• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with TwitchCon, why is it so cringe

SJRB

Gold Member
Twitchcon is this weekend and man these livestreams are just unbearable. Absolute S-tier levels of cringe no matter when you tune in. They're just doing goofy games and awkward interviews and it's all so fucking bad.

I like Twitch as an entertainment platform and I watch a TON of Twitch but Jesus, why is everything and everyone so cringe when it's IRL?

I swear to god 90% of Twitch streamers and viewers are actually socially awkward recluses, every interaction is just so fucking weird.

Anyway, tune in next week for my expert opinion on Warhammer 40k and why Sanguinius is a gigachad.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
dude have you not checked your thesaurus recently?

Synonyms & Antonyms of cringe

to draw back in fear, pain, or disgust
  • gruesome crime scene photos that made several jurors cringe

Synonyms for cringe
Words Related to cringe
Near Antonyms for cringe

Last edited:

Urban

atleast its not a Dash Con

jennifer lawrence salute GIF

Cringe just a catch all for something someone doesn’t like at this point. It’s a con centered around popular creators. If it’s not for you it’s not for you but a lot of people are fans of these content creators and get to see them. I just left Comic-Con and saw people standing online for D tier celebs so there’s an audience.

Fuz

Banned
Cringe just a catch all for something someone doesn’t like at this point. It’s a con centered around popular creators. If it’s not for you it’s not for you but a lot of people are fans of these content creators and get to see them. I just left Comic-Con and saw people standing online for D tier celebs so there’s an audience.
You got a list of names? We need to sterilize those people.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Twitch con is beyond lame. 99% of the streamers even say they hate doing them except the drinking/partying with friends who are also same size streamers.

At this point all that happens at Sodapoppins house so twitchcon is worthless. Always has been.

Why you would want to meet a creepy fuck like xqc or hasan or ludwig etc is beyond me. Parasocial people are weird.

That said I’d love a photo with a game caster for e sports I watch since I appreciate the skills to make games more entertaining and followable.

clem84

Gold Member
I mostly agree. Every stream I've watched in the past two days is just mind numbingly boring and I can barely stand to watch for more than a minute or two.

I guess the draw for the people attending is they get to meet their favorite streamers? But for folks at home, zzzzzz...

Lasha

Cringe is a verb. That you lean so heavily into using it as an adjective places you firmly in the 90% of awkward twitch viewers you despise. Twitch culture will always be embarrassing in real life. How else would watching a stranger play games while you spam emotes in chat translate?

RavageX

Do any of these big twitch streamers even play games any more? Are they even relevant to gaming discussion?
A lot of people used to consider games a waste of time. What do you consider watching ppl play games that you can play yourself?

I understand if you need to see gameplay before buying or a review, or even if they are really good at a game you find difficult but watching someone play while they run their mouth randomly? The **** is that?

Twitchcon is this weekend and man these livestreams are just unbearable. Absolute S-tier levels of cringe no matter when you tune in. They're just doing goofy games and awkward interviews and it's all so fucking bad.

I like Twitch as an entertainment platform and I watch a TON of Twitch but Jesus, why is everything and everyone so cringe when it's IRL?

I swear to god 90% of Twitch streamers and viewers are actually socially awkward recluses, every interaction is just so fucking weird.

Anyway, tune in next week for my expert opinion on Warhammer 40k and why Sanguinius is a gigachad.
All and all, people on that side of the screen don't do anything extraordinary for 12 hours every single day, when you have this kind of energy IRL you get exactly what you would expect.

baphomet

I've been to one of these Twitch parties in downtown LA before. They had an open bar for Twitch partners with some stupid little wristband on, so I just quickly flashed my wristband from the PS showcase from earlier in the day all night and drank for free.

It was hilariously lame.

Wildebeest

A lot of people used to consider games a waste of time. What do you consider watching ppl play games that you can play yourself?

I understand if you need to see gameplay before buying or a review, or even if they are really good at a game you find difficult but watching someone play while they run their mouth randomly? The **** is that?
I suppose it depends on what sort of game you watch. If you watch people play a brand-new story, puzzle or exploration game you haven't played yourself then you are just spoiling the game for yourself, so a professional narcissist can feed off the hype, but for skill based games it is rewarding to watch how good people experience the game. Mainly, though, it is a community thing like playing games with friends on the couch and talking shit.

T-Cake

Why anyone over the age of 18 would want to watch a twitch livestream is beyond me

Numerous reasons. I'm twice that age and I really enjoy watching the IRL travel streams. There are some really decent people out there like Hitch+Sarah who just did a tandem bike ride from France to Norway, BikeCurious who rides about in San Francisco showing the sights and sounds and RelicKris who takes us a lot of places in Europe from Sweden to Corfu. As an armchair traveller, it's way better than any TV travel documentary as you are seeing all the sights and sounds in realtime.

And then I also watch a few Spanish streams to improve my language skills. I could sit and watch TVE all day or I can tune in to a native Spaniard's stream and see their country and language unedited.

Last edited:
have you seen some of the most popular streams on there? a girl shows some skin and you have simps drooling at her. i think that says a lot about the majority of the people who watch Twitch and would be likely to turn up to an event.

Winter John

Gold Member
I kept hearing about this chick on there called Amouranth so while I was sitting in traffic I thought I'd go check out the tits. I found her channel and yeah, the tits looked good. The actual stream though was like something out of of Black Mirror. She was stuck in some shitty mini van surrounded by a bunch of pod people. All of them were either staring at their phones, posing for their phones, or pointing them at each other. I found out those morons were the Twitch elite. The cream of the crop. Tits actually looked seriously depressed. I guess it hit her that Twitch fame don't amount to much.

Soodanim

Things I've used Twitch for:
  1. Speed run attempts (showcase of skill)
  2. Gameplay footage of new games (research)
  3. Twitch Prime (a means to an end)
The rest of it, from thots to creepy animal cosplayers and everything in between, is a world that is completely alien to me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Twitch, Snapchat, TikTok and now Instagram are great platforms of cringe nothingness. What did you expect? Glad YouTube is still intact but not sure for how long.

Pelta88

Because people are not using their normal voice, instead they're using that elevated twitch voice. All while bobbing/moving their heads to different angles 4 times per sentence.

Last edited:

I want this video to be preserved in a holographic format and buried or tossed into the oceans. After we nuke each other out and go extinct after WWIII, I want the aliens who come here to look for resources or to terraform, to have a look at this masterpiece, and think this how intelligent life they were searching for past their event horizon is.

Aliens:

c13a2b2e10855bffdc014f121c5eff7e.jpg

Wish I could see their reactions though. LMFAOOOOO :pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

Bragr

Banned
Why you would want to meet a creepy fuck like xqc or hasan or ludwig etc is beyond me. Parasocial people are weird.

That said I’d love a photo with a game caster for e sports I watch since I appreciate the skills to make games more entertaining and followable.
Man, those screaming nerd eSport casters are worse than Twitch streamers.

the problem with this years twitchcon is that there is a new streamer chick that is insanely hot and taking all of the focus on herself we're talking a 13 out of 10 level broad here and people just cannot get enough of her and hang on every word she says

her name is keffals if you want to look her up

Top Bottom