• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is life after BloodBorne?

lol the end of your
Laurence
fight

zle0gYA.gif

Maedre

Banned
When i think about it, this insight system is the worst part of bloodborne. I totally despise it. I loved the coop part in DeS, DS and DS2 so mucht, but Bloodborne was such a setback.

Its a very good game, but imho far behind the masterpeace that Dark Souls is.

Huggers

Play Demons. Head to Tower of Latria. Be immersed again. That game blew my mind. Bloodborne is hard to top but Demons is really incredible.

What are the odds of a remaster you think?

Gbraga

When i think about it, this insight system is the worst part of bloodborne. I totally despise it. I loved the coop part in DeS, DS and DS2 so mucht, but Bloodborne was such a setback.

Its a very good game, but imho far behind the masterpeace that Dark Souls is.

I really like it conceptually, just wish they did more with it. I love using it as currency, I love how it's related to the lore, I love the (very few) changes to the game. Wish it changed more, and maybe raised your item discovery? The negative status effects make complete sense for the lore, but there should be some advantage to having more insight on you, however minimal, for gameplay purposes. Item discovery could be just that.

Finished my first playthrough with 99 insight just to make sure I wouldn't miss on anything for not having enough.

Play the superior Souls-games.

So you're saying "play maybe Dark Souls 1, ignore the others"? :p

schlynch

Play the superior Kings Field games.

I have, at least what was available in the west. Great at their times, but they're not easy to get into these days. And not quite the same as the game that the OP is talking about.

I seriously dont understand how people dont love every entry in the series at this point

Enough with the internal civil war guys

BB is my GOTY, I was just pointing out that there are more great games out there in the very same style.

Maedre

Banned
I really like it conceptually, just wish they did more with it. I love using it as currency, I love how it's related to the lore, I love the (very few) changes to the game. Wish it changed more, and maybe raised your item discovery? The negative status effects make complete sense for the lore, but there should be some advantage to having more insight on you, however minimal, for gameplay purposes. Item discovery could be just that.

Finished my first playthrough with 99 insight just to make sure I wouldn't miss on anything for not having enough.

There were changes to the game? Maybee its me, but i really loved the annonymus Coop system of the Souls games. You are on the 100th try on Ornstein? No Problem there will be someone to help you. You just want someone on you side for the sake of Coop? No problem. In DS 2 it was very easy to play with friends. But my First memory of this in bloodborne was a big big big disapointment. The Bell rang and nothing happend. and again and again and again, oh and everytime i lost an insight.
I could rage about this mechanic all day long. And it wasn't even about the difficulty. I think DeS and DS are still harder. But the insight system and monotony of gamplaystyles made me putt the game aside with no real itch to start over.

But you guys are right. There should be no civil war between us. All Hail From Software.

There were changes to the game? Maybee its me, but i really loved the annonymus Coop system of the Souls games. You are on the 100th try on Ornstein? No Problem there will be someone to help you. You just want someone on you side for the sake of Coop? No problem. In DS 2 it was very easy to play with friends. But my First memory of this in bloodborne was a big big big disapointment. The Bell rang and nothing happend. and again and again and again, oh and everytime i lost an insight.
I could rage about this mechanic all day long. And it wasn't even about the difficulty. I think DeS and DS are still harder. But the insight system and monotony of gamplaystyles made me putt the game aside with no real itch to start over.

Thankfully BB has received many really great patches that fixed most of this

The online is still pretty.... Slow to connect people sometimes but its more reliable now

Dark Souls 2 continues to be the most reliable and convenient online title they have ever made

I hope they give the same treatment to Dark Souls 3

Mister Wolf

Play scholar of the first sin. It's dlc combined with 60fps, and the most reliable coop/pvp in all the souls games make it the best souls console experience to date.

OP, if you're able to find a life after Bloodborne, let me know. I've played plenty of games since completing BB and the only thing that came close to it was The Old Hunters!

Maedre

Banned
Thankfully BB has received many really great patches that fixed most of this

The online is still pretty.... Slow to connect people sometimes but its more reliable now

Dark Souls 2 continues to be the most reliable and convenient online title they have ever made

I hope they give the same treatment to Dark Souls 3

Slow i an euphemism in this regard...

Slow i an euphemism in this regard...

Well its more specific

If you are using passwords with friends, now that the level cap is removed, you can connect pretty fast as long as you are standing in roughly the same place

BB can be very picky and finicky in this regard

Ive noticed that invasions dont appear to be hindered at all though lol

Maedre

Banned
Well its more specific

If you are using passwords with friends, now that the level cap is removed, you can connect pretty fast as long as you are standing in roughly the same place

BB can be very picky and finicky in this regard

Ive noticed that invasions dont appear to be hindered at all though lol

Oh, ok the password with friends thingy was unknown to me. Maybee i should try a new run soon.

