• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is life after BloodBorne?

gelf

I feel like this after I beat any Souls game. I feel like I'm done with that kind of game for a while but at the same time find that nothing else can really engage me either so I'm in a bit of a limbo until I snap out of it.

Trying to one-up the OP, I see.

I find it quite difficult to articulate the vast appeal Berserk holds for me. It's just pure quality from top to bottom. I was first exposed to it just last year, and it has so intensely changed the way I view the world and my life since then. Literally - it is one of the cornerstones in my inner world. I consistently refer to it as a source of internal symbols and meanings.

I can analyse aspects of the story for hours. It actually increases my interest, cumulatively, and keeps me thinking "Man, this Miura guy is a storytelling, character weaving, universe crafting genius!" I can't think of many other things that have had this effect on me. It can be a great work of art, able to stand on it's own merits with awesome execution, artistry or poise, but still, I often find it pales in comparison to the power Berserk has had on me. Berserk is a whole universe in it's own right, and not just in the typical fictional sense. Everything seems to be carefully thought out, and there's a heap of subtlety. I also think a large part of it is Miura's willingness to explore various existential problems such as the meaning of struggle, overwhelming despair, and the darker aspects of humanity.

It has offered heaps of inspiration. There is this deep sense of truth that resounds throughout the story. From incredibly intimate and personal levels, to incredibly vast and metaphysical (yet metaphysical doesn't just mean arbitrary hocus pocus, one can actually extrapolate the metaphysical things for themselves, and have it make so much sense! It's logical and plausible and appeals to the patterns and such that I see in the world). It's just extremely rich, and in many ways it mirrors (and also redefined) the philosophy I've held, about existentialism/suffering, archetypes, the existence of evil (the idea of it) and how all of them are wrought from humanity.

It blows my mind when I think that this is all the work of just one man. I was never previously interested in manga, but Berserk showed to me just how masterfully it can be done, and how much can be conveyed just from a few panels. Also, the art! THE ART! I don't think I need to say anything more about the wonderful art.

Blah, this amounted to more of a "Berserk is just an effing masterpiece" than me specifically saying why. If I was a more patient person, I could write paragraphs and paragraphs trying to encapsulate the essence of Berserk's awesomeness, from the smallest of minutia, to large/overriding themes or motifs, but I don't think this would be doing anyone any favors, as I have a tendency to be long winded or verbose, and by all means, I feel the work should speak for itself. I'm so glad I discovered it for myself!

Mr Git

Life is nothing more than a cycle of waiting for the next Souls game.

Welp that's my epitaph sorted. I'm saving SOTFS for after DS3 just in case.

Go and do the chalice dungeons OP, the design isn't nearly as good but some are great fun and there's secrets and bosses to be found. Failing that there's the others to get stuck into.

sym30l1c

There are 2 months left before DS3 comes out. Maybe you should give a try to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls I and Dark Souls II?

le.phat

Don't let the "worse" visuals fool you, they have more imaginative bossdesign, better levedesign and more RPG-elements. Lore is better too.

We really don't need BB2.

Dark 1 and Demon Souls are far better and more deserving of all the hyperbole thrown at BB.

Edit: And yes to the Hades gif. It's like Bloodbornefans never played a Souls game before.

Overall BB > DeSo > DaSu in my opinion. Played them in the order of release.

Boss fights: BB > DaSo > DeSo

Level design: BB > DeSo > DaSo

Lore: DeSo > BB > DaSu

We need BB2 about as much as we need DS3, really.

E-flux

You can join the club where we all wait for a Mech souls game... I wish that those impractical hunks of junk would get some more love.
tumblr_m36eveeBLp1qcsnnso1_500.gif

You could always go back and play the earlier souls games, some people also liked Lords of fallen so you might want to give that a try if you want to see another studio try something similar to a souls game, personally i thought that the game was horribly slow and wouldn't really recommend it unless you really have nothing else to play.

Kazuhira

I envy the people who just discovered souls game,i wish i could forget them so i can experience them like the first time.
Dark souls and bloodborne are masterpieces imo,i'll never get tired of them.

Hey man, I enjoyed Berserk too, but best piece of literature? I don't even think it's the best manga.
It was influential for sure though.

