• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

sedg87

Banned
Onimusha Dawn of Dreams
Was enjoying the game but every 20-30 seconds it keeps freezing for a moment and it's ruining the experience so I'm done with PS2 emulation.

Parasite Eve 2
Been playing this on and off for a while. I'm currently in the shelter area.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Ghostwire Tokyo. Absolutely loving the game, and it's far better than I was expecting. Between this and Hi-Fi Rush, Tango is near the top of Japanese studios for me. GT still has some issues with repetition, and has a ton of collect-a-thon elements, but the overall art design, quality of the controls, and the interesting open world traversal totally save the game for me. It will likely land on an 8 or 8.5, but it's one of the best games I've played this year. Gonna have to go back and play Evil Within 1 and 2, as I never did.

Playing around with Retroarch for 16bit video games, and yeah, it is amazing once you set it all up. You've got Achievements, custom Overlays and a myriad of cool CRT filters to play around with, amongst other countless features like save states and rewinds which make difficulty in these games a joke if required.

I'll stick with stand alone emulators with anything 5th gen and beyond, but Retroarch is the main one with everything 16bit and below. Way too good, beyond my expectations.

Paltheos

Metroid Prime Remastered. Still a good game (held up better than Super Metroid, anyway!). Jumping and rolling and boosting quickly around Tallon IV still feels satisfying. Collecting collectables is still fun. Bosses are still good, mostly (I replayed again on Hard yesterday and Omega Pirate can be frustrating even when you understand his AI). The facelift's done the game some good. A few criticisms:

1) Might be eyes starting to go bad, but some parts of the environment are darker than I remember and I have to stumble about to find exactly where to go to get out. Minor issue though. Edit: This was an issue of the TV I was playing on and the angle I was sitting at. I finished up my MP run in handheld mode and had no lighting issues in the same areas where things had gotten dark prior.
2) Lock-on is stingier than I remember. That is, the distance from which the reticle can be positioned away from a desired target before firmly locking on to that target when prompted feels stricter than I remember. This is only an issue when I'm charging a beam because that part of my hand is too occupied to move the right thumb stick but this is one area where the tank controls were better (the only one?).
3) Priority drops are barely a thing in this game! I don't remember how vanilla MP handled them, but I know in MP2 when you were out of ammunition or very low the game made a point of prioritizing those drops. This is really only an issue for Power Bombs as I needed to farm drops early on because there are so many Bendenzium gates near where you acquire them, and outside of certain boxes which seemed pre-programmed to give certain drops, farming for PB drops was pure luck of the draw, usually with bad odds.
4) Few shortcuts sometimes made traversal a pain. The landing site on Tallon Overworld and Phendrana's Edge are on opposite sides of the map, for instance, and it takes several minutes to trek over there and back . Some trips back and forth are bit much too just by repetition. It's been a long time since I played this game without sequence breaking (i.e. always get Space Jump first lol), but man that first Phendrana trip is rough. Ruins --> Magmoor --> Phendrana (Boost Ball) --> Magmoor --> Ruins --> Tallon (Space Jump) --> Ruins --> Magmoor --> Phendrana (Wave Beam) --> normal progression through Thardus ... and then after that Magmoor --> Ruins again for Ice Beam and then --> Magmoor --> Phendrana *again* for Gravity Suit --> Magmoor --> Tallon (for Crashed Frigate) *directly* finally now that you have Spider Ball. --- Playing MP again with a vanilla route with no sequence breaking, it's clear how much MP2 improved on backtracking pathing. Yeah, sure, it's a little boring at first how all the regions in the game are clearly designed to be completed in sequence and be accessed from a central hub area (even if that hub area at least has puzzles, expansions to find, etc.) but the games opens up two sets of shortcuts as you play through the game that are placed decently well so that nothing's too agonizingly far away - first, more regular elevators scattered about the levels and, in the endgame, the beam of light transporters in the regional energy rooms.

