• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Microsoft announced an Xbox One Portable?

Skyzard

Banned
I'm sure Microsoft would give your more power for your buck than Nintendo can but that might be asking a bit too much.

They'd be better off getting streaming to work with phones and sell a phone mount for the xb1 controller.

Maybe have their next system do something similar to the wiiu with more range and a play over net feature, or the nvidia shield streaming tech, which I've been using with my phone through moonlight and it's damn good for most games.

JayEH

lmao I could swear we had this exact thread a few weeks ago. I love how you guys think it's so easy to take a PS4 or Xbox and compact it to be portable with decent battery and price. The Switch is as powerful as it is for a reason.

Rolf NB

They would lose a ton subsidizing. Because the machine melts itself into a puddle after one minute of operation, they'd lose even more on warranty replacements.

Product would be withdrawn from shelves after a month.

The burnt-down homes and assorted injuries would lead to a class action lawsuit.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Everyone posting here realizes such a prospect is an utter fantasy, right?

That concept is hilariously impossible right now for any company.

Garou

OP, the Switch undocked has a maximum power draw of 8.9W.

The Xbox One S, the latest hardware revision, has a power draw of 50W, which is already half of what the original Xbox One demanded.

Leaving aside issues of economics, what you're proposing is not physically possible and won't be for many years.

This is the correct answer, but the majority rather wants to throw around imaginary spec-bulletpoints without any connection to reality.

MilkyJoe

Oh also if it gives me a blowjob and they pay me $50 to use it, as long as we are asking for ridiculous things.

Yeah, it's an xbox one portable and it plays xbox one games and it's ridiculous to expect cross play? Can you hear yourself?

L.O.R.D

what if Sony made PS4 portable that play all you digital games and have SD card slot so you can backup your games to it and make each SD card for each game you want so you can have your own physical games.

If Microsoft are serious that every game going forward needs to support Xbox One and they have that as the minimum requirement for the next 10 years... then a portable Xbox One might not be a crazy idea at a reasonable price.

Right now it isn't realistic. And I don't expect Halo 8 on the Xbox 3 to have to support an Xbox One configuration.

Hardwaredesign portbegging as retaliation for the Switch software portbegging.

lol

Honestly i think most if the hardware portbegging is coming from people who maybe don't own ps4s and xboxes. They post these threads as a way to claim that the way switch does it is superior. As someone who's not into switch and enjoys playing on my home theater I would never want ps or xbox to go the switch way unless we had the tech to not lose graphical fidelity.

Like it's cool maybe you'd finally consider getting a ps4 or xbox one of they switchized it, but I wouldn't if I had to use that as my home console on my 100 inch screen.

lmao I could swear we had this exact thread a few weeks ago. I love how you guys think it's so easy to take a PS4 or Xbox and compact it to be portable with decent battery and price. The Switch is as powerful as it is for a reason.

Yeah, the last one was for a Playstation Switch analogue. Shit sounds great on paper but can't exist IRL.

MTC100

Banned
The system wouldn't be much more powerful than the Switch, unless AMD somehow, magically created a 10nm shrink of their Xbox One SOC but I don't think that will happen, I'm not even sure if such a shrink would be enough to make it viable in a handheld device.

So... the portable would have to be as powerful as the switch, perhaps a little bit more powerful, I don't think the system would succeed. Not against Nintendo, not in their handheld market.

Certinty

If Sony/MS made a portable machine that could play my digital PS4/XO games I would buy it instantly.

Wouldn't even have to think about it. I love gaming but unfortunately don't get much time at home to do it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Pointless in my opinion.

The games that people love to play on the Xbox One simply wouldn't work well in portable modes in my opinion. The games are more tailored for sitting in a chair or couch and playing them on the big(ger) screen. I feel that this played a big reason in why the Vita didn't do well.

Nintendo's franchises on the other hand have been on portable as well as home for many years; Hence why they have been doing well with the Switch so far. Nintendo's formats are simply more in tune for a system of that nature.

Frostman

I'm out of the loop with this, but how come a few posters are mentioning the Surface Pro? Can you stream XB1 games to it on the go?

120v

disregarding fantasyland stuff, it would be wise for MS to slowly migrate the xbox brand to windows tablets and phones (whether it be under the guise of 'play anywhere' or whatever)

Okay. What about a portable X360? Only problem with that: no new software, so they won't do it...

They could land somewhere between the 360 and the Xbox One with a portable device. That's where the Switch sits, after all.