Well it's the best piece of literature I've ever read - and I don't say that lightly, but of course that's obviously debatable. However, it being the best manga of all time hardly seems debatable. Berserk has no equal in manga. I'd say Vagabond would come in at a fairly distant second.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Replay it OP with different weapons. I did Threaded Cane only run on my 3rd character and it was amazing all over again. Dive into the lore with the Paleblood Hunt and then simply replay it with the new knowledge. You'll love it all over again.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member

Hah I just posted Bloodborne in that thread before seeing this one.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as OP. I have the last boss of the DLC left and then I need to go back to The Witcher 3. Dont get me wrong, I love TW3, I've played it over 90 hours, nearly twice as much as I've played Bloodborne. But the thought of going back to that combat now (even on the PC with an extra 20-30 fps) - I just don't know how I'm going to do it.

My eyes have been opened by the Great Ones, I can never unsee what has been seen.

Flipyap

It's an endless cycle of replaying Bloodborne and Demon's Souls. With a possible short excursion to Dark Souls, but too much of that game is a mess and I'd rather not have to repeat that ever again.

Loved Bloodborne, but now I'm interested in playing the other souls games. How does demons souls hold up today? Was thinking of playing this then dark souls.
As long as you just want to play through it and not obsess over getting every single hidden thing and trophy, it holds up really well.
It's the one Souls game with an easy to follow story, the kind you experience in person and aren't told through a series of post-it notes attached to random junk found scattered all over the place.

Boss fights: BB > DaSo > DeSo
Dark Souls might have more bosses and a few of them are more challenging than anything in Demon's Souls, but Demon's Souls uses bosses in smarter and more varied ways than just about any game out there. There are boss fights that tell stories and develop characters, some make you feel like the most powerful person in the world and some that make you pity the boss or question your actions. And then there's the dude wearing a funny hat made from another dude's Snuggie.

Mutombo

I for the life of me can't convince a friend to play Bloodborne, or any of the Souls games for that matter.

I'm at the point where every further talk of BB/Souls being GOAT just drives him further away.

I think a big part of his feeling comes from the hardship. He doesn't believe he will have fun getting wrecked. He likes games like Uncharted.

How to convince?

I for the life of me can't convince a friend to play Bloodborne, or any of the Souls games for that matter.

I'm at the point where every further talk of BB/Souls being GOAT just drives him further away.

I think a big part of his feeling comes from the hardship. He doesn't believe he will have fun getting wrecked. He likes games like Uncharted.

How to convince?

Its tricky

I think the mechanics have to CLICK. There are actually a LOT of tools, strategy and nuances to the combat system

Maybe have him sit and watch you play through the first section and show him just how deep the game is

Kiyo

How to convince?

You don't. These games aren't for everyone.

sublimit

Banned
You are in luck!! :)
Bloodborne NG+
Demon's Souls,Demon's Souls NG+
Dark Souls + Artorias of the Abyss,Dark Souls NG+
Dark Souls 2 SOTFS
Dark Souls 3

NotMyPsn

Banned
maybe try Witcher 3 :)

If serious
youre_serious_futurama.gif

There is truly nothing like bloodborne (besides other soul games, lol).I had a feeling similar to yours...Then rocket league came to me...
It's, in a way, the same feeling, very hard to master, satisfactory as hell, very different gender of game.

How to convince?
I only got one of my friends to play souls or bloodborne. He did played bloodborne and liked it a lot, however we did the entire game in coop aka I held his hand in a sense.

I know them feels OP, But i will say this, Dragons Dogma would be a great choice, Arguably better gameplay than the SoulsBorne games with Bitterblack isle offering a decent challenge.

Highly Recommended.

silva1991

You are in luck!! :)
Bloodborne NG+
Demon's Souls,Demon's Souls NG+
Dark Souls + Artorias of the Abyss,Dark Souls NG+
Dark Souls 2 SOTFS
Dark Souls 3

I wouldn't him to play all of those before DS3

we don't want him to be fatigued

just DS1 will be enough and Demon Souls and DS2 later whenever he feels like it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
There are Souls-like indie games coming out this year that are not from FROM SOFTWARE that look intriguing.

Unfortunately, they seem to be coming out after DS3 so that won't help right now.

That's what I'm wondering as well while I'm playing the game through for the fifth time on my NG++. I guess it's playing the game again from the start and waiting for Dark Souls 3.

