• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Microsoft announced an Xbox One Portable?

Matt

A poster above said that the XB1S draws 50W. I haven't fact-checked.

Since it would only need to push 720p, it wouldn't need to be as powerful, so that helps.

On the other hand, we'd need to power a screen.

Bottom line: I don't know exactly how feasible or not-feasible this is. I see lots of comparisons to Switch, but that's $299 and also includes other new tech that this would not. Maybe in a few years?
That's not how that works, at all.

This machine isn't happening.

bluestar15

Neo Member
It would be great if it ran windows making it a phenomenal indie machine. But that's not likely to happen.

And yes I'm aware there are other machines that fit this bill. But not who could make a machine as powerful as one of the big three for a handheld.

There's just not an incentive for them to make something like that anyway.

If it ran Windows would Microsoft not make any money off of Xbox Live?

Fisty

Not a portable XB1, no.

But a full emulated experience on Surface 8 or something? Yeah I could see that, and honestly MS is probably the only one that could pull that off. Storage would be a huge factor though, you wouldn't get too far with 50GB games as it is now.

Probably wouldn't touch it honestly. I have a PC that I use to stream with the Moonlight app on my phone and to Steam Link. Played Gears and Forza on it earlier today and it worked great. I don't often take games with me places, but when I do my Switch will suffice. I could understand the desire to have native XBO games on the go, but I'm not seeing the market for it. Also, how many games are honestly worth playing on the go without internet? That's before we even get into the cost.

RedSwirl

Maybe a shrunken down Surface with Xbox buttons that plays UWP games while MS encourages indies to support it with Play Anywhere games. Would be a great low-end portable PC if it supported Win32. Basically Microsoft's GPD Win.

An actual portable Xbox One (or PS4)? It'd be interesting in about four years, especially if console manufacturers maintain a contiguous software library across generations.

TL;DR: It plays all existing and future digital XB1 games, it's as big as a Vita, it costs under $400

What if Microsoft developed and released magical unicorns into Earth's upper atmosphere?

I'm just saying, that shit's not possible.

Lol Yeah, this was basically my initial response. The OP's hypothetical is pure science fiction right now, given current FLOPS/thermals/battery limitations. We're at least 5 or so yrs away from something like this being possible and even then I'm not sure it'd be able to hit a mainstream price point.

Wedzi

Banned
That's not how that works, at all.

This machine isn't happening.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

But I too, love to dream.

GLAMr

I'd rather just buy an Xbox and play it on my nice big TV with kick ass speakers and comfy Italian leather couch using the glorious xbone controller.

I'd also prefer a plain box version if the switch with Ethernet, external HDD support and a pro controller which hooks up to my TV.

I'm a crusty old man; get off my lawn.

FyreWulff

I don't think such a device would have enough battery to finish booting. It'd make the Game Gear look downright economical.

Think its inevitable with with MS's "play anywhere" intiative. Still may be a bit early however...perhaps in the next couple years they introduce a portable into the xb1 family of consoles but in that scenario i cant imagine it getting its own exclusives...however that may not be a problem if it can play the entire existing xb1 and xb360 bc catelogs.

thatJohann

In terms of percentage, how much more powerful is an Xbox One compared to a Nintendo Switch? (e.g. Xbox is 20% more powerful)

Ballpark estimate please. Thx

antonz

The Switch is basically at he top of the power tree of what is capable right now. Xavier Tegra should arrive in the XBO-PS4 power range but that is still a bit off and we do not have concrete details on power consumption etc.

Portable Consoles will always be well behind power curve especially as GPU power has accelerated.

Aiustis

Technology for that is a bit far off.

But really it would be a good idea to work on. Tethered console gamers are only getting older and one would think they should embrace the young folk for which tvs are increasingly archaic.

Draper

I'm sure it's already been touched upon, but could you imagine if they released a Surface with an extremely competent graphics card?

Would be pretty sweet.

rockyt

Techinally it is possible, but not at the size switch is. Mot to mention battery technology gets beaten by a slug in a race. Basically battery technology hasnt really advance as fast as other tech. Forget about the price. You'll be looking at 400 easy.

I think you're underestimating Microsoft. Just because Nintendo wimps out and uses weak hardware for their portable doesn't mean Microsoft would as well.

The biggest issue with the Switch is it's using a very old SoC. Not only is it weaker than the new stuff, but also nowhere near as power efficient.

