• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you consider to be 'Perfect 10's?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ike said:
I played it, great game, but not worthy of a ten. Even Super Mario RPG, which is a better game still does not deserve a 10.

:mad: *summons Dragona*

As for my choices.

-Resident Evil 4
-Super Mario Bros 3
-Cave Story
-Super Metroid
-Paper Mario

Nameless

Chrono Trigger
Phantasy Star IV
Xenogears
Virtua Fighter 2 & 4
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Final Fantasy VI
Super Metroid
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Dragon Force
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Vagrant Story
Super Mario Bros. 3
Metal Gear Solid 3
San Andreas
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Robotron 2084 is the only videogame I can give a perfect "10", no matter how many hours I enjoy putting into the latest and supposedly greatest new games.

Pure no-nonsense, hardcore score adrenaline rush, dashed with just the right amount of color/personality in the graphics and sound effects that remain...perfect.

mollipen

Unbiased Basturd said:
Some didn't get the thread starter. 10 = the best it can get BECAUSE perfection is not conceivable. He does not mean 10 = perfect.

"Perfect" is such a bizarre word to begin. It's those words that doesn't make sense like "impossible" and stuff like that. People, stop being too litteral and use your intelligence to read between the lines.

Well, if we're talking about the perfect game to you personally, even in the absence of an ability to have a truly perfect game, then I still can't think of one game I would call personally perfect. There's never been a game where I didn't feel like it could have been greatly improved by this or that feature, and I'm sure I'll never play such a game before my death.

Nander

Shenmue - Every time I try to describe my love for gaming I end up describing Shenmue. That must mean something...
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Halo: Combat Evolved
Half-Life 2

haircut said:
It gets misapplied more often than not, but such is English and humanity. The concept of impossibility is still sound.

This was a dumb thing to start debating anyway and I apologize for that.

That's ok. We would derail the thread anyways. But that wasn't dumb, there's no dumb subjects if it's an intelligent discussion. ;)

Barnolde

Banned
Half-Life 1 & 2
Super Mario World
Deus Ex
Sonic 2/Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Shenmue

Schafer said:

Hell yeah! Best Star Wars game ever!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ronito said:
So many people saying OoT. Have they all forgotten the water temple?

One slightly annoying level isn't enough to take away from the entire experience (plus I thought the first 3 were more annoying).

LOCK

Super Mario World
Mario 64
Link To The Past
Ocarina Of Time
Twilight Princess
Resident Evil 4
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Soul Calibur
Final Fantasy 6 & 9 & 12
Vagrant Story

...of course there is more, I just can't think of any more :/

These are the only games I've played which I would have scored a ten at release and would still rate a ten. I feel bad leaving some of my favorites off the list, including Tecmo Super Bowl - NES and Baseball Stars - NES. They're my two favorite games. Advance Wars, Castlevania: SotN, Excitebike 64, Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2... didn't quite make the cut either. There are probably 100 games I've played I would give 9s to.

Counterstrike v. 1.5 - PC. Playing this on a LAN is really f'ing fun. I wish every FPS would control like Counterstrike.

Hot Shots Golf: Fore! - PS2. I don't see how they could make it much better.

Jet Grind Radio - DC. Optimal blend of action, challenge, and length.

Metal Gear Solid - PS1. Great action, boss fights, story, acting, music. MGS is just a really awesome experience.

Tetris - GB. The best version of the best puzzle game. I'm sure I've played this hundreds of hours and I haven't gotten tired of it.

Virtua Fighter 4 - PS2. Even though I suck at fighters and really didn't play it more than ten hours or so, I have to respect its greatness.

Game I wouldn't even give a five: Rez. It almost "transcends" being a tech demo, I guess.

I always thought it was the tiny, bland overworld that made OOT less than 10. The dungeons/temples are outstanding though. I got lucky with the Water Temple.

Also, I want to add NHL 94 for Genesis. It did all the little things right, perfect hockey harmony. And I like that there's no fights.

Bildi

ronito said:
So many people saying OoT. Have they all forgotten the water temple?

What is with people and the water temple? I loved that temple. Especially that
key down the bottom of the centre shaft
, that was a great puzzle!

Anyways just sticking with current and last gen (otherwise too much thinking):

RE4
Metroid Prime
Rallisport 2
Ninja Gaiden
Thief 3
Twilight Princess
SSX3
SSX Tricky
Skies of Arcadia

terrene

Banned
aku:jiki said:
Whoever Mithos is is right, though. 10/100 does not mean "can never be matched or surpassed", it means it's the current peak of a genre.
Which is why EGM's straight 10s for
Zelda: TP
were total b.s.

mikeGFG

Banned
Tetris

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 3

Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Metroid

Metal Gear Solid
Starcraft
Counter Strike (non-Source)

Ninja Gaiden Black

Sumidor

Psychonauts - Hands down the most "complete" game i've ever played. The story, the gameplay, the visuals, the voice-overs.. I can't really think of a single thing I didn't like about the game, other than.. WHERE'S THE DAMN SEQUEL?!

Gav

Ocarina of Time (N64) - I know lots of people have said it, but it still genuinely is the greatest thing i have ever played. I thought everything about it was perfect.

Burnout Revenge (Xbox) - I know alot of people didnt like this as much as the others, but this was the most fun i had with a game in a very very long time. I spent so much time with this, and still do.

Halo:CE (XBox) - Xbox, Day 1, Jaw open, much fun, blood gulch. That is all.