That's what I'm wondering as well while I'm playing the game through for the fifth time on my NG++. I guess it's playing the game again from the start and waiting for Dark Souls 3.

Ive just been doing fresh starts with new weapons

I swear when you switch what weapon you main its like a whole new game

Threaded cane too strong!

sublimit

Banned
I know them feels OP, But i will say this, Dragons Dogma would be a great choice, Arguably better gameplay than the SoulsBorne games with Bitterblack isle offering a decent challenge.

Highly Recommended.

I wouldn't say "better" (just different) but otherwise i agree with this post.Everyone who likes deep,quality,fast and satisfying combat should check out Dragon's Dogma.

I wouldn't him to play all of those before DS3

we don't want him to be fatigued

just DS1 will be enough and Demon Souls and DS2 later whenever he feels like it.

Yeah i thought about this just as i was hitting the post button.I think DS1 would be enough for starters.it would also give him an idea about the differences between BB and DS in order to prepare him for DS3.

I hear you OP, that's how I felt after finishing it as well. It was my first real attempt in the series as well, after that I went and played Dark Souls 2 and enjoyed that then Dark Souls 1. Strange way to play them but I wanted to play the Remaster on PS4 of DS2.

The other week I finally went back and played Bloodborne again all the way through so I could do the DLC. I don't often replay modern games and had so much fun doing it with Bloodborne. My skills in the game were so rusty I was getting the same sense of accomplishment beating the game again that I got the first time.

If you have a decent PC go ahead and jump into Dark Souls with DSFix and just bide your time till April. Dark Souls 3 is on the way at least :D

Don't let the "worse" visuals fool you, they have more imaginative bossdesign

huh?

better levedesign

Nope.

and more RPG-elements.

After open-world, "RPG elements" is definitely the worst case of "feature most people seem to think makes a game inherently better, but really doesn't" nowadays. And I say this as an RPG fan.

Lore is better too.

Ha!

We really don't need BB2.

We really do.

Dark 1 and Demon Souls are far better and more deserving of all the hyperbole thrown at BB.

Edit: And yes to the Hades gif. It's like Bloodbornefans never played a Souls game before.

Keep telling yourself that.

Hypron

I'd just play something completely different for a change. After finishing the game I went and played through (and platinumed - it took me months) all the Metal Gear Solid games. It was a good change of pace and the games were mostly great.

I'm not affected by this "I played this game and now everything feels like shit in comparison", but I'd wager you're less likely to feel that way if you play something really different.

Lum1n3s

Platinum it then move on like I did to Dark Souls 2 if you haven't played that. Tbh I'm enjoying DS2 more than Bloodborne but maybe that's just me.

Gbraga

There are Souls-like indie games coming out this year that are not from FROM SOFTWARE that look intriguing.

Unfortunately, they seem to be coming out after DS3 so that won't help right now.

I'm not sure how popular that opinion is, but personally I have zero interest in these Souls-like games. I don't want to derail this thread with another Dark Souls II discussion, but if a Souls game made by From Software, just not the same direction, disappointed so many people, I don't want to touch a Souls-like game made by someone else. Never played Lords of the Fallen, and I don't think I ever will.

Salt & Sanctuary looks kinda interesting, but that's more because I like the devs than the fact that it's Souls-like. I have no interest in that rat game or the other one Vaati made a video not long ago.

We really do.

What would you suggest for Bloodborne 2, without severely limiting themselves by not reusing stuff like weapons, and without hurting the lore?

I'd LOVE a second take on trick weapons and the insight concepts, but I'm afraid there's not much room for a sequel here.

I'm also afraid Miyazaki wouldn't want to work on it, and I REALLY don't want to see someone else's take on this world. Please don't ruin Bloodborne's story, From.

I'm not affected by this "I played this game and now everything feels like shit in comparison", but I'd wager you're less likely to feel that way if you play something really different.

Yeah, me neither, but I feel like that's perhaps just people not being able to express their thoughts properly. I can enjoy any other game just fine, it's just that I don't really feel like it most of the time. When I'm playing The Witcher, I'm not thinking "this should play like Bloodborne", but I do think "I should play some Bloodborne today". It's more about not wanting to play other things than being incapable of enjoying them.

