• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you consider to be 'Perfect 10's?

There have been thousands of great games released over the years since the birth of the video game industry. But there's probably very few games that you can consider to be 'Perfect 10s'.

Out of all the games that have ever been released, it doesn't matter what era, which ones do you think stand above all others? I don't mean 'perfect' games...we all know that no game is 100% perfect. And I don't mean 'most influential'...they don't have to necessarily be classics.

But, if you were a reviewer for a major publication or website, which games would you score a perfect 10 out of 10?

Give reasons, if you could.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Gears
Gran Turismo 4
God of War (although I have yet to complete it)
RE4
SFII:HF
Pro Gear No Arashi
Metroid Prime

They all make me say 'DAMN!' every single time I play them.

Not that these games are perfect (not possible), but they're substantially better than anything else in their class.

Chemo

Super Metroid is the only one and is the benchmark by which I judge everything else.

On a scale of one to Super Metroid, I give A Link to the Past a 10 -- which means it's as good as it could possibly be, while still failing to live up to Super Metroid.

Haunted

in before Mithos '10 is not perfect'.

I wouldn't rate a game 100 out of 100 - always leave room open for improvement.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mario Bros 3
Ocarina of Time
Resident Evil 4

That I can think off the top of my head.

Frenck

Banned
Monkey Island 1-3

Because they were perfect, I can't remember that there was anything wrong with any aspect of these games.

klee123

Nothing, as one said before, any game is always open for improvement.

However, in my opinion, Soul Calibur on DC at its time was very close.

painey

Wollan said:
Final Fantasy 7.

World of WarCraft.

Half-life.

Silent Hill.

Gran Turismo.

hit_the_nail_on_the_head.gif

j^aws

Stargate (Arcade)

The greatest shmup ever created by Eugene Jarvis and co... Of course, most people don't have the skill to appreciate it... ;)

By my own standards...nothign really.
But the following 3 would be very high 9s

The Legend Zelda: Ocarina of Time (TP is better, but nostalgia is killing my mind)
Halflife 2
Metroid Prime

All those games had a vast world to explore with just so many details to find and so high level interactions. Mario64 could bossibly also namend, but then, OoT does everything better than Mario64, except having the ability to jump. OoT with free-jumping would be the one and only 10 imo.

aku:jiki

Haunted_One said:
in before Mithos '10 is not perfect'.

I wouldn't rate a game 100 out of 100 - always leave room open for improvement.
Whoever Mithos is is right, though. 10/100 does not mean "can never be matched or surpassed", it means it's the current peak of a genre. Hence, never rating anything a full score is kinda...pointless. What purpose is that part of the scale serving in that case?

Paradroid - C64
Mercenary - C64
Super Mario Bros 3 - NES
Soul Calibur - DC
Half-Life - PC
System Shock 2 - PC
Baldur's Gate 2 - PC
Halo : CE - Xbox
Metroid Prime : GC

fmcato

Secret of Monkey Island, Another World, Flashback, Stunts, Final Fantasy 6, Gran Turismo, Doom, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Mario 64
Link To The Past
Ocarina Of Time
Twilight Princess
Halo
Goldeneye
Resident Evil 2
REmake
Resident Evil 4
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Star Ocean: The Second Story (Yeah)

Haunted

aku:jiki said:
Whoever Mithos is is right, though. 10/100 does not mean "can never be matched or surpassed", it means it's the current peak of a genre. Hence, never rating anything a full score is kinda...pointless. What purpose is that part of the scale serving in that case?
He's a poster here - 10 is not perfect is his tag.

Well, I like to think that the 100/100 part of the scale is the eternal goal of every developer. It's quite poetic, when you think about it: everyone is striving for perfection, but it is unattainable.

I've never played a perfect game. But I'll offer up some thoughts on a few of my favourite games...