I think it's entirely possible that Microsoft can release a significantly more pwerful product than the Switch with at least the same battery life for not that much more money and still have it be profitable.

The biggest thing going for Microsoft beyond the loads of cash they have is the product would fit very well in the Play Anywhere ecosystem.

I do expect either Microsoft or Sony, perhaps both, to try the hybrid model. I just expect them to not make the same mistakes Nintendo did with the Switch.

Cerium

I think you're underestimating Microsoft. Just because Nintendo wimps out and uses weak hardware for their portable doesn't mean Microsoft would as well.

The biggest issue with the Switch is it's using a very old SoC. Not only is it weaker than the new stuff, but also nowhere near as power efficient.

I think it's entirely possible that Microsoft can release a significantly more pwerful product than the Switch with at least the same battery life for not that much more money and still have it be profitable.

The biggest thing going for Microsoft beyond the loads of cash they have is the product would fit very well in the Play Anywhere ecosystem.

I do expect either Microsoft or Sony, perhaps both, to try the hybrid model. I just expect them to not make the same mistakes Nintendo did with the Switch.
xyPmHxOoIc9Hi.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
If Microsoft announced that I would ride my flying blue unicorn to Microsoft's office and get one.

rockyt

No matter how big microsoft is or how much money they have or throw at it there are things that are simply impossible which relate to power consumptions and battery life.

The switch is actually utilizinh high end tech in it. For a portable and price point it really is a milestone. Comparing mobile technology to fix place technology does not equal the same result at the same price.

What if Christina Hendricks was my wife?

I mean, it's about equally plausible. And just because it isn't true now doesn't mean it couldn't theoretically happen five years from now, so let's just accept this what-if scenario at face value.

why would ms need to release portable console when they could simply beef up the xbox app to allow better remote play on phones/ipads with bluetooth xbox controls??

yyr

Looking back at this at the end of the day...

The replies did help me understand that it's way too early to build something like this, at least at a mass-market price point. Maybe in a few years it'll be more possible. But I believe that a few years from now would be too late; IMHO there will barely be a market for such a thing any more. The big question is whether Nintendo can hold onto the portable gaming market, or whether the phone/tablet juggernaut is just too much to overcome.

As far as the GIFs and "lol" posts, they did not disappoint. Great job, everyone.

Ryoku

The Giant

Banned
It would fail. Nintendo created the handheld market and no company in nearly 30 years have beaten them. If Sega, Atari and Sony couldn't do it. Microsoft would have zero chance.

Novocaine

Honestly? Not interested. I'll get a Switch when I want a new handheld.

Besides they already make a portable line, Surface.

If they waited another year, I could see them pulling it off. The only huge barrier I see would be battery life. It would be amazing if they could though. If portability wasn't a factor, I don't think there would be much reason to own a Switch right now, yet they're flying off the shelves. Having a handheld with a good portion of the 360 and One library plus future titles and that shit would own.

I can maybe see microsoft releasing a gaming focused tablet to complement its existing lineup solely for content consumption and casual games like Minecraft. Expecting it to play Halo 5 or Gears 4 calibur games is going into "you're fucking joking" territory.

Interfectum

This is an awful post. You should feel bad.

Matt

Actual nonsense.

It's gonna cost a hell of a lot more than $400 and need one goddamn huge battery.

Battery tech might be here soon. New tech has batteries that last a lot longer, charge much much faster (minutes instead of hours) have more charge cycle lives, can be used in far greater temperature ranges and are far safer by using glass electrolytes instead of liquid electrolytes like they do now to transfer the lithium ions between the anode and the cathode. Some pretty interesting stuff especially since not long ago most thought something like this was impossible.

news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
An XB1 portable would be unrealistic at this point. However, I can see a portable Xbox in the future when it's possible to equal or surpass the XB1's power in a handheld. Their philosophy of UWA is very conducive to it, and I think it's probably inevitable.

I think a 360 portable, though, would also be amazing. A huge existing digital library, and no reason why development couldn't reopen.

Hero

Did we seriously not have a thread almost exactly like this a few weeks ago?

I like how people think if Microsoft (or Sony) threw enough money at something that a system could be designed that breaks the limitations on hardware that can be packed into a portable form. It doesn't work that way, jesus.

Top Bottom