• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you consider to be 'Perfect 10's?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Metal Gear Solid

Flashback: The Quest for Identity

FF7

Sonic 3+Knuckles

Chess ;)

maxmars said:
I bought Gradius off the VC a few days ago and I'm still giving it a ten. Now what?

My most-played VC purchase :)

I'd give it a ten, except for the slowdown in the 'tentacle' stage.

Though...the slowdown does make it much easier!

If I could think of one shooter to give a 10, or close to it, I'd probably choose the original Gradius.

Google

The Secret of: Monkey Island.

Still the best game I've ever played, and still the one game that allows me to enter a childlike state of glee!

The music, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the locations, even the title screen...It works perfectly!

Pezking

yoshis20island20coverjh3.jpg
chronotriggerboxartha6.jpg
7e9yt3.jpg

279kx9.jpg
601158fx1.jpg
13488yr3.jpg

everybodygolf4ua0.jpg
imgsmlbf452910116697su4.jpg

Resident Evil 4
Zelda: Twilght Princess
Final Fantasy X

I'll get flamed for saying these...

Wind Waker
Final Fantasy IX
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2

Google

Unison said:
Flashback was so freaking awesome.

15th Year anniversary edition is out now/soon.

We're doing an interview with Eric Chahi for Play.d soon...Will be nice to get some insight into one of the best games ever!

GhaleonEB

Halo
Halo 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force II
Virtua Fighter 2
Guardian Heroes
Gunstar Heroes
Thunderstrike III
MDK2
Flashback

(All reviewed at the time of release.)

Tetris
Sam n Max Hit the Road
WoW
Bejeweled
Grim Fandango
Super Mario 3
Guitar Hero
Parrapa the Rapper
Gunstar Heroes
Sims
Oddworld Stranger
Burnout 3
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
Viva Pinata

Xenon

Archon - C64

Airborne Ranger - C64

Phantasy Star - SMS

Streets of Rage 2 - Gen

Madden Football - Gen

Doom 2 - PC

SFII:CE - SNES

VF2 -saturn

Zelda OOT - N64

Halo - Xbox

Ninja Gaiden -Xbox

Odrion

Banned
Resident Evil 4, Ninja Gaiden, the two N64 Zeldas, Rachet and Clank 3, Banjo Kazooie, and the N64 version of Conker's Bad Fury Day.

Pitfall 2 ( Atari 2600 )
Enduro
Montezuma's Revenge
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3
Megaman
Rad Racer 2
Ninja Gaiden
Mc Kids
Castlevania Dracula's Curse
Alien Crush
Bonk's Revenge
Super Star Soldiers
F-Zero
Super Mario Karts
Zelda A link To the Past
Turbo Outrun (arcade)
Super Metroid
Donkey Kong Country 2
Yoshi's Island
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic 3 + Knuckles
Doom
Cruisin' USA (arcade)
FF6
Suikoden
Klonoa
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania Symphony of The Night
Mario64
Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Outrun2 SP (arcade)
Gran Turismo 4
GTA3
Maximo
Jak2
God Of War
Shadow of The Collosus
Metal Gear Solid 3

I don't know if those would be perfect 10s but they are games i totally liked. Nothing was wrong in there, perfect experience. Most of those are also still playable and better than most being released today. (Not many Genesis mentions there but i was seriously overwhelmed by the SNES games in that period)
I probably forgot some too.

chase

This list got longer than I thought.

Contra and Contra III - the definitive shooters
Final Fantasy III(VI) - the last FF before it jumped the shark
Grand Theft Auto III - the experience dominates the games' many and obvious flaws; silent main character was a masterstroke
Half-Life - still the perfect FPS
ICO - it's ICO
Metroid Prime - it's Metroid Prime
Shenmue - something about this game. I can't describe it.
Silent Hill - it's flaws make it better.
Skies of Arcadia - best RPG ever. Screw your 'complex' characters that go on and on about nothing in hours of cutscenes.
Street Fighter II - best fighter ever.
Super Mario Bros. - best game ever.

