• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Happened to the FPS Boost Program on the Series S|X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jose92

[Membe
Before the current gen console launched everyone was lauding the FPS boost program by Microsoft. But the last fps boosted games we got were in May.

To be fair the FPS boost program has started really well and did improve some of the last gen games, and one example is Prey. Prey in 60fps is a transformed game.

But Are they going to fps boost any more games ? Or that is it?

Kacho

I’ve been wondering this myself. There are still plenty of games that could use the boost. Maybe they have another huge drop coming.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
We can expect some info during next week's celebration event:

xbox-anniversary-event-date-1920x1080-1634655226429.jpg

Dural

I was wondering this the other day, my son was playing Disneyland Adventures and it could seriously use the boost. I don't know what it is about the game, I'm guessing no motion blur, but it looks like shit when panning the camera.

TrackZ

Now would be a great time to announce another 100+ titles or so going into the holiday period. Hoping for news maybe at the celebration, per the above post.

Kilau

Crappy thing is that some games get locked to really low resolutions. FC5 for example has a 4K 30fps mode for Xbox One X but if you enable fps boost on Series X to get 60fps it drops the resolution down to Xbox One S mode, 1440x1080…

Hopefully they are working on situations like that.

This is an amazing feature with really disappointing execution. Having the resolution get dropped and settings lowered to get 60 fps kinda kills it for me. I understand there are a few that didn't get downgraded like Prey but still.

elliot5

It takes time to test and get approval from the game publishers/owners. I also suspect they are targeting select games based on popularity and Cloud availability as most FPS Boosts benefit cloud streaming more than anything going from 30 to 60 fps.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ds3 happened and then there was no need to continue. 😂

I’m pretty sure they boosted it 😂😂😂🤷‍♂️

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is the final BC drop so I am guessing that means FPS boost as well?
I’m assuming the FPS programme is separate.

Thank You to the Xbox Community

This latest and final addition of 70+ titles to the backwards compatibility program

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

CuNi

Shame. Hoped they might somehow manage to add some additional games regardless but still.
Thanks for the source.

Alpha Male

Them Ubi slags better get that 60fps on that Origins and Wildlands
These two games and Mass Effect Andromeda are the only games left that I really care about for FPS boost anymore...can't really think of any others. Both Red Dead games should get a remaster in the near future so I don't care too much about those right now.

Even if bc is over, it would be really nice if they kept pushing fps boost and 4k. 4k is the big thing for me. I play on a big screen and many of the older games look rough in their original resolution.
Was super pumped to play Max Payne 3 on back compat but fuck its ugly.

Where’s the Rez Boost?
This is another thing that I find extremely disappointing about MS management. They must've decided at some point in 2021 that resolution no longer mattered and they were only going to focus on fps boost because all their talking heads started only mentioning fps. Then, we get that huge fps boosted games drop late last year with games like Max Payne 3 that only get 60 fps and it's like ..well that sucks because while these games now play great but they often look like total crap at these low resolutions! Max Payne 3 would be such a looker at 4k. Everyone thought that it would be resolution boosted if they ever released it but we were wrong.

It's very disappointing how MS seems to have stopped caring about BC and resolution. There are still glaring omissions of exclusive games such as quantum break not getting 60 fps, ryse and sunset overdrive getting nothing, dead rising 3 ...nothing ...then there's the stuff like Gears ultimate which got fps boost but no res boost, far cry 5 being downgraded in res to hit 60/gears 4- same thing ..

Like wtf MS you hyped and promised the crap out of how the Series X would boost games but you only went a half a step with it.. I was hoping at the conference yesterday we'd get some surprise updates.

mod edit: do not bump 7 month old threads with nothing of substance to the original topic. Start a new thread please.

Last edited by a moderator:

intbal

This is another thing that I find extremely disappointing about MS management. They must've decided at some point in 2021 that resolution no longer mattered and they were only going to focus on fps boost because all their talking heads started only mentioning fps. Then, we get that huge fps boosted games drop late last year with games like Max Payne 3 that only get 60 fps and it's like ..well that sucks because while these games now play great but they often look like total crap at these low resolutions! Max Payne 3 would be such a looker at 4k. Everyone thought that it would be resolution boosted if they ever released it but we were wrong.

It's very disappointing how MS seems to have stopped caring about BC and resolution. There are still glaring omissions of exclusive games such as quantum break not getting 60 fps, ryse and sunset overdrive getting nothing, dead rising 3 ...nothing ...then there's the stuff like Gears ultimate which got fps boost but no res boost, far cry 5 being downgraded in res to hit 60/gears 4- same thing ..

Like wtf MS you hyped and promised the crap out of how the Series X would boost games but you only went a half a step with it.. I was hoping at the conference yesterday we'd get some surprise updates.

Perhaps all their attention has been focused on managing the takeover of Activision-Blizzard.
When that is complete and approved, maybe they will refocus on enhancements to their existing library.

lucius

The 3 you mention Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and Ryse really would benefit from FPS boost I always thought they get at least that. Sunset Overdrive I got on Steam besides Xbox but it has a common crash bug I cant get by. Their BC was one of best things they were doing I hope they can continue again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom