• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if? The rumors were true and PS5 was weaker and more expensive?

the_master

LOL! It's not a waste. The PC can easily force the basic 3d rendering features that improve image quality and performance. There is nothing about design that's required to enable true 4k and push 60FPS. That's always a win-win.
Yeah but resolution and fps would not make a PS2 game look up to date. The game needs to be made differently, better models, more characters and props, foilage, physics, open areas, post process effects, lights and shadows, etc...
Next gen consoles always bring such advancements (so far, maybe at some point this will be completely different)

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
I think it won't be a problem initially. The PS5 will sell strong because of the hype. But if 3rd party games runs the way 3rd party games were running on the PS3 or Xbox One early, that's going to be an issue.

The Xbox One was 100$ more expensive and did not run 3rd party games as good as the PS4 and it was a huge issue. The Xbox One never really recovered.

I mean yes exclusives games matter but we won't get much in the first 2 years. 3rd party games will do the heavy lifting. So it will be a problem at some point for the PS5.

Having said that I don't expect a PS3 scenario because the price gap won't be that big ; and 3rd party won't run as bad.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yeah but resolution and fps would not make a PS2 game look up to date. The game needs to be made differently, better models, more characters and props, foilage, physics, open areas, post process effects, lights and shadows, etc...
Next gen consoles always bring such advancements (so far, maybe at some point this will be completely different)

The consoles are not the first to bring graphics tech... it's the PC (and always has been).

Metro Exodus - first ray-tracing
Control - first full ray-tracing game
Crysis - POM, destruction, environment lighting, SSR, etc..
Quake - FPS and OpenGL
DOOM - First ray-casting engine
Unreal - detailed textures

There hasn't been a single console game that was the first to bring any sort of rendering milestones you name.

Last edited:

scalman

Since power speed etc doesnt mean anything for games they amazing or bad no matter resolution or fps in them. But i guess some will just play all crap just because they will be 4k/60fps.

pawel86ck

Banned
The consoles are not the first to bring graphics tech... it's the PC (and always has been).

Quake - FPS and OpenGL

There hasn't been a single console game that was the first to bring any sort of rendering milestones you name.
In 2001 I remember reading about amazing DX8 effects on xbox classic. Later on games like Enclave, Splinter Cell, Halo were ported to PC, but they launched on consoles first.

Quake - FPS and OpenGL

Well, I've never seen the need to compare consoles to PC. I agree almost all true 1st's stem from the PC and that goes for games too and game controllers Ect (yes it true Nintendo fans)

Console's mind did offer Hardware support for Sprites, scaling/rotation, polygons before the PC. Exhumed on the humble Saturn was the 1st time I saw environment lighting/dynamic lighting used to any meaningful degree in a game. For all your talk of PC's.. Let's remember in the early 90s, compare Virtual Fighter to FX fighter, SEGA Rally/Ridge Racer to Screamer :p.

But yes with a High Eng PC you always have stuff that couldn't be done on a console, but that came at a price (and still does) . For consoles next-gen mind, it's clear has day the Series X is more powerful for graphics, with the better GPU and faster CPU.

Last edited:

FranXico

He did some tweets this past week out of nowhere saying PS5 is weaker and people went ape shit.
Interesting how you left out the part where he claimed nonsense such as that the PS5 can't even properly run a multiplatform game at 1080p60, in order to be able to misrepresent the situation.

Last edited:

the_master

Quake - FPS and OpenGL

The consoles always set the standards to the main market.
3D games became the main thing becaus of the 32 bit consoles. The SSDs will be required in many pc games thanks to the next gen consoles.
That is why consoles have been so fundamental in videogame history so far.

Without them, tech advancement would had been slower.

Not saying that this will be the future, but I would like it to. I like the magic of a console, a piece of hardware just for the games with fierce competition that pushes quality and tech to the limit

KRYPT83

Sony is the market leader if the PS5 was going to be cheaper they would boldy come out and drop a $399 price, I would almost bet anything the PS5 will be more expensive. Microsoft has too much money and are already committed to undercutting Sony and eating loses.

Sony is the market leader if the PS5 was going to be cheaper they would boldy come out and drop a $399 price, I would almost bet anything the PS5 will be more expensive. Microsoft has too much money and are already committed to undercutting Sony and eating loses.

Why do you think MS are willing to take a hit on selling XBox? They say themselves that they're not interested in going into the ring with Sony and Nintendo. Not sure if I agree with that but - if it's true and they're focusing on Gamepass - there's an argument for MS taking a hit on the XBox S (making that cheap) and then charging premium for the Xbox X. I mean, what do they care which machine you purchase if they get the same money from Gamepass for each of the machines. Plus they know that those wanting the premium Xbox X are no doubt willing to pay more for it - taking a leaf out of Apple's play book).

Saying that, Sony may be doing the same too. It's not out the question to having something like:

XBox S - $299 (take big hit)
Xbox X - $499

PS5 Digital - $399 (take big hit)
PS5 Fullfat - $499

P.S. Actual figures pulled out of my rear...

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Probably not that much because they are theoretically close, but it absolutely mattered with the Xbox One vs PS4.

It was a perfect storm right? Weak last couple of years for the 360, strong ones for the PS3. Terrible pre-launch for the Xbox 1, really good for the PS4. HW completely botched by the green team, it did nothing better than a PS4, was almost half as powerful and launched 100$ pricier? Jesus. MS overestimated their 360 success hard.

And still, the first DF comparisons between XSX and PS5 games are going to be a fucking bloodbath.

No doubt. If XSX version of a game looks a tiny bit better it will be blown up out of proportion and if PS5 version looks/runs better it will be the end of days.

Top tier PC's aficionados are a very small niche compared to console users.

If you want the absolute best specs you can buy all the time, obviously you have to go PC and buy hardware and hardware forever and ever. It works if you have a lot of money, but most people prefer consoles.

And it’s a market that by and large doesn’t buy according to GPU specs. The difference would have to be much bigger.

If it makes Xbox fans feel better and Sony fans feel worse, then they are doing it right.

I still remember the talks here months ago and how every Sony fanboy was believing the 13 teraflops PS5 rumours. Now suddenly, power doesn't matter.

It really makes you think.

In a niche forum? Sure, some people are butthurt. But it’s not getting any traction outside.

It’s bragging rights for a select few, that’s all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom