• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you consider to be 'Perfect 10's?

King of Fighters '98 - 2D fighters never got better than this.
Street Fighter III: Third Strike - Technical Perfection.
Suikoden II - quite possibly the best 2D RPG ever made.
Rez - Transcends gaming.

This is really tough, it's hard to say which games really reached those heights n my eyes.

Ganondorfo

I am surprised that nobody said these games

GEARS OF WAR
STAR WARS KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC
BANJO KAZOOIE
SKIES OF ARCADIA
DONKEY KONG COUNTRY 1
METAL GEAR SOLID 3

Gio_CoD

Banned
Sim City
The Sims (the franchise has been beaten to death, but the original is still a great game/concept)
Half-Life
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario 64
Zelda: OoT and Twilight Princess
Metal Gear Solid
REMake

EDIT

Guitar Hero

Mallrat83

Banned
Link's Awakening
OOT
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
SSBM
Super Mario 64
Sim City (SNES)
Metal Gear Solid
Grim Fandango
Super Mario Bros. 3 and World
Yoshi's Island
Tecmo Super Bowl
I'm sure there are a few more games, but this is all that comes to mind now.

mollipen

There has never been a "perfect" game, nor a game worthy of getting the highest rating on a ratings scale if the highest rating is considered close to or equal to perfect, and I'm pretty confident in saying that there never will be. There is always something about a game that shouldn't have been done, can be fixed, or changed to make the game better.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
shidoshi said:
There has never been a "perfect" game, and I'm pretty confident in saying that there never will be. There is always something about a game that shouldn't have been done, can be fixed, or changed to make the game better.
A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect, however. No game is perfect.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Link to the Past
Metroid Prime
Half-Life 2
God of War
Super Mario Bros.
FF7
X-Men the Arcade game (the one with the 3 screens)

...Red Steel...? :D

Odrion

Banned
shidoshi said:
There has never been a "perfect" game, nor a game worthy of getting the highest rating on a ratings scale if the highest rating is considered close to or equal to perfect, and I'm pretty confident in saying that there never will be. There is always something about a game that shouldn't have been done, can be fixed, or changed to make the game better.

boooooooooooooooorring

Ike

the thoroughbred said:
I would go with the fact that not a lot of people have played it. Just sayin.
I played it, great game, but not worthy of a ten. Even Super Mario RPG, which is a better game still does not deserve a 10.

Pellham

Banned
shidoshi said:

I disagree. What about Tetris?

I think a game can be called perfect if it does three things:

1) cannot be improved (where an improvement is defined as a significant improvement, not merely adding more of this or adding more of that)
2) is not a graphical upgrade/update of a previous game
3) has no flaws (where a flaw is defined as a game element that is completely detractory to the experience)

The original Tetris for the PC matches all 3 unquestionably. And there are quite a few other games that meet that criteria.

BTW I don't think a 10 denotes perfection. I would describe a 10 game like this. Take all of the games that you ever gave a 9 or 9.5 to (or believe that they warrant at least a 9), and take the top 10% of those games. Those are probably 10 quality games to you.

yonder

Advance Wars (the first one on GBA). I wouldn't change a thing. It's perfect, like chess. And somehow I thought of Metroid Prime despite many other games having higher rankings in my book. It's just an awesome, well-paced experience from start to finish.

Endgegner

Yoshi's Island is the only game that I really can think off which I would rate a perfect 10. There was just nothing I didn't like about this game when it came out. Unique graphics, simply perfect controls, a ton off levels with an incredible replability, a great beginning, an absolutly awesome finish, unlockables, mini games, great sound effects, innovative use of all snes hardware features, just everything.

I guess one could critize the difficulty level (although the unlockable levels did offer a fair challenge) but that never mattered to me because I always enjoyed just playing the levels.

When I was 14 and had holidays I had the ritual that I had to beat the last level everytime before I went to sleep for about 6 weeks. Good times.

Super Mario brothers 1- Simple and intuitive with lots of worthwhile secrets that reward curious explorers. Right balance of difficulty, excellent controls for the most part.

