• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best RTS of all time?

What is the best RTS game/series of all time?

• Age of Empires II (+Definitive Edition)

Votes: 25 9.1%
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert series

Votes: 43 15.7%
  • Command & Conquer Tiberian series

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (+The Frozen Throne)

Votes: 29 10.6%
  • Company of Heroes

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Totan Annihilation

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • Supreme Commander

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Total War series

• Homeworld

• Starcraft (+Broodwar)

Votes: 58 21.2%
  • Starcraft II (WoL+HotS+LotV)

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • Age of Mythology

• Rise of Nations

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Commandos

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • World in Conflict

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Halo Wars series

• Age of Empires III (+Definitive Edition)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth series

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Dune II

• Spellforce III

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stronghold series

• Myth series

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation

• Planetary Annihilation

• Total voters

Fbh

Dawn of War III is totally hectic

3.colossal_battles.jpg

3.colossal_battles__2_.jpg

5.destructive_abilities.jpg

That looks great!
Will definitely check it out
Thx.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Dawn of War III is totally hectic

3.colossal_battles.jpg

3.colossal_battles__2_.jpg

5.destructive_abilities.jpg

And yet, such awful reviews that whenever i see it, no matter the cost, i can't convince myself to play it ahead of any of the other games I've got going

the awful reviews are spot on though.

dow3 is bad, and i think the gifs are pre-render using ingame engine.

play coh2 if you want something similar but tons better. the game is still being tweak today.

neogaf used to play coh1 together in the old days

Griffon

People who voted starcraft 1 have a serious case of rose tainted nostalgia glasses.
The unit AI is dogshit and the single player mission are very basic and not that interesting to play.
Starcraft 2 is practically better in every way.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Company of Heroes. This game required thought patience and planning in order to win the objectives. I think this game had perfect balance and one of the best settings.

others that are great: Warcraft 3, homeworld, Starcraft, and more.

BlackTron

People who voted starcraft 1 have a serious case of rose tainted nostalgia glasses.
The unit AI is dogshit and the single player mission are very basic and not that interesting to play.
Starcraft 2 is practically better in every way.

I actually agree that the mission design in SC2 tends to be more engaging, but meanwhile the story is horrible. In SC1, I liked the story so much it motivated me through all the sometimes dragging gameplay. SC2 took a dump on all my favorite characters, to me it was worse than Phantom Menance. I've only completed Wings of Liberty despite SC/BW being one of my favorite games of all time.

But BW's multiplayer was unbeatable, the many LAN parties we had playing FFA's and all the UMS games like Zone Control and Evolves were priceless. I knew as soon as it was announced that SC2 wouldn't have a LAN mode that they failed at my second most anticipated game of all time (the first was Twilight Princess, which was also bad).

I think SC2 is a nice shiny polished modern take on SC that's easier to play, and doesn't totally ruin the series, but in my opinion it lacks the charm that made the first one timeless. An example that comes to mind is the original Lion King vs. the new realistic one.

Unity2012

Probably in the minority here but Dawn of War brought me so much joy to play... and still does.

"Yes most beneficent one?"
"For the Emperor!"

C&C would be my next favorite; and Age of Empires II Aand III the charming ones.

BigBooper

Red Alert 2 for best RTS.

Best sound is a three way tie because I couldn't decide WH40KDOW2, AOE2, and Red Alert 2. RA2 has Tanya shaking her tits, Yuri's psycho taunts and the best music of all. Warhammer has the orcs and the Eldar, which are voiced excellently. AOE2 has sheep.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

And yet, such awful reviews that whenever i see it, no matter the cost, i can't convince myself to play it ahead of any of the other games I've got going
The reviews are negative because when the game launched it did two things, one very wrong and one not really wrong.

The one wrong thing it did is that it had in-game unlock system for special units and abilities, effectively making your army objectively worse if you didn't play a fuck ton of games leaving you at a massive disadvantage against people who play more. Luckily this is no longer the case and the whole system has been scrapped and now you got access to all units from the start.

The other thing is that it tried to not be so hero focused like Dawn of War 2 which was basically a mini MOBA with its very limited unit count and huge focus on heroes, leveling them, buying them items and focusing on their abilities. They toned that down a lot so now heroes don't level or get gear and are pretty much like they were in Dawn of War 1 only much stronger and more impressive overal.

The weakest point of Dawn of War 3 imo is the music, which is just incredibly unremarkable. Another letdown is how the campaign constantly shifts from one race to another where every mission feels like a tutorial reminding you almost everything in case you forgot it from two levels before (you are constantly going human-ork-eldar until the end). The story itself is quite decent and lady Solaria is one of the better characters in Dawn of War but the constant switching is annoying as hell and makes the campaign feel incredibly disjointed. The missions themselves are pretty decent actually and the writing is quite funny especially for the Orks.

I would suggest reading through this page, it gives you perspective from both sides of the aisle.

Last edited:

Tschumi

The reviews are negative because when the game launched it did two things, one very wrong and one not really wrong.

The one wrong thing it did is that it had in-game unlock system for special units and abilities, effectively making your army objectively worse if you didn't play a fuck ton of games leaving you at a massive disadvantage against people who play more. Luckily this is no longer the case and the whole system has been scrapped and now you got access to all units from the start.

The other thing is that it tried to not be so hero focused like Dawn of War 2 which was basically a mini MOBA with its very limited unit count and huge focus on heroes, leveling them, buying them items and focusing on their abilities. They toned that down a lot so now heroes don't level or get gear and are pretty much like they were in Dawn of War 1 only much stronger and more impressive overal.