E-flux

Dark Souls 1 does by a freakin huge margin. Half the world of Bloodborne is only to be reached by teleporting one way or another.

Aren't the nightmare worlds only places where you need to teleport in bloodborne?

It's been quite some time since i played Dark souls but didn't it have required teleports too? From sens to anor londo, that is a glorified teleport, asylum, Oolacile, and that painting world.

Gbraga

But you guys are right. There should be no civil war between us. All Hail From Software.

That's more of a problem with the matchmaking, though, which was indeed garbage for quite a while, it's much better now, but it was a nightmare at launch.

I don't really summon at all, so that didn't affect me personally, but yeah, I can see how that would be really annoying.

My thoughts exactly :p

op is obviously looking for PVE experience and Bloodborne has vastly better PVE than Demon Souls and DS2 combined imo.

Word.

I still can't decide on my favorite between Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but the others are not quite on their level, imo.

Melchiah

Dark Souls 1 does by a freakin huge margin. Half the world of Bloodborne is only to be reached by teleporting one way or another.

Aren't the nightmare worlds only places where you need to teleport in bloodborne?

It's been quite some time since i played Dark souls but didn't it have required teleports too? From sens to anor londo, that is a glorified teleport, asylum, Oolacile, and that painting world.

Those, and Cainhurst. They definitely aren't half of the game.

Im addicted to Chalice dungeons

Its like my own personal Souls Rogue Like experience

I do like one a day

At least for now until I run out and beat everything

E-flux

How could i forget Cainhurst!? That place brought back some castlevania memories. I think people feel like Bloodborne isn't as cohesive as Dark souls just because of the main hub area.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I would say you should definitely play the original souls games but they definitely have less consistent level design, worse weapons and poorer combat.

That is not to say they are not amazing but yeah swing a weapon in bloodborne and compare that weapon feedback to any weapon in souls games and it just feels inferior in souls. But as long as your expectations are measured you will love souls games after BB. DS3 seems to be taking the best of both worlds so here is hoping

Gbraga

He's sad because it's true.

Im addicted to Chalice dungeons

Its like my own personal Souls Rogue Like experience

I do like one a day

At least for now until I run out and beat everything

So you're now like the second person I know that enjoys them! First being Redgrave!

Congratulations, you're weird!

swing a weapon in bloodborne and compare that weapon feedback to any weapon in souls games and it just feels inferior in souls.

Eh, I disagree. There's nothing quite like swinging a Zweihander two handed in Dark Souls 1. That animation is so powerful, you can feel the impact. I love it.

Also disagree about poorer combat, but that's obviously just preference. I like both types of combat equally.

Maedre

Banned
I would say you should definitely play the original souls games but they definitely have less consistent level design, worse weapons and poorer combat.

[...]

less consistent level Design in DS1? Worse Weapons and poorer combat? I beg to differ.

Espacially Weapons and Combat are different, but i wouldn't say better.

Nev

Banned
Don't listen to those who say the chalice dungeons are not worth it or even "garbage". They are actually handcrafted by From (all of them except the root chalices, that are randomly generated), fact that proves that the haters haven't even played them, and even if they're obviously not at the same level at the main places, they're are very enjoyable and have some exclusive bosses. Getting the chalice trophy was very fun for me and even root chalices are enjoyable if you like the game because they're a perfect way of using all of the weapons, co-oping and just a decent roguelike Souls experience.

Get the platinum.

Gbraga

less consistent level Design in DS1? Worse Weapons and poorer combat? I beg to differ.

Less consistent makes sense. Bloodborne never reaches the lows of Lost Izalith. It's definitely consistent.

Don't listen to those who say the chalice dungeons are not worth it or even "garbage". They are actually handcrafted by From (all of them except the root chalices, that are randomly generated) and even if they're obviously not at the same level at the main places, they're are very enjoyable and have some exclusive bosses. Getting the chalice trophy was very fun for me and even root chalices are enjoyable if you like the game because they're a perfect way of using all of the weapons, co-oping and just a decent roguelike Souls experience.

Get the platinum.

The bosses were definitely enjoyable. I'd highly recommend people to do them along with the main game, though, so the first few can be somewhat challenging. Go to the first one as soon as you get the chalice, instead of waiting until NG+.

Melchiah

How could i forget Cainhurst!? That place brought back some castlevania memories. I think people feel like Bloodborne isn't as cohesive as Dark souls just because of the main hub area.

