• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genres You Have No Interest In

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
I'm a sports fan and have zero interest in sports games.
Something about it just doesn't click with me, I'd rather just watch a regular season game. Besides that, I think it's difficult to get good creative developers for sports games which leaves most of them seem pretty bland.

What genres do you look at and shrug?

winjer

Gold Member
Rogue lites/likes.
Every time I see just the mention of it, I immediately give up on that game.
They always feel like there is little to no progression. And that the devs are just padding gameplay time by forcing the player to play the same procedural generated levels, over and over and over again. And again.

Admittedly, I have played a a couple that were really good. Dungeon of the Endless and Hades.
But I always feel like these games could be much better if they had a proper campaign.

kubricks

Those farming/resources gathering simulator.
Pacing is too slow for my liking I'd rather play other games. Or in fact, I will just do anything else actually.

Witcher 3 , super disappointed, after all the hype through out the years i finally tried it on PS5 a couple months ago and was so disappointed...
You didn't read the topic did you....

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
In terms of specific games:

League of Legends
Fortnite
Hearthstone

All F2P so I I gave them a try but got bored within a few minutes.
Especially LoL, I really cannot understand why people like it so much.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Anything open world. I'm so fucking burned out on open world anything. Just give me a tightly packed experience please.

Fuz

Banned
Visual novels
Sports
Racing

I've played my fair share, but I'm not drawn to them.
Sports/racing also lost their fun when they got too serious.

I'm pretty chill when it comes to genres and games, play anything from low budget JRPG's like Neptunia all the way up to AAA and sports games like FIFA. I guess the genre I play least is fighting games, have no interest in the genre usually outside of edge cases like Kill la Kill IF.

YukiOnna

Sports
Puzzle Games
Sim type
Fighting Games
Kind of WRPG - I can play the blockbuster ones, but they never have a lasting impression on me. And the game design for most doesn't work for me, but I still try them.

xrnzaaas

Sports games except for motorsports and a few oldschool titles like Sensible Soccer.
Online games.
Soulslike games.
Generally games without a clear goal, like flight/space sims or life sims. Racing games are an exception to that rule. If it's a strategy game it must have a campaign mode with some objectives.

Aion002

Platform games like Mario, Sonic and Crash.

I never liked them, even when I was a kid... I don't hate those types of games, they're jusr not for me.

Also, recently I tried Hades and Returnal, I hated both. Roguelike games are just not for me. Having close to zero progression after each death and every stage being randomly generated are deal breakers for my tastes.

Mister Wolf

Sports game and PVP modes in shooters. Losing my love for fighting games too apparently. Didn't even bother buying SF6.

GymWolf

Puzzle games
Driving games
Sim city type of games
Shogun total war type of games
Battle royals
Platforms
Sport games except MMA
Mmorpg
Craft and survive games like valheim
Multyplayer arena fps
Stuff like minecraft or roblox
I still buy some very rare beat em up or character action game like bayo or dmc but i barely play those genres anymore

Last edited:

foamdino

Souls games - I can happily play hardcore games (die once and character is gone gone) but souls games are just frustrating, I respect that they are a firm favourite for many people - but they are a hard pass for me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Rogue lites/likes.
Every time I see just the mention of it, I immediately give up on that game.
They always feel like there is little to no progression. And that the devs are just padding gameplay time by forcing the player to play the same procedural generated levels, over and over and over again. And again.

Admittedly, I have played a a couple that were really good. Dungeon of the Endless and Hades.
But I always feel like these games could be much better if they had a proper campaign.
If you don’t even like Hades..
Then you don’t like roguelikes

nkarafo

I can play a game in every genre if it "clicks".

The only thing that never does is cinematic games with a heavy focus on cut-scenes, dialog, story, etc. I absolutely detest those.

So, if we count "cinematic" as a genre, that would be my answer.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
JRPGs.

Weird gameplay (in general)

Weird un-relatable characters (in general)

Slow boring combat (in general)

200 hour long campaigns (in general)

The worst writing in any form of medium (in general)

Emo haircuts, bad fashion sense, school girl outfits.

The entire concept boggles my mind.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Sports
Rogue lites and rogue likes
JRPG's
Visual novels outside of some exceptional titles like 999 and weird shit like Doki Doki.
Realistic first person shooters
Grand strategies
Deck builders or any sort of card focused game
Simulators
City builders
Basically anything Ubisoft these days
Overly cinematic titles with very basic gameplay that rely on lots of forced character exposition and overly written material meant to hide the fact that the game is boring to play.
Third person shooters
Rhythm games, though I used to love them.

There are probably more, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind. I just don't have the patience for a lot of genres anymore.

There may be genres I don't play as often as others. But I'll never rule out any genre. Video game interactivity in any of it's forms will never cease to amaze me

winjer

Gold Member
They you do like the genre.
Try loop hero

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Sleepwalker

Fighting games
Roguelite games
Flight simulators/ plane combat games
RTS games
Visual novels
Card games
Sims/city builders/tycoon/ etc etc
Naval combat games or world of tanks.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I watch football/soccer but have 0 interest in football or sports games or car games or anything roughlike or Diablo and Diablo clones. Have no interest in Sims or similar games. Have no interest in city-building/management games. Pixel art games for the sake of pixel art. MMOs.

Top Bottom