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
I'll stress that I think this deserves a perfect 10 in the context that its an early 90s videogame for the SNES. It was an incredible achievement at the time. In some respects many will feel its been bettered by other games - like Ocarina of Time for example - but I would argue thats not entirely the case. Some of its better elements have never been fully realised in the games that followed. It had a vast and complex overworld: desert, water, forest, mountain, fire and ice. It was riddled with houses, caves and dungeons. Nearly every screen was utilised in gameplay, and your inventory was useful or fun to play with outside of dungeons, exploring the world. It had an excellent sense of pacing that really paid off when you got to Hyrule Castle for the second time and realised there was a whole lot more to go. It introduced that dual-world dychotomy that was repeated in both Ocarina and Twilight Princess. Its also a pretty colourful game. There's lots of variation in the pallette. Wind Waker came close to recreating the feel of LTTP in many ways, but it was all very sunny, very blue... you didn't get the dark world style of things so much, and thus there was never any sense of real urgency to save that world imo. I yearn for a return to vibrant, fantasy worlds such as this one.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
I won't say much about this, but I will say its my favourite 3d Zelda. There is a lot of nostalgic value in the game, and I basically feel its a refinement of everything they've done in 3D so far. I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't experience it in its entirety.

Half Life 1/2
Both of these games are excellent, I've just got a new video card and finally played through HL2. In an age where cutscenes are a common reality in videogames, Valve go the route of making you LIVE the story in first person. They really nailed the sense of urgency and purpose in the single player portions of these games. There are sections in Half Life 2 in particular that really reimagine filmic narrative concepts like the classic pursuit/chase scene, in visually arresting, fun and engaging ways. The way the Havoc physics system and the gravity gun were at the core of the game, really gave a tangible sense you could manipulate the dystopian world around you. This goes without mentioning the mods and multiplayer things you can do with both games - Team Fortress and Counter Strike being the first that come to mind, but also things like Portal, which looks rather nice. Other FPS games just don't hold a candle to this series. When people talk Halo 3 or Killzone 2, I'm just wondering how long I'll have to wait until HL3! One final note: I like that Gordon never speaks, if Zelda is to ever have voice acting, I hope Nintendo take the same route.

I'm gonna throw something less obvious out there.

How about,

612929.jpg

Donkey Kong

The Super Game Boy version that came out in 1994.

612930.jpg

It starts out as the original Donkey Kong. But after you complete the first 4 stages, the true game begins. Over 100 stages, each one different than the other, each riddled with challenges and puzzles. The control in this game is absolutely perfect. Instead of just the standard jump, Mario can do handstands, backflips, swing from wires, and other new tricks. The game is so simple...but oh so great. It's one of those games that you can just play endlessly and never get tired of it.

I think it's one of the most enjoyable, challenging, and unique games to ever come out for any platform. It's certainly my favorite portable game of all time.

I'd give it a perfect 10.

santouras

Tetris Attack - infinite replayability, soul destroyingly addictive. Never played another game that has had me so addicted

Zelda:OoT - so many wow moments. Absolute perfection

aloof

Banned
Resistance: Fall of Man
God of War
God of War 2
Rogue Galaxy
Uncharted
Killzone PS3
Heavenly Sword
Motorstorm
NBA Street Homecourt
Hot Shots Golf Fore!
Wipeout PS3
NFL Gameday

XSamu

Banned
aloof said:
God of War
God of War 2
Rogue Galaxy
Uncharted
Killzone PS3
Heavenly Sword
Motorstorm
NBA Street Homecourt
Hot Shots Golf Fore!
Wipeout PS3
NFL Gameday
Dear Sonybot, most of those games are not even released.

saelz8

aloof said:
God of War
God of War 2
Rogue Galaxy
Uncharted
Killzone PS3
Heavenly Sword
Motorstorm
NBA Street Homecourt
Hot Shots Golf Fore!
Wipeout PS3
NFL Gameday
:lol

Fredrik

Perfect 10's *

IO - C64
Summer/Winter Games 1/2 - C64
Last Ninja - C64
Last Ninja 2 - C64

Super Mario Bros - NES

Dungeon Master - Amiga 500
Battle Squadron - Amiga 500
Turrican 2 - Amiga 500
Space Quest 3 - Amiga 500
Monkey Island - Amiga 500
Operation Stealth - Amiga 500

Super Metroid - SNES
Zelda ALTTP - SNES
Secret of Mana - SNES

Final Fantasy 7 - Playstation
Metal Gear Solid - Playstation
Castlevania SOTN - Playstation
Vagrant Story - Playstation
Resident Evil - Playstation
Gran Turismo - Playstation

Soul Calibur - Dreamcast

MGS2 - PS2

Metroid Prime - GC

Ninja Gaiden - Xbox

Oblivion - Xbox 360
Gears of War - Xbox 360

Wii Sports - Wii

* at the time of the release. Most scores would be much lower if I scored the games today.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
At the very least this thread will offer a good list of posters whose gaming opinions to ignore...

