• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genres You Have No Interest In

Chastten

Banned
I'll play almost any genre, but a game loses me if it's realistic/serious. If I want realistic, i'll take the dog for a walk.

Hudo

Sports games, MOBAs (I fucking hate them for killing of RTS games), Pseudo-MMOs, Looter-Shooters, Extraction Shooters, Battle Royal shit, PVP-based shooters where you level up or rank up or some pointless meta-game bullshit. Just give me Quake 3, man.

KiteGr

Lets see...

Sports games. Especially the realistic ones.
Racing games. ESPECIALLY the realistic ones.
Free to play. My trust in those is Zer0. If I don't see a paywall, I'll see a paywall designed as a frustration wall.

Honorable mentions:
Recent Fighting games. You know they are glorified starter packs. Right?! You'll ether wait 5 years to get the "complete edition" and find a community that beats you to a pulp, or get there day one and pay 3-5 times it's starting price to stay competitive. I Love them, but they don't love me back.
Gass games. For the same reasons as the Free to play games. Only Deep Rock Galactic in the recent years did it well.
MMOs other than the one I currently play. People don't change easily MMOs. Stop bothering me.

MOBAs - Somewhere around 8-9 years ago I tried League and didn't get the appeal at all.
Sports - Used to play Madden and NHL all the time in the mid 00s but just grew bored of them and haven't bought one in 12+ years.
MMOs - Another that I used to play in the mid 00s. Most require you to spend hundreds or even thousands of hours to reach "end game". Fuck that.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Sports for me, I’d rather really just play it myself. Of course this doesn’t include the extreme sports. Those are pretty fun

Over the shoulder “cinematic experience “ games comprised of pressing up on the stick most of the time and basically glorified qtes passing as combat. Throw in hyper-linear storytelling and you might as well put me to sleep.

Garibaldi

• Anything that has cutesy anime women that look about 5 years old. Even if they are 2000 year old dragons or some shite.
  • Competitive multiplayer shooters, slowly but surely I'm going off shooters in general. Last good one was DooM 2016
  • Loot grinders. I'm as attracted to big numbers on my sword as I am cutesy anime 5 year olds
  • Football game such as PES and Fifa. Love the actual sport. Games are shit.
  • Open world games that are extremely sandboxy. I prefer having targets. Too much choice is actually a bad thing.

Last edited:
Anything that isn't Platformers or JRPGS (Have a preference for SNES-PS2 era games too)
There's some exceptions but those 2 genres are my confort zone.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Anime
Visual Novels
JRPGs
Roguelikes
Extremely difficult souls-likes
Extremely difficult and twitchy platformers
Games with extremely spaced out checkpoints
Games that can’t be paused

I mostly stick to a pretty small rotation of multiplayer games. I at least have ambitions of playing all sorts of stuff... but I just can't get into a fighting game. Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat back in the day in the arcade was kind of cool but that was it. Zero interest.

EruditeHobo

Multiplayer-only FPS games, aka anything Battle Royale-related. No fucking thank you... my online competitive twitch-shooter days are long, long gone.

Three

Fighting games. Wierd thing is that I own a lot of them but never really play or get into them much. I think it's a nostalgia thing from a time when I did decades ago.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MMO
RTS
SP narratives
Real time RPGs
Fighting
All mobile. I dont think I have ever played a mobile game aside from my brick Nokia snakes game

Poordevil

Any game that features zombie killing as a main course.
Any game that stars a super hero like Spiderman, Batman , Superman. Just not interested.
I don't play First Person Shooters any more. Years ago they were my favorite genre. Started gaming on an N64 playing Turok, Goldeneye.
I have played racing games in the past, Porsche Unleashed, NASCAR that I liked, but racing as a genre has gone the way of FPS.
I have tried fighting games a little, but the genre never captivated me.

Pejo

Survival building games like Minecraft et al.
Rogue-likes or Rogue-lites.
Farming games.
*some task that is boring in real life* Simulator.
Bullet hell shmups.
DDR style hyperactive rhythm games.
Competitive FPS (I will lump siege type FPS and group team battle games in with this)
MOBAs
Battle royales
Card based battle games like Marvel Snap et al.

kiphalfton

Fighting games.

I have no interest in pausing every 3 seconds to check the combo list. It's great the number of different moves that are offered in some games, as it adds depth and variety, but it's just too much for my feeble mind.

Last edited:
I don't like racing games or fighting games and I never really did.
I used to love RTS/4x4, but I find them dull now.

It's rogue-like that I go from disliking to finding actively offensive in most cases. I need the human touch.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Most sports sim games I have no interest in, except F1, There are hunting simulators those are also not my thing.

TLZ

Banned
Visual novels.
Mobas etc.
Oh and the dynasty warriors like games with all the mindless bashing.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

RTS, just because I sucks in it

Rogue-lite too, I know these games like Hades, Returnal and Dead Cells are damn good, but I just couldn't stand playing them with the constant feeling to see start over

xBlueStonex

• Souls games. They bore the ever living fuck out of me. Elden Ring was a snooze fest.
  • Sports games. Pay $60 every year for the same shit.
  • MOBAs. One match is like 45 minutes. Humungous waste of time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sports games
Mmo
Visual novels
Esports
Hero shooters
Lootbox games like destiny or diablo4
4 player coop games
Battle royale
Only online games

Von

Too many to list. When my free time is at an all time low these days, my interests have been limited.

Shooters
Sci-fi or Steampunk
All Sports games
Racing games
Fighting games
99% of MP games ("souls" being the exception)
Games with planes/spaceships and/or flying combat
Superheroes games
Games where you have to use a controller or mouse/keyboard to move things around on a television or monitor screen.

Souls and FPS, specifically looter shooter Ala fortnite and apex.

In the 2001, I love korean F2P MMOs (RIP ijji.com), not so much now

Top Bottom