• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game genres do you not like/aren't interested in?

Self

Everything which is:

- throwing walls of text at me until my eyes hurt
- boring me out with clumbersome/complex menus aka micromanagement
- needs eons to boot
- confusing loot with trash items

oh, and generic trash anime of course.

zoeyfan69

Banned
I feel like I'm one of the few people that doesn't specifically avoid any genre, at least not anymore. If it looks like something I might like, I'll try it. There's maybe.. a few very specific subsets of games I won't play, but that's usually just because they're bad games in their own genre that people still buy for some reason. Like, mainstream 2K/EA sports games are bad, but I'm not going to dismiss any and all sports games. Assassins creed is boring, and cyberpunk 2077 is bad, but I don't hate open world games. I dislike a lot of turn based rpgs (never was a fan of older final fantasy games) but I still give them a fair shot, I really like Persona.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sports (of the sim kind)
Moba
MMO
FPS
TPS
Sim Racer
Simulation games
Souls Like
Loot based games (e.g. Diablo)
Walking Simulators
Stealth
Rogue Like / Lite
Social stuff (e.g. Sea of Thieves, so games that are mostly based on human interaction)
Battle Royale
Survival

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
MOBA
Most sports games aside from Football games
Roguelites
Battle Royales
Fighting Games
Beat em Ups
Turn-Based RPGS other than a minor list of games so great I can ignore the combat.
Survival Games
Strategy Games

Orta

Banned
Ultra realistic racing sims
All forms of rpg's
RTS
Bullet hell shooters
Any genre that adopts online/co-op play only

Would rather shovel shit instead of play any of the above.

TLZ

Banned
Any of these online only genres:
Moba
Mmo
Battle royale
Etc

Visual novels

Games like Gone Home or Gone Away or whatever it's called. The one where she discovers she's a lesbian or something. We spend the whole time walking and reading. I don't know how it's a game even. I don't know what they call this genre.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Sports (of the sim kind)
Moba
MMO
FPS
TPS
Sim Racer
Simulation games
Souls Like
Loot based games (e.g. Diablo)
Walking Simulators
Stealth
Rogue Like / Lite
Social stuff (e.g. Sea of Thieves, so games that are mostly based on human interaction)
Battle Royale
Survival
what do you like?

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like Visual Novels or MOBA style games. I'm open to pretty much everything else.

I generally don't play/enjoy RTS games, but I have liked games such as Command & Conquer. So it depends.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
what do you like?
platformers
action adventures
arcade racing
srpgs
turn based rpgs
puzzle games
shoot em ups
character action games
Pikmin (yeah it is a series, but it is the only rts series I really like, because most have simulation aspects with the building phases)
ball rolling games
Metroidvania
visual novels

Last edited:
Everything that takes place online (including online multi-player of course)

All sports games

All racing games except for Mario Kart

RTS

Strategy RPG

FPS shooters, unless it's an RPG

Graphic novels

Most puzzle games

All smartphone games

Bullet hell shooters

Rouge-likes

I love video games so I'm willing to give most things a chance. In general, my least preferred genres would be:

First Person Shooters - I like the concept, and I even own a few (BioShock trilogy, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Resident Evil 7 of course), but something about the "floating arms" perspective throws me off. I like to see the avatar of my character on my screen, and have a much wider Field of View for combat. (so maybe it's less about the "floating arms" and more about what I feel is a very narrow FOV for some of the FPS games I've seen). So, funny that I don't really prefer or even like First Person Shooters, since I love Third Person Shooters.

Turn-based Japanese Role-Playing Games - I generally like my games to have some sort of "immediate" action that I can go to at my pace, usually something tightly timed and reaction based -- platformers, fighting games, shmups, shooters, etc. Turn based JRPGs seem to me like a bunch of never-ending menus, and the flow is dictated by the game's pace, not by me. I am willing to give this genre a chance though, and I own 3 of the key Super Nintendo JRPG carts (Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, and Chrono Trigger... god, I hope I like them, if I don't I'm gonna have to sell them off, LOL).