Super Mario 64- everything about this game is surreal. Used to play it on an annual basis. Again, at its debut it was a redefinition of what games could be and how they should control.

Warioware twisted- its the antigame! yet still a brilliant piece of gaming minimalism.

Link awakening dx- presents a charming overworld begging for exploration, yet unlike alot of imitators the game simultaneously feels large without coming off as feeling empty. Dungeons are clever in their aesthetics and their design and the story isnt forcefed to you, but rather hinted at throughout your conversations with npcs.

tetris dx- greatest puzzle game ever made, but portable and in color and with a battery to save high scores!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
tiefightersmallvn2.jpg

jediknightqc2.jpg

f2smallcx0.jpg

mercssmalldd1.jpg

xcomsmallqm7.jpg

bg2smallaf3.jpg

pstsmalldv9.jpg

sc2smalleq5.jpg

ss2smalles2.jpg

dxsmallkd6.jpg

scraftsmallus6.jpg

d2smallpu7.jpg

hlsmallyp0.jpg

hl2smallug6.jpg

cohsmallsu5.jpg

I often find, that its the flaws of something that highlight the peaks, and its the perfection of these cycles, or the equilibrium to which they are portrayed, which makes something perfect. It adds character and depth to the final product. If you think of a women, she can have the most beautiful body, perfect complexion, but the vagina is so ugly. I mean space yourself out, and literally it isn't like a leg, breast, eyes, skin etc etc. But we are still attracted to the vagina. I myself am too.

Sorry to be so vulgar. If you think I should edit and remove, please request.

Soul4ger

Pellham said:
definately not Chrono Cross.

ANDREW VESTAL SAYS U R STUPID.

Anyway, I have two choices:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

The former being my primary choice. Aside from graphics, which are brutal, the game is brilliant in its execution. It's short, which is bad, but it really leaves you wanting more, which is good. And to this day, and I've probably played through it 10 times, I can sit down and play straight through it, without ever getting frustrated or bored.

mollipen

Ike said:
A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect, however. No game is perfect.

That's why I edited my post a bit afterward. If a "10" on a ratings scale is considered perfect, then that score should never be used. If it just means "really damn good," then I have no problem with giving a game a 10. It all depends on how the ratings scale is skewed.

Pellham said:
I disagree. What about Tetris?

I think a game can be called perfect if it does three things:

1) cannot be improved (where an improvement is defined as a significant improvement, not merely adding more of this or adding more of that)

Sorry, but I disagree on this one - well, depending on what you consider "significant." Let's say we're talking about the original Tetris here. Did it have a welld developed two player more? If it did, I can always think of ways in which it could be improved. It would have to be online playable before it could be perfect. It would have to have a wide variety of multiplayer modes, such as the "Push" mode from Tetris DS, or the joint two-player mode from Tengen Tetris, before it could be perfect.

If you can imagine "adding more of this or that," then the game sure as hell isn't perfect, because a perfect game would be so complete and such a well-rounded experience that you wouldn't even begin to imagine what could or should be added to it. "Perfect" is to be without flaws, and missing any obvious features or options, even minor ones, means it has flaws.

2) is not a graphical upgrade/update of a previous game

Not sure I'm getting you here. If a game was 99% perfect, except for the graphics, would not a graphical upgrade to said game then be perfect if eveything else was equal?

3) has no flaws (where a flaw is defined as a game element that is completely detractory to the experience)

Sorry, as I stated above, I disagree with you here. You say flaw is the presence of a negative aspect - I say flaw is the presence of a negative aspect, or the lack of a positive one.

The original Tetris for the PC matches all 3 unquestionably. And there are quite a few other games that meet that criteria.

Nope. The original Tetris is far from prefect, and at the least certainly far from your #1, as I stated.

BTW I don't think a 10 denotes perfection. I would describe a 10 game like this. Take all of the games that you ever gave a 9 or 9.5 to (or believe that they warrant at least a 9), and take the top 10% of those games. Those are probably 10 quality games to you.

But if I gave the game a 9.0 or a 9.5, then it is a 9.0 or a 9.5, no matter how you want to list things.

