts. If you collect the full set from a line you get new stuff to wear when you finally get outside.

As for the game itself, when you get into a level you are actually given several choices for your loadout (it is almost always not chosen for you). The easier loadouts for the level usually result in less C.Q. points (credits) and more for the harder ones. Which reminds me, you have to pay to have an attempt at the level with the ingame currency C.Q. points (from a C.Q. cumber, lol). I don't know what happens if you loose all your points though.

The challenges can be quite difficult at times and have a variety of goals and tasks. There is one where you have to move a giant 8 ball to the goal and time and position it to get ahead. Some challenges make you have a finite amount of ink to use, some make you use your specials for plain movement (there are jetpack stages). So far I would say it is very fun and varied, but even though splatoon isn't exactly a hard game do not expect a walk in the park. I have played several levels multiple times because I couldn't get through it the first time.

So far I would say it is very fun and varied, but even though splatoon isn't exactly a hard game do not expect a walk in the park. I have played several levels multiple times because I couldn't get through it the first time.

Sold! A slightly harder campaign is exactly what I wanted. Movement in this game is such a joy, I'm not a huge multiplayer guy so getting more SP time out of this is great.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
On the portable side I started Chrono Trigger DS but still don't know why i can never get hooked with this one. Already started it like dozens of times but anyways stop somewhere after the out of time place. I have to push though! 😤💪
I was in the exact same situation as you. I kept trying to start it over the years and would get distracted. Then about 2 years ago, I persevered.

I really enjoyed it, but felt that I would have been blown away a lot more if I had played it closer to the SNES release date.

Still a wonderful game. Keep going.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Currently playing Lumines Remastered and trying to get to Level 100. I managed 97 last night but as things get faster I start making stupid mistakes. Whats worse is that I can't bring myself to play anything else until I manage it.

Rodolink

I was in the exact same situation as you. I kept trying to start it over the years and would get distracted. Then about 2 years ago, I persevered.

I really enjoyed it, but felt that I would have been blown away a lot more if I had played it closer to the SNES release date.

Still a wonderful game. Keep going.
Yeah me too, I remember when i was a kid reading club nintendo magazine on how to get all endings. Now I'm only concerned on getting one lol.

Getting back into:

Rage-2

This can feel very cyberpunky in some areas. Having fun with it. Anyone ever see the Movie Spacehunter? This is Spacehunter: the game.

Just started:
Dead-Cells

Getting back into my arcade reflexes! Fun game, different from what I usually play. A lot of fun so far.

Also going back to to...

Because it's Ghostbusters of course. looks great. The levels are bigger than I remembered.

Last edited:

Agent_X

Neo Member
Red Faction 1 (GOG), never played it before, I'm enjoying it because of the environment (NOT the so called Geo-Mod), but I do admit it has many flaws.

Animagic

Banned
Currently playing Persona Q2. It’s ok. It’s not a good persona game and it’s not a good etrian odyssey game.
since it combines both you would think it would be the ultimate of both but it somehow ends up being not as good as either.

I’m still enjoying it but man it’s a grind.
Without a captivating story or world to draw you in, it’s just a lesser version of the games that it’s built on.

if they make another one of these they need to do more to distinguish it from what’s come before and make it a lot less grindy. I honestly would be surprised if we ever see another Persona Q game though. After two games, this side series has done all its ever going to do.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Sundered and it was awesome. It should have had proper maps though, instead of that rogue lite shit. Then it would have been one of the best Metroidvanias. The art style, combat and bosses were fucking great. Controlled really well too. Gonna have fond memories of this one in the future.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Still plugging away at Octopath traveler.. man love the game but it is tough keeping everyone leveled up for their chapters, and some of the optional quest boss dungeons are no joke.

Last edited:
Still plugging away at Octopath traveler.. man love the game but it is tough keeping everyone leveled up for their chapters, and some of the optional quest boss dungeons are no joke.
If you are referring to the four optional bosses that grant you the four extra classes, those were the hardest battles in the entire game for me, barring the post-game final battle.

So don't feel bad if you're banging your head against a wall.

ashen

i'm really enjoying the first hours. A good progression balance between story, exploration, combat and rewards. And i love the graphics style!

Orta

Banned
I'm a good hour into Unravel 1 (PC).

I recently completed part 2 and this has none of its charm. It's dull, controls are fiddly and just plain...... dull.

Don't think I'll bother going back to it. Very disappointing.

sol_bad

Finally finished Japanese Super Mario Bros 2, Worlds 7 and 8 really ramp up the difficulty, World 7-3 with the springs over bottomless pits, fuck that.
Felt so good finishing that last stage.

Due to my current living arrangements I have had to play my emulated games on my laptop and I've come to realise that the Samsung KS8000 still has lag even with game mode turned on. SMB2 felt easier to play on my laptop, difficult jumps were easier to manage.