Last edited:
Right now playing

Star Ocean The Divine Force (Steam)

I'm about 15 hours in and the battle system is fantastic. It's alot of fun

Kena Bridge of Spirits (Steam)

5 hours in and I'm loving this game. The graphics are fantastic and I love exploring the world

Wild Hearts. This game is a blast! I'm having a much better time with it than I did with Monster Hunter: Rise. Looks great, fun to play, fantastic monster designs. A little bit of Koei-Tecmo jank and technical issues but it's not interfering with my fun at all.

header.jpg

Been wanting to play through this for ages, It's very addictive, and I love the art style. It feels satisfying getting further up. You're gonna fall a lot, but you soon get in to the rythm of it once you get used to certain jumps.

It can be very tense and nerve-racking, you can lose so much progress depending on the jump you're about to make.

amigastar

header.jpg

Been wanting to play through this for ages, It's very addictive, and I love the art style. It feels satisfying getting further up. You're gonna fall a lot, but you soon get in to the rythm of it once you get used to certain jumps.

It can be very tense and nerve-racking, you can lose so much progress depending on the jump you're about to make.
I remember Project I.G.I. There was no save in the missions, that was also really nerve-racking but awesome.

simpatico

Just wrapped up R4make. About halfway through my second lap while also playing RE6 for the first time in years. I think the game is much better now that the expectations are gone. Really, if you have a PC and haven't played it, it's totally worth the money. Big fun. Big silly. Resident Evil with a hint of Vanquish.

Megaman Zero 2
The Evil Within
Thinking to resume Evil West at some point

Forgot to mention Bloodborne too...I want to beat this game one day, and maybe get into Soulsborne in general if it clicks with me

Last edited:

amigastar

Have about 40 hours in Everspace 2. Great game
I'm playing that too, but it's so frustrating to get missions done. I'm at "Follow the wayward marker" and i don't get what i have to do. The marker jumps from place to place. It's really annoying.
Edit: nvm i found the solution

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm playing that too, but it's so frustrating to get missions done. I'm at "Follow the wayward marker" and i don't get what i have to do. The marker jumps from place to place. It's really annoying.
Edit: nvm i found the solution

Sorry bud......I'm not sure. I've done a lot of missions and I don't recall that. Might want to check a youtube guide.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just played some Astral Chain. I'm on Chapter/File 3 but googled to see if it opens up later. It's a fully linear action game with stats (like most character action games have healing, support, attack items or skills and such to unlock via gathered resource(s) as you progress, that doesn't make them RPGs), I dunno why people have been giving the impression it's an RPG and likening it more to Nier than Bayonetta. It's a good and fun game but so restrictive if you expect more of those elements from it so if you haven't played it and intend to don't expect that stuff. The mission areas are preset, it switches from investigation to action phases to even some Persona-like simplistic 'dungeon' areas or Platinum's usual mini game bits. Everything is in a predetermined order by the story and mission, even if there may be some little deadend side paths and objectives for maximum gains per file. I'm just disappointed, not because of how good the game is but after all the RPG talk surrounding it for apparently zero reason now that I've played it, I had even watched a bit of the DF analysis on it where they were talking about the performance in the action vs the open city areas and those turn out to be just linear levels with some platforming or switch triggering to progress during the investigation phase or even during the action phase. They too said it's more consistent and polished than Nier. Oh well. The combat is pretty rad with the dual character control (just got a 2nd demon).

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Tried out Kena: Bridge of Spirits. The environments are lush and lovely. It reminds of game we would have seen the GameCube era. I'm still early on as I just got the bow but it really hasn't grabbed me. The combat is really unsatisfying.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Been playing Callisto Protocol the past few days.

