• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is GAF's consensus on Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze?

Ehh, could never get into it. I tried, I played through World 4 but gave up. The bosses were a pain and had too many phases and the soundtrack wasn't as good as Wise's previous efforts. Compared to Rayman Legends, it felt unimaginative and a bit bland but it is one of the most gorgeous platformers I have ever played.

NEO0MJ

Ehh, could never get into it. I tried, I played through World 4 but gave up. The bosses were a pain and had too many phases and the soundtrack wasn't as good as Wise's previous efforts. Compared to Rayman Legends, it felt unimaginative and a bit bland but it is one of the most gorgeous platformers I have ever played.

I felt the opposite. Legends was kind of a disappointment when compared to its predecessor.

Fantastic game. Imho the best platformer and best soundtrack on Wii U.

The announcement did get a lot of hate, but mostly because people expected a Metroid game rather than another "fucking Donkey Kong".

I don't agree at all.

Legends copied Returns most interesting level gimicks wholesale and added very little of it's own.

Presentation and music is a wash, but leveldesign wise, TF and Legends are far apart.

Devil

It is by far the best 2D platformer with a "higher" budget of recent years. Easily outclassing NSMBU and both Rayman games, especially when it comes to playability, controls and level design.

jariw

It is by far the best 2D platformer with a "higher" budget of recent years. Easily outclassing NSMBU and both Rayman games, especially when it comes to playability, controls and level design.

Not by far, since Yoshi's Woolly World exists. Those are the two best 2D platformers (at least on the Wii U), but for very different reasons.

Hermii

You are both right. It got a pretty terrible reception when it was reveal and the pre release footage wasn't well received. When it actually came out and people played it most seemed to like it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It's one of the 10 GOAT in the past decade and one of the Top 3 of the genre of all time.

It's #1 for me in both categories. I can't think of a better quality game on the WiiU
... buuuuuut Xenoblade comes out on Friday.

I've come to term with the fact that no platformer will ever make me feel like DKC1 did.

I kind of want to give a try to DKCTF, but I fear it'll be as forgettable as DKCR was.

I sincerely suggest you get it ASAP.

I haven't enjoyed a DK game since DKC1... this game is god-tier. Probably in my top 15 games ever, and my favorite platformer.

Ooccoo

I'm still pissed @ no Kremlins. The new enemy design sucks, even though Retro will tell you otherwise. Bring back King K Rool and the Kremlins!

edit: Also not a fan of heart containers. The whole challenge of DKC was with how anything could end you. Now you know you can take 2 hits before dying most of the time, which means less danger.

Schnozberry

It was brilliant. If there is any criticism of it, the levels are are but long in places, as are the boss fights. But it's a minor quibble with what is a great game. It was criminally underrepresented in best of lists.

If the Kremlings ever return it's be a missed opportunity not to have their base of operations be a big ol' Kremlin, I'd like to platform up one of those.
It may be the most prevalent typo I keep seeing in game discussion.

Oh yeah so Tropical Freeze, I heard it was a pretty neat game.

Great game. Amazing platformer. However, I think it sometimes gets a bit too much praise here on GAF as the second coming of platformers. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it (would never attempt to 100% it), but I don't think it's the be and end all.

Euron

GAF hated it right until anybody played the damn thing. Now it's seen as a terrible crime that so many critics left it off their GOTY lists last year.

Malus

First DKC game and I loved it. Phenomenal music and tons of fun. Challenge levels were especially good.

Not really the most ambitious Wii U game in terms of visuals though, especially coming from Retro.

eXistor

Great platformer but too highly praised on GAF imo. I've honestly rarely seen so much unanimous praise for a single game on GAF, but I can't help but disagree. Again, it's a great platformer and a must-play, but if GAF hype is to be believed, it's one of the greatest games ever made and it's not even close imo. I think NSMBU for instance is by far the better game (soundtrack notwithstanding).

Sawmill Thrill is my favorite minecart level in the entire Donkey Kong series, and one of my favorite levels in gaming. The pacing of the level pairs with the music by using aggressive, quick obstacles, quieting down for a slower middle segment, and then building to a loud and chaotic climax, making the level design deeply intertwined with the soundtrack in an organic, natural way. The ending stretch of the stage both manages to make me feel like I'm in complete control and flying by the seat of my pants, every time.

It utilizes the format of the automated level to its absolute peak. My only gripe with the level is that there isn't more.

Neff

Almost one of the finest 2D platformers of all time, held back by the fact that Retro's DKC bonus stages really suck compared to Rare's.

hatchx

Banned
Disapointing announcement for the studio, but one of the best platformers of the decade.

This.

And oddly enough, in retrospect (pun intended), I'm really happy they went with Tropical Freeze. It's, in my opinion, one of the top 5 platformers of all time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
One of the greatest 2D platformers ever made, if not the greatest.

peakish

Got it yesterday on the sale, enjoying it a lot two worlds in. It looks and sounds awesome and the level design got very good in the second world (as usual the first world is kind of eh, although in contrast to modern Mario games the fun didn't kick in only at world).

Not super happy with the controls, they feel a bit off. Smash and roll shouldn't be on the same bind and I don't really feel the separate binding for grabbing. The rocket level I've seen so far wasn't fun but at least more so than the ones in the first game.

Did I mention that it's fricking beautiful? It's so pretty.

It's the best game of 2014.

It's the best game on the Wii U.

It's tied with DKC2 as the best platformer ever.

It's one of the best games ever made.

Great platformer but too highly praised on GAF imo. I've honestly rarely seen so much unanimous praise for a single game on GAF, but I can't help but disagree. Again, it's a great platformer and a must-play, but if GAF hype is to be believed, it's one of the greatest games ever made and it's not even close imo. I think NSMBU for instance is by far the better game (soundtrack notwithstanding).

The Last of Us is far more unanimously praised, and far less deservedly so.

Durden77

Incredible platformer and possibly the best DKC to date. The soundtrack was to die for.

I did prefer the minecart levels in Returns though.

Top Bottom