Bunch of crap games in this thread already...

mario & luigi - GBA
zelda windwaker - NGC
zelda twilight princess - NGC / Wii
castlevania SotN - PSX / Saturn
tempest2000 - Jaguar
super mariobros 3 - NES
soul calibur - Dreamcast
yoshi's island - SNES
duke nukem 3D - PC

1. Chrono Trigger
Why it's perfect to me: After Final Fantasy VI introduced me to RPG's, it was Chrono Trigger that sealed my love for them. It has some of the best characters in any game, great art, one of my favorite soundtracks, a killer story, great villains, and a plethora of endings to see. No pun intended: it's timeless. It came out like 30 years ago and I still play it to this day.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Why it's perfect to me: Before Chrono Trigger came out, this was the game. I'd never played an adventure quite like it. The game design is simply flawless, the dungeons were all fantastic, all the bosses were great, the Zelda atmosphere was strong with this one, it was decently challenging (well, when I played it at a younger age), and the world was full of surprises and things to find. It still remains as one of the greatest remnants of gaming the SNES left behind.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Why it's perfect to me: Like everyone else, I was on the edge of my seat for this one to come out. I scoured every page of every Nintendo Power for the next glimpse at the game. I suffered through each month, day, nanosecond between it and ALttP. So when it finally came (I was a sophomore in high school) I couldn't quite believe it. And the feeling remained throughout the entirety of the game. Zelda had successfully made the 3D leap and it was something to gawk at. The greatness of the dungeons, the look, the feel, the everything of Zelda was intact and there to stay. The N64's swan song.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Why it's perfect to me: God, another Zelda game, right? Well, yeah. Right. I wouldn't put it here if I didn't think it belonged. Many argue this game to be "OoT redux" and while I find this somewhat true of the first three dungeons or so, the game really does become something of its own. When I play a game, I play it; I don't sit around and look for bad textures or other technical slumps. I acknowledge them, sure, but it was built ground-up for the Gamecube, so while I had the Wii version, I treated it as a Gamecube game, at least graphically, and I was highly impressed. I didn't think the Gamecube was capable, at least not capable to handle such a high level of visual mastery throughout the entire quest, but it did. Combine that with great play mechanics, some of the best dungeons in the franchise (and bosses for that matter), and the most in-depth and neatly handled story, and you have a game I definitely consider one of the greatest ever made.

5. Resident Evil 2
Why it's perfect to me: Finally, no more Zelda taking up spaces. What an asshole. Anyway, yes, you're seeing this right: Resident Evil 2. I'd hand out 10's to this sucker any day of the week. It's just a wonderful game from top to bottom. Not only do you have great visuals for the time, cool, memorable characters, awesome locales, great atmosphere, and creepy music; but you also have... the alternate scenarios! Dum dum dum... anyway, the alternate scenarios turned this already great game into a perfect one. They were like... an entirely new game... but two of them. Bitch was like getting four games in one! I mean any developer could have put out Resident Evil 2 with just one scenario where, like in the first installment, it lets you pick a couple of characters but pretty much the same shit happens... but no. They give a disc each to Leon and Claire, each with two scenarios, and the additional scenarios go the extra mile to add everything from new cutscenes to new enemies and locations... it's crazy. Amazing stuff.

Other games I would list:

Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Super Mario 64
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime

XSamu

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
At the very least this thread will offer a good list of posters whose gaming opinions to ignore...

Then show us your list, so then I know if you have a good reason to speak like that and if your opinion matters.

Cdammen

Half-Life 2 and Episode One are the only games that engulfed me into the experience and made me forget I was playing a game.

(EDIT) Ergo: They're perfect 10's :)

Yoboman

aloof said:
God of War
God of War 2
Rogue Galaxy
Uncharted
Killzone PS3
Heavenly Sword
Motorstorm
NBA Street Homecourt
Hot Shots Golf Fore!
Wipeout PS3
NFL Gameday
Good choices

Jive Turkey said:

I wouldn't put San Andreas in my top favourite 10 games, but I appreciate that it has a complete all round experience beyond what most if not all games are capable of.

Kabouter

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
It offered a vast improvement in features over previous civilization games, it managed to even improve upon the addictive gameplay of it's predecessors, it had nigh perfect balance, the sci-fi backstory was compelling as far as gaming stories go etc. etc. the list goes on really, and there really aren't any things I could really fault the game on.

Top Bottom