I started Firewatch yesterday, I'm loving it (aside from performance issues), but today, here I am, thinking about Souls instead of Firewatch.

dabeasty

just finished it as well,know how you feel man
i came from dark souls 1 was worried at first with no sheild but when
the gameplay of bloodborne clicked omg was it ausome just so fluid what a masterpeice
for sure

I'm not sure how popular that opinion is, but personally I have zero interest in these Souls-like games. I don't want to derail this thread with another Dark Souls II discussion, but if a Souls game made by From Software, just not the same direction, disappointed so many people, I don't want to touch a Souls-like game made by someone else. Never played Lords of the Fallen, and I don't think I ever will.

Salt & Sanctuary looks kinda interesting, but that's more because I like the devs than the fact that it's Souls-like. I have no interest in that rat game or the other one Vaati made a video not long ago.

To be fair we have VERY few souls like games to draw from which is weird

Since it seems like there was a trend of games using Souls'like (or inspired) as a catch phrase

I would actually LOVE to see more people draw from this formula

Ni-Oh might be the closest thing I can think of. We can forget Lords of the Fallen...

Salt and Sanctuary, Eitr in the indie space

It's always fun to see the divide in threads like these.

On one side, you have the bros who prefer the more extensive traditional RPG elements like character builds and such in the Souls games, and on the other, you have the bros who like the refined, fast-paced action of Bloodborne. Oddly enough, I'm a huge fan of slow, traditional turn-based RPGs, yet when it comes to soulsborne, I fall into the latter camp. Customization is nice in Dark Souls, but the combat in Bloodborne just feels so goddamn good. Amazing games all around, though, obviously.

sublimit

Banned
It's always fun to see the divide in threads like these.

On one side, you have the bros who prefer the more extensive traditional RPG elements like character builds and such in the Souls games, and on the other, you have the bros who like the refined, fast-paced action of Bloodborne. Oddly enough, I'm a huge fan of slow, traditional turn-based RPGs, yet when it comes to soulsborne, I fall into the latter camp. Customization is nice in Dark Souls, but the combat in Bloodborne just feels so goddamn good. Amazing games all around, though, obviously.

Eh there's also a third side (who i believe is the biggest one) that likes and enjoys both playstyles.

Gbraga

To be fair we have VERY few souls like games to draw from which is weird

Since it seems like there was a trend of games using Souls'like (or inspired) as a catch phrase

I would actually LOVE to see more people draw from this formula

Ni-Oh might be the closest thing I can think of. We can forget Lords of the Fallen...

Salt and Sanctuary, Eitr in the indie space

Yes, Eitr was the name of the game. It looked so bad to me. And I don't mean visually, the game looks amazing, but it also looks kind of boring.

You're right about the catch phrase, though, there was a time when everything on Kickstarter was a "Souls inspired metroidvania". Most of them had nothing to do with Castlevania or Souls.

You're right about Ni-Oh, I'm definitely interested in it, but I also feel like the fact that I didn't think about it when talking about Souls-like games says a lot about the reason I'm excited. It doesn't look like a worse version of a Souls game, it seems to be different enough. It actually reminds me of Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha as much as it reminds me of Souls, which is fantastic.

It may also have to do with the fact that I'm still not tired of the Souls games that are already out. Why would I spend more money on a not as good Souls-like game if I can pay for no additional money Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II and Bloodborne? I'm sure I'd enjoy my ??th playthrough of any of them more than my first of any Souls-like game, too.

just finished it as well,know how you feel man
i came from dark souls 1 was worried at first with no sheild but when
the gameplay of bloodborne clicked omg was it ausome just so fluid what a masterpeice
for sure

Now you need to play more! Get the other endings! Do the awfully boring chalice dungeons (for the great bosses)!

Eh there's also a third side (who i believe is the biggest one) that likes and enjoys both playstyles.

Preach it! I can go back and forth just fine, love both styles, and I love the fact that every entry has gameplay elements unique to them, I'm glad From doesn't listen people on one of the extreme sides that say they can't play any Souls game but their favorite.

You wait until From's new game, a collaboration between Miura and Miyazaki, is announced.

A collaboration between Miura and Miyazaki would probably be an idol game.

I'm ok with this.

I also want a Nihei X Miyazaki collaboration, that would be the perfect Sci-fi Souls people keep asking them to make.

Top Bottom