Now I definitely want a HDMI 2.1 TV when I get back to Australia.

lachesis

Finished Resident Evil Zero just now on Steam. I bought the game on GC, but never got around to play it more than couple of minutes in the beginning. For me, most RE games that I struggle most in the beginning... and I tend to leave it before I progress further into. Anyhow, I don't have the GC and thought I would be able to play the game on my Wii - but my Wii broke down. Not much of emulator user - so I bought it cheap on Steam a while ago during one of its sales.... It was one of my long list of RE games to play before I get to RE2 Remake (Still to play Re6, Revelations 2 and Re7 beforehand.)

I know the chronological order isn't much of importance at this point of RE - but call me old fashioned, that I like to play the games by release date order. (Same goes to movies or TV series or Anime series etc)...

Anyhow, RE0 was quite hard! I mean, I'm not sure if Alternate control scheme even helped either. For old generation RE games, I think tank control may be superior - because every time the camera changes, I would have to re-orient myself, otherwise move straight into trouble. Because of that, I feel the game became much harder than anticpated - too much of needless damage taking during battles. Whenever I tried to distance myself from coming zombies - I end up moving towards to them because of darn camera changes!

On top of that, having to take care of 2 characters at once, Item juggling and dropping and going all the way back to pick them up etc... I love RE games - Loved original 1, 2 (but not as much for the 3, that it really didn't feel much like a proper sequel) - and loved CV, 4 and Revelation 1.... RE5 I thought it was also enjoyable, but not as great as 4... but this one felt like a chore - and I feel like I've finished a homework that was overdue! Although I have opened up new modes and all - but I don't think I'll be going back to play the game.

Next up, RE6 on Steam. I did start the first chapter of Leon long time ago when I bought the game on its launch - but never got around to proceed further. I know it'd be much like an action game (which I'm not too good at) - but hopefully I will enjoy the game. Expecting a bit more action oriented version of RE5 with multi chapter story telling... What I'm really looking forward to is actually Revelations 2. Heard a lot of good things about that game - so very much looking forward to it!

I'm replaying ori before the sequel next month. Have already installed Bloodstained to complete my metroidvania fix too.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I started Valkyria Chronicles 4. I gotta say, getting back into JRPGs or SRPGS when being away from them for a while is always a shock to the system. There is so much unnecessary annoying horrible dialogue. It's just insufferable. Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk the lamest cutesy cheesy lines of text. Once I start up a JRPG even if it's a SRPG, I always immediately remember why I go usually another year before starting another. They're such a chore to get through in non-gameplay segments.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Wrapped up Dishonored Definitive Edition this past Sunday. Will take a month or so break before starting Dishonored 2 but in the mean time, I played and completed Sam's Story expansion for Metro Exodus and now, just waiting for Darksiders Genesis on Friday which I should be able to complete in the four day weekend that I have off. Then next week will be Division 2 time in which I will play through the 3 episodes and be ready for the Warlords of New York expansion.

I'm playing Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. I absolutely hated the first game, but this is something completely different. A lot of fun, well designed levels and challenges, and it borrows just enough from both Mario and Sonic but still feels fresh.

I'm very happy you can turn off the insanely annoying "voices", otherwise I could never play it. The music is generally great!

I'd definitely recommend it! The only thing I don't like is the font which looks very cheap and ugly, and actually detracts the overall look. Also the design of some characters (like Vendy and the pagies) looks extremely unappealing and cheap, but the main characters and most enemies look great.

So some small inconsistencies but nothing major, as in the first game which felt super cheap and amateurish.

Phase

Couldn't fix the crashing on Painkiller, unfortunately. So I started Turok and I"m about an hour in. It's perfect for the limited time I have right now. It gives me guns, I run and shoot.

TLZ

Banned
Batman Arkham Origins on Xbox One BC.

Finished the story and doing the side missions now.

I also replayed and finished Arkham Asylum before this. After I'm done with Origins I'm jumping into Arkham City.

Also watching Gotham. So in Batman mood.

Finally decided to get back into Sekiro on PC and making pretty good progress so far. Things are starting to click for me now where they didn't the first go around, currently on the owl.

Also decided to get back into Assassin's Creed Origins.

Rodolink

Decided for Pikmin 3 in the end, not really feeling the vibe to start Nier A. Damn i miss the GCN original controls moving the Pikmin horde with the C stick :/ i cant get used to either stylus or classic modes.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Multiplayer: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Incredible game, the attention to detail and sheer greatness of it is something you have to experience. Nonstop fun with friends, coworkers, family, online is tough because the community takes this game serious as a 9.0 earthquake. You wont win much without really knowing how to fight. And that’s how a fight ought to be. SSBU is the pinnacle of the series, although I think Melee will always have the greatest charm along with the Original Super Smash Bros.

Single Player: Resident Evil: Zer0

Challenging and it starts off on a train which I was always super excited about playing for the first time as a kid. Now I have it on my Switch, and have gotten way further than I was able to-as a youngster. The ammo and other vital supplies are more crucial than all the other RE games ive played so far, so the survival element in this game is in full effect; you’ll need to tread through this game with your options heavily considered. Mistakes in this game are costly

SNPlayen

Just finished Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. Amazing game, check it out if you are into Metroidvanias. Gets real hard in some levels with tough puzzles. Beautiful graphics. I played on PS4 but would be good Switch game.

Top Bottom