Their scaling/play anywhere/forward compat initiatives haven't quite matured enough yet, though, and the XB1 wasn't designed with those ideas in mind. So while it'd be nice to have a device that's weaker than Xbox One but can scale its games and play them portably, I think it'll take a few years of advance planning on MS's part, beginning with an Xbox One successor that IS designed with those ideas in mind, to enable a portable Xbox platform that retains the larger Xbox library.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I would expect them to brand Surface tablets, hybrids Xbox before making an actual handheld.

I mean, in theory for the GPU they could use a very large die running at a really low clock rate, but that would be very expensive. Unfortunately that solution doesn't work for the CPU since CPU operations aren't very parallel.

Ploid 3.0

It would be a mistake. Let phones, and tablets rule that market. They aren't going anywhere, and they only get better. Just make an attachment or something that give them controllers. Sell software through the controller. Get royalties that way.

cireza

This thread reminds me of a thread we had, maybe a few months ago.

Was pretty much the exact same thing, and people were indeed pointing at the battery problem back then.

Falchion

There's no way I would buy a portable with a screen smaller than the Switch at this point so even though it would be awesome to have my library on the go, the Vita sized screen would be a deal-breaker.

Larogue

Probably Microsoft already have plans for it.

But we gotta wait before there is a portable solution that is capable of running Xbox One games with being power and cost efficient.

The current best gaming mobile SoC is Tegra X1. And we've seen how weak the switch is, and barely can match an Xbox360 (although it's using tuned down version of Tegra X1).

However Tegra P1 and whatever AMD is cooking, both seems promising. And we could see such thing in 2018.

NolbertoS

Does MS have tge capability to make a Xbox One portable, yes. Will specs and currebt games suffer on it, yea. Will it affect their slogan and culture that being top in specs is a given, yes. Its a double edged sword if they do release one. But in all seriousness, it needs variety and recognizable IP's to even compete against the Switch, iPhone, Google, Vita market. MS have never released a portable machine that only plays games, they'd be in unfamiliar territory, maybe losing millions in the first 5 years to break into that market. Can't see MS trying the startup route again, after still not breaking even after 12 years in thw console market.

Maybe a generation from now when the tech to do so is cheaper and actually feasible to put in a Switch style form factor. As for now, Microsoft and Sony have nothing to gain right now in following Nintendo with the Switch style portable for their current hardware.

Magwik

Banned
Does this question take place in another universe where a portable X1 with 4 hours of battery life and the size of a Switch is possible?

Like of course I'd be interested in such a device be it PS4 or XB1, but it isn't happening for a long ass time.

sphinx

the piano man
not to derail.....

but I'd looooove a portable gamecube.

one that would play the games we already own.

It probably wouldn't be far off my first laptop;
compaqI.JPG

nubbe

there is no x86 cpu that is that power efficient
would need even more powerful ARM to emulate

these fiction threads...

yyr

128GB storage? Thats like one Quantum Break.

True, but:
1) there are many, many digital games on Xbox that are <2GB. Think things like Shovel Knight, Peggle 2, other indies, smaller 3rd-party games, and so forth. You'd be able to grab a ton of those, and maybe one or two bigger games along with.
2) if you just *have* to have everything, spend a fortune on MicroSD lol

Imo, the exclusives worth a damn on XB are MP focused and don't seem suited for portable.

You'd also be able to play the large number of games shared between PS4 and XB1. Many of those still come to Vita, but that faucet won't be running forever.

Honestly i think most if the hardware portbegging is coming from people who maybe don't own ps4s and xboxes. They post these threads as a way to claim that the way switch does it is superior.

That isn't my motivation at all.

I own both PS4 and Xbox One. And 3DS. And Vita. Heck, even Wii U. I love games, and I also love being able to take my games with me when I travel. I would not want to sacrifice the home experience, just to be able to bring my games on the road.

Supporting a second platform has gotten to be too difficult for gaming companies over these last few years. This is why Sony and Nintendo are both dropping down to one.

Switch is on the right track. But--and maybe it will take a few more years for technology to catch up--I would love to be able to bring a more robust library with me, that dates back many years. I'd like to use more traditional controls to play those games. And, I'd like something a bit smaller. As in, Vita-sized, at most. This device would check all of my boxes, and would not impact the experience for those folks who weren't interested.

For the record, I do plan to get a Switch eventually, as long as lots of developers embrace it (as they did the 3DS). But it's less portable than I'd like. (If the Switch Mini rumors turn out to be true, I'd jump on that...)

Top Bottom