• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with TwitchCon, why is it so cringe

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
the problem with this years twitchcon is that there is a new streamer chick that is insanely hot and taking all of the focus on herself we're talking a 13 out of 10 level broad here and people just cannot get enough of her and hang on every word she says

her name is keffals if you want to look her up
Or you could do God's work and post some pics for us...

Bragr

Banned
Do any of these big twitch streamers even play games any more?
Livestream fails, Twitter and Youtube. That's the name of the game. An ecosystem for react content.

What's frustrating is not the streamers being so absurd, but the audience not caring that it's disingenuous and a lot of it made up. People just wanna see people wave their arms and shout at other people.

SJRB

Gold Member
the problem with this years twitchcon is that there is a new streamer chick that is insanely hot and taking all of the focus on herself we're talking a 13 out of 10 level broad here and people just cannot get enough of her and hang on every word she says

iu

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Fek7ojtaUAA7y7J

comedy central wtf GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

Define "hot" (and no, you are not a funny person for doing this)

Last edited:

small_law

Hollywood still really hasn't wrapped its head around the live streaming concept. That or they're just isn't enough money in it right now for them to bother.

Once Hollywood enters the market for real, all the hairy little weirdos with a million subs and zero talent will go extinct overnight. So will their networks. Everyone on Twitch is playing AAA ball. None of them can compete in the majors.

You think pretty girls get eyeballs, wait until all the really beautiful people show up en masse. The entertainment industry does not like competition.

Wildebeest

Hollywood still really hasn't wrapped its head around the live streaming concept. That or they're just isn't enough money in it right now for them to bother.

Once Hollywood enters the market for real, all the hairy little weirdos with a million subs and zero talent will go extinct overnight. So will their networks. Everyone on Twitch is playing AAA ball. None of them can compete in the majors.

You think pretty girls get eyeballs, wait until all the really beautiful people show up en masse. The entertainment industry does not like competition.
What's the point in the business for Hollywood, another tax write off? Every time a twitch streamer turns on their stream, they lose money for Amazon. Every additional view, the more they lose.

small_law

What's the point in the business for Hollywood, another tax write off? Every time a twitch streamer turns on their stream, they lose money for Amazon. Every additional view, the more they lose.
Exactly. That's why the entertainment industry hasn't moved in. I'm saying if they ever did, it would be a bloodbath for current Twitch talent, such as they are.

Take what happened with YouTube. Once companies started pulling ads from original content creators for being too edgy, the entertainment industry swooped in and got YouTube to promote its stuff in the algorithm. It was a win-win. YouTube could run ads on safer content that would get more eyeballs and Hollywood gets more promotion and money. How many original YouTube creators from 10 years ago are still relevant and doing the same content? I can't think of very many.

Wildebeest

Exactly. That's why the entertainment industry hasn't moved in. I'm saying if they ever did, it would be a bloodbath for current Twitch talent, such as they are.

Take what happened with YouTube. Once companies started pulling ads from original content creators for being too edgy, the entertainment industry swooped in and got YouTube to promote its stuff in the algorithm. It was a win-win. YouTube could run ads on safer content that would get more eyeballs and Hollywood gets more promotion and money. How many original YouTube creators from 10 years ago are still relevant and doing the same content? I can't think of very many.
If I look on the explore tab on youtube, the content they are actively promoting, it is a lot of mainstream entertainment and sports content. I also agree that they have done way more than twitch to make themselves advertising safe. But there are a lot of popular channels on youtube which are independent and not run by established companies. A lot of those channels are very edgy, and it is even a relative safe haven for people who were considered too hot for twitch and banned, but they face a constant struggle with being demonetized or not recommended, which is a less publicly visible moderation tool than the twitch ban.

I remember when YouTube used to recommend fun stuff. Now I may as well turn on normal TV.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Twitch, Snapchat, TikTok and now Instagram are great platforms of cringe nothingness. What did you expect? Glad YouTube is still intact but not sure for how long.
I love Youtube for the meaningful indepth content I can find on an incredible number of subjects. I'd hate to see Youtube turn into an ersatz Tik Tok with nothing but shallow 1 minute videos for the ADHD generation.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love Youtube for the meaningful indepth content I can find on an incredible number of subjects. I'd hate to see Youtube turn into an ersatz Tik Tok with nothing but shallow 1 minute videos for the ADHD generation.

What's sad is that it seems like these other platforms aim to push upfront the least talented people with the least meaningful content. Some have insane talents out there and they barely get attention by a handful of people. This new generation has already surpassed all the low standards I've expected them to have by massively lower standards of nothingness.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t see the point in watching strangers play videogames. Then again I find a lot of shit the younger generations are into as dumb.

I made one attempt when there was some No Man’s Sky promo where they’d be giving ships and stuff away if you watched. I let a stream play while I made dinner, and of the few times I looked at it, I found it to be so lame. The streamer came off as fake. Fake kindness in hopes of landing suckers to subscribe or donate money. Which, don’t even get me into the stupidity of donating your money towards this crap.

When I was a kid we’d be outside playing or riding bikes. Now they live online. Zero social skills in the real world.

Alright, that’s my old man rant.

”Twitch streamer”
oN4k2R9.gif

Anyway, hope she has a speedy and full recovery, that looks horribly painful. They must’ve really fucked up when designing that foam pit.
Apparently it wasn't much of pit at all. It seems to be just a single layer of foam squares... then solid concrete! If they didn't tell her about that, then they're kinda fucked.

Thorpe

Adriana had prior back issues too, so doing that jump was going to be a bit risky either way. I believe other folks have gotten hurt in that area too.

You can tell immediately by the way she landed and the pain that immediately followed. There was practically no absorption aside from what looks like her tailbone. I felt that shit as soon as she landed. She tried playing if off, but anyone who has had similar falls could feel that pain. Hope she recovers well and surgery is successful with no chronic back issues.

I'm wondering if there was no additional cushion mats on that floor. Looks like some foam and it's straight to the concrete floor.

Wildebeest

If they set up that gladiators event thing with no real safety padding on hard concrete floors, then she should sue them for all they have. It's messed up. For the live commentators to be mocking her for not getting up and continuing the same event as if nothing happened is just incredibly trashy behaviour.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Man, those screaming nerd eSport casters are worse than Twitch streamers.

You leave Tasteless and Artosis alone.

They don’t scream 99% of the time . They aren’t shoutcasters.

They are masters of their craft.

Sojiro

Oh God I can't imagine what the TwitchCon must be like, I am sure it's a bunch of the "just chatting" people having fake and awkward interactions as the chat window is flooded with pogchamp emotes the entire time. I don't know how the fuck anyone finds that entertaining, but shit loads of people watch it.

I like to watch twitch at work, but I am almost always watching some retro streamers that are all fairly close to my age, and have around a few hundred viewers because there is actual interaction and discussion in the chat. The rest of twitch is pretty much dead to me, and I don't doubt for a second TwitchCon is as bad as the OP claims.

Last edited:
Top Bottom