The weakest point of Dawn of War 3 imo is the music, which is just incredibly unremarkable. Another letdown is how the campaign constantly shifts from one race to another where every mission feels like a tutorial reminding you almost everything in case you forgot it from two levels before (you are constantly going human-ork-eldar until the end). The story itself is quite decent and lady Solaria is one of the better characters in Dawn of War but the constant switching is annoying as hell and makes the campaign feel incredibly disjointed. The missions themselves are pretty decent actually and the writing is quite funny especially for the Orks.

I would suggest reading through this page, it gives you perspective from both sides of the aisle.
10 points brother :)

Fuuu my "will i won't i" goes on, but you have definitely tilted it

DelireMan7

I have played a lot in PvP (1v1 and 2v2) Warcraft 3 TFT and Starcraft 2 WoL/HoS.
I tried offline Age of empires 2, C&C.

So my experience is pretty limited.
Still my vote goes for Warcraft 3. I love the heroes system and the heavy micromanagement needed for the game.
Starcraft 2 was nice but much more oriented on macromanagement and economy. Still the uniqueness of the races is a nice feature. I loved the Zerg larva system.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Probably in the minority here but Dawn of War brought me so much joy to play... and still does.

"Yes most beneficent one?"
"For the Emperor!"

C&C would be my next favorite; and Age of Empires II Aand III the charming ones.
I'll raise you red alert
"Manouvers in progress"
"Ve vill bury them"
"Riding high, steady glow"
"ssShake it baby!"

But yeah, love DoW

Bragr

Banned
You are missing Sins of a Solar Empire & Star Wars: Empire at War in terms of the big ones. Maybe even Grey Goo and Empires of the Undergrowth, although those obviously can't stand up to this list.

Historically, I think the original StarCraft gotta be the best, it had 3 fantastic meaningful and deep factions, with a good campaign and a legendary multiplayer suite. It also was just better balanced and structured than any other RTS for ages.

In terms of what plays the best now, StarCraft II is the top, with Company of Heroes 2 right behind IMO. Supreme Commander still plays well, as do Sins of a Solar Empire. Total War obviously got many entries that still hold up, but Total War is not a pure RTS so I'm usually not putting it into this category.

Tschumi

Total War: Warhammer Mortal Empires. Nothing even comes close to the scope or faction variety. It has become one of my favorite games.
Definitely a fantastic game, but not really an RTS.. you can play mortal empires in Warhammer 2 and get the additional lands and factions.. even bigger scope and variety <3

Definitely a fantastic game, but not really an RTS.. you can play mortal empires in Warhammer 2 and get the additional lands and factions.. even bigger scope and variety <3

Fair point. It was in the poll so I had to give it a shoutout. Can't wait until WH3 releases...need Chaos Dwarfs bad.

Hudo

Goddamn, son. That's hard to say...

My heart says Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun.
My brain says Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.
My boner says WarCraft III (the original, not the piece of shit that is the remake).
My soul says Homeworld Remastered.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Goddamn, son. That's hard to say...

My heart says Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun.
My brain says Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.
My boner says WarCraft III (the original, not the piece of shit that is the remake).
My soul says Homeworld Remastered.
But what does your pointer finger say?

Since this thread is all about RTS; does anyone remember one from... the early 2000's I think, where a bunch of scientists travelled to an alternate prehistoric world? The three factions were the "good guys" with herbivorous dinosaurs, "bad guys" (nomads with a generic Orient theme) with carnivorous ones, and a third faction (Nords-like iirc) with prehistoric mammals like mammoths etc.
It was pretty shit but the setting was fun.

Since this thread is all about RTS; does anyone remember one from... the early 2000's I think, where a bunch of scientists travelled to an alternate prehistoric world? The three factions were the "good guys" with herbivorous dinosaurs, "bad guys" (nomads with a generic Orient theme) with carnivorous ones, and a third faction (Nords-like iirc) with prehistoric mammals like mammoths etc.
It was pretty shit but the setting was fun.

Paraworld

Mozzarella

1. Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne: One of the best and most influential expansion, the game as a whole is very fun. Also this game created the whole MOBA sub-genre of Dota and League of Legends, the lore of those games is based on Warcraft. The DLC/Expansion is my 2nd favorite expansion of all time.
2. Starcraft + Broodwar: As an RTS without factoring influence and legacy this one takes the cake, its also the face of RTS Esports scene, incredibly deep game.
3. Age of Empires 2: This 3rd spot was between AoE and Red Alert but i decided to go with AoE as it was one of the main reasons i was interested in History during high school, it made me want to learn more about empires and cultures. The game also was fun to play. I like the third one too but the second is the best of them all and the expansion was sick too.

Great genre, but its dead now. MOBA is the simplified version and its very popular. League of Legends/Dota 2 are its evolution! or should i say devolution? because the old RTS games are more deep and way better but the competitive scene is so hard that a new player cant dream of joining. Its by far the hardest competitive scene, so they made it to MOBA and now its the most popular competitive Esport ever. LOL world championship constantly breaks records in views and budget.

RTS is the chess of video games.

1. Warcraft 3 + The Frozen Throne: One of the best and most influential expansion, the game as a whole is very fun. Also this game created the whole MOBA sub-genre of Dota and League of Legends, the lore of those games is based on Warcraft. The DLC/Expansion is my 2nd favorite expansion of all time.
The "MOBA" genre began as a Starcraft UMS custom game called Aeon of Strife.

The lore of DOTA is not based on Warcraft. Many DOTA heroes were initially based on various sources ranging from Leoric from Diablo to Lina Inverse from Slayers. The lore of DOTA 2 is entirely new, however.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I wouldn't even put Halo Wars in there, its good, but not exactly the greatest of all time...empire at war is better

Top Bottom