PGR2 (Xbox) - Almost purely for the amount of fun you could have online with it. Best online experiences of my life. And powersliding that Enzo round Edinburgh was amazing.

MGS (PS1) - Played this not knowing what to expect (I was an N64 fanboy, and no interweb) and was promptly blown away. I remember thinking WOOOAH when my footprints were found :lol Loved finishing that game.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System) - I know the Megadrive/Genesis version was better in almost every way, but there is still something about this version that i love to pieces. The waterfall in the jungle and Scrap Brain zone were my favourites.

Perfect Dark (N64) - Yeah Goldeneye was omgwtf amazing, but even though the framerate got pants, this is one of the few games that - for me - exceeded the uber hype. Still boot it up to fly through single player. Multi at the time was unbeatable.

Geometry Wars (360) - Yes there are other games on the 360 i would be quite happy to put here (Gears, PGR3), but GW is so stunningly simple, yet well done. Custom soundtracks and playing it over and over never gets old.

Pellham

Banned
shidoshi said:
Sorry, but I disagree on this one - well, depending on what you consider "significant." Let's say we're talking about the original Tetris here. Did it have a welld developed two player more? If it did, I can always think of ways in which it could be improved. It would have to be online playable before it could be perfect. It would have to have a wide variety of multiplayer modes, such as the "Push" mode from Tetris DS, or the joint two-player mode from Tengen Tetris, before it could be perfect.

If you can imagine "adding more of this or that," then the game sure as hell isn't perfect, because a perfect game would be so complete and such a well-rounded experience that you wouldn't even begin to imagine what could or should be added to it. "Perfect" is to be without flaws, and missing any obvious features or options, even minor ones, means it has flaws.

There's this thing called the law of diminishing returns. Merely adding more features to Tetris simply does not enhance the game in a meaningful way. Take an RPG. Say it is the best RPG you've ever played. Now add 2-3 more dungeons to it. Is that an actual improvement, or is that just adding more stuff for the sake of adding more stuff? If the game had only 3 dungeons to begin with, then that would more than doubling the content so it's a significant content increase. If the game already had 100 dungeons before you added the 2-3 dungeons, then it's practically insignificant.

Adding multiplayer, push mode, etc., to Tetris falls into that insignificant/diminishing return category IMO. You've already got what is basically a flawless gaming experience with the way Tetris already is. Adding more stuff to it simply does not affect it in a meaningful way.

And you don't even need to look at Tetris. Try some non-video games like Checkers, Chess, Othello, etc. These are all "perfect" games.

Not sure I'm getting you here. If a game was 99% perfect, except for the graphics, would not a graphical upgrade to said game then be perfect if eveything else was equal?

The reason for this rule is so you don't have 100234 versions of Tetris or other similar games as being perfect. A sequel/update is by definition not perfect because it's a rehash of something that was already done before, only with a few added features.

Sorry, as I stated above, I disagree with you here. You say flaw is the presence of a negative aspect - I say flaw is the presence of a negative aspect, or the lack of a positive one.

If something doesn't detract from the experience, it should not be considered a flaw IMO. So that would exclude "the lack of positive" flaws. If you think every game has a flaw, more power to you. I'm simply not that nitpicky. I don't think there are any flaws in a game like Tetris or similar games (such as Chess, Checkers, etc.)

stressboy

Metroid
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime - can ya tell I like Metroid?
God of War
Baldur's Gate 2
World of Warcraft
Half Life 2
Final Fantasy VI
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Starcraft
Fallout

Game-Biz

There's a few games that I consider to be "perfect 10s." The latest game that I would consider to be a "10" would be Twilight Princess...

*runs for the hills*

super mario bros - NES

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - SNES / Arcade

Guardian Heroes - Saturn

Daytona - Arcade

Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike - Dreamcast/Arcade

ICO - PS2

GT4 - PS2

Prince of Persia Sands of Time -PS2

Psychonauts - PS2 (despite the damn meat circus)

Grim Fandango - PC

wii sports (Tennis only) - wii

Mario Kart DS

Gears of War - 360

Half Life 2 - PC (bring out the damn HL2 pack for 360 Valve!)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
favouriteflavour said:
Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike - Dreamcast/Arcade

The DC and Arcade versions are like two totally separate games imo because of timing issues. SF3 3s is my favorite game but its still not a 10 either.

Game-Biz said:
There's a few games that I consider to be "perfect 10s." The latest game that I would consider to be a "10" would be Twilight Princess...

*runs for the hills*

That hill must be crowded cause a ton of us would score TP a ten, myself included.

For me its:

Legend of Zelda
Zelda: Oot
Zelda: MM
Zelda: TP
MGS1
MGS3
RE4
Metroid Prime

Theres no such thing as a perfect game, but for me I guess a perfect 10/10 would be a game I can go back and play time and time again, without my enjoyment being diminished despite any flaws it may have - suffice to say, theres only a handfull of games i'd consider that good;

Valkyrie Profile
Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Simon the Sorceror
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Discworld
Super Castlevania IV
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Rise of the Triad
Loom.

Day of the Tentacle - truth.
Street Fighter Alpha 2, probably Super SF2 Turbo as well..
King of Fighters 98
Resident Evil 4
Geometry Wars
Pokemon Silver/Gold
Mario Kart DS, despite its flaws.

eXistor

Super Metroid
Link to the Past
Earthbound

almost
Ocarina of Time
Metroid Prime
Super Mario Bros. 3

And I'm seriously not even a Nintendo fanboy, these games just surpass everything else.

Top Bottom