Hero

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart DS

Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Metroid Zero Mission

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Chrono Trigger

Resident Evil 4
Mega Man 2

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Soul Calibur

Diablo 1
Diablo 2
Starcraft
World of Warcraft

Ike

shidoshi said:
That's why I edited my post a bit afterward. If a "10" on a ratings scale is considered perfect, then that score should never be used. If it just means "really damn good," then I have no problem with giving a game a 10. It all depends on how the ratings scale is skewed.
I think whenever someone uses the 10 point rating scale, the elustrious "perfect" 10 is non-exsistant. The reviewer is merely saying that this game is one of the greatest achievements ever in gaming and all other games should aspire to its greatness.

Very few PS3/360/Wii games on people's lists. I guess we are still waiting to see what the developers can do.

Gears did make some people's lists.

first Need for Speed in 3DO
Wing Commander III
Gran Turismo PS1
Project Gotham 2 Xbox
Rainbow Six Xbox
M.u.l.e C64
Donkey kong jr Colecovision
Splinter Cell Caos Theory
Tecmo Football
Grim Fandango
SAM & Max
Beyond Good and Evil
Kotor
Racing destruction Set
summer games
Track and Field

Tetris (Gameboy)
Bubble Bobble (never ending replay value)
Planescape: Torment (best rpg. period.)

Every other game that makes me remember when i was a young boy/teenager (snes!)

Tiktaalik

A lot of people always say that you can never have a 10/10 game because you can never have a "perfect" game. I'm pretty sure though that Starcraft is the fabled "perfect game". Why? Well it set the bar for RTS games so high that no RTS game has really taken the crown from it. It's still being played extensively today and there is so much depth to the game that years after it's release, new strategies are always being discovered. Finally, unlike other games people frequently list on 10/10 lists, it hasn't aged badly at all. If you play Zelda:OoT today for example, it has poor graphics and terrible sound. Starcraft on the other hand still looks great.

Starcraft: The Perfect Game*

*This post brought to you by The Fans of Starcraft for the Continuing Support of Starcraft.

Fady K

Xenosaga 3: Also Sprach Zarathustra
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy VII
Vagrant Story
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 4
Final Fantasy XII
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Metroid Prime
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Silent Hill 2

A whole lot more but those mentioned above came to mind fast enough.

Some didn't get the thread starter. 10 = the best it can get BECAUSE perfection is not conceivable. He does not mean 10 = perfect.

"Perfect" is such a bizarre word to begin. It's those words that doesn't make sense like "impossible" and stuff like that. People, stop being too litteral and use your intelligence to read between the lines.

haircut

Unbiased Basturd said:
Some didn't get the thread starter. 10 = the best it can get BECAUSE perfection is not conceivable. He does not mean 10 = perfect.

"Perfect" is such a bizarre word to begin. It's those words that doesn't make sense like "impossible" and stuff like that. People, stop being too litteral and use your intelligence to read between the lines.
The concept of impossibility makes total sense.

haircut said:
The concept of impossibility makes total sense.

Not in the case where there's a possibility there's something you don't know. We don't know much about life and the reality of this universe and the word "impossible" makes sense only with some very simple things we can truly verify.

can we stop this whole stupid there is no such thing as a perfect 10 game.

a 10 doesn't mean the game is perfect it just means the score is perfect.

that's like saying their should be no "two thumbs up" movie reviews, it should only be 1.95 thumbs up because hey they could have cut that one shot by a second.

five star music review!!! i dont think so that album wasn't perfect, the drumming on track three was off key a tad bit.

so please stop saying this no such thing as a 10 b.s.

haircut

Unbiased Basturd said:
Not in the case where there's a possibility there's something you don't know. We don't know much about life and the reality of this universe and the word "impossible" makes sense only with some very simple things we can truly verify.
It gets misapplied more often than not, but such is English and humanity. The concept of impossibility is still sound.

This was a dumb thing to start debating anyway and I apologize for that.

Wink

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 4
That's the only game where I thought from start to finish: "This is just perfect in every way."

Deus Ex I would say is also an example of a 10/10 game

Top Bottom