Cainhurst wasn't actually one of my favorite areas, although the inner sections looked great. I like the gothic look more, and my favorite areas, Central Yharnam and Cathedral Ward, were more branching.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

I would say so. Post O and S it falls off in my opinion. I also feel melee is worse. Melee is heavenly in BB. The rythimic dance with hunters in hunter fights, the depth in the weapons, the weapon feedback crucially.The only area dark is better is mage builds but I never cared about mage builds. For me the souls games are most thrilling when you are in the enemy's face and fighting. Spamming magic from afar never did it for me.

Hektor

The two nightmares, the two visits to the lecture building, castle cainhurst, the hunters dream and the first visit to Yahar'gul.

And if one wants to be pedantic one could also mention the chalice dungeons, but to be fair, it wouldn't really be possible to implement them in a different way, so i don't count those.

Oolcaile doesn't really count because it was DLC content, that leaves the asylum, the painted world, duke's archives and Anor Londo.

That means bloodborne got two times as much teleports as DS1 did.

Maedre

Banned
I would say so. Post O and S it falls off in my opinion. I also feel melee is worse. Melee is heavenly in BB. The rythimic dance with hunters in hunter fights, the depth in the weapons, the weapon feedback crucially.The only area dark is better is mage builds but I never cared about mage builds. For me the souls games are most thrilling when you are in the enemy's face and fighting. Spamming magic from agar never did it for me.

I am melee only too, but i want to have the choice. I hope DS3 uses the knowlege gained in Bloodborne to perfect the Souls Mechanic. The first Vids are very promising. The Dance of the Frigid vally fight looks so cool.

J-Skee

All I do now is co-op with friends. They can't get through by themselves, so I lend a helping hand. Otherwise, they wouldn't touch it.

Also, fun fact: I was helping a friend over Share Play, got to the Cleric Beast & got his health so low that a Pebble finished him off. A fucking pebble. I told him to save the video, but he said "hell no, you asshole". Such is life.

Melchiah

The two nightmares, the two visits to the lecture building, castle cainhurst, the hunters dream and the first visit to Yahar'gul.

And if one wants to be pedantic one could also mention the chalice dungeons, but to be fair, it wouldn't really be possible to implement them in a different way, so i don't count those.

If you look at the map, and compare the areas, it's obvious those aren't even close to half of the world. Why count teleporting times, instead of the size of the areas?

Yahar'gul can be travelled by foot later on, and Hunter's Dream is the smallest area in the game.

le.phat

It's an endless cycle of replaying Bloodborne and Demon's Souls. With a possible short excursion to Dark Souls, but too much of that game is a mess and I'd rather not have to repeat that ever again.

As long as you just want to play through it and not obsess over getting every single hidden thing and trophy, it holds up really well.
It's the one Souls game with an easy to follow story, the kind you experience in person and aren't told through a series of post-it notes attached to random junk found scattered all over the place.

Dark Souls might have more bosses and a few of them are more challenging than anything in Demon's Souls, but Demon's Souls uses bosses in smarter and more varied ways than just about any game out there. There are boss fights that tell stories and develop characters, some make you feel like the most powerful person in the world and some that make you pity the boss or question your actions. And then there's the dude wearing a funny hat made from another dude's Snuggie.

i guess you're right. The bosses are alot more gimmicky, so less fun on a revisit, so that's why i'm a little less excited when going over the DeSo bosses in my head. Good points :)

E-flux

Oolcaile doesn't really count because it was DLC content, that leaves the asylum, the painted world, duke's archives and Anor Londo.

That means bloodborne got two times as much teleports as DS1 did.

Yeah, it wouldn't be fair to count that dlc area if you didn't count the bloodborne dlc too. We can start splitting hairs and count the first visit to Nito as one and the place where you put the lord vessel too.

It would have been so bad ass if the chalice dungeons would have had an entrance in the Yharnam, when i first heard about those i figured that there would be entrance somewhere near the hub that had a lever which opened the door and during that animation it would have generated the dungeon.

He's sad because it's true.

So you're now like the second person I know that enjoys them! First being Redgrave!

Congratulations, you're weird!

Eh, I disagree. There's nothing quite like swinging a Zweihander two handed in Dark Souls 1. That animation is so powerful, you can feel the impact. I love it.

Also disagree about poorer combat, but that's obviously just preference. I like both types of combat equally.

LOL I suppose so

I just find the combat so good that I can casually play the dungeons for fun. Doesnt hurt that Im finding treasure and fighting all sorts of randomized enemies in the process.

Though Im pretty maxed out now so I just do it for the challenge and the bosses now. Dont mind snagging gems and upgrade materials

I find BB such a great game for replayability

I wouldnt mind them updating the gem system a bit to make for more viable combinations

Also have certain types drop more often and earlier

I feel like the vast majority of Gems just dont get used in builds

I always wondered why we haven't gotten a current gen remaster of Dark Souls 1. I mean, we got Dark Souls 2 on current gen. How hard could it be?

Top Bottom