Didn't quite make it:

Deus Ex - needs a more open world
Dig Dug - needs better controls
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - if they had just completely omitted the main quest I might have put it up there
Eternal Darkness - doesn't hold up as well as I'd hoped; the way the story is presented is what gets this game close. I know this is very unpopular :p
Kangaroo - needs better controls. Bet no one has mentioned this yet.
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - questionable design decisions in the second half; still easily my favorite Zelda
No One Lives Forever - just another FPS? Kinda.
Ratchet and Clank - might be just me, but these are some of the purest games I played in the last gen
Resident Evil 4 - peaks at the start; gets a bit samey

Flakster99

For me, there has never been a "perfect" game, though, the sum of it's parts, games that I go back to and play to this day have certainly have given me that perspective. :)

Here are a few of my personal fav's;

Diablo
Baldur's Gate 2
Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness
Chrono Trigger
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past

VVV Mars VG

Thunder Force 4
Super Aleste
Gunstar Heroes
Streets of Rage 2
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Wipeout
Alpha Mission 2
Resident Evil 2

Super Mario Brothers
Sonic the Hedgehog (original)
Shining Force II
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Actraiser
Illusion of Gaia
Super Mario 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Half Life
Half Life 2
Warcraft II
Starcraft
Halo
Final Fantasy: Tactics
Suikoden 2
Katamari Damacy
Silent Hill 2
Metroid Prime
REmake
Resident Evil 4
Ouendon
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Metal Gear Solid 2

Taurus

Imo there is no perfect 10 game but these come pretty damn near in my list:

Super Mario 64
Final Fantasy Tactics
FFVII
RE4
Donkey Kong Country
Zelda: A link to the past
Civilization 4

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
These are all games that I would consider perfect 10s.

Geometry Wars - As sad as it sounds, if I had to have only one game for the 360, this would be it. I've played arcade shooters for decades, and I have my favorites like Dodonpachi, Mars Matrix, and R-Type Delta. This game is one of those types of games where after playing it for a while, and you start understanding enemy patterns, and how to avoid while shooting, it starts to become almost trance-inducing. The graphics are the kind where folks enjoy watching me play, as much as playing themselves. Learning that sometimes the best thing to do is NOT SHOOT, and swerve towards those blackhole things and allow them to take care of enemies for you, it becomes very, very addictive. There's only one other shooter that put me into that "zen" state while playing. But I couldn't say whether it would still do that for me, because I don't own a Jaguar anymore. :(

Soul Calibur - I remember loving SC in the arcades. It was a step up from Soul Edge, and after getting used to H+V+K no longer starting your supermove, and actually using the 8-way movement, it quickly became one of my favorite fighters. Then the Dreamcast version was released. Missions. New modes. New Weapons. New Fighters. Graphics BETTER than the Arcade. What's sick is that it could actually look better than what I remembered back in 2000. I played it recently on a 720p projector on an 82" screen, using a VGA adapter. It was sublime.

Baldurs Gate II
- It is an absolutely incredible RPG with damn near limitless replay value. I've only bought 6 PC games ever, and only two of them brand new. This is one of them. (CAVEAT: I've never played Planescape: Torment. I will change this soon.)

Super Mario All-Stars - Yes, its cheating because its a compilation. But WHAT a compilation. It took games that put Nintendo on the map, graphically enhanced them, AND included a (stupidly hard) game that wasn't originally released in the US. Its one of the 2 games that I'll never sell for my Super Nintendo.

Super Metroid- This is the other. :)

Halo Its one of those games that I didn't expect to like that much. I played through most of the game, and enjoying the story more and more as I progressed. Then a friend invited me over, and we played co-op on Legendary. It changed the experience. Now I was fighting for my life, and hoping that my friend could help me just get to Warthog so I could man the turrent gun. A year later, I would get to play 8-player using 4 xboxes. I've never had so much fun with a 1st-person shooter.