For me it's easiest to play a genre I don't like if a game in a series I love somehow switches over to that style. Resident Evil and Yakuza are my two favorite game series, and they've switched from genres I love (TPS and beat em up respectively) to genres I generally don't like (FPS and JRPG respectively). But my love for the series trumps my dislike for their new genres, so I still play and enjoy them.

theclaw135

Banned
RTS
MMORPG
Flight sim
Survival horror
FMV games
Traditional visual novels (games like Phoenix Wright break up the monotony via other elements)

More broadly I have little interest in themes such as the Wild West.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sports games
Heavy cinematic story driven games
Simulators
Games with meaningless end game content
Short story games or whatever they are called.
Rts games
Horror games unless it's Alan wake.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Action-adventure (This genre flat out sucks even the "good" ones I just don't want to play it ever again)
Action RPG (the action almost always is jank as hell give me turned based)
Interactive drama (make a movie asshole keep this horse shit out of gaming)
Psychological/Survival Horror (F.E.A.R. is the only good one)

kamkamkam

ymTqhUE.jpg

Jeeves

Sport sim
Driving sim
MOBA
Western RPG
Tower defense
Battle royale

If we're calling Souls a genre, that too.

oh, and generic trash anime of course.
"Anime" is not a video game genre, it's an aesthetic.

But I agree, I generally despise the "anime" aesthetic. Back in my younger days I made an exception for Guilty Gear XX, since I loved the gameplay. But that's the only one. Even former series that I loved -- SoulCalibur, Tekken, etc -- I've completely dropped in large part because I feel they have gone in a more overt anime-like direction (among other reasons, of course, but that's a major one).

Silvawuff

Multiplayer whatever. I was big on MMOs for a while, but I had this moment where I realized I really don't like playing with other people unless I know them IRL. It's almost always a pain in the ass or a bad time. It can be fun, but you have to find this rare, magical place where you're in the mood for it, it's balanced and fair, and you actually enjoy the people you're playing with or against. Yeah, never.

Sports of course, but I don't really consider them a part of the video game zeitgeist. I think they have their own player base outside of the gaming sphere, finding coexistence.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Souls, the way GAF convinces people to play them is a big turn off. I recognize good games (Twilight Princess, Bioshock, Odyssey etc.) but the claims, difficulties seem more important than having fun or an experience.

Mossybrew

- Sports
- Fighting games
- Sim racers
- MOBA
- 4x/Strategy
- Retro sidescrollers
- Battle Royale
- Soulslikes
- Stealth-focused
- Puzzle-heavy
- Mobile

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Multiplayer shooters like PUBG, COD, Battlefield. Hitman (stealth stuff). RTM games, I wish I knew how to play them cause they look fun. As strange as it may sound, I don't care about 99% of modern titles. I always find myself more interested in prior generations.

Tschumi

Arcade fighting games like mortal kombat

Schmups (praying dundunpachi of that sweet OT i saw the other day doesn't see this)

Battle royale

Metroidvania

Point and click

Heavy rain/beyond two souls/detroit become human style interactive QuickTime event games

Online shooters (battlefield, front, cod, etc etc etc)

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

MOBA for sure
Fighters too maybe I'll play MK for a bit but thats about it.
Horror games, meh
Battle Royale

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- MOBA
- RTS
- Any game that resembles a novel or has tons of cut scenes. Unskippable cutscenes like in Hell Blade make it worse
- Stealth heavy games
- Any music game
- Any game with too much anime art. I can live with Street Fighter or some retro games with that old school Japanese look, but not crazy cartoony art with 12 year olds like Ni No Kuni

I'd rather play a match of Boggle or Text Twist than any of the above.

Last edited:
Anything related with stealth. Then there are the puzzles. I'm a fucking idiot. I just don't understand physics and mathematics. I can't understand any of that.

Stealth is a ruin for me. I don't know how to do it and it's a mechanic that i hate with passion.

I just can't do that shit. It's impossible.

fighting games aee only fun to me with family members, not much alone

i hate following genres
-RPG
-FPS ( rs6 siege gets away with it)
-fighting games

mostly play action or sport games, i dont even mind puzzle games.

GeekyDad

Probably just sports and visual novels. Glad they exist, and I don't actively dislike them -- I even enjoy looking at the art of a lot of these visual-novel games -- but for myself, I have no real interest in playing games of either of those genres.

mxbison

I would've said Roguelikes but Hades changed everything. I'll probably get back to hating them when I play the next one though.

Can't really think of a genre I absolutely don't like. Maybe realistic simulators.

Top Bottom