Not really feeling it. It’s not a bad game but feels very mediocre in general. The level design is quite bleak, lots of squeezing through narrow parts, no map, strange dodge mechanics and the plot takes a long time to get somewhere. I think I’m in chapter 6 now and by this point don’t think it’ll get much better… Shame… They should have put more thought i the actual game instead of just making everything as bloody as possible.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I have been playing Albion Online a lot, started during my International Management class, since the lecturer just reads the slides and I am perfectly capable of doing that myself, and now I find myself playing it a lot while waiting for Jedi Survivor

Duchess

Just bought Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam. Currently installing.
Is the game really that good?
Of course, your own mileage and opinions will vary, but many of us really enjoyed it. Hunting down the machines and doing all the quests is great fun. Was a very original concept back in the day, and I felt that Ashly Burch delivered a great performance as her voice actor.

sedg87

Banned
Legend of Dragoon
Just off to find a rare herb to cure Shana. Since I've unlocked the dragoon powers, the combat has been a lot more fun. Really enjoying this so far. The last few JRPGS I've played haven't done it for me and I thought I might be growing tired of the genre, but this has come along at a good time.

Legend of Dragoon
Just off to find a rare herb to cure Shana. Since I've unlocked the dragoon powers, the combat has been a lot more fun. Really enjoying this so far. The last few JRPGS I've played haven't done it for me and I thought I might be growing tired of the genre, but this has come along at a good time.

Great game I played this recently too

Playing Minecraft for the first time (for real now, tried to play it back in 2017). It's blowing my mind. Game feels like Zelda but with SO MUCH more complexity and freedom.

I think this is gonna be my favorite game of all time. I'm not a big fan of games that hold your hand, or put the genetic RPG elements like levels, xp etc. Minecraft is freaking insane, holy shit.

AmuroChan

On the last chapter of Trails to Azure. What a great game. And with Trails into Reverie coming out in July, Trails fans are eating good this year.

Alexvot86

Neo Member
Valheim with the wife. Can't believe this game hasn't had more hype for the Xbox release.

Had no idea what I was getting into when it released on gamepass but after putting in a good few hours it's now firmly in my top 10 games of all time, maybe even top 5 and I have been gaming non stop since '95.

Nico_D

Was scrolling down gamepass and landed on Medieval Dynasty. Cool game and great difficulty options to play as relaxed game as you wish.

Hohenheim

Just installing Persona 5 Royal on Game Pass.
Not sure what to expect, is it really that good for an JRpg?
I finished this on the switch yesterday. Started up back in november, and spent around 100 hours on it. Its style is very different from other more traditional jrpgs. It's quite zen-like in a way. You do stuff, spend time with people (you'll probably try to get some romance going), spend time in school, work part time jobs etc. Then there's dungeons with pretty cool turned based combat. Very good music that's inpossible to get out of your head.
Story is not amazing, but ok. It drags on a bit too long in my opinion.
I'd give it a 8/10

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Been sucking up spirits non-stop for days in Ghostwire Tokyo. I just got an achievement for getting 25% of them lol. What!? I don't know if I'll make it to the end of this lol. It's fun, but the repetition does set in.

hNGGhCzgqOPVLOpQeG1wED6b.jpg

Been checking out Blasphemous and it rules so far. It's been a while since I sinked my teeth in to a Metroidvania, this one is pretty damn addictive.

I'm very much digging the Dark Souls kinda atmosphere to the world, as well. That immediately stuck out to me.

I finished Kena which was a fantastic experience. My only issue with it was the final boss and that stupid platforming section.

Right now I'm 18 hours in Star Ocean 6. Fun game. I love the Star Ocean franchise but was disappointed by 5. This one is great and I'm planning on trying to 💯 it later on.

I'm gonna be playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed once that comes out

Last edited:

BlakeofT

Mega Man Legends 2. So sad that 3 got cancelled.
Mega Man Battle Network 1. Playing the Legacy Collection in order. While I don't hate this entry, I am way more excited to play any of the others. Will beat and maybe 100% later on down the line.
These'll keep me busy until Tears of the Kingdom.

Rippa

Just got Platinum for Resident Evil 4 remake.

Now I’m getting my melee based MetroidVania fix with Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom thanks to PS+ Extra.

Top Bottom