Taurus

mr jones said:
Super Mario All-Stars - Yes, its cheating because its a compilation. But WHAT a compilation. It took games that put Nintendo on the map, graphically enhanced them, AND included a (stupidly hard) game that wasn't originally released in the US. Its one of the 2 games that I'll never sell for my Super Nintendo.
Oh my god what a dumbass
I am by forgetting this game from my list. :/

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
There are only two perfect games outthere right now!

Wipeout 2097 and Quake 3 Arena.

If you're holding out for "perfect" to be a 10, when nothing is perfect... your scale is flawed. 10s are just the highest recommendation you could personally give a game.

Gek54

There is some very rare screen tearing and no TFF wheel support but RSC2 nails just about every other aspect of the game, more so than any other game.

Ganondorfo

Devil may cry 3
Okami
Resident evil 4
Zelda a link to the past
Shenmue 2
Silent hill 2
Sonic 1,3
Shinobi 3
Shadow of the colossus
Halo
Suikoden 2
Xenogears
Chrono trigger
Final fantasy 7
Metroid prime

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Zelda: LttP
Zelda: OoT
Zelda: TP
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Super Mario World
Sonic 2
Mario 64
Tetris
StarCraft

Big-E

Final Fantasy Tactics
Alpha Centauri
Metal Gear Solid
Vagrant Story
Resistance: Fall of Man
Knights of the Old Republic
Wing Commander II

Sapiens

A perfect 10 game is a very personal thing - but over the years, even though no games is perfect, I have compiled a small list.

Castlevania SotN - again, not a perfect game, but it does everything right for a 2D exploration game

Super Metroid - One of the most well crafted games ever.

Shinobi III - the pinacle of arcade ninja action in 2D

MGS2 - the gameplay was and still is incredibly fun and fluid.

Zelda - Links Awakening - a superb portable game, and holds place in my list as the best 2D zelda

Donkey Kong 94 - so addicting and well designed

Mario 3 - nuff said

GunValkyrie - Not a very popular choice - but I had a blast with it. Unique game, IMO

Street Figher III TS - ST perfection - great game

KoF 99 - the very best KoF game - KoF 98 is very close behind

MotW - just a perfect NeoGeo Fighting game package

Tomb Raider 1 - fantastic game in 1996 - and because I only played it once, it remains a perfect 10

Sonic 1 on Genesis - a triumph of game design on the genesis - simple, fun and replayable

These are the games that come to mind immediately - so this list could have been very different if I made it a year ago - or not. Either way, these are games I found no significant fault with and played to completetion while enjoying them immensly.

Jiggy

Pokemon D/P, FR/LG, R/B/Y, Emerald (not R/S) - These games have infinite replayability and nigh-infinite depth.
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Infinite replayability factor again, slightly less depth but it's still a really high tier.
Star Ocean 2 - Infinite replayability with next to no depth.
Tales of Symphonia - See above.
Final Fantasy VI - The relative easiness of the game somehow improves it; much like a beat-em-up, any one battle isn't that tough, but they're so quick and there are so many of them that it works out. I've played this at least a dozen times.
Chrono Trigger - Pretty much in the same boat as FFVI except I've played it at least three dozen times.
WWF No Mercy - More infinite replayability. Can you figure out what I value?
Advance Wars: Dual Strike - And again.

That's about it. The foremost runners-up:

Goldeneye 007 - Has the replayability factor, but unlike the others, it can't do it in single-player alone. (Neither can Pokemon, but that has strategic depth to compensate.)
Yoshi's Island - Best 2D platformer ever, but it's not replayable.
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Best adventure game ever, but see Yoshi's Island.
Elite Beat Agents - Outright brilliant, pulled off marvelously in every way, but once you've beaten it there's not much to do.
Advance Wars 2 - Mostly like AWDS, but some characters and units were still broken at the time.
F-Zero GX - See Elite Beat Agents.
Kirby Super Star - Hybrid of a platformer and beat-em-up. Has the FFVI easy-but-fun factor, but again--no infinite replayability.

Zelda OOT
Goldeneye
Super Metroid
Resident Evil 4
Yoshi's Island
Metroid Prime
Halo
Ico
Mario 64
Half-Life 2
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

Top Bottom